hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It can often be a roller coaster experience supporting Hibs and tonight highlighted that fact big time. After a first half lacking anything positive, a personnel and tactical change had Hibs in the ascendency and allowed them to go on and win the game.

With Oli Shaw having joined Ross County there was a place on the bench for Jamie Gullan whilst Adam Jackson was selected to play alongside Hanlon in central defence. Also on the bench was Stephane Omeonga who was loudly cheered when warming up and more so when he entered the fray as a second half substitute.

There was an early warning for Hibs when Hamilton broke down their left and Dales was allowed to put in a low cross which flew across the Hibs six yard box and thankfully on to safety. The visitors were full of commitment and effort and moved the ball around well whilst Hibs were ponderous in thought and movement. It was tough to watch as the men in green and white looked devoid of ideas and lacked massively in mobility.

Around twenty minutes in, a corner from their right saw Hamilton take the lead as Gogic rose unchallenged at the back post. The marking was poor and Rocky couldn’t get along his line quickly enough to stop from being beaten at his near post.

That reversal should have been enough of a jolt to the home side but their poor play continued and the visitors might have scored again but Oakley headed over from close range following another corner. Alston then saw a fierce shot drift just wide whilst the only offering from Hibs was a sclaffed effort over the bar by Scott Allan.

Slivka and Hallberg were being bossed in midfield and it was no surprise when they were replaced at half time by Omeonga and Newell. Soon after the restart a badly out of touch Scott Allan was replaced by Horgan and from that point on, Hibs began to take control of the ball and enjoyed more of that control in an attacking sense. Kamberi went close and Jackson helped a cross on but there was no Hibs player at the back post.

A goalmouth scramble witnessed Kamberi, Doidge and Horgan all trying to force the ball over the line but Fon-Williams and his fellow defenders held firm. The atmosphere in the ground, flat in the first half reflecting the performance of the home team, took an upward turn as both Newell and Omeonga brought a spark to the Hibs play. So too did Horgan who sent in a lovely low cross but that was scrambled clear.

With Hamilton flagging, Hibs took advantage just past the hour mark when a clever ball from Kamberi found Boyle free on the right of the Hamilton 18 yard box. Boyler guided a low shot past the advancing Fon-Williams but the ball struck the post. Thankfully, Doidge did what all strikers should do and followed the ball in meaning he was on hand to push his effort into the empty net from close range.

It was pretty much all Hibs now and fantastic play down the left from Stevenson and Kamberi saw the ball reach Horgan about ten yards out and central. He flashed a shot at goal but it was too near the keeper who pushed it out for a corner.

The clock was ticking down fast but with around eight minutes left a fine pass found Boyle racing clear on the right. His cross was there to be attacked and Paul Hanlon did just that in heading home strongly to win the three points.

In offering my thoughts on the players I’m taking it as read that we were so poor in the first half, my thoughts would no doubt be the same as everyone else’s. What I would say is that Doidge was the best of a poor first half bunch.

The players

Marciano – Rocky didn’t have a great deal to do and I’m unsure whether he could have come and collected the ball from the corner leading to Hamilton’s goal.

Gray – SDG is still getting up to speed and he looked exhausted at the end of the game. He put in a shift and at times I was surprised he was so high up the park.

Jackson – On two occasions tonight he let a high ball bounce before trying to win it. On both occasions the Hamilton forward took advantage. Aside from that he pinged a few decent passes to our wide men.

Hanlon – Paul clearly shared our first half frustrations and on a couple of occasions he tried to push forward to make things happen but it didn’t quite work for him. Took his goal well and certainly enjoyed celebrating it in front of the East Stand.

Stevenson – A couple of wayward crosses but also a couple of quite sublime passes down the line to Horgan he also had a hand in the build up to Horgan’s effort.

Boyle – After a quite shocking first half the flying winger got stuck in and had a hand in both goals. Martin got the sponsors man of the match but few around me agreed with that choice.

