hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense
    Its a championship team in name, but in the circumstances I recon them away is the one every spl team would be happy to avoid, as that's who we have got, for me I would be over the moon with a win and not at all disappointed if its a draw, its not going to be a walk in the park

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    What a bizzare comment....so if they arent scouting Morelos then Shankland is better than him too?
    Shankland is a better player than Doidge. Criminal Hecky didn’t go for him last summer. Don’t give me the wages crap either as we’ve no money now which means we spend **** loads last summer.

I hope we'll give our own players at least as much support as we give the Dundee United ones on Sunday.

@hibs.net private member
    Shankland defo, look at his goals, the boy is a natural finisher. I love big Doidge though and hope he keeps scoring for us!

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Can safely say I've never seen Shankland play. Looking forward to it on Sunday though, expecting quite the show going by some of the comments on here.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I hope we'll give our own players at least as much support as we give the Dundee United ones on Sunday.
    You’re right. Let’s not bother answering the question like grown-ups and just pretend that shankland is sh*te and Doidge is Ronaldo so we can all be as big hibs supporters as you.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Shankland is a better player than Doidge. Criminal Hecky didn’t go for him last summer. Don’t give me the wages crap either as we’ve no money now which means we spend **** loads last summer.
    So why did no one in the SPL go for him then since you are obviously the font of all knowledge on this subject?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You’re right. Let’s not bother answering the question like grown-ups and just pretend that shankland is sh*te and Doidge is Ronaldo so we can all be as big hibs supporters as you.
    Or, alternatively most of us could say that we have never seen Shankland play - and while its clear the laddie knows where the goals are, all of his goals have been against lower league dross whereas Doidge has only ever scored in the top division in Scotland.

More balanced?

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Pretty silly comment to make, you know that every Hibs fan up at Tannadice will be roaring on the team from the first minute.

If Doidge plays a blinder on Saturday and Shankland is anonymous then there won’t be anyone disappointed. However I’m with the majority and think that Shankland is the better of the two.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Shankland

Shankland would have converted more of the opportunities Big Doidge has had for us St Mirren home and Aberdeen away immediately spring to mind

As others have said Doidge is starting to grow on me and perhaps offers more from a team point of view

I was surprised at the amount of goals Doidge has actually scored albeit in lower leagues 117 from 298 appearances

Shankland 126 from 247

All League games only

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Shankland

Shankland would have converted more of the opportunities Big Doidge has had for us St Mirren home and Aberdeen away immediately spring to mind

As others have said Doidge is starting to grow on me and perhaps offers more from a team point of view

I was surprised at the amount of goals Doidge has actually scored albeit in lower leagues 117 from 298 appearances

Shankland 126 from 247

All League games only
    Which leagues were Shanklands goals scored?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Nice grown-up comment there...

A rather strange thing to say on the back of saying you wanted mcgeouch to put one in the top corner against hibs when we face aberdeen.

I am assuming this is a joke from the OP. Doidge is terrible. Shankland is a Scotland internationalist

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    I am assuming this is a joke from the OP. Doidge is terrible. Shankland is a Scotland internationalist
    Doidge is not terrible

Left by mutual consent!
    In season 2018 - 2019, Kevin Nisbet scored 29 goals for Raith Rovers, in 34 appearances. Lawrence Shankland scored 25 goals in 33 appearances for Ayr United. I think both teams were in the same league.

This season Nisbet has scored 15 goals in 19 appearances for Dunfermline, and Lawrence Shankland has scored 22 goals in 19 appearances for Dundee United, both teams are in the same league. That doesn't tie with Shankland even being the best in his division - when you consider that Nisbet actually scored more than him last season.

Shankland is playing in a winning team, which creates chances for him to score. Nisbet is not, but he isn't that far away.

Is it possible that we are over rating Shankland, and failing to allow for the level he is playing at? I think it is an absolute nonsense to compare him to Doidge, as he has not played at the same level as Doidge.

