hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Youth Development

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/20...-young-players

Article showing the success Scotland’s top 6 clubs have had in the last 10 years developing players. We come a very unimpressive 6th. To be fair, Eddie May has only been here for 5 of those years but it does not seem to be improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Article showing the success Scotland’s top 6 clubs have had in the last 10 years developing players. We come a very unimpressive 6th. To be fair, Eddie May has only been here for 5 of those years but it does not seem to be improving.

II’ve heard more bad than good regarding Eddie May and the way he’s portrayed by people who’ve been in and around hibs and the youth teams.
    Last edited by Stuart93; 20-01-2020 at 10:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Interesting piece.

Still can't get my head around Wotherspoon being dropped for two cup finals. Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    II’ve heard more bad than good regarding Eddie May and the way he’s portrayed by people who’ve been in and around hibs and the youth teams.
    I can turn a blind eye to him allegedly being a bit of a dick if he gets results. However we def don’t seem to be getting results.

I’d be going old school and still have the boys cleaning boots and helping out around the place. Builds character and a bit back bone. We have too many “nice” boys coming thru. These boys are wrapped in cotton wool and the second they are exposed to shouts and abuse from the stands, most wilt.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Given the financial muscle that the likes of Celtic have, you would think that we would be higher up this list (because teams that cant buy success need to develop it - see Hamilton).

I agree that this is a rather worrying (non) development - and even more frustrating because we went through a period of winning a lot at Dev level, but the players didnt seem to make the transition to first team.

As well as other issues, this should be close to the top of any grand plan that Ron G has.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The article only underlines what most of us have been saying for ages. Something is seriously wrong with
    our scouting system and youth development or lack of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I’d be going old school and still have the boys cleaning boots and helping out around the place. Builds character and a bit back bone. We have too many “nice” boys coming thru. These boys are wrapped in cotton wool and the second they are exposed to shouts and abuse from the stands, most wilt.
    When did the boys stop cleaning boots etc? They were still doing it at the end of last season. And yes Eddie May is the single largest blocker for us in terms of attracting top talent.

That makes for some pretty grim reading, I trust the club will be looking into this kind of thing and how to improve although it is hard to tell how these figures are affected by previous years of failure (i.e. before Eddie May).

Must admit though I am not too impressed with his tenure (all be it relatively short) so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    The article only underlines what most of us have been saying for ages. Something is seriously wrong with
    our scouting system and youth development or lack of it.
    Not really. We are either the 3rd, 4th or 5th biggest side in Scotland depending on your take on things.

We've come 6th. it's hardly massive underachievement.

Good enough? Nope? Sign of something wrong? Yup but seriously wrong? bit ott.

Also - the stats in that article are devoid of context. In the last 10 years hearts have played lots of youngsters, and given them lots of game time. I wonder why? Perhaps it was the full season where they had to play their youth products because they went into administration?

Just a thought. Same with Rangers.
    Last edited by Onceinawhile; 21-01-2020 at 07:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

As we know past performance is not an indication of the future.
    What lens should we be looking at - the latest batch.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I'm not sure those stats can be right. I can count 15 players who came though fairly easily, and am sure I'll be missing some

The previous decade is one of unmitigated failure with regards to youth development, probably magnified by the success in the decade which preceded that. 'Golden generations' such as that which contained Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, Whittaker, Riordan etc aren't going to be regular occurrences but we need to be producing far more first team players from within our own ranks. Porteous is the only real success story in the last 10 years (you could make an argument for Spoony).

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Not really. We are either the 3rd, 4th or 5th biggest side in Scotland depending on your take on things.

Also - the stats in that article are devoid of context. In the last 10 years hearts have played lots of youngsters, and given them lots of game time. I wonder why? Perhaps it was the full season where they had to play their youth products because they went into administration?

Annoying that the year Hearts played their youngsters they were better than us.

@hibs.net private member
    I wrote about this a while ago. I have a tradesman who works for me. The family are all rabid yams. His laddie plays for hearts, rangers and hibs.

Very promising little player from what I’ve heard from other people. The dad has told me though that it’s between hibs and rangers who he signs for. I said not hearts? He said no they’re too regimented and strict with the kids so his son doesn’t like going to hearts. Hibs are the complete opposite and very relaxed. Rangers however are next level. Give all the younger players meals and nutrition etc. Basically treat them like mini professionals.

I don’t know his laddie has chosen but it was between hibs and rangers. Hibs because of the relaxed set up and close to the family home, but they really wanted to go to rangers even though it was 90 minute drive at rush hour 3-4 times a week.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    The previous decade is one of unmitigated failure with regards to youth development, probably magnified by the success in the decade which preceded that. 'Golden generations' such as that which contained Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, Whittaker, Riordan etc aren't going to be regular occurrences but we need to be producing far more first team players from within our own ranks. Porteous is the only real success story in the last 10 years (you could make an argument for Spoony).
    Yep. We seem to produce young players who can make the initial step up to the first team squad and look promising, but somehow their further development as professionals stalls at that point - thinking players like Harris, Stanton, Booth recently and Shaw and Murray currently.

Promoted too soon or just not adequately prepared for the professional game?

Left by mutual consent!

In that ten years we have brought through next to nobody and have been relegated having finished second bottom in 2012 also. Hearts are still playing a lot more younger players than us every single season. If it’s Ron’s master plan to have the best youth policy in the country then it’s going to have to change and fast.

