hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    @hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Shankland is miles better than Doidge. So, if you are a scout looking at this forum remember that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Doidge wins this 1 but they were both impressive over the 2 games . Pity we hadnt taken a punt on Shankland though , him and Doidge would be some strike pairing . 50+ goals between them a season

Slight tangent to the debate, but Nisbet at Dunfermline has scored 22 goals this season after 34 last season at Raith Rovers. He will be on significantly less money than Shankland and plays currently for a less good team. Was he a better signing than Shankland or did Dunfermline, Dundee United and Hibs just all make good signings last summer in terms of their striking options?

Could they play together or far too similar???

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you play a high line properly against Shankland he will be out the game for most of it. Caught offside almost as much as Kamberi was in his 10 mins spell.
    You’re going to have to explain to about every team he’s ever played against how to play a high line properly then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Slight tangent to the debate, but Nisbet at Dunfermline has scored 22 goals this season after 34 last season at Raith Rovers. He will be on significantly less money than Shankland and plays currently for a less good team. Was he a better signing than Shankland or did Dunfermline, Dundee United and Hibs just all make good signings last summer in terms of their striking options?
    If Nisbet moves from Dunfermline, this window, it will for more cash than we can offer and you can guess at the clubs he might end up at.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    If Nisbet moves from Dunfermline, this window, it will for more cash than we can offer and you can guess at the clubs he might end up at.
    Is that based on info or opinion??

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Is that based on info or opinion??
    My Dunfermline supporting work colleague thinks they paid/are having to pay (not sure if I read somewhere that there’s a dispute with Raith over a transfer fee) a six figure transfer fee. If true I imagine they’d be wanting a fair whack of cash to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    Could they play together or far too similar???
    I think they’d be brilliant together.

Or if you rolled them into one you’d get a complete player.

2 up front isn’t really the done thing any more though.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
    Mark my words 💚💚💚
    Spooky

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Apart from a goal yesterday, Shankland didn't impress me. Can understand now why no big clubs have taken a chance on him.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
    He's a goalscorer but doesn't create them for himself or others. Neilson said it himself. Doidgy brings others into play,is superb in the air for a guy who is shorter than Newell and Hanlon and keeps making good runs all the time. I'm sure others will see it different but slightly doidgy for me although wouldn't mind shankland in the team of course.

Testimonial Due
    Simple Doidge. He plays for us and is contributing all round the pitch and scored 14 at the top level in Scotland.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsed.it View Post
    My Dunfermline supporting work colleague thinks they paid/are having to pay (not sure if I read somewhere that there’s a dispute with Raith over a transfer fee) a six figure transfer fee. If true I imagine they’d be wanting a fair whack of cash to let him go.
    I think your friend is wrong.

Raith might want a six figure fee...no chance they’re getting it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You’re going to have to explain to about every team he’s ever played against how to play a high line properly then.

Could be that most opponents he has faced just can’t do it. The quality of defending in scottish football is not that high.

I don’t think Shankland just plays off the shoulder but an obvious tactic for Dundee Utd is to get a winger or other pacy player alongside him who could exploit a high line effectively.

Anyhow, congrats overall to our much maligned defence who restricted Shankland to a few chances over the two games... unfortunately he took two of them very well.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Could be that most opponents he has faced just can’t do it. The quality of defending in scottish football is not that high.

I don’t think Shankland just plays off the shoulder but an obvious tactic for Dundee Utd is to get a winger or other pacy player alongside him who could exploit a high line effectively.

Anyhow, congrats overall to our much maligned defence who restricted Shankland to a few chances over the two games... unfortunately he took two of them very well.
    I agree with you re pace on the wings has been a big asset for Utd and Shankland this season. My reply was more to the notion that underscore had spotted a simple way of stopping Shankland that the rest of Scotland has apparently failed to see so far.

However much he was allegedly offside, and however high/well our defence played - Shankland still got 2 in 2 against us. You'd take that from your striker if he's been kept out of the game for most of it.

IMO you can play high, deep, inside-out or upside down and Shankland will cause problems. He's a far cleverer player than most of us give him credit for. And he certainly doesn't rely on his own pace.

Again though - it was the Artful Doidger who came away with the hat-trick and victory, which is all that really matters.

I don't know what to make of Shankland after the two games. Impressed that he scored twice or critical as he was otherwise completely anonymous. Or should I be impressed with that too? Difficult one.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I don't know what to make of Shankland after the two games. Impressed that he scored twice or critical as he was otherwise completely anonymous. Or should I be impressed with that too? Difficult one.
    I’d seen him a couple of times before and he was exactly the same - pretty much anonymous.

In spite of that he has scored in all 4 of the games I have seen him play so I have to admit I’m impressed.