hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69
  1. #1
    Testimonial Due BegbieHSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,300

    Elgin player got deliberately booked against us for a bet

    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/1098536/exclusive-footballer-allegedly-got-himself-booked-in-hibernian-scottish-cup-tie-in-16k-betting-scam/

    EXCLUSIVE: Footballer allegedly got himself booked in Hibernian Scottish Cup tie in £16k betting scam

    Scottish League footballer is among four Angus men to have appeared in court over an alleged £16,000 betting scam.

    Former Arbroath forward Kane Hester is charged with forming a fraudulent scheme with three co-accused to receive a booking during a Scottish Cup game between his current club Elgin City and Hibernian last July.

    Prosecutors say this led to a £16,000 payout by online gambling firm Bet365.

    The accused men are all from Montrose and appeared on petition, privately and separately, before Sheriff Gregor Murray at Forfar Sheriff Court on Thursday.

    Hester, 24, Brodie Myers, 26, Calvin Parrott, 24, and Findlay Soutar, 23, face a charge of obtaining money through the formation of a fraudulent scheme.

    The petition alleges the scheme involved placing bets on Hester receiving a booking from the referee during the cup game at Elginís Borough Briggs Stadium on July 26 last year.

    Prosecutors say between July 25 and August 2, the men agreed the footballer would purposely commit a foul, placed three separate bets on him receiving a booking and that Hester received a booking by stamping on the calf of an opponent.

    The petition alleges the yellow card Hester received led to a payout of approximately £16,000 in winnings from Bet365, which was obtained by fraud.

    An alternative charge on the petition under the Gambling Act 2005 alleges the four accused cheated at gambling between July 25 and August 2 last year by placing three separate bets Hester would receive a booking and that the player intentionally stamped on the calf of a rival player, resulting in the five-figure winnings being paid out.

    All four accused made no plea or declaration and were committed for further examination.

    They were each granted bail by Sheriff Murray.

    A further court date has not been set.

    The Edinburgh club won the July 2019 cup tie 2-0 through goals by Joe Newell and Florian Kamberi.

    Centre forward Hester joined Elgin City in January 2019 on a contract due to run to 2022.

    He has made a total of 30 appearances for the club in League Two and cup competition this season, the last in the 3-2 home defeat to Stenhousemuir on Saturday.

    He previously played more than 60 games for Arbroath.

    Persons convicted of offences under the section of the Gambling Act the accused have appeared on can face a maximum prison sentence of two years on indictment, or 51 weeks at summary level.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Testimonial Due BegbieHSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,300
    Got that booking from stamping on one of our players. Anyone remember it?

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFlo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got that booking from stamping on one of our players. Anyone remember it?
    Whoever it was should sue him for £16k.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,613
    I remember him putting in a brutal tackle in that game. Shouldíve been a red card. Donít remember it as a stamp but could be wrong.

  6. #5
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,110
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    This is probably more common than you'd think.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  7. #6
    Testimonial Due BegbieHSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is probably more common than you'd think.
    Thatís my thinking.

    Heís a fairly unknown player, so high bets on him doing something like that probably would be a bit of a red flag for the bookie.

    Better known Premier League/Championship players at it? I wouldnít bet against it.

  8. #7
    Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    roond the corner
    Posts
    1,342
    Was Boyle's injury that night not from a bad tackle?

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,932
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFlo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís my thinking.

    Heís a fairly unknown player, so high bets on him doing something like that probably would be a bit of a red flag for the bookie.

    Better known Premier League/Championship players at it? I wouldnít bet against it.
    Not dissimilar to Matt Le Tissier launching the ball out of play at kick off.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember him putting in a brutal tackle in that game. Should’ve been a red card. Don’t remember it as a stamp but could be wrong.
    The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

    Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.

  11. #10
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

    Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.
    That's right, I remember being disgusted by it at the time, it seemed so full of intent. We know why now. Absolute ****bag.

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

    Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.
    Yip, it was a shocker, absolutely no attempt for the ball (which now makes sense) should of been a red.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    917
    Shot in the dark here and Iím not suggesting he be charged, but I just read the title and I remembered the challenge straight away as it was that bad.

    As it was an absolute shocker, and we now know it was pre-mediated and not just a football related incident. Had he seriously injured the player, could he be charged for assault also?

  14. #13
    If he is found guilty of this and I was Doige's lawyer, I would advide him to sue for damages.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Removed.
    Personally if I were you I would remove that comment as it is potentially liablous and potentially costly to both you and .bet as a forum

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Gyle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,740
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    More than happy to have that removed, perhaps shouldn't have said any names.
    Think it's been made clear that it is pretty rife around football and there will be even higher profile names than the one mentioned that are guilty of it.
    Hibernian Football Club

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,893
    The bookies should stop offering bets on these sort of things. Individual player getting booked. Throw in in the first minute etc. Restrict odds being offered to things that are difficult for one person to influence.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,576
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

    Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.
    That's it exactly! IIRC the ref was about 2 yards away. Like you I thought he was a bit of a bampot but he actually had some ability & as it's an unusual name, I've looked out for him ever since.

  19. #18
    So the big billion pound company's lose basically nothing to the little guy. And they end up in court. 😂

  20. #19
    Testimonial Due BegbieHSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the big billion pound company's lose basically nothing to the little guy. And they end up in court. 😂
    Iíve got no time for big betting companies, and would be happy if all the big yins went bust.

    This is about the integrity of the game though. A player deliberately altered his game, for individual purposes, and nothing to do with helping his team, so he should be reprimanded.

    It was foul play too, and could have seriously hurt Doidgey - all so him and his pals would benefit financially.

  21. #20
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,786
    Getting booked for fouling a Hibs-player ? - the odds must've been astronomical !

  22. #21
    If you want to get booked why not just boot the ball away or waste time? Boys obviously a bit of a dick if the best way to get a booking in his mind is to stamp on someone.

  23. #22
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was Boyle's injury that night not from a bad tackle?
    Seem to remember Boyle breaking down and no tackle being involved in his injury. Might be wrong, memory isnít what it used to be.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you want to get booked why not just boot the ball away or waste time? Boys obviously a bit of a dick if the best way to get a booking in his mind is to stamp on someone.
    Or just call the referee a @@@&%$£

    The only person in the whole of Scottish football who can't be under scrutiny for this sort of thing is Scott Brown...he doesn't get booked no matter what he does !

  25. #24
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    276
    Shocking for a so-called professional to resort to this, if he's found guilty of course. Also breathtakingly stupid that they all thought (allegedly) that a £16,000 win on a random booking for an Elgin City player wouldn't produce a whiff of suspicion among the bookies.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is probably more common than you'd think.

    I'm swaying between what you've said above.. or... how do they think they can get away with this sort of thing when betting patterns are monitored and reported


    Do we reckon it's going on all the time but only between say 1 player and an accomplice for relatively small amounts, as opposed to letting a big group in on it and lumping it?

  27. #26
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is probably more common than you'd think.
    Yep. I know one or two who did it last weekend.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14,335
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seem to remember Boyle breaking down and no tackle being involved in his injury. Might be wrong, memory isnít what it used to be.
    Relax you're correct. His injury came from an innocuous challenge on the edge of their box, it was more to do with the way he fell than the tackle itself.

  29. #28
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally if I were you I would remove that comment as it is potentially liablous and potentially costly to both you and .bet as a forum
    .bet is a target unfortunate typo. As a member I am incensed that you are insinuating I have a gambling problem, and I am willing to bet you a substantial amount of money that you would have difficulty defending that in court.

  30. #29
    I know of a member of staff in a lower league team who says it's rife among the players in the lower leagues.

  31. #30
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .bet is a target unfortunate typo. As a member I am incensed that you are insinuating I have a gambling problem, and I am willing to bet you a substantial amount of money that you would have difficulty defending that in court.
    I've just cashed out on this.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)