hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was worse under Mixu and Coco before Fenlon. There would have been no 5-1 if we didn’t reach the cup final or 7-0 if we didn’t reach it the next again season. The second season, especially away from home we played some terrific stuff. Killie away in the Scottish a massive highlight. No budget either. Fenlon is massively underrated because of a couple of games.
    Killie game one of my favourite away days. 4k Hibbys packed into the stand behind the goal and a magnificent Griffiths performance

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    It was worse under Mixu and Coco before Fenlon. There would have been no 5-1 if we didn’t reach the cup final or 7-0 if we didn’t reach it the next again season. The second season, especially away from home we played some terrific stuff. Killie away in the Scottish a massive highlight. No budget either. Fenlon is massively underrated because of a couple of games.
    Most of the other teams had no budget

Won 31 Lost 37 add into that the 2 games discussed, the man like many before and after was a joke. Thats not a couple of games that a lot of games. 0-3 at Home to ICT x 2 also 4-1 at home v Motherwell. nothing underrated about him these are just other games of note under his tenure.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 23-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Doidge was a useless huddy as was Newell and Tom James.

Doidge is now a goal machine, Joe Newell now Super Joe Newell.

I'd like to see Tom James under the Ross regime given a clean slate

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post

Think he’ll get a start at some point in the next week and a bit. Not sure Gray has got four games in 10 days in him.

Left by mutual consent!

The Welsh Cafu

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    They were still pish though.

Find better loans and better short term signings then.
    That’s the market he was fishing in. Nothing like the market Hecky was.

Left by mutual consent!

When was Doidge a useless huddy?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    While I'm not saying he deserved more time, Hecky's signings have, for the most part, started to show that they're not the duds we feared they looked at the start of the season. Not on a par with calibre of player Stubbs brought in, but it's nevertheless interesting to see how most have come to terms with the Scottish game. We clearly require new players but we may not be in need of the mass clearout I thought we needed with Jack Ross came in.

Personally I liked Hecky. His spell at the club wasn't brilliant but he undoubtedly salvaged our season last time round (including reeling in the yams from something like 12 points behind) and I don't think he inflicted any serious long-term damage - unlike several of his predecessors.
    As I understand it from various articles, the "scouting team" do all the analysis from which the manager selects what players are required for what positions. The fact that Heckingbottom chose to play Doidge as a 1 up front, Newall and Allan out wide and not sign a DM after releasing Marv and Milligan is down to him. Identitying the players in the first place isn't and I think he will struggle to get another good role as he clearly can't maximise the players at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    As I understand it from various articles, the "scouting team" do all the analysis from which the manager selects what players are required for what positions. The fact that Heckingbottom chose to play Doidge as a 1 up front, Newall and Allan out wide and not sign a DM after releasing Marv and Milligan is down to him. Identitying the players in the first place isn't and I think he will struggle to get another good role as he clearly can't maximise the players at his disposal.
    Doidge was a hibs target before heckingbottom got the managers job.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    "He seriously underestimated the standard of the Scottish Premiership and the expectations of the fans of Hibernian Football Club the way he lined us up in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road versus Celtic was nothing short of a disgrace." This.

Left by mutual consent!
    Along with almost the rest of the league and he still managed to find all the pish of the day in the loan market or short term. Just like PH there were plenty of players I am sure Fenlon might have got who were better than what he did that were also in our market. The same goes for PH I am sure with the budget PH there were others who would have been better for us.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Pat Fenlon definitely deserves to be cut a little slack.

His reputation will always be tarnished by the 2012 cup final but he was working on a shoe string, with no football department around him to help him out.

He was great for Leigh Griffiths and he tried his best. It didn’t work out but he’s a good man.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Pat Fenlon definitely deserves to be cut a little slack.

His reputation will always be tarnished by the 2012 cup final but he was working on a shoe string, with no football department around him to help him out.

He was great for Leigh Griffiths and he tried his best. It didn’t work out but he’s a good man.
    Why should he be cut slack? As he was nice guy and CC was a grade A twat?

Fenlon was in the same position as almost every other manager in the league. He brought in a pile of dross had lost more than he won.

There is the cup final yes but along with a fair few other shockers against clubs with the same if not less resources than he had.

Left by mutual consent!
    Along with almost the rest of the league and he still managed to find all the pish of the day in the loan market or short term. Just like PH there were plenty of players I am sure Fenlon might have got who were better than what he did that were also in our market. The same goes for PH I am sure with the budget PH there were others who would have been better for us.
    But he done that and got us to 2 national finals and saved us from Cocos mess of getting relegated?

Left by mutual consent!

Fenlon was in the same position as almost every other manager in the league. He brought in a pile of dross had lost more than he won.

There is the cup final yes but along with a fair few other shockers against clubs with the same if not less resources than he had.
    There was 2 cup finals. There was sweeping up Calderwoods mess, there was a piss poor budget and there was relegation when he left. If Pat Fenlon came after Lennon or even Stubbs with the budget he would be a lot more fondly remembered than people like Hecky who was taking us back to the Calderwood days.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    You must have missed the Calderwood days.....,
    I caught them but we were saved by the likes of Deke. Calderwood never left me as depressed as Hecky

When was Doidge a useless huddy?
    I was being facetious. I've always liked Doidge and thought he would come good.

Really just saying that although Tom James seems like a poor signing he could yet come good as plenty had written off both Newell and Doidge under Hecky.

In answer though - vast majority on here and geeral public had him labelled as a useless huddy especially after the Aberdeen.away game.

As it is he is now an unstoppable goal machine so all"s good.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

My point is that Hibs were quite dysfunctional at that time, and the blame shouldn’t all be laid at Pat’s door.

Had he stayed on for the rest of that season we would not have been relegated.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    My point is that Hibs were quite dysfunctional at that time, and the blame shouldn’t all be laid at Pat’s door.

Yes we would

Left by mutual consent!

I am basing my judgement on what I saw of the team and the signings not on what ifs or the creating of sceanarios we have no proof of.

CC got 13pts from 14 SPL and was rightly punted.
    PF got 19pts from 23 SPL games for remainder of that season.

Yes we can say he only had the player CC had however if he is better then I expect better that form was actually worse than CCs form. PFs form is actually worse than Calderwoods so there is no basis to say CC would have us relegated.

If you had been told that after sacking CC in November our new manager will win 5 more games in SPL for rest of season I would be ****ting bricks. PF never saved anything Dunfermline were just worse. PF like CC like TB was simply awful.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 24-01-2020 at 08:10 AM.

We have lost a complete season, probably season ticket holders for next year and have a very weak squad. He left us winless in ages and a point off the bottom. His tenure was rubbish from about February onwards.
    He was appointed in February, and made the best start in the league that any Hibs manager has ever made.

Why is there the need for this revisionism? Heckingbottom started out very well and had almost universal support.

The knives were out for him far too quickly and he never recovered the situation. I hope we don't turn into one of those clubs, however, and Jack Ross is given plenty of time to build something here.