hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Dundee Utd 19 01 20)

I’m having déjà vu moment here. I’m pretty sure Hibs have drawn 2 – 2 away to a Robbie Neilson side before and that after that game, Neilson announced his side would win in the replay. We’ll see, Robbie we’ll see.

As to today’s game I have to say that for the most part we were the better side and only have ourselves to blame for having to do it all again. United, I believe, had two shots on target and scored from them both whilst we had lots of decent chances to put the game to bed. Granted, a few of our chances were thwarted by good goalkeeping but on other occasions it was down to poor final efforts or bad decision making.

There was a starting place in midfield for Steven Whittaker which I confess came as a surprise to me whilst Jack Ross had Doidge up top with Kamberi in a forward position on the left. Hibs were soon in to their stride and only a few minutes had passed before a clever strike from Kamberi looked netbound only for Connolly to clear off the line. Pleasingly, Hibs were on the front foot and were pretty much dominating when the opening goal came on the eighth minute mark. Boyle skipped away from a marker and played a lovely reverse pass towards the waiting Doidge who allowed the ball to run beyond him before guiding a right foot shot into the bottom corner.

Soon after, Boyle raced free and had two United defenders converging on him as he played a perfectly weighted pass to Hallberg, the midfield man having bust a gut to get forward. Unfortunately Hallberg’s effort was poor and Siegrist saved easily. The visitors came close again when a low cross into the box by Kamberi was deflected off a defender and looked as though it might sneak in at the near post before Siegrist stuck out a foot to deflect the ball wide.

The hosts hadn’t really threatened a great deal, winning a few corners that came to nothing but with the half time whistle approaching fast, Naismith went down injured and there was a break in play which may have affected the Hibs defenders’ focus. Porteous was caught square on to his man and when the ball was passed beyond him, Shankland got a lucky break as the ball bobbled beyond the outstretched leg of Lewis Stevenson allowing the striker to fire the home. It was a blow because the hosts had offered very little but still managed to go in level.

With David Gray on in place of Naismith, Hibs started the second half in the best way possible with an early second goal. Hanlon won the ball in his own box and fired a pass to Kamberi on the left. Flo went on a rampaging run deep into United territory before picking out Scott Allan who in turn played the ball in to the unmarked Boyle who sent a low raker into the corner of the net from around 25 yards. I heard Robbie Neilson say after the game that his side had conceded two soft goals due to daft errors and whilst I agree that many goals are lost that way, this one wasn’t. It came due to intelligent play at pace and had nothing to do with poor defending.

Very soon thereafter Ryan Porteous picked up an injury and had to be replaced; McGregor joining the fray. I’m worried for Ryan that it is a recurrence of the knee problem that kept him out for so long. Hibs had now replaced two of the back four and the familiar quartet of Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson was back in play.

The hosts were just about doing enough to stay in the game but their keeper was a busy man, saving from a Doidge header and a Kamberi thunderbolt before Scott Allan should have done much better with a left foot effort he scooped high and wide.

A one goal lead is always precarious and so it proved to be when substitute Appere skipped away from a couple of challenges before sending a swerving and low shot into the far corner off a post. It was a soft goal to concede and it could be argued the defenders should have closed the lad down but I have to say that I felt Rocky should have saved it as he was slow in going down. Minutes later, Appere tried the same shot again but this time it flew wide.

With time ticking down, Hibs to their credit pressed for a winner and a couple of half chances fell to Boyle and Allan. I thought we’d clinched it when a lovely deep cross from Boyle found Doidge who chested the ball down but hesitated in taking the shot on, allowing Siegrist to come out and block at the expense of a corner. One final chance fell to the head of Doidge but Siegrist saved easily and both sets of players now have a replay to look forward to.

The players

Marciano – I have to say that his distribution from hand is much improved but I can’t get rid of the feeling that he should have saved that second goal. Maybe I’m doing him an injustice but I’ve not seen it again yet.

Naismith – Didn’t have a lot of defending to do in the first half and got forward well enough when the opportunity arose. At first I thought his injury was his hamstring but he played out the half so that may be a wrong assumption on my part.

Porteous – Cards on the table here, I’m not sure Ryan should have been put straight back in after his suspension. I wouldn’t want him to think he’s an automatic choice despite getting red cards. As to today, he performed well enough and even found time to charge forward with the ball at his feet a couple of times.

Hanlon – I thought Paul was top notch today. Defended well, read the game well and more often than not picked out a team mate with a forward pass.

Stevenson – The wee man at his best I felt. Unlucky to get booked and if there’s a player at ER with a bigger heart I’ve not seen him play yet.

