hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whereas the Saudi Arabia team was a good example of how well a group of 25 year olds can come together.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Possibly, but I still don't think he could ever be classed as having faded away, he was finished by a tackle which didn't belong on any football pitch anywhere.
    Can't argue with that.

Is Hickey left or right footed? I got the feeling he was an “inverted” fullback playing at LB even though he was stronger on his right foot. If so, he might be a decent option for RB. I wouldn’t want to see him join that graveyard full of LB options who couldn’t squeeze their way past Lewis Stevenson.

Testimonial Due
    Talking of bad tackles, it not only can finish a career, but it can also stop a player earning their club £millions getting injured just before the transfer window (i.e. Patterson)!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Groathillgrump View Post
    Paul McStay?

Over 500 appearances for Celtic, many as captain, and 76 Scotland caps. Doesn't sound like a humdrum career to me.

Think if he hadn't been so 'Celtic minded' he could've had a decent career down south if he'd wanted to.
    I was speaking to a former Hibs midfielder recently who was around at the same time as McStay, he also played at a few younger levels for Scotland with him.

He said that he was an absolutely phenomenal player who was very much respected and rated by his fellow pros. His opinion was that his biggest fault was being such a die hard Celtic man, causing him to stay at a (relatively speaking for the time) slightly ailing club for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    That's the equivalent of me forgetting any plans I might have to hook up with Scarlett Johansson and Megan Fox for a threesome this weekend.
    Me and Aubrey Plaza are going to the flics. The rest of this is utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    Me and Aubrey Plaza are going to the flics. The rest of this is utter nonsense.
    You'll get flung oot. She doesn't stop talking.....

I think the myth of how good Durrant was grew arms and legs while he was out injured. Like the others I mentioned he was very good for his age but that doesn't necessarily mean he was going to get any better.
    I remember Durrant as being a fantastic player - I can’t think that we’ve had a better midfielder in my time watching Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is Hickey left or right footed? I got the feeling he was an “inverted” fullback playing at LB even though he was stronger on his right foot. If so, he might be a decent option for RB. I wouldn’t want to see him join that graveyard full of LB options who couldn’t squeeze their way past Lewis Stevenson.
    He's played all across the defence as well as in midfield. Seems to be predominantly right footed but happy on his left too.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Scottish football history is littered with players who had "great potential" in their teens but went on to disappear or have relatively humdrum careers: Eoin Jess, Kevin Harper, Paul McStay, Ian Durrant. People assume because they're ahead of their age group at 17 then they're going to be world beaters at 25. It doesn't usually work like that.

I think this kid will be the same, decent but not special.
    Is that the same paul mcstay that won 3 league titles,4 scottish cups, a league cup and was capped about 80 times for scotland, most players would love a humdrum career like that

I thought Hickey was outstanding at tynie in the last derby. Young lad pushing older more experienced players forward. May be a **** but a great young player regardless

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I remember Durrant as being a fantastic player - I can’t think that we’ve had a better midfielder in my time watching Hibs.
    Yeah i remember him being decent as well, big hype from what i mind though from when he was on his way back, was a horrific tackle though to be fair

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Is that the same paul mcstay that won 3 league titles,4 scottish cups, a league cup and was capped about 80 times for scotland, most players would love a humdrum career like that

Not a natural born winner like Craig Levein, that’s for sure.

Just wondering if his bitterness at his own career (he was a feted teenager was he not?) led him to push other young prospects too hard too soon, leading them to burn out and disappear?

Just a thought.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    I think the myth of how good Durrant was grew arms and legs while he was out injured. Like the others I mentioned he was very good for his age but that doesn't necessarily mean he was going to get any better.
    Ian Durrant was a class act and most supporters (his own team and others) recognised this guy was a bit special. Would he have had to improve beyond his form at that stage to satisfy your “myth” of how good a player he certainly was? He was a special player before getting injured in a shocking tackle and that is fact, “arms and legs and myths” are not part of that player’s profile!

I am no currant bun, Ian Durrant was a top player.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Ian Durrant was a class act and most supporters (his own team and others) recognised this guy was a bit special. Would he have had to improve beyond his form at that stage to satisfy your “myth” of how good a player he certainly was? He was a special player before getting injured in a shocking tackle and that is fact, “arms and legs and myths” are not part of that player’s profile!

I am no currant bun, Ian Durrant was a top player.
    Agree with that, to be fair, it was only after he stopped playing and I was looking back at games did I realise how good he could be at times.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Agree with that, to be fair, it was only after he stopped playing and I was looking back at games did I realise how good he could be at times.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yup he had an impressive career even with the injury and subsequent hiatus... without it, who knows?

Unfortunate habit of signing FTP does tarnish things a bit, but a good player.

What does he sign it on?

If they sell him looks like Celtic get 30% of any fee.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    I thought Hickey was outstanding at tynie in the last derby. Young lad pushing older more experienced players forward. May be a **** but a great young player regardless

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    He was on the ball. Very poor defensively, watch his part in the goals