hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,504

    Scotland ... Prisoner of a union.

    There is a bill currently going through the lords concerning referendums relating to constitutional / Parliamentary matters. This is the main point in it:

    '''In order for a referendum on any constitutional matter to receive consent it must have the support of two thirds of those MPs who vote on it and two thirds of members of the house of lords who vote on it'''

    Given the demographics of the Westminster parliament and its cross party attitudes to the union if that bill is passed it will effectively cancel in perpetuity the sovereign right of the people of Scotland to ever decide for themselves if they want to leave this 'voluntary' union of nations. And it wont matter a toss if pro referendum parties hold every Scottish Westminster seat and 100% of non list seats at Holyrood.

    It shouldn't matter a damn if you are a unionist or a nationalist, if you believe that there is a country called Scotland you must agree that the people who live in it and claim it as their 'country' have the absolute and inalienable right to decide on its status and future and the choice of when and how to do that. If you allow that right to be removed and effectively ... indisputably .... placed in the hands of another country, which the passing of this bill will do, no ifs, no buts, then how the hell in all good conscience can you with a straight face claim that there is such a country as Scotland and you belong to it?

    Scotlandshire ... pure and simple.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a bill currently going through the lords concerning referendums relating to constitutional / Parliamentary matters. This is the main point in it:

    '''In order for a referendum on any constitutional matter to receive consent it must have the support of two thirds of those MPs who vote on it and two thirds of members of the house of lords who vote on it'''

    Given the demographics of the Westminster parliament and its cross party attitudes to the union if that bill is passed it will effectively cancel in perpetuity the sovereign right of the people of Scotland to ever decide for themselves if they want to leave this 'voluntary' union of nations. And it wont matter a toss if pro referendum parties hold every Scottish Westminster seat and 100% of non list seats at Holyrood.

    It shouldn't matter a damn if you are a unionist or a nationalist, if you believe that there is a country called Scotland you must agree that the people who live in it and claim it as their 'country' have the absolute and inalienable right to decide on its status and future and the choice of when and how to do that. If you allow that right to be removed and effectively ... indisputably .... placed in the hands of another country, which the passing of this bill will do, no ifs, no buts, then how the hell in all good conscience can you with a straight face claim that there is such a country as Scotland and you belong to it?

    Scotlandshire ... pure and simple.
    I'm sure that the English would love to remove the "millstone round their neck that they have to pay money to support." Don't be too pessimist, cutting us loose may be a vote winner.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a bill currently going through the lords concerning referendums relating to constitutional / Parliamentary matters. This is the main point in it:

    '''In order for a referendum on any constitutional matter to receive consent it must have the support of two thirds of those MPs who vote on it and two thirds of members of the house of lords who vote on it'''

    Given the demographics of the Westminster parliament and its cross party attitudes to the union if that bill is passed it will effectively cancel in perpetuity the sovereign right of the people of Scotland to ever decide for themselves if they want to leave this 'voluntary' union of nations. And it wont matter a toss if pro referendum parties hold every Scottish Westminster seat and 100% of non list seats at Holyrood.

    It shouldn't matter a damn if you are a unionist or a nationalist, if you believe that there is a country called Scotland you must agree that the people who live in it and claim it as their 'country' have the absolute and inalienable right to decide on its status and future and the choice of when and how to do that. If you allow that right to be removed and effectively ... indisputably .... placed in the hands of another country, which the passing of this bill will do, no ifs, no buts, then how the hell in all good conscience can you with a straight face claim that there is such a country as Scotland and you belong to it?

    Scotlandshire ... pure and simple.
    The S30 order for indyref1 was passed unanimously in both houses at westminster. However, I do take your point. It doesn't really sit well with the claim of right that a ref can be vetoed at all, really.

  5. #4
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,432
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a bill currently going through the lords concerning referendums relating to constitutional / Parliamentary matters. This is the main point in it:

    '''In order for a referendum on any constitutional matter to receive consent it must have the support of two thirds of those MPs who vote on it and two thirds of members of the house of lords who vote on it'''

    Given the demographics of the Westminster parliament and its cross party attitudes to the union if that bill is passed it will effectively cancel in perpetuity the sovereign right of the people of Scotland to ever decide for themselves if they want to leave this 'voluntary' union of nations. And it wont matter a toss if pro referendum parties hold every Scottish Westminster seat and 100% of non list seats at Holyrood.

