hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: future plans?

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’ve been talking about Saturday evening kickoffs - better time for viewers in the USA - that’ll be Ron and the Yank at Aberdeen’s idea!
    You won't get any sport on American tv showing dilapidated stadia with empty seats. Doesn't happen. Won't happen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Gimmicks and hollow soundbites are a pet hate of mine. If as you say there's a void to be filled, it disappoints me that so many so-called supporters, at least on here, go into overdrive churning out negative speculation and scenarios.

I'm 52 years old and have been involved in the building game for 35 years and have had knowledge of my own businesses as well as those of friends, family and clients for almost as long. One thing I do know is that no good comes from projects that are rushed or are marketed/publicised without there being any "meat on the bones".

I know very little of Ron Gordon. He seems to be a very discrete person but he has been successful in at least 2 different fields.

I'm happy to wait to see what he proposes which, I'm fairly sure, will be well researched and formulated and will hopefully catch the imagination of the fans, including those who are wetting the bed in the meantime.
    I 100% agree with you regards sound bytes and gimmicks and meaningless mission statements, it’s all just tick the box bluster. Rushed projects hardly ever work either. Football however is a bit different as fans can be in the depths of despair after three defeats and are winning the league after their next 4 victories. Owners and managers have to smooth out these ups and downs and be more level headed in their approach.

The difference this time is we have a new owner who has given us nothing to feast on. He may have great plans for us but if he wants the fans to engage, be excited and “pony up”, he really needs to at least start talking a good game. It’s way overdue despite some on here having ultimate patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    The difference this time is we have a new owner who has given us nothing to feast on. He may have great plans for us but if he wants the fans to engage, be excited and “pony up”, he really needs to at least start talking a good game. It’s way overdue despite some on here having ultimate patience.
    It shouldn't be lost on him that there have been a lot of empty seats at Easter Road this season. It’s probably only 4-6 weeks until renewal letters are out and, as it stands, I don’t think the demand is going to be what it has been. People need some encouragement, including during the current transfer window.

Gimmicks and hollow soundbites are a pet hate of mine. If as you say there's a void to be filled, it disappoints me that so many so-called supporters, at least on here, go into overdrive churning out negative speculation and scenarios.

I'm 52 years old and have been involved in the building game for 35 years and have had knowledge of my own businesses as well as those of friends, family and clients for almost as long. One thing I do know is that no good comes from projects that are rushed or are marketed/publicised without there being any "meat on the bones".

I know very little of Ron Gordon. He seems to be a very discrete person but he has been successful in at least 2 different fields.

I'm happy to wait to see what he proposes which, I'm fairly sure, will be well researched and formulated and will hopefully catch the imagination of the fans, including those who are wetting the bed in the meantime.
    Completely where I am on this. Great post.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

future plans?

As you say that’s your personal pet hate, I’m not going to say if that’s right or wrong as that would be insulting as it’s what you believe.

I prefer the bravado, the confidence, the swagger, the leadership but that’s just me and then I’ll look for the substance.

I don’t see too much “wetting the bed” or folk “churning out negative speculation” and think that’s a little bit of hyperbole chucked in for effect.

What I would never do is just assume that a foreign owner always has our (the fans) best interests at heart. Thankfully I do believe Rod Petrie would’ve done his due diligence so I take confidence in that.

I’m sure that once the accounts are out, the plans are revealed and the AGM is out of the way it will all become a lot clearer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PaulSmith; 24-01-2020 at 07:08 PM.

You don’t need to go far in sporting Edinburgh to see a project that was rushed to the starting line amidst a fanfare of trumpets.

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    As long as we remember to order them!!

Godamnit!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    You don’t need to go far in sporting Edinburgh to see a project that was rushed to the starting line amidst a fanfare of trumpets.
    And not just once.

Your take on things might put me in the 'bed wetter' category Peevemor, but I defy anybody to pick the bones out of the posts I've made on this thread and state that anything I've said doesn't reflect the current state of the club. It all adds up to the massive feelgood factor and positive vibes around Easter Road following May 2016 being gradually chipped away ... not in the car crash of our relegation season, but in a slow drip drip drip of decline.

We currently have a team on the park who would get absolutely hosed by that 2016 team and which has recently provided us with away at Livvi and the first 45 against Hamilton which were as bad as I've seen Hibs play for a long time. There is solid evidence that we are losing fans, and you have to question how many folk will renew when they cant even be bothered to use the season tickets they already hold. Can anybody deny signs are bad when we can't even do something as basic as secure a shirt sponsor, install a PA system folk can actually hear and sort a turnstile system that's been dodgy all season.

OK ... Stuff like this happens around football clubs, but we are a football club with a new owner which should be a cause for optimism. I for one want that new owner to enthuse me as a fan and invigorate the club on and off the park. All I am saying is that after 7 months in charge there is very little sign that either of these things are on the horizon, or even that there is a concrete and viable plan to make them happen.

It's now the 25th of January and even the basic promise that we would have more information regarding his 'vision' for the club by January looks like it might not happen. I'm all for giving folk a chance, but if you want me to do that show me some tangible evidence that my faith isn't misplaced .... So far Ron Gordon has failed to do that and until he does I will remain to be convinced that he will be the dynamic and visionary owner Hibs have been crying out for for as long as I've been watching the club.

Let's not forget, it's not just been 7 months, there must have been months of negotiation before he bought the club ... I simply don't believe that a savvy and astute businessman like Ron Gordon appears to be didn't have chapter and verse on every financial, sporting and infrastructure aspect of the club before investing millions of pounds in the purchase of it. What followed should have consisted of dotting the I's and crossing the T's ... instead of which the impression being given is that he walked into Easter Road the day he bought Hibs with little or no idea of how he was going to improve the club and take it forward, or how he was going to source the income that will undoubtedly require ... unless you count a rather caustic remark about getting the fans to step up. I'm happy to be proved wrong in that, but what I've seen so far does not point to anything other than what I've said being the case.

I'll say here and now that I will be absolutely delighted to be on here in a few months time eating humble pie after seeing Ron Gordon's concrete and visionary plan on financing an improvement on and off the park. Until then I wont be throwing out the rubber sheets

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Your take on things might put me in the 'bed wetter' category Peevemor, but I defy anybody to pick the bones out of the posts I've made on this thread and state that anything I've said doesn't reflect the current state of the club. It all adds up to the massive feelgood factor and positive vibes around Easter Road following May 2016 being gradually chipped away ... not in the car crash of our relegation season, but in a slow drip drip drip of decline.

We currently have a team on the park who would get absolutely hosed by that 2016 team and which has recently provided us with away at Livvi and the first 45 against Hamilton which were as bad as I've seen Hibs play for a long time. There is solid evidence that we are losing fans, and you have to question how many folk will renew when they cant even be bothered to use the season tickets they already hold. Can anybody deny signs are bad when we can't even do something as basic as secure a shirt sponsor, install a PA system folk can actually hear and sort a turnstile system that's been dodgy all season.

OK ... Stuff like this happens around football clubs, but we are a football club with a new owner which should be a cause for optimism. I for one want that new owner to enthuse me as a fan and invigorate the club on and off the park. All I am saying is that after 7 months in charge there is very little sign that either of these things are on the horizon, or even that there is a concrete and viable plan to make them happen.

It's now the 25th of January and even the basic promise that we would have more information regarding his 'vision' for the club by January looks like it might not happen. I'm all for giving folk a chance, but if you want me to do that show me some tangible evidence that my faith isn't misplaced .... So far Ron Gordon has failed to do that and until he does I will remain to be convinced that he will be the dynamic and visionary owner Hibs have been crying out for for as long as I've been watching the club.

Let's not forget, it's not just been 7 months, there must have been months of negotiation before he bought the club ... I simply don't believe that a savvy and astute businessman like Ron Gordon appears to be didn't have chapter and verse on every financial, sporting and infrastructure aspect of the club before investing millions of pounds in the purchase of it. What followed should have consisted of dotting the I's and crossing the T's ... instead of which the impression being given is that he walked into Easter Road the day he bought Hibs with little or no idea of how he was going to improve the club and take it forward, or how he was going to source the income that will undoubtedly require ... unless you count a rather caustic remark about getting the fans to step up. I'm happy to be proved wrong in that, but what I've seen so far does not point to anything other than what I've said being the case.

