hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If De Gea and Pogba do go, they have no world class players. The talk of Bale wouldn’t fulfil that criteria, you have to ask the question of if he’d get into the Liverpool or Man City starting eleven and the answer would be no chance. He’d be another expensive mistake.

It’ll cost close to three quarters of a billion to bring in seven or so players capable of competing at the top level and when the exchange rate is affected by Brexit, that’ll rise significantly.
    According to 5live De Gea has made more mistakes leading to goals conceded than any other GK in the Premier League.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    According to 5live De Gea has made more mistakes leading to goals conceded than any other GK in the Premier League.
    He has been awful from before the last World Cup

Never really have much interest in English football and find Scottish people who get orgasmic in pubs at a Liverpool/Spurs/Man U or Arsenal goal positively weird.

Its an interesting question though in a European context as Man Utd used to be one of Europe's top teams and are right up there in being one of the worlds richest clubs

No idea about their players or current manager but their demise must start at the very top with those running the club who seem to make lazy manager choices, poor leadership and who put money over identity.

The Champions League matches at Anfield and Old Trafford seem worlds away in terms of atmosphere and passion.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 23-01-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Never really have much interest in English football and find Scottish people who get orgasmic in pubs at a Liverpool/Spurs/Man U or Arsenal goal positively weird.

Its an interesting question though in a European context as Man Utd used to be one of Europe's top teams and are right up there in being one of the worlds richest clubs

No idea about their players or current manager but their demise must start at the very top with those running the club who seem to make lazy manager choices, poor leadership and who put money over identity.

The Champions League matches at Anfield and Old Trafford seem worlds away in terms of atmosphere and passion.
    So if your from Scotland and are excited about your team scoring a goal whilst watching game in a pub its weird ??

Aye ok

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

There’s nothing weird about Scottish folk who get excited about English games, it’s no more weird than English folk who follow Hibs and feel the same when they score. 😁

80M for Harry Maguire 🤣🤣🤣🤣 an unfit Daz McG is a better player.

I have mates that live beside me in Fife that "support" Liverpool and not a Scottish club. They don't go to any games they just don't like Scottish football so chose Liverpool. Watching the Champions League final with them in the pub last season was chronic. Their excitement was over after they got the trophy. If that was Hibs I'd be on a 10 week bender
    Last edited by Since452; 23-01-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Genuinely don't understand that point of view. As much as I am a Hibs fan, I still look forward to watching English football at the weekend. The quality of the top teams is about a million miles away from what we see in Scotland so why wouldn't I want to watch players of that quality producing moments of brilliance? Watching Liverpool is just a joy this season, doesn't mean I support them or am a glory hunter - just enjoy seeing them and get excited while watching an outstanding product.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Took Liverpool 30 odd years to be "back".

Has taken Leeds 30 odd years (and they still aren't back).

Wouldn't be too certain it will happen at any point.
    I agree - you'd have been laughed at in 1990 if you suggested LFC would take till 2020 to win the League.

Hope it takes ManUre longer. Loathe them. Marvelous to see them toil

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A decent manager and a coherent football strategy would be a starting point.

The vote of confidence today. He'll be gone by the 2nd week in February.
    Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho have all been fantastic managers, as their records show - they just didn't fit at Man United.

Like nothing else, I think so much that happens in football is luck - there is no formula that you can follow that will guarantee success. All you can do is look at peoples records, see if they talk sense, appoint them, give them as much money as you can - and hope for the best. Sometimes it will work out, sometimes it won't.

It looks like a long way back to the top for Man U though.

Nothing changes until woodword and the glazers go.

I see their deal for fernandes is off. Surprise surprise.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think an agreement is already in place to bring in Pochettino this summer. I'm sure he had a clause in his release from Spurs that he cant manage another club in the premier league this season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    So if your from Scotland and are excited about your team scoring a goal whilst watching game in a pub its weird ??

Aye ok
    If you have no connection to the city of Liverpool or Manchester and you "support" these teams? Then yes, it is pretty weird. Folk who've never even seen their team live going on like tenured season ticket holders is cringey as f.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Genuinely don't understand that point of view. As much as I am a Hibs fan, I still look forward to watching English football at the weekend. The quality of the top teams is about a million miles away from what we see in Scotland so why wouldn't I want to watch players of that quality producing moments of brilliance? Watching Liverpool is just a joy this season, doesn't mean I support them or am a glory hunter - just enjoy seeing them and get excited while watching an outstanding product.
    Agreed totally but then I never questioned any of that.

What I regard as downright weird is some Scottish people getting orgasmic ie jumping up and down, hugging each other and punching the screen just because an English team such as Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal or Man Utd have scored away to Sheffield Utd.

