hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeros16 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So now I’m not allowed to share my opinion without getting called a daftie?
    Taking this awfully personal Mr Thomson
    It's probably unhealthy that your comment was about sex offenders when the rest of us were talking about Edinburgh City.
    A psychologist would have a field day with that.
    P.S. Watch you don't fall on your pitchfork

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    I went up to Elgin few weeks ago with a few pals to watch City just for a day out and a bevy session really. Enjoyed it got the victory as well. I know James really well so I also go along for him. Decent side but cove might have just stole the league with the signing earlier this week.

I think when they move back to Meadowbank they will get a better support. Lack of places to drink etc at Ainslie hurts when away fans and home fans don’t really have anywhere to go before / after the wee bar is sometimes open but not often due to city needing it for Hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmc2105 View Post
    I went up to Elgin few weeks ago with a few pals to watch City just for a day out and a bevy session really. Enjoyed it got the victory as well. I know James really well so I also go along for him. Decent side but cove might have just stole the league with the signing earlier this week.

I think when they move back to Meadowbank they will get a better support. Lack of places to drink etc at Ainslie hurts when away fans and home fans don’t really have anywhere to go before / after the wee bar is sometimes open but not often due to city needing it for Hospitality.
    Didn't realise they were going back to Meadowbank.
    Carnage there at the moment with the building of the student flats and sports centre.
    If they get promoted it would be a good level to send Hibs development players to and that would attract Hibs supporters, especially to Meadowbank.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-01-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Didn't realise they were going back to Meadowbank.
    Carnage there at the moment with the building of the student flats and sports centre.
    If they get promoted it would be a good level to send Hibs development players to and that would attract Hibs supporters, especially to Meadowbank.
    Can't say that any club nearby can be anything other than a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    I'm mildly concerned at EC climbing the leagues and becoming a direct rival for players and new fans. They're looking good for promotion this season. 20 years ago who'd have saw Livingston beat us in a cup final and routinely beat us in the league? Next season they'll only be one division behind Hearts

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'm mildly concerned at EC climbing the leagues and becoming a direct rival for players and new fans. They're looking good for promotion this season. 20 years ago who'd have saw Livingston beat us in a cup final and routinely beat us in the league? Next season they'll only be one division behind Hearts
    Meadowbank had to leave Edinburgh as they had no real fanbase here - similar to EC, tbh.

Livi were financially doped to the eyeballs at that time, Gretna also got to a cup final before going breasts skyward !

I cant get all dewey eyed about "minnows beating bigger teams" when its all fake.

Are they actually moving back to Meadowbank? It's not a stand that is being built. It only has around 500 trackside seats.

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    I hope they go under. This town ain't big enough for the three of us.
    It was big enough pre war when there were 4 Edinburgh clubs in Divisions 1 and 2 in HIbs, Hertz, St Bernards and Leith Athletic.

And you had Edinburgh City kicking about in the amateur leagues.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    Meadowbank Thistle, and Edinburgh City both played at Meadowbank and didn't threaten Hibs.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I thought that the new Meadowbank was only going to have a 500 seat stand. Surely that’s not going to be enough for a team looking to move up the leagues, is there going to be standing areas around the pitch?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I thought that the new Meadowbank was only going to have a 500 seat stand. Surely that’s not going to be enough for a team looking to move up the leagues, is there going to be standing areas around the pitch?
    I'm presuming they would only be renting Meadowbank and that gives them flexibility to move if they need or want to in the future.
    Given their 345 attendance average this season a stand that fits 500 in will work for them meantime.

Their success at the moment is a lot down to ex Hibs and Hearts players deciding to play in Edinburgh rather than doing lots of travelling to play. This geographic advantage has seen the likes of Alex Harris playing at a level below his playing ability this season which has resulted in him scoring 9 goals and getting 7 assists.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-01-2020 at 10:55 AM.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Caught their twitter account liking hearts tweets directed at us, haven't liked them since.

One city, one team, we'll always wear green. F*** the rest.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I'm presuming they would only be renting Meadowbank and that gives them flexibility to move if they need or want to in the future.
    Given their 345 attendance average this season a stand that fits 500 in will work for them meantime.

Their success at the moment is a lot down to ex Hibs and Hearts players deciding to play in Edinburgh rather than doing lots of travelling to play. This geographic advantage has seen the likes of Alex Harris playing at a level below his playing ability this season which has resulted in him scoring 9 goals and getting 7 assists.
    It leaves them with problems if they get promoted though. Teams like Falkirk and Raith would bring a relatively large away support and they wouldn’t be able to accommodate them which would be lost revenue for them. Maybe there’s going to be standing areas around the side that will allow them to get more in.

United we stand here....

They also have a very good manager. (Who’s a Hibby BTW!).

@hibs.net private member

That's Edinburgh City's fault. They chose to keep the upstairs bar exclusively for Directors and hospitality (when they do it). At least when Spartans play at home the fans have access to the bar pre match, half time and post match. The directors slum it in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That is true, it's only 500 seats. Basically a small gazebo stand (like Hamilton) trackside. Really don't think they are going back there.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That is true, it's only 500 seats. Basically a small gazebo stand (like Hamilton) trackside. Really don't think they are going back there.
    Where are they going then? They have only a three-year lease at Ainslie Park and a lease to play at Meadowbank when it reopens.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Where are they going then? They have only a three-year lease at Ainslie Park and a lease to play at Meadowbank when it reopens.
    There was talk of them trying to strike deal using the all seater that will be constructed next to Murrayfield.

I don't know, just speculating. Meadowbank is not on schedule so they'd be daft not to be looking elswhere.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Went to see City v Arbroath a couple of seasons ago, I can honestly say it was the poorest game of "league" football I have ever seen. The highlight was the banter and singing match between Arbroaths dozen or so middle aged anaroks and the Citizens little mob of 14 year boys and girls who were quite lippy.

@hibs.net private member
    Bonnyrigg Rose game v Clyde a sell out today. The biggest problem with Edinburgh City is identity. Where in Edinburgh do they connect with. Very difficult with East and West covered by Hibs and the Duncans respectively and not too bad a travel from East and Midlothian.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Not a great matchday experience, just doesn't feel like a football ground. Most junior grounds feel more alive.

I think they average nearer 400 or so, but never going to be much more. Look at Livi, a decent side, but attract 1200 for games against Killie or Hamilton.

The owner of Boreham Wood, a decent National League side, in North London, has spent millions trying to establish the club, but still average only around 500/600.

I doubt very much if there are any Hibbies who have deserted for EC, but with a bit if luck therer could be a new city derby within two years.....,

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    They're not a new club; they're one of the oldest in Edinburgh, and in fact think they knocked Hibs out of the Scottish Cup in the 1930s?!

However, I agree they are toiling to build a support in a relatively small city with two well supported clubs like Hibs & Hearts

AFAIK, they have no connection to the original Edinburgh City other than the name.

Any Fans of the first EC have long since died out, so their fan base is starting from scratch (which is kinda the point I was making)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    AFAIK, they have no connection to the original Edinburgh City other than the name.

Any Fans of the first EC have long since died out, so their fan base is starting from scratch (which is kinda the point I was making)
    A couple of posters have already mentioned that after your original post. They're still not a 'new' club, but I suppose we're dealing in semantics (and we agree that there is little room for a 3rd Edinburgh club to grow in support, as Meadowbank discovered).

Good factoid

88 fans at Hamilton today.

Good luck to them but there must be better supported teams floating about in the lower leagues, the Shire for instance

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post

Good luck to them but there must be better supported teams floating about in the lower leagues, the Shire for instance
    There may well be but they are well ran club in the league through absolute merit.

The “Shire” average about 150 home gate.

Much better with a club like Bonnyrigg Rose or Kelty Hearts. Probably more the former. Clear identity and good home following.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jimmy View Post
    They also have a very good manager. (Who’s a Hibby BTW!).
    Yeah James is doing well.
    Is Jim Jeffries still their Director Of Fitbaw?

1050 fans at Hamilton Accies today - 2200 today at Bonnyrigg and in the previous round against Montrose, 1700 against Buckie Thistle in a game televised live, Hamilton bring nothing to the game and only 900 of that crowd were home fans, a joke of a club.