I'll say here and now that I will be absolutely delighted to be on here in a few months time eating humble pie after seeing Ron Gordon's concrete and visionary plan on financing an improvement on and off the park. Until then I wont be throwing out the rubber sheets
    Really good post.

There’s some posters who can never see any wrong in anything Hibs do, I’m not sure that’s healthy and it certainly doesn’t make for a good debate on a message board. I think being a bit sceptical at times and questioning things you are concerned about is a natural reaction, not bed wetting as the poster called it.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Really good post.

There’s some posters who can never see any wrong in anything Hibs do, I’m not sure that’s healthy and it certainly doesn’t make for a good debate on a message board. I think being a bit sceptical at times and questioning things you are concerned about is a natural reaction, not bed wetting as the poster called it.
    I'd be astonished if there was anyone who can never see any wrong in anything Hibs do. I'd say that's almost impossible as a Hibs supporter.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    I'd be astonished if there was anyone who can never see any wrong in anything Hibs do. I'd say that's almost impossible as a Hibs supporter.
    Disagree, there’s definitely a few posters on here like that, it becomes almost as tiresome as the negative posters who can’t see any good in anything Hibs ever do.

The truth is always going to be in the middle somewhere, the idea of you expected better communication from Ron by now you’re a bed wetter is ridiculous IMO.

It's a pity I'm going out in 5 minutes as this is shaping up to be a good discussion IMO.

What I'll quickly say is that there's a huge difference between thinking that the club can do no wrong and automatically assuming the worst (often when reacting to unfounded speculation).

There are a great many more who do the latter.

Disagree, there’s definitely a few posters on here like that, it becomes almost as tiresome as the negative posters who can’t see any good in anything Hibs ever do.

The truth is always going to be in the middle somewhere, the idea of you expected better communication from Ron by now you’re a bed wetter is ridiculous IMO.
    Agree that the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Personally I'm comfortable to wait a little bit longer to hear about any significant plans he has for the club. I recognise others aren't. That's fair enough.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I worry about it as every day passes without a word from him. I had trouble concentrating on the action on the pitch last night for fear of not knowing what the future holds. Come on Ron this is a nail biting time for Hibs fans, give us a sign, anything to give us hope and settle our nerves.
    Haha, just about took you serious for a moment.👍

I'm intrigued to see the content of the ST launch.

A few years back when LD first walked through the door myself and another supporter spoke to her about our then ST marketing. It was the ill fated #TBGWA campaign. There was a list of 5 reasons to buy a ST and every single one was about finance. There was no primary mention of football and she agreed it was poor and wouldn't happen again. Until now she has been, to all intents and purposes, good to her word.

With rumours about a further major infrastructure project, lack of a main sponsor and a seemingly exhausted budget it's going to be a fine balancing act this year. Our transfer activity last summer may have been a success in the sense it was conducted quickly but in terms of providing us with a balanced squad with a recognisable style it has been a failure. How do you sell a vision to fans who are already starting to vote with their feet? Our problems aren't a cheap fix but no amount of spin on past events is going to sell STs. Results on the park will be the key driver of sales but a clear vision and plan for the future communicated well may help things along. With the usual date for STs going on sale fast approaching it's questionable whether we will get it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    You won't get any sport on American tv showing dilapidated stadia with empty seats. Doesn't happen. Won't happen.
    Have you seen some if the college football games they show on TV?

If I haven't heard anything by 1st February, I'm ripping up my Season Ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It shouldn't be lost on him that there have been a lot of empty seats at Easter Road this season. It’s probably only 4-6 weeks until renewal letters are out and, as it stands, I don’t think the demand is going to be what it has been. People need some encouragement, including during the current transfer window.
    So if its 4-6 weeks before the renewal details are released why rush the announcement of his plans...week of the announcement, max hype, major impact on renewals. Do it now disappate the message.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    ...of trumpets? By trumpets surely?😉

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Good post.

Can’t see the club finishing higher than 5th or 6th - so once top 6 is secured we may as well build for next season.