Slivka – Horrendous forty five minutes saw him rightly replaced at the break.

Hallberg - Horrendous forty five minutes saw him rightly replaced at the break.

Allan – It’s a worry at just how out of form Scotty is at the moment. Very poor first half and it was no surprise that he was hooked early in the second.

Kamberi – Hands up if you’ve ever seen Flo’s second touch. His lack of control of the ball is astonishing for a professional footballer but having said that his pass to Boyle, for the equaliser, was first class.

Doidge – Only player to get first half pass marks from me. Took the ball in well, won most of his headers and generally worked his socks off. I heard Richard Gordon describe Doidge’s goal as having been the result of a lucky rebound off the post. There’s nothing lucky about being where you should be to stick the ball in the net.

Omeonga – The wee fella looked very ring rusty and once or twice his passing let him down but you can see just how much energy he will bring to our midfield.

Newell – The oft maligned Joe Newell was outstanding from the moment he joined the fray. Playing in the central role, where he is much more effective, he drove the team forward at every opportunity and he wins my man of the match award – not bad when he only got 45 minutes.

Horgan – I’m not his biggest fan but I thought he did really well tonight and although he should have scored, he was a provider of chances throughout the second half.

Jack Ross – I heard his interview and could sense his anger at that insipid first half display. Credit to him for making the changes he did as without them we would surely have lost.

The fans – The first half was dreadful, like a morgue but the second was far better. If proof were needed that fans react to the efforts of players then tonight was a perfect example of that.

Andrew Dallas – Worse than his old man and that’s saying something. Overly lenient to Hamilton’s kick them tactics and took far too long to book their keeper for blatant time wasting.

On to Saturday now for what will be a very tricky tie against a high flying Motherwell side. Let’s hope it’s second half Hibs that turn up at Fir Park.
    He really has a ridiculous problem with Hibs from karma to slagging off Doidge to obsession with a GOC dive. No way would he be so critical of someone like Cosgrove for the same sort of goal. Nothing at all lucky about following a shot in for a rebound.

Great summary of the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A ridiculous first touch for Kamberi?

Given his excellent first touch set up our first and his excellent first touch set up hogan's chance, that seems a bit nonsensical to me.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    A ridiculous first touch for Kamberi?

Given his excellent first touch set up our first and his excellent first touch set up hogan's chance, that seems a bit nonsensical to me.
    Big Flo fan but he was trapping the ball 20 yards most of the game and taking three touches to control the ball in dangerous positions. His two great contributions were him moving it on rather than thinking he's going to score himself.

Re the injury time I always start a stopwatch at 2nd half ko to track the stoppage time. Dallas was bang on two. My assumption was since Hamilton had wasted 5 minutes and were down, they weren't getting that time back. About the only decision I agreed with the whole night.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The goal was Rockys fault. Those defending the corner could have done better but it’s an easy take for the keeper. Get out and grab it. It was 6ft away from his line.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    The goal was Rockys fault. Those defending the corner could have done better but it’s an easy take for the keeper. Get out and grab it. It was 6ft away from his line.
    If Maxwell’s in he comes and takes it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    If Maxwell’s in he comes and takes it.
    Maxwell doesn't do saves. Apparently.

@hibs.net private member
    It is yards above him as it passes him..only comes down where the guy heads it - probably should have saved it mind you - but it was never a ball for a goalie to take ...largely unchallenged- so poor defending from Slivka who marking him

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The first half is best forgotten, we were slow, ponderous and devoid of ideas, apart from one very good move down the right with some nice exchanges of pass. The second half was so much better, but it simply had to be.

Marciano .... 5 .... He didn't have a lot to do in all honesty, but having watched the Hamilton goal again I think he looked lost at it.

Gray ... 6 .... Got into some decent crossing positions, but his delivery was pretty poor for the most part, you could see he was toiling at the end, on one occasion failing to support Boyle when he should when he went on a run up the wing.