Left by mutual consent!
    Porteous still has a hell of a lot to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Yep. We seem to produce young players who can make the initial step up to the first team squad and look promising, but somehow their further development as professionals stalls at that point - thinking players like Harris, Stanton, Booth recently and Shaw and Murray currently.

Promoted too soon or just not adequately prepared for the professional game?
    Technically those guys are success stories as they are current professionals.

@hibs.net private member
    Producing one youth over the last 10 years(Porteous), who has been able to contribute consistently for the first team , is simply not good enough. Not sure what the root cause is but it needs to be addressed now. This club, whether we like it or not, needs ongoing revenue from player sales. At the current rate we'd be as well binning the youth program and channel the money into buying young talent from smaller clubs e.g. players like Mcginn. Appreciate they don't come along often but when they do the likes if Aberdeen seem to be the one's moving for them first.
    Last edited by hibee-boys; 21-01-2020 at 07:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Technically those guys are success stories as they are current professionals.

Success, maybe in their eyes, but what value have they produced for Hibs? Are we a feeder team, developing players for lower league teams?

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Success, maybe in their eyes, but what value have they produced for Hibs? Are we a feeder team, developing players for lower league teams?
    I totally agree, just pointing out that they are the best we have produced. Serious questions need asked of Hibs because a lot of money gets spent on youth development.

Annoying that the year Hearts played their youngsters they were better than us.

Whilst they done that through necessity it brought a few of them on. Experience and confidence to play.

For me it's having both a manager who puts trust in younger players and who gives them 'proper' opportunities. 10 mins here and there isn't ideal.

It's also a club philosophy where young players are allowed to make mistakes.

I'm not saying that every young Hibs player will be a star, but we develop them right up to the edge of the first team but rarely push them through.

Almost write them of before they've started.

It's not going to happen but I'd love to see more play regularly. Not 10 mins here, 5 mins there then out the squad.

Shaw for me is the perfect example. Murray another. Gullan too. Give them a platform week in, week out to develop and grow in confidence.

I know there's probably at least a couple of others who may also could be considered.

If 1 in every 3 comes good then that's a start.

Not quite the same but if I think of Boyle when he arrived aged 22. Had the potential but never really got anyone too excited at first. He's has grown through support and opportunity into a fabulous player.

Maybe Brown, Deeks, Gaz et al were just a freak batch. Or maybe they were just given the platform, environment and confidence to really thrive?

Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Whilst they done that through necessity it brought a few of them on. Experience and confidence to play.

For me it's having both a manager who puts trust in younger players and who gives them 'proper' opportunities. 10 mins here and there isn't ideal.

It's also a club philosophy where young players are allowed to make mistakes.

I'm not saying that every young Hibs player will be a star, but we develop them right up to the edge of the first team but rarely push them through.

Almost write them of before they've started.

It's not going to happen but I'd love to see more play regularly. Not 10 mins here, 5 mins there then out the squad.

Shaw for me is the perfect example. Murray another. Gullan too. Give them a platform week in, week out to develop and grow in confidence.

I know there's probably at least a couple of others who may also could be considered.

If 1 in every 3 comes good then that's a start.

Not quite the same but if I think of Boyle when he arrived aged 22. Had the potential but never really got anyone too excited at first. He's has grown through support and opportunity into a fabulous player.

Maybe Brown, Deeks, Gaz et al were just a freak batch. Or maybe they were just given the platform, environment and confidence to really thrive?

Who knows.
    In some respects, Brown, Thomson et al got their chance through necessity too (albeit, not in the same desperate situation as the Hearts laddies were blooded in) as Bobby Williamson took over when we were looking to cut the wage bill. Luckily, they were up to the job and we got 4 or 5 fantastic years out of them (as well as a trophy, and some huge transfer fees).

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

We were told the multi million pound investment in East Mains and the Academy was supposed to give us a big advantage when attracting young players. That doesn't seem to be the case or else our scouting system is not good enough. Rangers and Celtic are able to spend millions on players yet they still manage to unearth and bring through young players good enough to play in the first team. Hibs record in that respect over the past 10 years or so has been poor to say the least.

In some respects, Brown, Thomson et al got their chance through necessity too (albeit, not in the same desperate situation as the Hearts laddies were blooded in) as Bobby Williamson took over when we were looking to cut the wage bill. Luckily, they were up to the job and we got 4 or 5 fantastic years out of them (as well as a trophy, and some huge transfer fees).
    Very true.
    Last edited by SquashedFrogg; 21-01-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Says in ten years only 15 players have come through our system
    The Ajax model aspires to three or four a season Probsbly beyond our reach consistently but it’s an area we need to improve on
    What’s Ron’s master plan for this An indoor pitch alone won’t improve this ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    I'm not sure those stats can be right. I can count 15 players who came though fairly easily, and am sure I'll be missing some
    They’re wrong.

I counted 36 players.

The assertion about David Wotherspoon is wrong too.

Most of the minutes played by academy players is by Hanlon and Stevenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    When did the boys stop cleaning boots etc? They were still doing it at the end of last season. And yes Eddie May is the single largest blocker for us in terms of attracting top talent.
    They still do, they have 2 or 3 senior players boots that then need to look after. It's always been the case.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    They’re wrong.

I counted 36 players.

The assertion about David Wotherspoon is wrong too.

Most of the minutes played by academy players is by Hanlon and Stevenson.
    They came through more than 10 years ago.