hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar

Dangerous levels of stress in football fans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Would be interesting to see similar tests done at Easter Road, surely there aren't many teams more stressful to support than us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The joy, stress, anxiety then elation I went through in the last 3 minutes alone on 21/5/16 backs that report up. I went through the ringer so much I was strangly flat and shattered that evening. It definitely takes it right out you

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Would be interesting to see similar tests done at Easter Road, surely there aren't many teams more stressful to support than us.
    Would hate to see what mine look like in the last 20 minutes of a derby when we’re ahead. Especially at Tynecastle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The joy, stress, anxiety then elation I went through in the last 3 minutes alone on 21/5/16 backs that report up. I went through the ringer so much I was strangly flat and shattered that evening. It definitely takes it right out you
    I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! 🍺

Interesting stuff.

I may have mentioned this before, but a guy I know who is a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur had witnessed 3 cardiac arrests at White Hart Lane in recent years - 2 amongst the fans around him then Fabrice Muamba was the third although obviously that happened on the pitch.

Personally, I've stopped going to Hibs games against Rangers and Celtic and I've stopped going to Tynecastle, mainly because I've noticed that I get wound up to a level that is just not healthy, and as a 42 year old who carries a bit of timber and has a very stressful job I've just decided it is something I can do without.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! 🍺
    I did 😂 I’ve only been elated like that 3 times, if I could bottle that feeling I’d be a billionaire.

I was genuinely dead on my feet. Tried to get drunk but couldn't. Was surreal. The next day at the parade was a different story!

Absolutely. One of thine things I noted... we were shattered.

Got going again back in Leith for a couple of hours but even then had to retire early.

Emotion does indeed tire you out.

Oh.. and it's a long run to the Rangers end as well

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I'm surprised that there weren't ten or so cardiac arrests at the cup final in those last two minutes and I'm being serious. Never felt nerves or even downright terror like that before, or indeed the change in emotion after the final whistle went.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I'm surprised that there weren't ten or so cardiac arrests at the cup final in those last two minutes and I'm being serious. Never felt nerves or even downright terror like that before, or indeed the change in emotion after the final whistle went.
    The ref perhaps saved one or two by awarding us that free kick that should've been theirs. Imagine what it would've been like if they'd been able to put one last ball into our box.

Someone should test hibs fans stress levels everytime we take a throw in.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    I agree about the astonishing emotional stress levels of the SC final, but I've found that since then I'm a bit more zen about watching Hibs. It's not that I'm completely calm now, I still can and do get worked up and nervous, but not to the same degree. Losing still stings but not as much, somehow.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Interesting stuff.

I may have mentioned this before, but a guy I know who is a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur had witnessed 3 cardiac arrests at White Hart Lane in recent years - 2 amongst the fans around him then Fabrice Muamba was the third although obviously that happened on the pitch.

Personally, I've stopped going to Hibs games against Rangers and Celtic and I've stopped going to Tynecastle, mainly because I've noticed that I get wound up to a level that is just not healthy, and as a 42 year old who carries a bit of timber and has a very stressful job I've just decided it is something I can do without.
    42. Get yerself sat beside me.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I was like that after The Skol Cup Final, completely the opposite after the Killie and Rangers finals, could've and did carry on for days! ��
    You were still a laddie in 1991 though
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 24-01-2020 at 08:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    There's an older couple in the West sitting behind me who manage to get themselves wound up about opposition players stealing a few yards at a throw in even if they are deep in their own half. I do worry at least of one of them is going to keel over during a match!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    There's an older couple in the West sitting behind me who manage to get themselves wound up about opposition players stealing a few yards at a throw in even if they are deep in their own half. I do worry at least of one of them is going to keel over during a match!
    Being honest. its one of my pet-hates too - made worse by the fact that our players infuriatingly 'play the game' and never do it !

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I started shaking and felt like I was going to throw up until full time. Then I burst into tears.

Was also crying before the Hearts final. The lad behind me was also in tears.

So much emotion in this game we love.

Find it ironic that that article is full of weeping Brazil fans. Purleese! Right enough, it’s tough supporting Brazil.

Try being a Hibs and Scotland fan.

J

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Being honest. its one of my pet-hates too - made worse by the fact that our players infuriatingly 'play the game' and never do it !
    Keep an eye on Lewis tomorrow then, he steals yards at every throw in.

Dr Robert Winston in one of his programmes following England fans at the world cup stated that the pain of losing is two and a half time stronger than the joy of winning so I'm not surprised at those findings at all. It use to spoil my whole weekend if Hibs lost. Now it's just my sat/weds night. Age obviously mellowing me.😅

I was genuinely dead on my feet. Tried to get drunk but couldn't. Was surreal. The next day at the parade was a different story!
    You are the resurrection. Welcome back my friend 😀

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Me too. I was absolutely spent by the time I got home.

Before the game I said to my wife she’d see me when she’d see me if we won. Just went home had a couple of glasses of whisky and went to bed.

The Boxing Day Derby I was stressed out my mind watching it at home on the telly, and that was probably one of the least stressful of recent times in so much as we took an early lead and then fairly soon after had a 2 goal cushion! I find watching games on the telly a lot more stressful than watching them live in person for some reason.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Ach the more stressfully crazy the better. Makes you feel alive!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Like practically everybody the last two minutes of the SC final were as nerve wracked as I've ever felt at a game of football, I just sat with my eyes shut and my hands over my ears repeating hold out, hold out, hold out over and over at the top of my voice .... if that had been in the street they would have come to take me away

Funnily enough I don't get too stressed when I'm actually at games these days. For some reason if I'm watching Hibs on the telly and especially away at Tynecastle I get far more stressed out ... strange

I'm not that surprised that the study found lassies got just as stressed as the blokes ... some of the Hibs supporting females I've known are proper mental

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Ach the more stressfully crazy the better. Makes you feel alive!
    That was the thing about the last Tynecastle derby I went to. It was the one when the linesmen and Lennon were hit by coins and there was a steady stream of projectiles flying back and forward between the stands.

It was hell, it was a nightmare getting in, the football was diabolical and I was just desperate for us not to lose.

Then we scraped our point and I went home fairly happy.

Testimonial Due
    The old firm and the derby and stress and heart rates are high. Even the 5-1 league cup final against Killie, untillit was 4-1 I was stressed. This seasons been with the late goals conceded. Just waiting for the anguish. Iand I am watching on Hibs TV.

Yep. When the winning goal went in I was going mental, I felt feelings that I had never felt before and I'm unlikely to ever experience again. Then when the game finished I was very happy but I was also stunned and then leaving the stadium and driving home it was quite a surreal feeling, almost a bit anti-climactic. It was a very weird feeling for a few hours afterwards.

@hibs.net private member
    I get most worked up trying to listen to games on the radio, I think it's due to the fact that the commentary is so poor with open mike you never have a clue what the heck is going on.....switch off half the time. I am a lot more chilled these days at games, still have the odd rant, age has definately chilled me out!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I get most worked up trying to listen to games on the radio, I think it's due to the fact that the commentary is so poor with open mike you never have a clue what the heck is going on.....switch off half the time. I am a lot more chilled these days at games, still have the odd rant, age has definately chilled me out!
    Listening to football on the radio used to be a pleasure. Last 5 mins of the first half commentary and the whole second half, with updates from other grounds.

It’s now just a racket.

I remember celebrating Kerr's goal at Tynecastle in the Roseburn Stand so hard that I could feel my heart thumping in my chest and had genuine little black spots in my peripheral vision after about 30 seconds or so. Would've been a scary experience had I really thought about it too much