hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Oli Shaw. S Fletcher

Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
    Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
    he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
    Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
    A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.

Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.
    He had the technical ability most players in our league could only dream of.

Strangely I remember Fletcher getting a fair amount of criticism. Especially when he was played out left. Even after scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final, he was never really liked as much as other home grown strikers like O'Connor and Riordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Strangely I remember Fletcher getting a fair amount of criticism. Especially when he was played out left. Even after scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final, he was never really liked as much as other home grown strikers like O'Connor and Riordan.

I remember the amount of stick he used to get for moving the ball to his favoured left foot, and people went on about 'one footed players never being good enough'.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

I remember the amount of stick he used to get for moving the ball to his favoured left foot, and people went on about 'one footed players never being good enough'.
    A pretty large element of our support are really not happy unless they are complaining. Always been the case as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Remember a game at Hamilton where he was roundly booed for missing a presentable chance at 0-0. Tickets were only a £5 and my geordie mate who came along couldn't understand why Fletcher was getting abuse.

Scored the winner not too long after as well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ht-relief.html

Appreciate what you're saying but in Fletchers case he was just a far more naturally gifted player than Shaw imo and that's not a dig at Shaw in the slightest. Fletcher was class. You just knew he was quality soon as he broke through at 17

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Appreciate what you're saying but in Fletchers case he was just a far more naturally gifted player than Shaw imo and that's not a dig at Shaw in the slightest. Fletcher was class. You just knew he was quality soon as he broke through at 17

This is true, although he still needed first team experience to develop. Fletcher often played wide initially, as it was recognised he wasn’t yet strong enough to play centre forward.

@hibs.net private member
    Fletcher by Shaw’s age was already a fully fledged first team regular..with many scouts watching him ..

Shaw doesn’t have the physical dynamics that Fletcher had - perhaps a more natural goal
    Scorer though ?

? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    ? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.
    Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.
    I was talking in relation to comments made in the opening post and about the comparison with Fletcher.
    If your talking about Oli in his own right then sorry, there's a reason he's not getting the games. He's simply not good enough and should have been moved on a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
    Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
    he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
    Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
    A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.
    Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.
    Spot on👍

oli

I am not saying Old is as gifted as Fletcher and for sure his ball control lacks something but I still think weights would help ...Fletcher certainly had his critics early days always loosing his footing I clearly recall he was easily pushed over when very young..
    whatever Hibs decide I wish Oli well in his career......players that show 100% should not be discarded without careful thought first.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    I am not saying Old is as gifted as Fletcher and for sure his ball control lacks something but I still think weights would help ...Fletcher certainly had his critics early days always loosing his footing I clearly recall he was easily pushed over when very young..
    whatever Hibs decide I wish Oli well in his career......players that show 100% should not be discarded without careful thought first.
    Out of interest what players don't give 100 percent? Surely trying hard is the minimum requirement?

@hibs.net private member
    His development has stalled and a decision needs to be made one way or the other. I think he could be a player for us but he hasn't started a league game for over a year and has only played 282 mins of league football in the last year scoring two and assisting with two goals all of which came when he was given a decent run of 40 minutes or so. He is a very productive player when given a chance. He hasn't been given anywhere near enough game time in my opinion considering Boyler's injury and large chunks of time where Flo and Doidge have been poor.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Shaw will never be in Fletchers class, there is simply no comparison.

Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.

Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.
    How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.
    The fact he has hardly played is hardly a great defence, he's not being picked for a reason! Not good enough

Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.

Theres a reason he hasnt started much for over a year now. Its not all down to the managers, hes obviously not doing enough in training.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.
    If he deserved a run of games he would get them.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    If he deserved a run of games he would get them.
    Pretty much how I see it. We always hear how he hasn’t had a chance and so can’t score goals without one but the managers have obviously decided he hasn’t done enough to get an opportunity.

With that in mind, it’s probably time to move him on.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    He is not going to score many goals sitting in the stand or on the bench.

First Team Breakthrough my left peg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    He is not going to score many goals sitting in the stand or on the bench.
    IMO shaw is a better player than doidge,and if given as much game time would have scored more goals,but if you pay a whack of cash for a striker then you have to play him,which is what heckingbottom did,Lennon hung him out to dry,playing him upfront on his own and partnered with Lewis Allan who was like playing a man short ,just to scunner Kamberi.
    For the sake of Shaws career he either gets a run of games now ,or he gets a move to a club where he will play.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by my left peg View Post
    IMO shaw is a better player than doidge,and if given as much game time would have scored more goals,but if you pay a whack of cash for a striker then you have to play him,which is what heckingbottom did,Lennon hung him out to dry,playing him upfront on his own and partnered with Lewis Allan who was like playing a man short ,just to scunner Kamberi.
    For the sake of Shaws career he either gets a run of games now ,or he gets a move to a club where he will play.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    Eh, no.

First Team Breakthrough my left peg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Eh, no.
    What,you think doidge is better than shaw...fair enough, he did get a big move to Bolton,but from what I’ve seen,he is less than convincing,though I’m always going to be more biased to players coming through the academy.
    Or you think Shaw wasn’t hung out to dry by Lennon playing upfront on his own or with a Lewis Allan.
    Or you think that Shaw doesn’t need a run of games or a move to another club....can’t be all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk