hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lose Boyle and I fear for Hibs

I think we all agree Boyle is, by the proverbial country mile, Hibs best and most influential player. As Celtic circle I really fear for our team as an attacking threat without him. Hibs may or may not get McNulty to replace Oli, but we don’t have the funds required to replace Boyle, when out injured we were a FAR poorer side in an attacking sense and unless Hibs pull something dramatic out the bag we will be a poorer squad come the end of January without Boyle, whether McNulty is with us or not.

2. Log in to remove the advert

When is his contract up?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebausburst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we all agree Boyle is, by the proverbial country mile, Hibs best and most influential player. As Celtic circle I really fear for our team as an attacking threat without him. Hibs may or may not get McNulty to replace Oli, but we don’t have the funds required to replace Boyle, when out injured we were a FAR poorer side in an attacking sense and unless Hibs pull something dramatic out the bag we will be a poorer squad come the end of January without Boyle, whether McNulty is with us or not.
    Boyle is one of the very few players in the current squad who is a genuine entertainer. If he does go, he'll be a sad miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    When is his contract up?
    18 months

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Huge miss but we will survive, we always do.

@hibs.net private member
    We will lose Boyle in the summer. We will not lose Boyle in this transfer window. I can’t understand why people think this might actually happen.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    We survive every time he is injured we will survive again.

It depends on the circumstances of his departure.

If he goes now because we receive a valuation that is appropriate for a player of his importance, adjusted upwards for OF tax (if that’s where he goes) then I’m ok with it.

If we somehow find ourselves giving our best player to Celtic for any of the poor reasons that have been suggested then I won’t be happy.

I have a horrible feeling it will be the latter and within a year of taking over Ron Gordon’s going to have some questions to answer, if he can be bothered.

We knew and accepted in was time for McGinn and McGeouch to move on. This is a wee bit like the “Scott Allan saga”, where Hibs will be making some sort of statement via their actions.

Unnecessary title with hysterics written all over it. If Boyle goes we will move on as well. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.......

He's an important player and a club legend but we've lost important players like him in the past and we seem to cope alright so I think we might be ok.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurry Face View Post
    Yes but we might as well get excited about the players we might sign too.
    Things will be really good.
    When Boyle got injured at short notice we signed Middleton on loan from Rangers. I suspect any replacement would have the same ‘excitement’.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

We will never reject decent money from any team. Way of the world.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Nothing to gain at all by selling MB at this point.

@hibs.net private member
    Seen this scenario acted out so many times down the decades since the Joe Baker era when he asked the club for an extra fiver. The press at that time reported 'Hibs can't meet Baker's demands.'
    I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't fight tooth and nail to keep Boyle at ER. Offer him a new and improved contract for starters. His value is likely to increase greatly in the next few years so giving Celtic the green light is not in our best interests, or his, if he was foolish enough to go there.

We have lost way better players in the past and have always done ok. Its just part of watching Hibs.

Although I think the OP is slightly over stating it, I tend to agree.

Our games without Boyler this season, we've been mince. With him, we've been much improved.

Personally, next time his wife is in for training, I'd lock her in a cupboard and only release her once MB has signed an extended deal.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    We have lost way better players in the past and have always done ok. Its just part of watching Hibs.
    Just okay is the issue. We sold our best players in 07/08 and ended up ***** for years then eventually got relegated in a fully complete half empty stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeros16 View Post
    We survive every time he is injured we will survive again.
    We got considerably worse when he was injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    As much as Boyle has improved, he won’t be an automatic starter if he were to sign for Celtic. Similar to Johnny Hayes in that regard in my opinion.
    However he’ll probably triple his wage, so nobody can blame him for wanting to go.

Whatever happens, we’ve seen it all before. The most important thing is that the club will move on also, as will the fans.

I hope we hang onto him as long as we possibly can but business is business and we all need to acknowledge were we are on the food chain.
    Last edited by Weegreenman; 24-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Have we always done ok? Every time we lose a good player we replace them with an inferior player. There may be a couple of exceptions, but generally that’s what happens. We definitely shouldn’t be selling Boyle under any circumstances in this window, if we do we might as well raise the white flag on this season.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Have we always done ok? Every time we lose a good player we replace them with an inferior player. There may be a couple of exceptions, but generally that’s what happens. We definitely shouldn’t be selling Boyle under any circumstances in this window, if we do we might as well raise the white flag on this season.
    How could we possibly afford a better player than Boyle as his replacement if his fee is around 1.5M?

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    As much as Boyle has improved, he won’t be an automatic starter if he were to sign for Celtic. Similar to Johnny Hayes in that regard in my opinion.
    However he’ll probably triple his wage, so nobody can blame him for wanting to go.

Whatever happens, we’ve seen it all before. The most important thing is that the club will move on also, as will the fans.

I hope we hang onto him as long as we possibly can but business is business and we all need to acknowledge we’re we are on the food chain.
    We don’t need to sell players so our position on the food chain is irrelevant. There’s far to many people just willing to accept players leaving imo. I know it happens, but it should happen on our terms and that’s not in this window.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    How could we possibly afford a better player than Boyle as his replacement if his fee is around 1.5M?
    We can’t, that’s why we as fans should put pressure on the club not to sell him. Keeping Boyle will be better for the punters in the stand than money in the bank account.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We don’t need to sell players so our position on the food chain is irrelevant. There’s far to many people just willing to accept players leaving imo. I know it happens, but it should happen on our terms and that’s not in this window.
    Fair enough but you need to take into account the wishes of the player. Look at Erickson for Spurs. If a player wants to go, there’s not much a club like Hibs can do about. We won’t allow his contract to run down, no way.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair enough but you need to take into account the wishes of the player. Look at Erickson for Spurs. If a player wants to go, there’s not much a club like Hibs can do about. We won’t allow his contract to run down, no way.
    The wishes of the player were taken into account that is why he has a wage and contract. The player is required by the club to play for rest of season to get Hibs higher in table. That should be the end of the matter.

If he wants to go then he should be told he can leave at the end of the season.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Okay, every time we lose a player we usually replace them with someone who can’t even get in the team yet alone come close to the capabilities of the lost player.

I would like to see us hang on to our top performers as much as possible. I understand there are other considerations (mainly financial), but let’s not resign ourselves to the fact that we have lost players before and continued to “survive”.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    The wishes of the player were taken into account that is why he has a wage and contract. The player is required by the club to play for rest of season to get Hibs higher in table. That should be the end of the matter.
    If his agent was any good there would be a sell on clause in the contract.

This is a media induced story which folk are giving creedence to.
    Where is the evidence that Celtic are moving for Boyle?