    It shouldn't matter a damn if you are a unionist or a nationalist, if you believe that there is a country called Scotland you must agree that the people who live in it and claim it as their 'country' have the absolute and inalienable right to decide on its status and future and the choice of when and how to do that. If you allow that right to be removed and effectively ... indisputably .... placed in the hands of another country, which the passing of this bill will do, no ifs, no buts, then how the hell in all good conscience can you with a straight face claim that there is such a country as Scotland and you belong to it?

    Scotlandshire ... pure and simple.
    That would definitely lead to a violent struggle at some point. The only thing stopping that just now is the realistic democratic possibility to gain independence, if that was taken away it would be game on for extremists.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would definitely lead to a violent struggle at some point. The only thing stopping that just now is the realistic democratic possibility to gain independence, if that was taken away it would be game on for extremists.
    This could all develop very badly indeed. Wonder if Johnson has even the remotest conception of the possible implications of his current stance, or if he's just parroting his Master's voice.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would definitely lead to a violent struggle at some point. The only thing stopping that just now is the realistic democratic possibility to gain independence, if that was taken away it would be game on for extremists.
    Thatís the biggest worry and I wonder if itís the unionist plan?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,432
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This could all develop very badly indeed. Wonder if Johnson has even the remotest conception of the possible implications of his current stance, or if he's just parroting his Master's voice.
    Can't see it happening though. It would set alarms off on a cross party basis.

  9. #8
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís the biggest worry and I wonder if itís the unionist plan?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would be utter madness, if their plan is to ignite a new civil war then that would be the way to go.

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,504
    There's been a few replies which echo my own thoughts on this subject.

    Notwithstanding Johnson's dismissal of the SNP's mandate handed to it under the system which he, his party and every other party in the UK is elected by, it also seems that the Tories under his leadership and with the tacit support of other parties seem determined to make it impossible for the people of Scotland to ever break away from this union ... even if the vast majority of us wanted to, even if the polls showed 99% support for it. Not even refusing independence, but even simply an independence referendum.

    If the ability ( not to mention the right ) to choose, is made subject to and reliant on the overwhelming support of a UK parliament almost exclusively populated by pro union MPs from countries outwith Scotland and a house of lords, which by its very nature since time immemorial has supported the status quo and the establishment, then what he is doing is nothing more than subjugating the will of the Scottish people and their right to determine their own path to the will of countries other than Scotland itself under the guise of 'the UK'. There is absolutely no other conclusion to be drawn from the nature of that bill, its intention is abundantly clear.

    If this bill is passed, then as I said in my original post it wouldn't matter what the people of Scotland voted for, even if that vote in UK and Scottish parliamentary elections was 100% for a party or parties in favour of not even independence but simply the Scottish peoples right to make the decision. If that comes to pass I doubt many people will be impressed by utterances from Westminster or the UK establishment that the criteria for a referendum being granted created by that bill isn't 100% impossible to achieve ... because the truth would be that it would take a political miracle for a Scottish independence referendum bill to make it through the commons and the house of lords, no matter what the people of Scotland have voted for. They know it and that is exactly what this bill is designed to achieve.

    That would .... that will ..... make the opinion of the actual people of Scotland regarding what they want their country to be absolutely immaterial, utterly null and void ... of no consequence whatsoever. If you actually believe that Scotland is a country then for you such a state of affairs can only be viewed as intolerable because it does nothing more, nothing less, than relegate Scotland to a 'region' of the UK or more accurately the biggest county of England masquerading as something called Great Britain, with no more say or right to a say over our future than the people of Yorkshire, Essex, Cornwall, or any other British ... lets call a spade a spade, English ... county.

