hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Klopp already saying it will a full reserve team that take on Shrewsbury in the FA Cup replay.

You really have to feel for those poor boys picking up their millions in wages being asked to play in a football match because they are 'Tired'. It's cheating, plain and simple. If Liverpool don't want to play in the FA or League Cup, then don't enter the competitions.

How many domestic cups have they won in the last thirty years? Five, and only one, yes, one, in the last seventeen years.

Will be glad when they go back to being hammered 6-0 by Stoke City.

Klopp has both a job and a reputation to maintain.

The job is to assemble a team to compete at the very top end of the game and win trophies.
    His reputation is to have players who believe in him and commit all their energy in a high tempo playing style that wins games.

Both those things will be compromised when you start playing 2 to 3 games every week.

He wouldn't be doing his job as a manager if he didn't flag things that were going to have a negative impact on his staff
    and affect his success in the job he's doing and his reputation.

The fact that football players are paid way more than regular jobs and Liverpool players are paid at the higher end of football players is a completely separate topic.

They're paid to do a certain thing and that thing not being as tiring as a Nurse's job yet way more highly paid is, however unfair it may be, irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I would prefer that footballers were playing at the best of their abilities as often as possible and also that the bigger clubs didn't wind up acquiring a huge amount of the best players which they rotate - I'd prefer to see them more evenly distributed rather than players like Mahrez - who would walk into a number of teams - sitting on the bench half the time.
    Last edited by The Leith Dutch; 27-01-2020 at 07:45 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I don’t think it needs consistency, it just needs people to stop complaining. Everyone understands the predicament Klopp finds himself in, he should just do what he needs to do.
    I disagree, he has taken it to the extremes so it was always going to attract attention.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It’s a question of priorities. Ridiculous to argue otherwise.

The big clubs want complete freedom to organise lucrative long haul tours of their key ‘territories’ and then complain about long established cup competitions which, by the way, help to redistribute income to smaller clubs.

The EPL obviously doesn’t care about anything except itself.
    Jurgen Klopp's job is to get Liverpool winning as much as possible, it's not his job to look after the finances of lower league teams. He's putting out a team that he'll believe should be strong enough to get through the tie.

People saying "But they do big pre-season friendly tours" miss the point - that's after a long-ish summer break and builds match fitness into the team. This is already after they've competed in the Club World Championship, that European Super Cup thing, half of the EPL whilst only dropping two points and the League Cup up to that point. Rest is an important part of being an elite athlete and if he sees fit to rest his key players to allow them to compete for the rest of the season at the highest level, then that's his job.

If that's not the best thing for Shrewsbury then that's a shame, and there's also an argument as to why he's not going to be in the dugout, but those are other issues.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I disagree, he has taken it to the extremes so it was always going to attract attention.
    If they get to the final and all the big guns are playing no one will care.

United we stand here....

If they get to the final and all the big guns are playing no one will care.
    They won’t get to the final, absolutely no chance, that’s my issue.

They won’t get to the final, absolutely no chance, that’s my issue.
    You can’t say that for certain. They’ll be huge favourites to win the replay and after that you never know. They could get knocked out of Europe in the next round and that would change things. Who have you got in the next round?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Jurgen Klopp's job is to get Liverpool winning as much as possible, it's not his job to look after the finances of lower league teams. He's putting out a team that he'll believe should be strong enough to get through the tie.

People saying "But they do big pre-season friendly tours" miss the point - that's after a long-ish summer break and builds match fitness into the team. This is already after they've competed in the Club World Championship, that European Super Cup thing, half of the EPL whilst only dropping two points and the League Cup up to that point. Rest is an important part of being an elite athlete and if he sees fit to rest his key players to allow them to compete for the rest of the season at the highest level, then that's his job.

If that's not the best thing for Shrewsbury then that's a shame, and there's also an argument as to why he's not going to be in the dugout, but those are other issues.

If pre season was about fitness they wouldn’t do so much travelling.

Even winter training camps are being organised with sponsors in mind these days. The top clubs have an insatiable demand for money and need saving from themselves to be honest.

You can’t say that for certain. They’ll be huge favourites to win the replay and after that you never know. They could get knocked out of Europe in the next round and that would change things. Who have you got in the next round?
    They have Atletico Madrid next.

I have amended my response as this has now been cleared up, no hard feelings H-0762 👍
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    They have Atletico Madrid next.
    I was meaning next in the FA cup, but that will be a very tough tie to get through in Europe. If they go out of Europe the cup will become more of a priority given their massive lead in the league.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I was meaning next in the FA cup, but that will be a very tough tie to get through in Europe. If they go out of Europe the cup will become more of a priority given their massive lead in the league.
    Chelsea away

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Really don’t understand the fuss

every club has the right to play as strong or as weak a team as they want in my opinion.

if Liverpool get knocked out as a result so be it, good for Shrewsbury. If they still win even with a reserve/youth team, good for Liverpool.

not Klopps fault the FA Cup is dying on its arse. He wants the league and the champions league. Understandably so.

(That said if we get past Dundee Utd and JR is thinking of playing a weaker team in the next round he can f*** right off!)

No one,Shrewsbury will play Chelsea

No one,Shrewsbury will play Chelsea
    I doubt that very much.

United we stand here....

They won’t be favourites for the replay. It’s not a fringe team he’s talking about playing, it’s the under 18s.

Their fringe team yesterday still included Champions League winners, Brazilian internationals and someone who has played a World Cup final. The team they put out in the replay is going to be nothing like that. It’ll be the type that was 4-0 down to Aston Villa at half time when they played.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    They won’t be favourites for the replay. It’s not a fringe team he’s talking about playing, it’s the under 18s.

Their fringe team yesterday still included Champions League winners, Brazilian internationals and someone who has played a World Cup final. The team they put out in the replay is going to be nothing like that. It’ll be the type that was 4-0 down to Aston Villa at half time when they played.
    They won’t be playing a team anywhere in the same league as Villa though.

United we stand here....

Of course not but Liverpool 18s won’t be heavy favourites against a league one team.

Their second XI couldn't beat Shrewsbury despite being given a 2 goal headstart.

What chance have their youth team got?

Their second XI couldn't beat Shrewsbury despite being given a 2 goal headstart.

A good one

United we stand here....

No chance.

No chance.
    Hope so pal.

If pre season was about fitness they wouldn’t do so much travelling.

Even winter training camps are being organised with sponsors in mind these days. The top clubs have an insatiable demand for money and need saving from themselves to be honest.
    Match fitness is the entire point of pre-season. If they can also make profit from it, then that's good business as well as good squad management as opposed to just the latter.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

A slight detour but I was watching a Peter Crouch thing yesterday, where he went through the shirts he wore during his career.

He was gushing about how much it meant for him to win the FA cup with Liverpool, that it was the main competition when he was a wee boy and the Champions League didn’t exist.

We’re probably now losing the last of a generation of players for whom the FA cup was something special rather than the irrelevance / distraction it has become.

It is so sad to see one of the world’s greatest cup competitions be reduced to this thanks to the total disrespect from England’s biggest clubs.

Aye, but money.

I have almost totally lost interest in English football (well, the premier league anyway) as it is a soulless corporate mess, where some play 38 games to strive to finish 4th and mix with Europe’s elite and the rest just gamble furiously on hanging onto the coat tails of the big clubs.

It’s a 5hite spectacle when you wake up and see it for what it is.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    A slight detour but I was watching a Peter Crouch thing yesterday, where he went through the shirts he wore during his career.

He was gushing about how much it meant for him to win the FA cup with Liverpool, that it was the main competition when he was a wee boy and the Champions League didn’t exist.

We’re probably now losing the last of a generation of players for whom the FA cup was something special rather than the irrelevance / distraction it has become.

It is so sad to see one of the world’s greatest cup competitions be reduced to this thanks to the total disrespect from England’s biggest clubs.

Aye, but money.

I have almost totally lost interest in English football (well, the premier league anyway) as it is a soulless corporate mess, where some play 38 games to strive to finish 4th and mix with Europe’s elite and the rest just gamble furiously on hanging onto the coat tails of the big clubs.

It’s a 5hite spectacle when you wake up and see it for what it is.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Match fitness is the entire point of pre-season. If they can also make profit from it, then that's good business as well as good squad management as opposed to just the latter.

Thought you were a Hibs supporter.

The elite clubs are squeezing all the money out of the game and killing clubs like ours, but if even our own fans are cheering them on then the game is up.

Never really been in to English football but always watched the FA cup final growing up. It was an absolute sporting must alongside the Scottish cup final. Now I can't remember the last FA Cup final I watched. Think I went off it when Man United pulled out to play a silly competition in South America

Thought you were a Hibs supporter.

The elite clubs are squeezing all the money out of the game and killing clubs like ours, but if even our own fans are cheering them on then the game is up.
    You have a good day, I won't lower myself to responding properly to that one

Worked well for Liverpool in the end

Left by mutual consent!
    Chelsea will slap them by 3 or 4 goals if they play that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Never really been in to English football but always watched the FA cup final growing up. It was an absolute sporting must alongside the Scottish cup final. Now I can't remember the last FA Cup final I watched. Think I went off it when Man United pulled out to play a silly competition in South America
    That was the turning point right enough.

At least Liverpool fielded a team.