Boyle – A goal and an assist adds up to a good days work and I understand he got man of the match on the BBC player rater thingy but as good as he was he’s just missed out on my award.

Whittaker – A surprise inclusion but for me the midfield looked a lot stronger and less exposed than it has done in weeks. Whitty was in the thick of it from first to last and although I’m pretty sure folk will disagree I choose him as my man of the match.

Hallberg – Melker should have scored from the Boyle set up but that apart I felt he formed a good shield with Whittaker. His stamina is impressive and his work rate equally so.

Allan – I am a huge fan of Scotty but I felt he was poor today, losing possession and wayward with his passing. Good set up for Boyle’s goal but we need and expect much more from him.

Kamberi – It probably wasn’t obvious if you watched the game on TV but his movement off the ball at times was highly impressive. Flo was unlucky a couple of times and his late thunderbolt would have beaten most keepers.

Doidge – The big man took his goal cleanly and well, working the line to good effect and I’d wager the United central defenders will sleep well tonight.

Gray – David looked ring rusty at times but it was great to see him back in action and the 45 minutes he got will stand him in good stead.

McGregor – Excellent from Daz who never looks flustered and apparently never gives the ball away!

Jack Ross – I heard his post match interview and pretty much agreed with all he said. What did worry me was that he seemed to indicate the injuries to Naismith and Porteous were “not good.”

The fans – A fabulous turnout and a good backing for the team but boy, what a death trap that stand is.

The referee – Another appalling performance and it’s no surprise that both sets of fans were booing him. He should change his name to Kevin Clowncy – childish of me I know but dot net would bar me if I said what I’d really like to call him.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Agree fully with the MoM. Didn’t do well at the 2nd goal but did everything else in the game well.

Allan just needs to keep it simple sometimes. We all know he can do something special, it doesn't have to be every time.

Having seen the 2nd goal again I agree about Rocky. It's a million miles away from a howler but he'll be a wee bit disappointed imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Allan just needs to keep it simple sometimes. We all know he can do something special, it doesn't have to be every time.

Having seen the 2nd goal again I agree about Rocky. It's a million miles away from a howler but he'll be a wee bit disappointed imo.
    I haven't seen it again but at first viewing he needs to be conscious of his near post, the natural angle is for the striker to shoot across his body so he is taken by surprise at where the shot went; he moved fast enough but in off the post. Don't understand the criticism. Credit the strike.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I haven't seen it again but at first viewing he needs to be conscious of his near post, the natural angle is for the striker to shoot across his body so he is taken by surprise at where the shot went; he moved fast enough but in off the post. Don't understand the criticism. Credit the strike.
    I thought the opposite. The only place it could go was where it did go.

Was right behind it and thought he looked slow but not seen it back.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I thought Allan ran the show for an hour, then faded.

Lets face it we should have put this one to bed by half time. By and large thought we played well today, diappointing we couldnt see it through though.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Hanlon blocked his view, but thought Rocky was slow to react

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Lets face it we should have put this one to bed by half time. By and large thought we played well today, diappointing we couldnt see it through though.
    I thought he was awful for all bar the first 15 mins or so. His form is a worry.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Must’ve been watching a different game

Allan was very poor today for the majority. The amount of times he gave it away was asking for trouble.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Must’ve been watching a different game

Allan was very poor today for the majority. The amount of times he gave it away was asking for trouble.
    Have to agree with that
    Not his finest day in a Hibs top. He'll come good again though.

I think Allan is struggling a bit because he is being asked to be a bit more disciplined and do some of the dirty work. He can't just be the maverick playmaker so when he gets the opportunity he's trying to force it. Omeonga may help with that.

I was sat right by the Hibs dugout today and Ross and Potter were on at Allan and Kamberi all game. There was a point in the 1st half where Allan ran to close down their CB, Potter and Ross shouted to him, he turned to look at them and they screamed at him to.......go and close down the CB. A guy behind me shouted 'he would have ****ing been there if he didn't turn to listen you'. Potter did acknowledge the shout and laughed.

My point is in a really good midfield you don't notice the flaws in Allan's game in the same way you do when we are toiling a bit in there.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy spot on!

Keep saying it Rocky throws one in every game time to give Bogdan a chance

Blog Entries
    Excellent as ever John. I'm pretty sure however that the pass of the match (for me) setting Doidge free at the end, came from Paul Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Excellent as ever John. I'm pretty sure however that the pass of the match (for me) setting Doidge free at the end, came from Paul Hanlon.
    You're right, B
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think Allan is struggling a bit because he is being asked to be a bit more disciplined and do some of the dirty work. He can't just be the maverick playmaker so when he gets the opportunity he's trying to force it. Omeonga may help with that.

