hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

A case for the defence

I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve had about enough as I can take watching the likes of Stevenson, Hanlon and Gray.

Ye ye I know they are club legends blah blah but can anyone hand on heart say that they aren’t past their best?

We need better defenders. Surely next season will bring a fresh new look to our defence with at least three new players replacing the current lot.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve had about enough as I can take watching the likes of Stevenson, Hanlon and Gray.

Ye ye I know they are club legends blah blah but can anyone hand on heart say that they aren’t past their best?

We need better defenders. Surely next season will bring a fresh new look to our defence with at least three new players replacing the current lot.
    Couldn't agree more. Time for a big freshen up.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    It’s been our achilles heal all season.

Our defence isn’t good enough.

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    Yep. Club legends they are but been beyond past it for too long and we need to address it honestly, and quickly.

Look at the facts. A team like Hibernian should be challenging for a top four spot every season. How many times have Hanlon, Stevenson and SDG finished in the top four while at Hibs?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Look at the facts. A team like Hibernian should be challenging for a top four spot every season. How many times have Hanlon, Stevenson and SDG finished in the top four while at Hibs?
    Does that make them bad players?

Hanlon was excellent, ridiculous thread. Actually unreal he could be seen to be at fault.

May be hard for some to admit but our heroes are pretty much done as first choice,sentiment has to be trumped by reality,given that Mcgregor shas till got it.

Efe may be the medium term one signing answer.
    Last edited by hhibs; 19-01-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Does that make them bad players?
    Probably not for a team with ambitions to break into the top six.

Stevenson doesn’t stop crosses, any half decent winger would take him to the byline every time he got the ball. Offers nothing going forward, Ronaldo couldn’t score goals with the delivery he puts in, if we have aspirations of being top 4 side we need quality coming into the box

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hanlon was excellent, ridiculous thread. Actually unreal he could be seen to be at fault.
    I’m not sure how you could say he was excellent when they hardly threatened and when they did they scored two. The only excellent players today was Kamberi and Boyle.

I think I am at this stage now as well. None of them played badly today but we have shipped goals all season. Defensive midfield and the back line really need to be addressed if we are to start challenging for 3rd place

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    May be hard for some to admit but our heroes are prety much done as first choice,sentiment has to be trumped by reality,given that Mcgregor shas till got it.

Efe may be the medium term one signing answer.
    Efe that hasn’t played in nearly a year now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post

Before today, when did you last watch Gray?

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’m not sure how you could say he was excellent when they hardly threatened and when they did they scored two. The only excellent players today was Kamberi and Boyle.
    He was excellent. Neither goal was Hanlon's fault. Pretty awful logic. Hearts scored 2 from 2 chances in the 6-2 game, guess Sauzee wasn't excellent then?

Agreed on Boyle and Kamberi. Whittaker good too.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    After the substitutions and we had the fabled Cup Final defence on the pitch, I did feel a warm glow inside.

Coaching Staff
    Thought Paul played well today also.

All in all it was a good cup tie and mistakes happened both sides leading to goals. Hibs dominated and played well in long spells. Despite every pundit and their auntie seeing this as an easy home win.

One thing that needs improved upon is concentration levels before half time and full time. There’s a noticeable relaxing in key periods of games regardless of whether we are winning or not. Players switch off a little - comes down to leaders on the park barking orders for me. We need one or two.

He was excellent. Neither goal was Hanlon's fault. Pretty awful logic. Hearts scored 2 from 2 chances in the 6-2 game, guess Sauzee wasn't excellent then?

He was clearly at fault for the first goal as was Porto. Stevenson also culpable for a weak challenge on Shankland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Probably still got a better turn of pace than Lewis who has looked injured for about a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    If fit,yes,simple really.If not fit then no,not to hard work out really.

Left by mutual consent!

I’m not sure how you can describe a defender who had no trouble off attackers all day as excellent. He was alright in possession and made a decent block at one point but it was hardly a commanding performance (‘not that he could have done much better).

Left by mutual consent!
    Ridiculous aye? I’m no just talking about today’s game, the bigger picture is what I’m on about. Next season. Surely you must concede that the players I’ve mentioned are past their best and that for the team to challenge for top three or four we’ll need better replacements?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    He was clearly at fault for the first goal as was Porto. Stevenson also culpable for a weak challenge on Shankland.
    I think some are being too harsh on the defence for the goal, practically a man down, Allan shat it out a challenge, Hanlons covering, Porto gets drawn to the ball and a well taken goal.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I actually thought Gray looked better the longer he went. Which suggests he isn’t finished and just not match sharp. Saying that he is a god so my view is possibly blinkered 😁

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I think some are being too harsh on the defence for the goal, practically a man down, Allan shat it out a challenge, Hanlons covering, Porto gets drawn to the ball and a well taken goal.
    There’s no doubt we’re also suffering from the long term absence of a decent DM as well but the defence needs looked at too.

It's no secret that this has to be addressed. It's simply about birth certificates and nobody cheats time forever. Simply heaping scorn on legends for an acknowledged truism is a waste of time. I'm more concerned about Porteous's ankle, given that he and Naismith are the longish term 50% of the back four. Yes, major defensive surgery next season, but in the interim, the way we shore things up here is with a defensive midfielder.

Dundee United scored from their only chances

Goal 1 - Porteous left the back 4 to go to the ball which left a gap for Shankland. Needed to keep the shape.
    Goal 2 - Gray instead of kicking the ball into touch tried to play the ball up the line when unsighted and unbalanced. Ball landed at Utd players foot who passed to Appre. Instead of getting goalside Whittaker dived in front of the Utd player to attempt to intercept the ball but misjudged it and was left for dead by Appre who bent the ball into the far corner of the net of the post. Marciano dive ended with him lying on his chest instead of on his side and he didn't get near the ball.
    Bad errors by Gray & Whittaker

Stevenson and Hanlon played well at the back.

The 3 forwards played very well

Allan was poor given the amount of ball he had. Needs to keep it simpler a lot of the time.
    The midfield desperately needs more legs in it which Slivka and Omeonga can provide.
    Hallberg was all in after 85 minutes
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-01-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Some of the criticism is a bit harsh but it’s true we should be looking for better options. I’m a big Stevenson fan and he’s a great pro but he couldn’t lace David Murphy’s boots and that’s the kind of standard we should be aspiring too. Same goes for whoever partners Porteous and right back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I can’t honestly remember but I’ve seen enough of SDG to form an opinion and please don’t get me wrong I love the guy.
    He’s a hard tackling hard working player but he has lost any pace he once had. He’s a decent back up but we can’t be reliant on players like Stevenson, Hanlon and Gray anymore.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

We must have been watching a different game. First goal Hanlon is marking Shankland, drifts off him to go into the middle for a challenge he didn’t need to make leaving Stevenson to cover.