    If you deny people democracy ... even if you cynically manipulate democracy to do it ... then where do they turn? You don't have to be a f'kng genius to work out the answer to that question. If the stupidity and arrogance of the people currently in charge makes them ignore that simple but fundamental truth then hell mend them.

    Have the British establishment learnt nothing from the bitter lesson of Ireland ... SEW THE WIND.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 16-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SEW THE WIND
    That's not going to work. Suggest instead sticking the needles in to effigies of Johnson. Agree with the rest though.

  12. #11
    We're not a prisoner of anything, we had a referendum quite recently on leaving the UK and I'm sure there will be another in 4 or 5 years time to look forward to
    Dry your pants and get ready for it

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...mpression=true


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're not a prisoner of anything, we had a referendum quite recently on leaving the UK and I'm sure there will be another in 4 or 5 years time to look forward to
    Dry your pants and get ready for it
    And what is the democratic process for triggering it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And what is the democratic process for triggering it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same as last time I'd guess

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same as last time I'd guess
    Which is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    If I was the Heading the Yes campaign I would be expanding the brand into a pro democracy (because whoís not in favour of democracy?) movement now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #17
    First Team Regular Renfrew_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Renfrew, Renfrewshire
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly! There is no democratic process.
    No written constitution, unelected upper chambers and a farcical royal situation means Great Britain is a joke of a nation really.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím sure Johnson will be along in a minute to clarify exactly how long a ďgenerationĒ is. Just so I can get it in my diary.

    J

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,619
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same as last time I'd guess
    You've not been paying attention have you?

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,886
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're not a prisoner of anything, we had a referendum quite recently on leaving the UK and I'm sure there will be another in 4 or 5 years time to look forward to
    Dry your pants and get ready for it
    I understand "prisoner" may seem hyperbolic, but if a Government denies a democratic right AND refuses to state how that right may be achieved in the future, I find the language hard to argue with.

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand "prisoner" may seem hyperbolic, but if a Government denies a democratic right AND refuses to state how that right may be achieved in the future, I find the language hard to argue with.
    If enough people in Scotland want it then it will happen, nobody's a prisoner.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If enough people in Scotland want it then it will happen, nobody's a prisoner.
    How would it happen?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How would it happen?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By answering a yes/no question presumably

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,252
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By answering a yes/no question presumably
    The unionists wonít allow it. They have suspended democracy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,886
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By answering a yes/no question presumably
    Ah, sorry. I thought you genuinely wanted to discuss the point you made.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been a few replies which echo my own thoughts on this subject.

    Notwithstanding Johnson's dismissal of the SNP's mandate handed to it under the system which he, his party and every other party in the UK is elected by, it also seems that the Tories under his leadership and with the tacit support of other parties seem determined to make it impossible for the people of Scotland to ever break away from this union ... even if the vast majority of us wanted to, even if the polls showed 99% support for it. Not even refusing independence, but even simply an independence referendum.

    If the ability ( not to mention the right ) to choose, is made subject to and reliant on the overwhelming support of a UK parliament almost exclusively populated by pro union MPs from countries outwith Scotland and a house of lords, which by its very nature since time immemorial has supported the status quo and the establishment, then what he is doing is nothing more than subjugating the will of the Scottish people and their right to determine their own path to the will of countries other than Scotland itself under the guise of 'the UK'. There is absolutely no other conclusion to be drawn from the nature of that bill, its intention is abundantly clear.

    If this bill is passed, then as I said in my original post it wouldn't matter what the people of Scotland voted for, even if that vote in UK and Scottish parliamentary elections was 100% for a party or parties in favour of not even independence but simply the Scottish peoples right to make the decision. If that comes to pass I doubt many people will be impressed by utterances from Westminster or the UK establishment that the criteria for a referendum being granted created by that bill isn't 100% impossible to achieve ... because the truth would be that it would take a political miracle for a Scottish independence referendum bill to make it through the commons and the house of lords, no matter what the people of Scotland have voted for. They know it and that is exactly what this bill is designed to achieve.

    That would .... that will ..... make the opinion of the actual people of Scotland regarding what they want their country to be absolutely immaterial, utterly null and void ... of no consequence whatsoever. If you actually believe that Scotland is a country then for you such a state of affairs can only be viewed as intolerable because it does nothing more, nothing less, than relegate Scotland to a 'region' of the UK or more accurately the biggest county of England masquerading as something called Great Britain, with no more say or right to a say over our future than the people of Yorkshire, Essex, Cornwall, or any other British ... lets call a spade a spade, English ... county.

    If you deny people democracy ... even if you cynically manipulate democracy to do it ... then where do they turn? You don't have to be a f'kng genius to work out the answer to that question. If the stupidity and arrogance of the people currently in charge makes them ignore that simple but fundamental truth then hell mend them.

    Have the British establishment learnt nothing from the bitter lesson of Ireland ... SEW THE WIND.
    I thought we'd been there for quite a while.

  28. #27
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,504
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If enough people in Scotland want it then it will happen, nobody's a prisoner.
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By answering a yes/no question presumably
    "Nobody's a prisoner" ... Oh really?

    There are 650 UK MPs in parliament of which 59 represent Scottish seats. Even if every Scottish seat was in the hands of the SNP, under this legislation 374 MPs from elsewhere in the UK would have to join those 59 in order to win a Scottish independence referendum vote.

    Even if every MP from Wales and Ireland abstained you would still need 335 English MPs to support the 59 SNP MPs.

    You pop down to the bookies mate and see what odds they would give you on a bill asking for an independence referendum getting through both the commons and the lords with that level of support required .... you would get closer odds on a double of Hibs winning the Champions league and Scotland the world cup within the next 10 years.

    And I haven't even mentioned that if by some miracle ... and lets face it, it would be an honest to God miracle ... the legislation allowing a referendum did pass, that same bill will impose a 60/40 margin on a YES vote before it was accepted as a vote for independence by the UK parliament.

    We aren't even talking about Westminster putting a bar on independence, we are talking about Westminster effectively preventing the people of Scotland from ever having the chance ( or the choice ) to vote on it again.

    In all honesty, in spite of the fact that the source I was made aware of this bill from seems to be reliable, I'm still not convinced it isn't a joke or some sort of early April fools day prank. Because if it isn't and it gets passed into law IMO it's nothing short of colonialism minus the tanks and guns and once folk become aware of it ( I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in the media ) the backlash will be biblical.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; Yesterday at 11:49 PM.

  29. #28
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Nobody's a prisoner" ... Oh really?

    There are 650 UK MPs in parliament of which 59 represent Scottish seats. Even if every Scottish seat was in the hands of the SNP, under this legislation 374 MPs from elsewhere in the UK would have to join those 59 in order to win a Scottish independence referendum vote.

    Even if every MP from Wales and Ireland abstained you would still need 335 English MPs to support the 59 SNP MPs.

    You pop down to the bookies mate and see what odds they would give you on a bill asking for an independence referendum getting through both the commons and the lords with that level of support required .... you would get closer odds on a double of Hibs winning the Champions league and Scotland the world cup within the next 10 years.

    And I haven't even mentioned that if by some miracle ... and lets face it, it would be an honest to God miracle ... the legislation allowing a referendum did pass, that same bill will impose a 60/40 margin on a YES vote before it was accepted as a vote for independence by the UK parliament.

    We aren't even talking about Westminster putting a bar on independence, we are talking about Westminster effectively preventing the people of Scotland from ever having the chance ( or the choice ) to vote on it again.

    In all honesty, in spite of the fact that the source I was made aware of this bill from seems to be reliable, I'm still not convinced it isn't a joke or some sort of early April fools day prank. Because if it isn't and it gets passed into law IMO it's nothing short of colonialism minus the tanks and guns and once folk become aware of it ( I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in the media ) the backlash will be biblical.
    You put this so well and better than I could. You are spot on and anyone living in Scotland, whether hereditary or through choice should read what you say. We are in danger of having our rights, our choices, our opportunity to decide for ourselves what we want for the country we live in decided for us more and more by people who don't live here. I say it time after time but we need to get off our knees and take our country back into the hands of those who want the best for her. And that is the people who live here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved