hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Testimonial Due
    I am trying to forget about that game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Definitely wouldn't have changed a thing in the lead up to us winning the cup - everything that led to it played its part in the unbelievable levels of elation and emotion that came with it. Was worth very single ounce of pain I'd experienced as a Hibs supporter to experience that.

Couple of things that I'd liked to have worked out differently since winning it -

Aberdeen semi final in 2017: deserved so much more that day, and it would have been amazing to defend our trophy that we won as a Championship team, all the way to the final - whilst still in the Championship.

Hearts league loss in May 2018: not a great performance on the night but again we deserved more. Still sticks in my throat that that wee rat Naismith scored the winner when he should have been suspended for the game. Even a point would have kept us in the hunt for 2nd place, I felt our performance over the season deserved to at least extent that possibility until the final day.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had we stayed up we wouldn’t have had the cup run we did and we wouldn’t have won the cup in the manner we did. The butterfly effect.

Would not change the cup win for anything
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Had we stayed up we wouldn’t have had the cup run we did and we wouldn’t have won the cup in the manner we did. The butterfly effect.

Would not change the cup win for anything
    OK I get it!

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    What happened was a "few" years of mismanagement, gave us a wake up call and we had to get ourselves together, was gutting we went down but i believe it changed us for the better

@hibs.net private member
    The Hamilton game was brutal and I’ve always disliked Hamilton since, but Kris Boyds goal for Kilmarnock was the goal actually put us in the play off.

Wouldn’t change a thing though, as we might have coasted along with more mediocrity for all these years without winning the Scottish cup.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    only thing I would change would be the timing

any other year I wouldn’t have minded so much but to go down after holding a relegation party for hearts a month or two earlier was mortifying.

it takes a pretty special effort to emerge without bragging rights from a season when your city rivals have gone into administration, near liquidation, docked 15 points and relegated. Hibs made absolute fools out of us, but that’s all part and parcel of being a hibee

@hibs.net private member
    If we hadn't got relegated then we don't know if we would have won the cup or not.

Surely no hibs fan would gamble that day in May 2016.

The answer is no.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't understand how people can say we wouldn't have won the cup. Getting relegated wasn't the reason we won the Scottish Cup.

I think Dempster would also have emptied Butcher at the end of the season anyway. She's smart enough to realise he's an idiot.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Genuine question to those saying they wouldn't change things because of what happened over the next 2-3 years, why would that not have happened if we had managed to stay up in 2014?

I don't really follow that logic.
    The butterfly effect - if we hadn't been relegated you can be sure things would have worked out differently. It's impossible to fathom in precisely what ways but they would have been different alright. For starters, Butcher and Malpas may just have remained and the personnel on the pitch would have been different regardless of the manager. We probably would not have had such a big clear out and therefore would not have recruited in the same way. We would have had different games - different injuries and suspensions and different mentality in the squad. So to think we'd have had the same outcome in any given cup competition would be an enormous stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I don't understand how people can say we wouldn't have won the cup. Getting relegated wasn't the reason we won the Scottish Cup.

I think Dempster would also have emptied Butcher at the end of the season anyway. She's smart enough to realise he's an idiot.
    Well for a start would Celtic have loaned us Stokes and Henderson had we been in the same league? In fact I dont think they even could have due to the rules. Seeing how key they were its perfectly reasonable to suggest we dont win that cup unless we are relegated. Not in the way we did anyway.