If they supported the club by the way of occasional attendance or merchandise then I would have no problem whatsoever but many dont other than through the medium of TV hence it gives me amusement to laugh at their false antics and hystrionics.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 23-01-2020 at 04:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    If you have no connection to the city of Liverpool or Manchester and you "support" these teams? Then yes, it is pretty weird. Folk who've never even seen their team live going on like tenured season ticket holders is cringey as f.
    Theres a lot of Hibs fans who don’t come from Edinburgh and have few links to the city. They are as passionate about their team as someone born in leith

Seriously? I come from Elgin so have no connection to Edinburgh other than I've supported Hibs since I was a young child. So the only team I should be allowed to follow is Elgin City?

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Absolutely love seeing Man Utd toil, as a Liverpool fan. The tables have turned 😎
    I love it, I enjoyed it first time round too, now it looks like I’m going to see it all over again 😁

I might even arrange to meet SDG on here for a pint to discuss all things football with him
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 23-01-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Theres a lot of Hibs fans who don’t come from Edinburgh and have few links to the city. They are as passionate about their team as someone born in leith
    Lots of them who've never seen hibs live?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Seriously? I come from Elgin so have no connection to Edinburgh other than I've supported Hibs since I was a young child. So the only team I should be allowed to follow is Elgin City?
    You've never seen hibs live?

Recruitment is shambolic.

Lots of them who've never seen hibs live?

You've never seen hibs live?
    Of course I have but I only get to see them when I'm back home which isn't very often and I don't come from Edinburgh. I seem to fit your criteria quite well I think.

I don’t really see the issue, you can have a favourite sportsperson or team in any sport and go crazy when you see them having success on the TV without ever having seen them or the actual sport live. Why should football be any different, if folk take enjoyment at going mental at a TV sporting event, what’s the problem?

Sacking Solskjær will solve nothing. Their squad is completely unbalanced and nowhere near good enough to compete at the top of the league or at Champions League level, even although Liverpool are having a bit of a freak season.

They're still nowhere near strong enough to compete with the likes of Leicester and Manchester City who are both having very good seasons but still nothing out of the ordinary.

They need to find a solution that sees Pogba leave the club. He's been a disruptive influence in the squad for well over a year now and clearly doesn't want to be there. If Real Madrid want him then he should go.

David De Gea is a world class goalkeeper and they should build on the team from there. Most of the outfield players, particularly in midfield, are miles away from being at the required level to play for Manchester Utd. Most of them would have struggled to get a place on the bench about 10-15 years ago for a lot of the second string sides that Sir Alex Ferguson used to put out for League Cup ties. It's embarrassing that they're now first choice picks in this side.

The whole structure at the club needs to change before anything will get better. I'd say they need around 6 or 7 players to come in who are going to be automatic picks for their first team and then a further 4 or 5 players to come in as backup.

There is a huge amount of work required to get them back to where they once were and I believe it will take many years for that to be achieved.

It certainly won't happen just with getting rid of Solskjær.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Loads of people support teams they have no connection to and there's nothing weird about it.

I have no connection to Chicago but I support the Cubs whom I've never seen live.

I also support Miami Dolphins although I have been to one of their games.

There are people across the globe who support EPL teams but will never be able to see them play.

The TV gives people access to teams that they never had before so it's perfectly understandable that they can choose favourites. It's not weird at all.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    As tine paases it just becomes more obvious what an incredible manager Ferguson was. (He worked with the Glaziers and still delivered trophies).

I can see Liverpool, City, Tottenham, Chelsea and even Arsenal being well ahead for many years to come.
    Last edited by KingPat4; 23-01-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    As tine paases it just becomes more obvious what an incredible manager Ferguson was. (He worked with the Glaziers and still delivered trophies).

I can see Liverpool, City, Tottenham, Chelsea and even Arsenal being well ahead for many years to come.
    Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea aren't even well ahead of them now.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    I have little or no interest in English football and even less in Man United.

They seem to be a club that has a big ego, with a Board who just expect success to happen. I don't get the hype that goes with them. They've probably found their level after losing a phenomenal Manager in Fergie.

I’ll give Man United two more games before the Daily Record starts touting them for a switch to the Scottish Premiership and ‘mouthwatering’ games against the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    I have little or no interest in English football and even less in Man United.

They seem to be a club that has a big ego, with a Board who just expect success to happen. I don't get the hype that goes with them. They've probably found their level after losing a phenomenal Manager in Fergie.
    They're in the top 4 or 5 biggest clubs in the world. Whether you like them or not you can hardly say they've "found their level" with where they are just now, like a club that's just been relegated after years of overachievement.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    They're in the top 4 or 5 biggest clubs in the world. Whether you like them or not you can hardly say they've "found their level" with where they are just now, like a club that's just been relegated after years of overachievement.
    I didn't say I disliked them, more that I have no interest in them and don't get their hype. Before and after the Ferguson years they have been simply an above average Premiership team. You could say Fergie had them punching above their weight.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    I didn't say I disliked them, more that I have no interest in them and don't get their hype. Before and after the Ferguson years they have been simply an above average Premiership team. You could say Fergie had them punching above their weight.
    It was Busby who made them one of the biggest clubs in the world, and their natural level (without going all Craig Levein about it) should be well above where they are now.

In terms of support, resources, wealth etc they’re in the top 5 biggest clubs in the world