Jackson ... 6 ... He was pretty decent hitting a couple of very good passes, but lost too many headers to Hamilton's attack, headers I think Daz would have won.

Hanlon ... 7 ... He was lucky more than once not to set up Hamilton attacks when he lost the ball in their half, but it was in an attempt to push us forward so I can forgive it. Defended pretty well and took his goal very well, though due to the lack of a PA system in the FF I only found out it was him who had scored after the game.

Stevenson .... 5 ..... Very unusual for me to low score Stevenson, but apart from a couple of decent down the line passes I thought he looked off it tonight, giving the ball away more than once, which is very unlike him. In fact practically dispossessing himself at one point.

Hallberg .... 4 .... Absolutely anonymous ..lucky not to be hooked before half time.

Slivka .... 5 ... I don't agree that he was terrible because at least I saw him nick in and win the ball a couple of times, but he can't complain that he was subbed at the interval.

Allan ... 5 .... Continued his form from Tannadice and continued doing exactly the same stuff EG, turning into trouble and ignoring the simple pass, under hitting his passes and trying flicks that just didn't come off. He's a super player, lets hope he rediscovers his form quickly.

Kamberi ... 6 ... You can't fault his workrate lately and I though tonight was no different, tried and tried to influence the game without a great deal coming off for him, but certainly not the worst player on the park tonight.

Boyle ... 6 .... One of his quieter games, he just didn't seem able to get into it, especially in the first half. Much better in the 2nd and hit a nice cross for Hanlon's winner.

Doige .... 7 .... Our best player in the first half, his movement was good, won his fair share of headers and of course was in the right place at the right time to continue his good scoring run.

SUBS:

Newell ... 8 .... By a mile his best game in a Hibs shirt for me, what a difference he made, what the hell was Heckingbottom thinking playing him wide. Man of the match.

Omeonga ... 7 ... His enthusiasm and energy made the three who went off look like Zombies ... drove forward every time he got the ball and never gave up on any ball that had gotten away from him, for 45 minutes he brought just what I was hoping he would.

Horgan ... 6 ... Made run after run with and without the ball, contributed a lot to our comeback.

Dallas ... I don't usually comment on the ref, but he allowed several clear pushes by Hamilton players to go unpunished, booked at least one challenge that could easily have been red ( apparently clotheslining is legal in Scotland ) and didn't even warn Hamilton for their blatant time wasting until finally booking the keeper a good 15 minutes after he should have. The only thing he got right was failing to add at least 5 minutes at the end, perhaps even he thought it would be unfair to give Hamilton more time to chase an equaliser using time they had caused to be added on.

If we are to get anything at Fir Park we have to play 90 minutes of what we did in the second half ... If we serve up 90 minutes like that first half we will get pumped.
    Excellent

Confirmed my initial thoughts on Rocky at their goal.

Just watched it back the ball goes over Rockys head really needs to decide whether to come for it and command his area or stay on his line the defence could have done better similar to goals lost at Livvy

The big question is can Newall repeat his virtuoso display if he gets the nod on Saturday?

Jonnyboy better watch his back
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-01-2020 at 07:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Have to say at the game it looked like Rocky could have done better

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    It is yards above him as it passes him..only comes down where the guy heads it - probably should have saved it mind you - but it was never a ball for a goalie to take ...largely unchallenged- so poor defending from Slivka who marking him
    The defence were raging at him. Rocky comes out and grabs that off the attackers head. I’d expect an under 16 keeper to come and grab it. Rocky is a great shot stopper but continues to give no confidence with balls like that. It’s an easy take for a keeper.

@hibs.net private member

This is how it feels (Hamilton 22 01 20)

The defence were raging at him. Rocky comes out and grabs that off the attackers head. I’d expect an under 16 keeper to come and grab it. Rocky is a great shot stopper but continues to give no confidence with balls like that. It’s an easy take for a keeper.
    You need to watch it again. They would be raging at him for not making a better attempt to save it. No way is he getting through 3-4 players and catching it beyond the back post Slivka lost the boy.