The fact that not one SPFL team went for either is not a reflection on Hibs, any more than it is on anybody else. I suspect that people who know how to assess a player can see weaknesses in both that suggest they will not make it in the SPFL.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Which leagues were Shanklands goals scored?
    Fine ye ken

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Nice grown-up comment there...
    It’s on a par with the rest of the thread though.

Jason Cummings looked great in the Championship as well. Struggled to make the step up

Left by mutual consent!
    So why did no one in the SPL go for him then since you are obviously the font of all knowledge on this subject?
    I’ve no idea. But let’s not pretend the signing of Shankland wasn’t championed on here long before the summer. Hecky obviously wanted a Doidge instead.

Hopefully this Shankland chat can be put to bed after Sunday

I’ve no idea. But let’s not pretend the signing of Shankland wasn’t championed on here long before the summer. Hecky obviously wanted a Doidge instead.
    So it was Championed on here......and? There are dozens of players mentioned on here, folk suggesting we sign them, funny you never hear the ones that didnt work out elsewhere being cast up? Shankland may turn out to be a fantastic SPL player, or in England, but its telling that no one in the SPL or England didnt rate him enough to sign him last season. What that reason is ive no idea.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Jason Cummings looked great in the Championship as well. Struggled to make the step up
    Cummings more struggled to adapt away from home imo. I think he’d have been a massive success had he stayed here. Shame he left when he did.

Left by mutual consent!
    So it was Championed on here......and? There are dozens of players mentioned on here, folk suggesting we sign them, funny you never hear the ones that didnt work out elsewhere being cast up? Shankland may turn out to be a fantastic SPL player, or in England, but its telling that no one in the SPL or England didnt rate him enough to sign him last season. What that reason is ive no idea.
    I can’t be bother arguing Gordy. I said Shankland would be a great signing and saying for the last two years we should be looking at him.

@hibs.net private member
    I can’t be bother arguing Gordy. I said Shankland would be a great signing and saying for the last two years we should be looking at him.
    Without getting into the debate...what is interesting is that all clubs in Scotland will have watched and known Shankland very well...only United took the chance. It was obviously a conscious choice from Hibs and other top league clubs not to sign him..

Which will be fine if he goes on to prove it at our level or beyond, until then no one can say ‘I told you so’. Hypothetical speaking we could just have easily spent the £5k per week on him, with the massive signing in fee, for him to flop at this level, and our fans go nuts because we spent that money on someone so unproven.

Comparing him with Cummings, at least Jason regularly done it vs the top teams in the country in cup ties, Shankland hasn’t even done that yet.

I’m in no way saying he won’t do those things, but I’m not going to lose my **** at our club for not signing him given then numbers involved.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Without getting into the debate...what is interesting is that all clubs in Scotland will have watched and known Shankland very well...only United took the chance. It was obviously a conscious choice from Hibs and other top league clubs not to sign him..
    I agree with that. Hecky looked to his known market for his forward and that made sense. Dundee Utd too the plunge, paid him the wages and it looks to have paid off. Similar to John McGinn when he came to us perhaps?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Which will be fine if he goes on to prove it at our level or beyond, until then no one can say ‘I told you so’. Hypothetical speaking we could just have easily spent the £5k per week on him, with the massive signing in fee, for him to flop at this level, and our fans go nuts because we spent that money on someone so unproven.

Comparing him with Cummings, at least Jason regularly done it vs the top teams in the country in cup ties, Shankland hasn’t even done that yet.

I’m in no way saying he won’t do those things, but I’m not going to lose my **** at our club for not signing him given then numbers involved.
    There’s no need for the told you so, I’m more gutted we missed the boat.

Shankland will make the grade. I’m not sure why we can’t just admit Dundee Utd have a player on their hands? It’s not a criticism of Hibs. It’s like ignoring how ***** Aberdeen was for two decades before McInness took over and fall over themselves to explain why he’s not done that good a job up there when he’s been outstanding for them.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    I have seen some truly ***** Scotland internationals!!!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Shanklands doing at Dundee Utd about the same as he did at Ayr for what sounds like a lot more money.

Looks like all the SPFL clubs including celtc and sevco are the losers here.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby