hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-4-2 and Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The best formation for Scott Allan is 3-5-2 with another couple of energetic central midfielders, a bit of pace out wide, and two strikers for him to pick out passes to.

It’s a formation that suits our players, with the possible exception of Lewis at WB.

Personally, I am in favour of playing a formation that suits our best players, and Scott Allan is most certainly one of those.
    Even though Lewis was very good the last time we played it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Like I said. He's our most talented player. So we agree there.

Doesn't mean he should escape criticism. And I genuinely think, by his standards, he's been brutal the past few games. If Slivka had given the ball away as much as Allan has he'd be getting slaughtered on here.

Anyway. We agree about how much we need him playing well in our team!
    I was thinking after he went off on Wednesday that it might have one of the worst performances from a Hibs player ever.

Nothing came off for him at all.

He’s got enough credit in the bank for us not to overdo the criticism, but he was awful and looked tired.

@hibs.net private member
    Allan can play well in a diamond at the tip.

However I agree that he is most effective in a 3-5-2 where he has wing backs to feed as well as strikers. Keeps opposition guessing.

Whatever I definitely think he needs rested today and maybe Tuesday he can come off bench and give us a final push to qualify if we are up against it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for adding well thought out replies to this thread, good to see discussion instead of name calling and digs, good to see peoples ideas on the players and how we should try and play them.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Keep Horgan as an impact player where he is more useful. Wednesday being a prime example.
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Even though Lewis was very good the last time we played it.
    Yes, he was.

I’ve always preferred Lewis as a full back who does a bit of attacking rather than someone whose primary focus is attacking.

And at 32, how much longer will he have the legs for it,

Yes, he was.

I’ve always preferred Lewis as a full back who does a bit of attacking rather than someone whose primary focus is attacking.

And at 32, how much longer will he have the legs for it,
    True, thankfully he's a fit laddie.

I always see lots of people wanting this formation but it doesn't allow Allan to play, instead needing 2 energetic midfielders. The players seem unable to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 so maybe reverting back to 3 at the back lets us have the 2 strikers and Allan. Thoughts?
    Scott is not playing well enough at the moment to be in the team. He will still be an important player for us though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Like I said. He's our most talented player. So we agree there.

Doesn't mean he should escape criticism. And I genuinely think, by his standards, he's been brutal the past few games. If Slivka had given the ball away as much as Allan has he'd be getting slaughtered on here.

Anyway. We agree about how much we need him playing well in our team!
    👍👍

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I wonder why we haven’t tried 3-5-2 this season yet too. Seems it would suit the players we’ve got quite well.

I’m a fan of 352 but my concern would be that Boyle as a wing back would take away too much of his play in the opposing half, we need him in the final third.

I wouldn’t be against seeing Allan on the left of a 4, for example:

................Bogdan.......
    Gray Jackson. Hanlon Stevenson
    Boyle Omeonga Hallberg Allan
    ..........Kamberi...Doidge...

He naturally drifts out to the left hand side during the game anyway and from there he could still cut in on his right and make the killer pass. When not in possession the midfield gets tight with two banks of four and make teams play it down the flanks.

With that team it’s got options to be versatile and change formations throughout the game.

I really like 3-5-2. It is a fluid, versatile system and gives both width and defensive cover. I also think it suits a CH of Paul Hanlon's style, as he likes to step forward into midfield and this system allows him to do that in the knowledge he has two central defensive partners behind him.

Obviously it hinges on wing backs who have the energy and pace to get up the park and back again. Lewis still has the fitness levels, although his apparent lack of confidence in the final 3rd continues to let him down. Given SDG's injury problems, I'm not convinced he still has it in him to play the role. But we have to hope that young players in the reserves are going to be pushing both of the old legends in the near future. That's the point of youth development, after all.

Since the thread references Allan, it should be a formation that works for him too. But we have to find a way that suits the team generally and produces results, rather than one which seems to support Scotty. Given his talent, ideally he would fit into the team's style of play as it would be a real shame if his 3rd spell here doesn't turn out as successful as the first two.

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=inglisavhibs;6055993]Scott is not playing well enough at the moment to be in the team. He will still be an important player for us though.[/
    Partly agree with this, however I saw a post on here describing Scottie as brutal the last few games. Does that include his vision for both goals at Tannadice ?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Liam978;6056253]
    Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Scott is not playing well enough at the moment to be in the team. He will still be an important player for us though.[/
    Partly agree with this, however I saw a post on here describing Scottie as brutal the last few games. Does that include his vision for both goals at Tannadice ?
    brutal, bombscare, still dining out on... all just indicators that without further explanation perhaps the rest of the post should be ignored. I blame the Tabloids and shorter attention spans.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’d love to see us go 3-5-2 again. Boyle on the right, Lewis on the left.
    This. With Gray at the right side of a back three.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’m a fan of 352 but my concern would be that Boyle as a wing back would take away too much of his play in the opposing half, we need him in the final third.

He naturally drifts out to the left hand side during the game anyway and from there he could still cut in on his right and make the killer pass. When not in possession the midfield gets tight with two banks of four and make teams play it down the flanks.

With that team it’s got options to be versatile and change formations throughout the game.
    Didn't we play Allan there against St Johnstone earlier in the season? Then Hecky decided to take him off.

Lot of criticism of Scot Allan recently but we got better when he came on yesterday. Not totally down to what he done in possession but also because he stopped the Motherwell no 22 cruising about like Pirlo like he had done all match until then. Motherwell had controlled possession until then because Omeonga and Newall were outnumbered and were not able to pick him up. Once Allan came on he moved into that space and we stopped them playing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Lot of criticism of Scot Allan recently but we got better when he came on yesterday. Not totally down to what he done in possession but also because he stopped the Motherwell no 22 cruising about like Pirlo like he had done all match until then. Motherwell had controlled possession until then because Omeonga and Newall were outnumbered and were not able to pick him up. Once Allan came on he moved into that space and we stopped them playing.

Need to remember that he's not playing alongside the likes of McGinn and McGeough anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

He provided a better cutting edge with some very good passing when he went on.

Once he was just getting into position to get his pass away when he was cynically taken out from behind. Scotland is the only country in the world where that isn’t a foul, a yellow card and a strong word that one more foul and you’re off.

Thanks for adding well thought out replies to this thread, good to see discussion instead of name calling and digs, good to see peoples ideas on the players and how we should try and play them.
    Fanny

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

He won’t track back tho. So in that set up Lewis would get overloaded and there would be a thread on here saying how hibs need a whole new back 4. (Started by 90+2)

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Fanny
    Haha

@hibs.net private member
    I was thinking after he went off on Wednesday that it might have one of the worst performances from a Hibs player ever.
    Steady!!

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    That’s because Flo can’t play out wide
    Spot on.

I think yesterday when we went to a 4-2-3-1 that we looked a better team with better balance ....the only problem I think we have with it is that the players need to make it work for us ...in terms of closing the game down, when Scott Allan came on he did very little and that may well be down to where he is just now but, thought our shape was better and with better players in certain areas it will work ..I actually think we have the players to play this system, with the option to change it if need be readily. Not convinced we should have Boyle and Horgan on the park starting many games though ...

Joe Newall should be in any formation we try just now

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Joe Newall should be in any formation we try just now
    Hes like a new signing in centre mid tbh.

He was excellent yesterday again, working hard and closing down with abit quality on the ball. Drove forward with ball too.

Its just a surprise its took both managers so long to realise centre mid is his best position even tho every interview he has done he has said that centre mid is his best position.

Hope he keeps it up

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    I think yesterday when we went to a 4-2-3-1 that we looked a better team with better balance ....the only problem I think we have with it is that the players need to make it work for us ...in terms of closing the game down, when Scott Allan came on he did very little and that may well be down to where he is just now but, thought our shape was better and with better players in certain areas it will work ..I actually think we have the players to play this system, with the option to change it if need be readily. Not convinced we should have Boyle and Horgan on the park starting many games though ...
    I think it's totally the wrong formation to play at home to Hamilton Accies when expecting to attack and win, but I think it's quite good when we're playing better teams, looking to keep it tight and hit on the break. Sadly Motherwell away is one of those games these days, but even under Hecky we probably had our best performance this season under him playing this way at home to Celtic.

I think it's totally the wrong formation to play at home to Hamilton Accies when expecting to attack and win, but I think it's quite good when we're playing better teams, looking to keep it tight and hit on the break. Sadly Motherwell away is one of those games these days, but even under Hecky we probably had our best performance this season under him playing this way at home to Celtic.
    Played properly, 4-2-3-1 is not a defensive formation. We were much more attacking yesterday when we were set up like this. If Boyle and Horgan get forward quickly then it’s more like a 4-3-3 .