Ps. Hanlon quote after the game “poor marking at a set piece cost us the goal “
    Last edited by bigwheel; 23-01-2020 at 07:22 AM.

We hit a couple of deep corners just like that to Paul Hanlon in the second half - he was well closed down and nothing resulted from either.

The full blame imo is on Slivka for being far too casual with the marking. Rocky may have been slow to get across but I couldn’t see any way he should be claiming that cross.

Maxwell saves that and Maxwell saves the second on Sunday but hey ho!

Very good again only comment is why does Allan get an easier ride than Hallberg and Slivka ? Why not just the same comment.

Great summary JB. Rocky continues to cost us goals, was rooted to his line as corners are swung in to his 6 yard box. And hopefully we've seen the last of Hallberg who offers nothing each game. Newell showed us how to play that role. Doidge man of the match for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Maxwell saves that and Maxwell saves the second on Sunday but hey ho!
    That would have been about his 5th and 6th saves in his whole time here .

Rocky might have issues, but being worse than Maxwell is definitely not one of them....

I think there’s to many players to come through to claim it

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    That would have been about his 5th and 6th saves in his whole time here .

Rocky might have issues, but being worse than Maxwell is definitely not one of them....
    All about opinions but Maxwell is now gone and Rocky is still here and deservedly gets my support until his next big mistake

Say what you want about Maxwell but he was good at coming for crosses and comfortable with the ball at his feet

The end for him was his mistake up at Ross County

When was the last time Rocky made a mistake?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 23-01-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Ref was awful. Fast tracked because who his dad was.

Not sure how the Hamilton play didn’t get a yellow for the foul on Boyle
    In front of the west. Should have then be sent off for another cyclical tackle when Boyle was into the box.
    Correct! Same player that got booked 10 minutes later for a foul on the same player down at the touchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Very good again only comment is why does Allan get an easier ride than Hallberg and Slivka ? Why not just the same comment.
    All 3 were very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Have to say at the game it looked like Rocky could have done better
    Bogdan certainly would have...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I could have said the same but chose to express my disappointment because I know he can be a whole lot better than what we’ve been seeing
    This is how it feels

All about opinions but Maxwell is now gone and Rocky is still here and deservedly gets my support until his next big mistake

Say what you want about Maxwell but he was good at coming for crosses and comfortable with the ball at his feet

The end for him was his mistake up at Ross County

When was the last time Rocky made a mistake?
    Passing the ball to Ryan Jack to score an open goal at ER just before Christmas might not have been his last mistake, but it's definitely a big howler.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Passing the ball to Ryan Jack to score an open goal at ER just before Christmas might not have been his last mistake, but it's definitely a big howler.
    Charged down by Aribo scored by Ryan Kent

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    This place is ridiculous at times.

The tallest human in recorded history, Robert Wadlow, stood at 8ft 11 and even he would have had no chance of grabbing that cross last night.

I would have given MOTM to Doidge, his hold up play in first half was the only plus point in first half. the midfield just did not work at all in first half. Newell deserves a chance for a run in first team in that positon.

Charged down by Aribo scored by Ryan Kent
    Yeah, but it was Rocky's fault for giving Aribo enough time to put a touch on the ball. Definitely a howler in anyone's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Yeah, but it was Rocky's fault for giving Aribo enough time to put a touch on the ball. Definitely a howler in anyone's book.
    Agree!

👍🏾

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Newell was excellent and is a nailed on starter vs motherwell now but i thought horgan was equally impressive and am surprised to see him scored so low.
    8 and 7 are tremendous scores for 45 minutes of football which I think both Newell and Omeonga deserved. In any circumstances 6 is a very very good score for a guy who only played from the 57th minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I could have said the same but chose to express my disappointment because I know he can be a whole lot better than what we’ve been seeing
    … Allan didn't only play 45 mins either ;-)