Action speaks louder than words and even this transfer window we will see if they bring in a CDM that we have been crying out for since summer.

Surely the club hasn’t wasted all the money on Hecky recruitment.

The lack of news about the AGM and future plans is concerning also.

Hopefully next 7 days we will see if we add players we need / off the pitch some info is provided as fans have a right to know what’s happening.

Coaching Staff
    Really good post.

Not really sure that applies here. The suggestion was we wait and see the plans before deciding if it will be good or bad.

They’ve said it’s coming. There really no point in long posts about the state of things when something is due to be said on it all.

We’re talking about the long term future direction of the club. Days or weeks here in the messaging I don’t think is worth getting worked up about.

The "future plans" appear to be more of the same...caution caution caution all the way, tell the fans the bare minimum and only communicate when we're wanting season ticket money off you.

it's staring us in the face that current transfer policy (if there is indeed a coherent one) is one-in-one-out, which appears to extend to loan players - we couldn't bring in Naismith until Mackie went out on loan.

We hit a high watermark of 14k season tickets last January 2019. If that wasn't the time to move the dial in terms of bringing in a higher quality of player than we were used to then I don't know what was to be honest.

We could have pegged the signing of a high-profile player to a campaign to get to 15k tickets by saying something simple like "if we can reach 15k tickets sold then there'll be more signings like him" and then can we get to 16K by the same rationale of the fans and the Board committing in similar fashion?

In short, we could start to build momentum for once, instead of reverting to type by selling John McGinn and replacing him with an Emerson Hyndman (on loan).

Add in a batch of jersey fillers like Eckersley, Rherras, Mavrias, Nelom, etc and you can see exactly where the club's ambition lies - treading water with qualification for Europe once every 5-6 years.

Not good enough, and certainly not good enough to be "best of the rest", and then ultimately a "league challenge" - Ron Gordon's words (or close to them).

But hey, let's build the infrastructure (again) and be patient (again) - it's the Hibs' way, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Not really sure that applies here. The suggestion was we wait and see the plans before deciding if it will be good or bad.

They’ve said it’s coming. There really no point in long posts about the state of things when something is due to be said on it all.

We’re talking about the long term future direction of the club. Days or weeks here in the messaging I don’t think is worth getting worked up about.
    the issue is ....how long do we have to wait before we know? after st renewals come out? i wont commit b4 i know the plans and thats not good for club and dont think im alone in that. and ive had a st all my life

Quote Originally Posted by craigiehibs View Post
    the issue is ....how long do we have to wait before we know? after st renewals come out? i wont commit b4 i know the plans and thats not good for club and dont think im alone in that. and ive had a st all my life
    Why not? What difference do "the plans" make to whether or not you support your club. As always Hibs will spend what they can on players without going daft. Sounds like you're looking for excuses.

Why not? What difference do "the plans" make to whether or not you support your club. As always Hibs will spend what they can on players without going daft. Sounds like you're looking for excuses.
    with respect. pish. i will always support hibs but i expect that to be matched with some anbition. its not a bottomless pit

Isn’t it as simple as you’ll get a hardcore who renew regardless and then there’s the ones that you want to attract. The guys who will go if there’s a genuine belief that we are capable of doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Isn’t it as simple as you’ll get a hardcore who renew regardless and then there’s the ones that you want to attract. The guys who will go if there’s a genuine belief that we are capable of doing something.
    Spot on.

The hardcore hovers around 8-9K. Anyone else has to be earned. Whether I, or anyone else, likes that is largely irrelevant.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by craigiehibs View Post
    with respect. pish. i will always support hibs but i expect that to be matched with some anbition. its not a bottomless pit
    There are probably 10-15 guys in the pub that I know who are the same as you, give them something to grasp onto and they are as Hibs as they come.

Say the bare minimum and don’t give them any belief that the club want to be part of something special and they’ll quite happily play golf on a Sat and just go once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Spot on.

The hardcore hovers around 8-9K. Anyone else has to be earned. Whether I, or anyone else, likes that is largely irrelevant.
    It’s also expensive going to football these days and some fans would like to see some ambition from the club before parting with a large sum of money on a ST. As you say, whether people like that fact or not is irrelevant.