hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ban is to lessen the temptation/opportunity to fix games.
    Fixing games is a whole different level. If people are going to go to the effort of actually fixing a game it’s unlikely they’re going to be bothered about a non gambling rule.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've always liked Brian Rice but obviously he has a major addiction.

I wonder why he turned himself in - maybe a story was about to break.
    He didn’t turn himself in, a bookmaker went to the sfa with the information.

He might have self referred himself after he became aware the sfa were aware of his betting on the past year.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    He didn’t turn himself in, a bookmaker went to the sfa with the information.

He might have self referred himself after he became aware the sfa were aware of his betting on the past year.
    Where are you reading this?

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Two great statements from Hamilton and BR. Gambling is insidious and is pushed into everyones faces wether you want it or not. Bookies are the only winners in gambling with no further proof needed than Bet365s CEO getting a third of a billion £ bonus. I hope Brian gets back on the wagon and manages to stay there for good, it must be hellish to be addicted to gambling these days

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Fixing games is a whole different level. If people are going to go to the effort of actually fixing a game it’s unlikely they’re going to be bothered about a non gambling rule.
    It doesn't even have to be fixing.

You can bet on just about anything. For example, you can get 8/1 for a West Brom player to get sent off tonight. 6/1 for Stoke.

A penalty and a card in the first half gets you 60/1.

All of those are pretty easily arranged if you were that way inclined.

The rules stop everyone in football from betting on games, and from passing information which might be used for betting and rightly so.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-01-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

You can bet on just about anything. For example, you can get 8/1 for a West Brom player to get sent off tonight. 6/1 for Stoke.

The rules stop everyone in football from betting on games, and from passing information which might be used for betting and rightly so.
    Time of the first throw-in anyone...?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Excellent statement and really great that both the chairman and Brian Rice are doing what they can to remove the stigma of gambling addiction.

Companies who sell alcohol and tobacco are heavily restricted on who they can target in terms of advertising, where and also who they sell to and at what times. Although it's everywhere the amount of effort to ensure that these laws are adhered to ensure that although lapsing back into addiction will always be a possibility, there are public groups where people can get confidential advice and help. Crucially, if someone is drunk then it is illegal to serve them more alcohol and if you know someone is a recovering alcoholic then it is illegal to serve them as well.

Gambling companies will have every third shop in impoverished areas, filled with FOBT's and will advertise as much as possible around sports events on the TV and live too. They will fund the likes of Wayne Rooney for a second tier club. There have to be options to self exclude but having known a couple of gambling addicts this never seemed too difficult to get removed or circumvent and unlike if someone is drunk, the bookies seem to have no problem in taking thousands off someone who doesn't have thousands to waste. Putting a "When the fun stops stop" banner at the bottom of your posters is meaningless when so much effort is put into getting people to bet in the first place.

It's time that the gambling companies are restricted as much as the alcohol and tobacco companies are. It seems far more acceptable for a bookies to take money off a gambling addict than it is for a bar to serve a recovering alcoholic IMO.

FOBTs and the sheer amount of betting shops in impoverished areas would be the equivalent of opening a number of bars around an AA meeting and flyering adverts for beer for those attending. It's completely immoral.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Not sure what it has to do with Ruth Davidson mind you. She can't even be bothered having surgeries with her constituents.
    I’m no “conservative” but the Tories have made noises about dealing with the incipient gambling problem the nation is developing, so it might be to do with that, and I don’t disagree with their position.

The credit card solution is just the start of it.

The football authorities played quite a big role in helping him out of what was a potentially horrific situation before, it will be interesting to see if they are supportive again or punitive.

It is a horrific affliction, and I’d like to echo the sentiments that the statements were top class.

Exactly. Or goal kick.

Just have a shot from the halfway line and make sure it goes over the bar.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Matt Le Tissier has admitted to being involved in something like that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...on/8236108.stm

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Where are you reading this?
    If you read between the lines in the bbc report, and I dare say on the sfa website notice of complaint if its up the logical conclusion is that information relating to private transactions between an individual and a bookmaker - or bookmakers - has reached the sfa.

I think you would have to be a bit naive to believe that information has been freely offered to the sfa by the individual.

What I'm not sure of - although perhaps others are - is bookmakers responsibilities in reporting transgressions by footballers to the appropriate bodies because FIFA code of ethics is very clear on this. My suspicion is that bookmakers will report as and when they become aware of it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Matt Le Tissier has admitted to being involved in something like that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...on/8236108.stm
    I'm sure Robbie Fowler once suspiciously hoofed the ball out for a throw in straight from kick-off (it wasn't a tactic at the time). Thereafter the bookies only accepted spreads on timed events outwith the first 2 minutes.

I'm sure Robbie Fowler once suspiciously hoofed the ball out for a throw in straight from kick-off (it wasn't a tactic at the time). Thereafter the bookies only accepted spreads on timed events outwith the first 2 minutes.
    PP let you bet on what happens in minute 1.00 to 1.59.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A good opportunity for the nicest man in football, Guillaume Beuzelin, to get the gig. He might actually make them watchable.
    I hope that Hamilton will stick with Rice and that he can turn it around.

Unless he’s been betting on his own team to lose I don’t see the problem. I know he’s broken the rules, but I doubt he’ll get much of a ban.

The ruling is in place, quite rightly, to stop people gambling on games they can actively influence.

I don't see why anybody should be vilified for gambling on leagues in other countries, or games they are in no way involved in.

Wimbledon of the Jones, Wise etc. era used to openly do this and even wrote about it in their biographies. They would win the toss then just kick the ball out for a throw in - and then collect their winnings.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

All of those are pretty easily arranged if you were that way inclined.

What you describe is fixing and is 100% illegal. If you’re caught doing that it normally carries a custodial sentence. Do you remember the case a few years ago with the cricketers bowling no balls? I’m sure both of them were sent to prison.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

The ruling is in place, quite rightly, to stop people gambling on games they can actively influence.

I don't see why anybody should be vilified for gambling on leagues in other countries, or games they are in no way involved in.
    John McGinn is good mates with Liam Henderson.

Stephane Omeonga will also have friends in Italy and Belgium.

The football world is a relatively close knit community.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What you describe is fixing and is 100% illegal. If you’re caught doing that it normally carries a custodial sentence. Do you remember the case a few years ago with the cricketers bowling no balls? I’m sure both of them were sent to prison.
    I do tend to think that the bookies don't help themselves either. Remember when that goalie (IIRC his name was Wayne Shaw) who they put a price of 25/1 on him eating a pie on the subs bench because he was fat, and he arranged with his friends to bring him a pie.

That was little more than bullying from them because he was overweight, and as soon as they got it up them they called foul.

They must have known that they were opening themselves up for something like that. It's hardly also a stretch of the imagination by opening up bets as to things like time of the first throw in etc. you're opening yourselves up big time for that sort of thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Yes, you're right. I meant fixing the result.

It's certainly illegal, and I'm sure it still happens, but if betting was allowed within football, it would be a lot more widespread. That would apply in every league, but particularly in the lower echelons when games don't attract the same crowds or TV exposure, and where players are paid a lot less.

I know an ex-player who gave a brown paper bag full of money to the captain of his team's next opponents. He called it their "holiday money".

Player 1s team needed the points to stay up. Player 2s team couldn't improve their league position.

I should say that this was a long time ago, and didn't involve Hibs.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-01-2020 at 01:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I was sounded out at Junior level to see if I was interested in becoming involved in betting linked to games.

Some bookies at that time had been accepting bets at that level for a good while.

Download a Tor browser, go on the dark Web and learn how to use it. You'll see how rife corruption linked to gambling is in football.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Because the could have access to inside information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hypocricy of the football authorities accepting sponsorship from the cancer that is gambling is mind boggling. Punish the addicts whilst encoraging them to feed their habit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Download a Tor browser, go on the dark Web and learn how to use it. You'll see how rife corruption linked to gambling is in football.
    What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    What is that?
    https://www.csoonline.com/article/32...oull-find.html
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Two great statements from Hamilton and BR. Gambling is insidious and is pushed into everyones faces wether you want it or not. Bookies are the only winners in gambling with no further proof needed than Bet365s CEO getting a third of a billion £ bonus. I hope Brian gets back on the wagon and manages to stay there for good, it must be hellish to be addicted to gambling these days
    Bet365 is a good example. They are the biggest online bookie on the planet, with no physical shops.

But here's the thing. You will never beat a bookie long term and it's nothing to do with picking winners.

If you are successful, you will be banned by the bookmaker it's as simple as that.

And sooner or later you will run out of places to bet.

It truly is a mugs game, you cannot win.

Sympathy for anyone suffering from any addiction and hopefully with the right support Rice can conquer this.

There was a gambling culture in the Hibs dressing room when he was assistant. Nothing to do with players betting illegally on matches but a culture of non football betting which led to players borrowing and owing money and at least one debt related square go. I wondered at the time why Yogi and Rice who generally managed in an "old school" fashion didn't clamp down on this but if Rice was a known gambler maybe it wasn't something he / they felt able to take the moral high ground on ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That's a dangerous place to be sending folk!

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    That's a dangerous place to be sending folk!
    A bit like the occult. Be very careful, best avoided.