hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oli Shaw. S Fletcher

Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
    Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
    he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
    Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
    A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.

Appreciate what you're saying but in Fletchers case he was just a far more naturally gifted player than Shaw imo and that's not a dig at Shaw in the slightest. Fletcher was class. You just knew he was quality soon as he broke through at 17

@hibs.net private member
    Fletcher by Shaw’s age was already a fully fledged first team regular..with many scouts watching him ..

Shaw doesn’t have the physical dynamics that Fletcher had - perhaps a more natural goal
    Scorer though ?

? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
    Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
    he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
    Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
    A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.
    Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Shaw will never be in Fletchers class, there is simply no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.
    He had the technical ability most players in our league could only dream of.

Strangely I remember Fletcher getting a fair amount of criticism. Especially when he was played out left. Even after scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final, he was never really liked as much as other home grown strikers like O'Connor and Riordan.

Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    ? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.
    Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.

Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.
    How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.
    The fact he has hardly played is hardly a great defence, he's not being picked for a reason! Not good enough

Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.

Theres a reason he hasnt started much for over a year now. Its not all down to the managers, hes obviously not doing enough in training.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I don’t get the Shaw debate. He isn’t a skinny laddie and has strength. Like all young players he could and will get stronger. He knows where the net is but can’t do it sitting on the bench. Given a run of games he will score regularly. I don’t get the rush to get rid of him to be honest.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I don’t get the Shaw debate. He isn’t a skinny laddie and has strength. Like all young players he could and will get stronger. He knows where the net is but can’t do it sitting on the bench. Given a run of games he will score regularly. I don’t get the rush to get rid of him to be honest.
    He’s not contributed in a long time and been little more than a squad filler, whether that’s been fair or not. I actually think he’d have been given less patience from the support if he hadn’t have come through the youth system and had been a signing. He’s not the main problem, and many many more I’d move on before him, but a 3rd choice striker contributing effectively nothing seems like a good candidate to move on and get a replacement who will contribute more.

Shaw has never been good enough.
    Not being nasty but if your good enough your ole enough.
    Same goes for Murray, Mackie, gullan, if not good enough they should be punted.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.
    If he deserved a run of games he would get them.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    If he deserved a run of games he would get them.
    Pretty much how I see it. We always hear how he hasn’t had a chance and so can’t score goals without one but the managers have obviously decided he hasn’t done enough to get an opportunity.

With that in mind, it’s probably time to move him on.

Two different players that were light years apart in ability, Fletcher was on Real Madrid’s “young players to watch” list for crying out loud.

Shaw seems a nice kid with the right attitude for the game but he’s a bottom 6 SPFL player at best IMO. Not good enough for a club that should have European aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.
    I was talking in relation to comments made in the opening post and about the comparison with Fletcher.
    If your talking about Oli in his own right then sorry, there's a reason he's not getting the games. He's simply not good enough and should have been moved on a while ago.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Shaw has never been good enough.
    Not being nasty but if your good enough your ole enough.
    Same goes for Murray, Mackie, gullan, if not good enough they should be punted.
    Last time he got a consistent run he scored goals and looked useful. To say he's never been good enough is completely untrue.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Last time he got a consistent run he scored goals and looked useful. To say he's never been good enough is completely untrue.
    McNulty came in and took his place and we shot up the league. He wasn't good enough then or now.

McNulty came in and took his place and we shot up the league. He wasn't good enough then or now.
    So it was Oli Shaw's fault that we were struggling?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

So it was Oli Shaw's fault that we were struggling?
    Partly, but the fact we were so much better when he was replaced and has barely been seen since says it all.

Partly, but the fact we were so much better when he was replaced and has barely been seen since says it all.
    Bizarre.

Bizarre.
    Well if he played every game in our bad run that led to Lennon leaving us in 8th place then he wasn't responsible at all? Absolutely bizarre!

If we're seeking to be consistently top 4 etc, I don't see Olí Shaw getting the game time in that team that he would need/be wanting.

Loan for now or sell IMO. When's his contract up?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.
    Spot on👍