hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not as simple as that. It's about accountability.

I buy a ST. For that I expect to watch 90 minutes of foptva when Hibs are at home. There are obviously other perks but that's essentially it.

Likewise if I go to Tesco and buy a loaf of bread and a pint of milk I'd expect exactly that. However if someone was then standing at the end of the till every time I visited asking for a tenner to fund the 'food department' I'd have a few questions and expect a degree of control over how my money was spent.

Why is a football club any different? I've been an enthusiastic supporter of HSL, to the extent I was personally threatened on more than one occasion. However this just removes all accountability. Previously the money all went to the football department but it was in return for shares thus giving HSL contributors a voice through the acquisition of said shares. Now the club expects the same fans to continue to hand over money but they are removing that voice, the ability to hold those running the club to account and the ability to influence decision making. If people are happy with that then fine. I'm not.
    Your post sums it up brilliantly.

All other clubs sell shares or at least offer discounts or benefits, Hibs just want extra monthly DD’s into their account....Plus they want more money to buy tickets online and watch stuff from Hibs TV behind a paid firewall.

It will, as ever, be a personal decision for everyone to contribute or not.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. You think Hibs have communicated their vision for the future of the club in a couple of paragraphs about the decision to stop further share purchases?

The quotes are to give context to the decision, not to set out a way forward.

I'm sure you mentioned that you had a degree in English iirc, but (no offence) you seem to really struggle with interpreting or at least contextualising some fairly basic statements.
    Bit in bold - they've already said that, so i've got that bit, thanks. I'm just utterly underwhelmed by this new guy whose stated intent when he came in was to be "best of the rest" and ultimately mount a challenge for the league.

He now (partly by dint of the all-too familiar parsimony in the transfer window) appears to be rowing back from that at a rate of knots - you seem to have trouble understanding that there's a few of us who might want to ask some questions around that.

Others like you might just want to believer the Board know best and they've not to be scrutinized or asked to define their end game.

No offence if i've picked you up wrong or are misinterpreting you.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Bit in bold - they've already said that, so i've got that bit, thanks. I'm just utterly underwhelmed by this new guy whose stated intent when he came in was to be "best of the rest" and ultimately mount a challenge for the league.

He now (partly by dint of the all-too familiar parsimony in the transfer window) appears to be rowing back from that at a rate of knots - you seem to have trouble understanding that there's a few of us who might want to ask some questions around that.

Others like you might just want to believer the Board know best and they've not to be scrutinized or asked to define their end game.

No offence if i've picked you up wrong or are misinterpreting you.
    None taken.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    OK, I suppose with people desperate to hear RG's plans for the club.

I'm not convinced he really has any but happy to be proven wrong.
    One thing is for sure is Ron needs to get his plans out pronto now. Until he does things will fester on. Unless of course this is it, surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    None taken.
    Same

I buy a ST. For that I expect to watch 90 minutes of football when Hibs are at home. There are obviously other perks but that's essentially it.

Likewise if I go to Tesco and buy a loaf of bread and a pint of milk I'd expect exactly that. However if someone was then standing at the end of the till every time I visited asking for a tenner to fund the 'food department' I'd have a few questions and expect a degree of control over how my money was spent.

Why is a football club any different? I've been an enthusiastic supporter of HSL, to the extent I was personally threatened on more than one occasion. However this just removes all accountability. Previously the money all went to the football department but it was in return for shares thus giving HSL contributors a voice through the acquisition of said shares. Now the club expects the same fans to continue to hand over money but they are removing that voice, the ability to hold those running the club to account and the ability to influence decision making. If people are happy with that then fine. I'm not.
    That’s fair enough. Your penultimate sentence is the key though. It’s an individual choice. A majority of HSL donators were happy to see their money go to the product on the pitch. I am firmly in that camp. I don’t care about getting anything in return if my team is competing and punching it’s weight.

@hibs.net private member
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Presumably you wanted 100% of your dosh going to the share fund then? Why would you not want that money redirected to help things on the pitch? He’s made it clear that’s where the cash will go. I don’t understand why folk wouldn’t want to help their team just because the share option is closed now.
    Poor comment in my opinion. HSL in it's original form allowed supporters to INVEST in the club. As well as contributing to the funding of the club, we also received shares, giving us a stake in the finances of the club and a say in its affairs. It's now effectively the club looking for a handout and the money going in may increase the value of RG's shareholding. I think this is really poor and HSL have been treated appallingly in the sale and acquisition of the club. While I love my football club and want to secure its future there are far more important things in life deserving of handouts than highly paid footballers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

That’s fair enough. Your penultimate sentence is the key though. It’s an individual choice. A majority of HSL donators were happy to see their money go to the product on the pitch. I am firmly in that camp. I don’t care about getting anything in return if my team is competing and punching it’s weight.
    The team is not really competing at the moment and certainly not punching above our weight. It's time we were told of RG's plans
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    ]Poor comment in my opinion. HSL in it's original form allowed supporters to INVEST in the club. As well as contributing to the funding of the club, we also received shares, giving us a stake in the finances of the club and a say in its affairs. It's now effectively the club looking for a handout and the money going in may increase the value of RG's shareholding. I think this is really poor and HSL have been treated appallingly in the sale and acquisition of the club. While I love my football club and want to secure its future there are far more important things in life deserving of handouts than highly paid footballers.

exactly how I feel, but expressed far more eloquently than I ever could

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    ]Poor comment in my opinion. HSL in it's original form allowed supporters to INVEST in the club. As well as contributing to the funding of the club, we also received shares, giving us a stake in the finances of the club and a say in its affairs. It's now effectively the club looking for a handout and the money going in may increase the value of RG's shareholding. I think this is really poor and HSL have been treated appallingly in the sale and acquisition of the club. While I love my football club and want to secure its future there are far more important things in life deserving of handouts than highly paid footballers.

A supposed millionaire who wants fans to invest, without hearing his mission statement and visions for the Club is galling

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    No excuse for anyone who can afford it not to contribute now.
    There will be many perfectly reasonable reasons that people will not contribute and they simply do not have to justify themselves.

It is voluntary.

Personally I have paused my contributions whilst I await what the owner’s plans are.

I don’t have any major gripe with the club but will be interested to see how much they want for season tickets next year before I consider restarting any payments. It does seem that the owner is expecting more money from supporters and like many people there’s a limit to how much I can take from my family’s income.

An obvious point but one worth making. This is a deliberate and considered decision by the owner. He has set out to thwart HSL in terms of them gaining shares and has done so.

Now time for him to pony up with his plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy a ST. For that I expect to watch 90 minutes of football when Hibs are at home. There are obviously other perks but that's essentially it.

If you're not happy with Tesco then you can shop at Asda or Morrisons. If you're not happy with Hibs, I don't see you attending the Tiny PBS or Spaghettihad instead.

There is still accountability by the club to its shareholders (HSL or individuals like us) and to the fans. So if the money goes on better wages for the players, we're happy. If it goes on disco lights, we stop paying in.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

We're in a transfer window that people are screaming out for the club to spend money in, yet many are all set to stop their own contributions. How's the next transfer window going to go then?

@hibs.net private member
    We compare ourselves to Aberdeen. Can understand why some folk aren’t happy but for me it’s about stepping up. Time to pony up.

Don’t plan to stop my contributions but I am sorry, this statement is damage limitation with a mix of emotional blackmail.

Basically Hibs are saying:-
    1. We won’t issue any more shares
    2. But you better not cancel your contributions to HSL
    3. If you do, you will be partly responsible for the lack of player investment.
    4. We will be in touch in 6 months or so (over and above season ticket renewal in Feb/March

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    We're in a transfer window that people are screaming out for the club to spend money in, yet many are all set to stop their own contributions. How's the next transfer window going to go then?
    Be nice to receive the Account's to see how much money the club has?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    a club like Hibs should be self sustainable without additional donations.

This needs explaining more than that brief statement?
    Are we expected to now essentially buy our own squad without having knowledge of who we intend to sign,how much it costs or have dibs in who we go for.just blindly pay in more donations.
    This needs thorough planning and communication.
    Is this the plans going forward or is this just the end of the hsl matter?
    If this is how we are moving forward I think we as a support need to be smarter, and the different branches should call a joint meeting to discuss this.
    And then ask the questions if the club wont make things clear.

If its a case of the folk who can afford it just donating more,then said donations should be organised projects.
    For example a certain target in the transfer market needs x amount heres what we need from donators,with a selected trusted band of people working with the club on achieving the target.
    And bucket collections at games.etc.

Hopefully better if the club get their finger out and attract a shirt sponsor, create better commercial sponsorship deals and we recruit players who are hungry to succeed who can then be sold at a profit.

All of the above dwarfs any HSL reduction in income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    HSL are shareholders in the club, just like RG is.

If supporters are expecting RG as majority shareholder to pour money into the club it’s not unreasonable to expect that other shareholders to do the same.

HSL’s remit now is to fundraise in order to invest in the club with a commitment from the board that any money they invest will be put towards the playing budget.

If people don’t want to fund that without HSL receiving shares in return that’s a perfectly valid choice as it isn’t what they were set up to do. On the other hand if people don’t care about fan ownership and buying shares but want to put and affordable amount of their money into the club, as we are expecting RG to do, then that’s also a perfectly valid choice and HSL gives them a way to do this.

Some people will want to know what the majority shareholder is committing to before they decide if they want to donate to HSL. That’s fair enough but the relentless negativity about it is very tiring and doing nothing to help the club at this point.

Give them a chance, these things don’t happen overnight.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I put away a relatively small amount every month. Don't even notice it coming out of my bank any more. Don't give a **** about shares, or certificates, or owning part of the club. I have always wanted my money to contribute to the playing budget. And before anyone says but but but. If it means my money pays towards a lightbulb then I'm ok with that because at the end of the day that would ultimately come out of the playing budget. There is no way to split the club annual running costs from the playing budget, one and the same and interlinked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    a club like Hibs should be self sustainable without additional donations.
    We should. But that puts us with the 5th biggest budget and it wouldn't be close to Aberdeen and hearts in 3rd and 4th.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Ron’s plan and vision needs to be communicated and very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post

If supporters are expecting RG as majority shareholder to pour money into the club it’s not unreasonable to expect that other shareholders to do the same.

HSL’s remit now is to fundraise in order to invest in the club with a commitment from the board that any money they invest will be put towards the playing budget.

If people don’t want to fund that without HSL receiving shares in return that’s a perfectly valid choice as it isn’t what they were set up to do. On the other hand if people don’t care about fan ownership and buying shares but want to put and affordable amount of their money into the club, as we are expecting RG to do, then that’s also a perfectly valid choice and HSL gives them a way to do this.

Some people will want to know what the majority shareholder is committing to before they decide if they want to donate to HSL. That’s fair enough but the relentless negativity about it is very tiring and doing nothing to help the club at this point.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    We should. But that puts us with the 5th biggest budget and it wouldn't be close to Aberdeen and hearts in 3rd and 4th.
    Both of whom have the additional donations.

I think it would help if HSL donators should get some benefit eg 10% off in the shop or the cost of a season ticket. The AberDNA scheme has perks like that.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

I think it would help if HSL donators should get some benefit eg 10% off in the shop or the cost of a season ticket. The AberDNA scheme has perks like that.
    But then that’s taking income from elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Be nice to receive the Account's to see how much money the club has?
    :agree:

The last set of figures ran to a period that was nearly 20 months ago, and there’s been several significant events since that shareholders still have no visibility of. Pretty poor IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Ron’s plan and vision needs to be communicated and very soon.
    Surely we will hear something as soon as the window is over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

You mean something simple and tangible like..

Join Hibernian Supporters and if you pay in a minimum of £15 per month you’ll not pay any additional ticketing costs, we’ll give you UK Hibs TV and 10% discount at the shop on non match days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post

One will be (quite reasonably) looking to grow their investment, the other was to stop a future carpetbagger and is not seeking any return. The person looking to grow an investment has to decide how they grow the investment. There is no responsibility on the ones with a protective shareholding to grow their investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk