hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Head Coach is adamant that he doesn’t want a player and can give solid justification eg after seeing him in training, he won’t be signed. That’s a completely different matter to scouting and signing.

The suggestion that the summer signings were all Heckingbottom finds is frankly laughable
    If the head coach doesn’t want someone then we don’t sign them. But it’s not up to the head coach? But it is if he doesn’t want them.

I’m glad this process is so transparent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If the head coach doesn’t want someone then we don’t sign them. But it’s not up to the head coach? But it is if he doesn’t want them.

I’m glad this process is so transparent.
    Its more subtle. Read Vault Boy’s post above. This interview with Mathie gives some more insight

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/there-absolutely-will-be-additions-january-hibs-sporting-director-graeme-mathie-speaks-jack-ross-transfer-window-and-head-coach-selection-process-1279347%3Famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edi...t-898415%3Famp

This interview explains how Craig and Mathie carried out coach and player recruitment. Put simply, the longer a Head Coach is with us, and the better he performs, the more input he’s granted in player selection.

With one or two exceptions, Hecky wasn’t with us long enough to earn that status.

Ten managers or head coaches in twelve years is a terrible indictment.

Imagine the shambles we would get into if we gave every one of them carte blanche to ship the previous guys choices out and bring in all their own picks?
    Last edited by RIP; 24-01-2020 at 08:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I was under the impression that Hecky had insisted that certain players were signed but that the Recruitment Team had advised against it but they were signed nonetheless?

As I’ve said numerous times before Hibs brought in 11/12 players in the summer I think? Only Hallberg and Naismith weren’t signed by PH.

Literally don’t know how many times I need to say this before people realise I’m telling them the truth!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I was under the impression that Hecky had insisted that certain players were signed but that the Recruitment Team had advised against it but they were signed nonetheless?
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    As I’ve said numerous times before Hibs brought in 11/12 players in the summer I think? Only Hallberg and Naismith weren’t signed by PH.

Literally don’t know how many times I need to say this before people realise I’m telling them the truth!!

This

That is how I remember it

Coaching Staff
    Great, more of this. Largely nonsense based on little understanding of how it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Great, more of this. Largely nonsense based on little understanding of how it actually works.
    Pray enlighten us and kindly tell us who signed who in that case?

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edi...t-898415%3Famp

This interview explains how Craig and Mathie carried out coach and player recruitment. Put simply, the longer a Head Coach is with us, and the better he performs, the more input he’s granted in player selection.

With one or two exceptions, Hecky wasn’t with us long enough to earn that status.

Ten managers or head coaches in twelve years is a terrible indictment.

Imagine the shambles we would get into if we gave every one of them carte blanche to ship the previous guys choices out and bring in all their own picks?
    Not sure how you can come to that conclusion from the linked article. It says nothing of the sort.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Pray enlighten us and kindly tell us who signed who in that case?
    Hibs signed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Hibs signed them.
    Thanks for that

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Nonsense thread

At the very least Jackson is clearly a Hecky signing. I get the idea though that Lennon and Hecky never bought in to the system at Hibs properly the way that Stubbs had.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    At the very least Jackson is clearly a Hecky signing. I get the idea though that Lennon and Hecky never bought in to the system at Hibs properly the way that Stubbs had.
    Agree with that 100%. When out of a job, a manager will make out that he’s happy to accept the lesser role of Head Coach which is to do better with the squad he inherits and accept the recommendations of a recruitment department.

But once they’ve had a bit of success e.g Lennon (promotion) and Heckingbottom (strong finish to season) they feel in a stronger position to put their own stamp on things. If Hibs relent too much, we risk signing players that only last as long as the next Head Coach. For a club like Hibs on a limited budget we end up with losses in our player budgets and a permanently unsettled squad.

As fans, we want to see a settled team too, with a hard core of players who are proud to wear the green and with whom the supporters identify. Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon and Macgregor all fit that category. Marciano, Allan, Kamberi and Boyle are fan favourites to some degree. And Horgan, Omeonga and Doidge clearly love playing for Hibs. If the recruitment department can (as they clearly aim to do) convert loan deals to permanent contracts this should give us a strong core.

Lennon took Craig and Mathie on in relation to signing policy, wanting to get rid (Kamberi), scouting and injury treatment. As a Head Coach and not a manager, they weren’t prepared to give him a free reign. And with a performance of only 2 wins from 14, I’m not sure any DOF would have?
    Last edited by RIP; 24-01-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Donald Trump and Boris Johnston say the same thing over and over again without providing a shred of evidence to back up their claims. You may be right but what interviews, articles or quotes from club management can you provide to back up this assertion?