I was sat right by the Hibs dugout today and Ross and Potter were on at Allan and Kamberi all game. There was a point in the 1st half where Allan ran to close down their CB, Potter and Ross shouted to him, he turned to look at them and they screamed at him to.......go and close down the CB. A guy behind me shouted 'he would have ****ing been there if he didn't turn to listen you'. Potter did acknowledge the shout and laughed.

My point is in a really good midfield you don't notice the flaws in Allan's game in the same way you do when we are toiling a bit in there.
    Allan was the weak link today by a country mile,lets call it a bad day at the office for him.
    He had plenty opportunities to do something with the ball but failed to impact the game.
    Worst I've seen him play.
    I thought the rest of the midfield played well.
    As you say omeonga with hallberg should make life easier for him,but today was a bad yin from him.
    My concern the now is defence with the injuries,just wen we plug one hole another pops up!!

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Brilliant Jonnyboy spot on!

Keep saying it Rocky throws one in every game time to give Bogdan a chance
    You keep saying it Billy but that doesnt make it true

delighted to see u gave MOM to whitts thought he was outstanding

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Coming out of the game I was disappointed at failing to hold on to a lead once again and was relieved we didn't concede another late on. After watching the highlights I was surprised how good we looked at times. We just lack that bit leadership and drive in the middle of the park.

Coaching Staff
    He did get caught out, slow getting down.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    You keep saying it Billy but that doesnt make it true
    It is

Hibs v The Rangers

Livvi v HIBS

Since we last spoke

Quote Originally Posted by davym7062 View Post
    delighted to see u gave MOM to whitts thought he was outstanding
    Correct....and we'll horse them in the reply.

Left by mutual consent!
    Marciano - 'Maybe I’m doing him an injustice ………………..' - don't think so, I have watched it again and haven't changed my mind from my initial thought - I could've got down faster than he did today !.
    Last edited by Deansy; 19-01-2020 at 10:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I thought Whittaker played well, he came away with the ball after a 1v1 numerous times and was composed and tidy. I wonder if this is Ross displaying what is to come re formations?

Kamberi was terrific today, he was so tidy and sharp on the ball. Some great efforts at goal too.

Boyle gets better every time he plays at the moment.

Allan had an off day, but still played a part in both goals. He was being hassled and harried constantly, he will be black and blue tomorrow. There were a couple of times in the second half were gray was bombing down the right but he kept chopping back infield and gave away possession to try and force something.

All in all, we should’ve won, so no change from the majority of the season really. We went to a team high on confidence, with a talismanic goal scorer and made them look bang average, bottom six fodder for swathes of the game. Money spinning replay at Easter road? Well, we all know what happened last time..

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Marciano - '
    Maybe I’m doing him an injustice ………………..' - don't think so, I have watched it again and haven't changed my mind from my initial thought - I could've got down faster than he did today !.
    I've seen it again now and I remain of the view that he should have saved it
    This is how it feels

Happy to see that you have given Whittaker MotM. Others seem to disagree. He made numerous strong tackles. Positioned himself well and often broke up United's play.

Not a long term answer at DM and I still think we need someone in there this window.

It’s a good strike but you’ll understand what people are saying once you have seen it again. Weirdly seems to get down quick enough but his arms just aren’t extended like they should be. I was shocked at the time from my angle at the game and I think it looks even worse on tv.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 19-01-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    It’s a good strike but you’ll understand what people are saying once you have seen it again. Weirdly seems to get down quick enough but his arms just aren’t extended like they should be. I was shocked at the time from my angle at the game and I think it looks even!worse on tv.
    Yep, it’s like he pulls his hands away from it, as if he thinks it’s going by the post

Reflecting back on the game I’m quite disappointed we never won it.

Dundee Utd were nowhere near as good as I thought they were going to be or as good as we’ve been led to believe

I think we’ll take care of them at ER

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Yep, it’s like he pulls his hands away from it, as if he thinks it’s going by the post
    That’s my only explanation for it too as you see goalies doing that ... they cover what they think they need to on the assumption that if it goes past them it’s wide. Something far wrong with what he did no matter what. Really cheap goal all round.

Thought Allan tried to over complicate it too much today. Trying to turn and get away when he should just play the way hes facing at times. Sometimes he just needs to pass the ball. He cant do it all on his own. The amount of times we heard how allan will bring out the best in others, i think Omeonga will bring out the best in Allan. He needs legs around him. He currently only has Hallberg who could be described as mobile first half of the season.