The title of your thread is wholly inaccurate and there are several more untruths in your OP. Why bother posting fake news on here? Its just nonsense.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The title of your thread is wholly inaccurate and there are several more untruths in your OP. Why bother posting fake news on here? Its just nonsense.
    Agree.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I thought the OP was quoting something from the official site but it turns out it's just his opinion.

Pointless really.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I thought the OP was quoting something from the official site but it turns out it's just his opinion.

Pointless really.
    Far from it being my opinion buddy, I’ve submitted documented history from the restructure of the club, statements made from directors at club tours and links to interviews.

The thread title was deliberately provocative in order to encourage discussion.

Some of the replies (see Vault Boy) show a genuine understanding of club roles e.g. Director of Football, Head of recruitment and Head Coach.

Some others clearly understand the cooperation between the Recruitment department and the Head Coach with the latter’s influence over signings increasing as results improve.

Disappointingly many responses just shout ‘rubbish!’ (Trump-Style) from those stuck back in the ‘good old days’ when a manager did all his own scouting and signing and had 100% responsibility for players signed and released.

Apparently if you keep repeating these false statements often enough that makes them true

Far from it being my opinion buddy, I’ve submitted documented history from the restructure of the club, statements made from directors at club tours and links to interviews.

The thread title was deliberately provocative in order to encourage discussion.

Some of the replies (see Vault Boy) show a genuine understanding of club roles e.g. Director of Football, Head of recruitment and Head Coach.

Some others clearly understand the cooperation between the Recruitment department and the Head Coach with the latter’s influence over signings increasing as results improve.

Disappointingly many responses just shout ‘rubbish!’ (Trump-Style) from those stuck back in the ‘good old days’ when a manager did all his own scouting and signing and had 100% responsibility for players signed and released.

Apparently if you keep repeating these false statements often enough that makes them true
    I know how the recruitment team work with the head coach. Your OP is nonsense.

I know how the recruitment team work with the head coach. Your OP is nonsense.
    Go on then. Explain what is historically incorrect about the 2014 restructuring of the club? If you can.

Go on then. Explain what is historically incorrect about the 2014 restructuring of the club? If you can.
    The bulk of the summer recruitments were not sourced by GMs guys. The head coach provides a list of requirements to the recruitment team. They then source candidates fitting that profile. These candidates are then presented to the head coach to decide if they want to take things further. The head coach can go with it or do his own thing - as happened in the summer with the majority of the signings.

There are a number of key indicators the team use to flag up prospective new signings and that list is being added to. The guys put in a power of work but the model isn’t rigid in so far as the head coach is stuck with their recommendations. That’s how it works at a high level and I don’t intend going into it in any more detail.

The thread title is ridiculous and plain wrong. You got your attention though.

Coaching Staff
    I for one am going to shout nonsense because the system as supposedly implemented by Hibs is clearly not working & it still puzzles me how Mathie ended up being promoted following the summer transfer window.

Donald Trump and Boris Johnston say the same thing over and over again without providing a shred of evidence to back up their claims. You may be right but what interviews, articles or quotes from club management can you provide to back up this assertion?
    Why would I name a source to then potentially never be told anything again? All you need to know is that it came from inside the club.

Why would I name a source to then potentially never be told anything again? All you need to know is that it came from inside the club.

Exactly. Folk making wild assumptions off the back of MSM releases from more than five years ago.

Far too much made of the ‘recruitment team’ or whatever they’re called.

For as long as I can remember, clubs have employed folk who identify players and recommend them to the manager. It’s just that now, they have fancier job titles and do a lot of it on a computer.

Exactly. Folk making wild assumptions off the back of MSM releases from more than five years ago.
    Must be the same source as mine then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I for one am going to shout nonsense because the system as supposedly implemented by Hibs is clearly not working & it still puzzles me how Mathie ended up being promoted following the summer transfer window.
    We’re not on the continent though. We have a continental style model but there is no club in this country who would sign players and ask the head coach to work with whoever they are given. It would also be a struggle hiring a head coach who’d sign up to that - unless it was someone who was used to working in that structure previously. The system works - as proven by Stubbs - but it needs the head coach/manager to buy in to it. The HC has to work together with the recruitment team. The system isn’t broken - more of a case of it not being fully utilised.

Coaching Staff
    We’re not on the continent though. We have a continental style model but there is no club in this country who would sign players and ask the head coach to work with whoever they are given. It would also be a struggle hiring a head coach who’d sign up to that - unless it was someone who was used to working in that structure previously. The system works - as proven by Stubbs - but it needs the head coach/manager to buy in to it. The HC has to work together with the recruitment team. The system isn’t broken - more of a case of it not being fully utilised.
    Mmmm.... Well let's hope Ross has bought into it.