hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    My first look at Shankland since he has been making the headlines...he is certainly a good player. Strong,
    Good in the air, took the ball well and decent
    Movement ..will Get a good move - perhaps he lacks the pace to play at the highest level ..but could see him scoring goals wherever he goes

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As the OP I have to say there was little between them today. Both took their goals well but were largely anonymous for most of the game. If Dodge had taken his chance at the end it may have swung it in his favour but keeper done well.

Onwards to the replay then to see if one of them can raise their game and win the tie or are they much of a muchness?

Left by mutual consent!
    Stick with the Vegan Nish.

I’ve grown to really rate/like Doidge and he’s a good focal point for our attack. He’s not a natural finisher though and I think a Shankland or a Cummings type poacher gets a shot away much quicker with that late chance.

Not a criticism of Doidge, he does bring more to the team than just goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve grown to really rate/like Doidge and he’s a good focal point for our attack. He’s not a natural finisher though and I think a Shankland or a Cummings type poacher gets a shot away much quicker with that late chance.

Not a criticism of Doidge, he does bring more to the team than just goals.
    They'd be good together.

As you say, different players.

Testimonial Due
    Both did little apart from Score. Thought Shankland a lightweight. Oh was that Doidge's first goal with the his foot that was not miss hit?

Doidge v Shankland

Although Shankland gets goals, he's heavy, lazy, pulls out of defensive duals, ducks out of heading long balls, slow with little acceleration, neither does he hold and link it well. His general play isn't good enough. The Championship isn't a good league quality wise this year which has helped him big time with his goals.
    Doidge is clever, he takes up good positions in general play and drags defenders into areas they don't want to be. His movement is good and his hold up and link up play is excellent and he usually wins most things in the air. Every game he at least creates himself 2 or 3 chances which is probably on a par with Shankland.
    Doidge is a better all round player in my mind and Shankland not worth the hype surrounding him.

One thing I'm certain of is if Shankland played for Hibs, this thread wouldn't exist.

And those talking him down here would be laughing/dismissing/being sarcy towards any poster who suggested we would be better off with Christian Doidge.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Both did little apart from Score. Thought Shankland a lightweight. Oh was that Doidge's first goal with the his foot that was not miss hit?
    I must say I did not think Shankland was lightweight if anything he has bulked up and had a good physical duel with Daz when he came on and has good upper body strength and shields the ball well

Took his goal well but apart from that offered little

Hibs to win the return leg......hopefully

IIRC was he not making good money as a Personal Trainer when he was in the lower leagues?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    One thing I'm certain of is if Shankland played for Hibs, this thread wouldn't exist.

And those talking him down here would be laughing/dismissing/being sarcy towards any poster who suggested we would be better off with Christian Doidge.

Shankland would score a barrowload in this HIBS side

I've got no doubts that Doidge would score as much, if not more than Shankland against Alloa and Partick

Quote Originally Posted by Spionen View Post
    Although Shankland gets goals, he's heavy, lazy, pulls out of defensive duals, ducks out of heading long balls, slow with little acceleration, neither does he hold and link it well. His general play isn't good enough. The Championship isn't a good league quality wise this year which has helped him big time with his goals.
    Doidge is clever, he takes up good positions in general play and drags defenders into areas they don't want to be. His movement is good and his hold up and link up play is excellent and he usually wins most things in the air. Every game he at least creates himself 2 or 3 chances which is probably on a par with Shankland.
    Doidge is a better all round player in my mind and Shankland not worth the hype surrounding him.
    He's scored 88 goals in 100 games , his general play is irrelevant . He didnt touch the ball in the 1st 47 minutes , 1st time he does and Rockys picking the ball out the net .

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    It it time to close this utterly pointless thread?

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    C'mon Christian, you got nothing better to do with your day off ?!
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    watch it again, it is a mi****.

Also, if you watch Kamberi's effort earlier, Doidge (two yards out) sticks out his foot and misses it!!! Any touch and its a goal.

I'm afraid I just don't see what Doidge (other than winning balls in the air, especially defensive headers) brings to the team. Shankland would have 20 plus goals in this Hibs team with the chances Doidge has missed.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    He's scored 88 goals in 100 games , his general play is irrelevant . He didnt touch the ball in the 1st 47 minutes , 1st time he does and Rockys picking the ball out the net .
    His general play isn’t irrelevant and it’s probably why he’s still playing in the Scottish Championship.

I say that as someone who wouldn’t mind seeing him at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    At a pudding level. At a real level his play would matter and he'd have to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post

Also, if you watch Kamberi's effort earlier, Doidge (two yards out) sticks out his foot and misses it!!! Any touch and its a goal.

I'm afraid I just don't see what Doidge (other than winning balls in the air, especially defensive headers) brings to the team. Shankland would have 20 plus goals in this Hibs team with the chances Doidge has missed.
    He brings 10 goals before the end of January. 10 more and we're laughing.

You actually think Shankland would have more goals at this point than guys like Stokes, Riordan, O'Connor, Killen and Fletcher got? I'll have what you're having

Who is the better signing: Doidge or Shankland?

His general play and running is always decent. Puts in a shift and has a knack of scoring goals.

Some Hibs fans are just not going to like Doidge, mind made up already. Even when he scores some just have to criticise him. Into double figures in January, I would say not bad for someone that has never played top league.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    His general play and running is always decent. Puts in a shift and has a knack of scoring goals.

Some Hibs fans are just not going to like Doidge, mind made up already. Even when he scores some just have to criticise him. Into double figures in January, I would say not bad for someone that has never played top league.
    I agree with you big man has done well his first season,good striker to watch and puts himself in the thick of it.
    More goals will come for him.
    We do need a wee ankle biter type though that gives no peace to defenders.

Thought Shankland a lightweight.
    Although Shankland gets goals, he's heavy...
    From two posts eight mins apart. Opinions eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post

I initially thought Doidge would do well for us. I thought he was one of the brighter players in the friendlies and league cup group games. Then, when the league started, he was murder.

I’m back to thinking he will do all right for us. Expect somewhere between 15 and 20 goals which won’t be a bad return for his first season. When you add in the other things he can bring to the team, that adds up to a decent season.

I don’t normally agree with comments about folk just not liking a player. I always think that, deep down, we all want Hibs players to do well. But there has even been criticism of him for the way some of his goals crossed the line!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I initially thought Doidge would do well for us. I thought he was one of the brighter players in the friendlies and league cup group games. Then, when the league started, he was murder.

I’m back to thinking he will do all right for us. Expect somewhere between 15 and 20 goals which won’t be a bad return for his first season. When you add in the other things he can bring to the team, that adds up to a decent season.

I don’t normally agree with comments about folk just not liking a player. I always think that, deep down, we all want Hibs players to do well. But there has even been criticism of him for the way some of his goals crossed the line!
    The last bit is the worst of the lot for me, fair enough be critical if he isn’t scoring but to rip him for the ball not going in cleanly when he scores is another level. I think some have decided he’s pish and that’s it. 10 goals at this stage is ok. If he keeps scoring and gets to 20 by the end of the season it’ll be a brilliant return. When did we last have a striker get 20 goals in a season? Cummings in the seaside league?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Some on here were very vocal about his ability (or lack off) in his early days. And some are just stubborn and wont budge. Its when there are complaints at 'how' he scores that you just know there is an agenda in place.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He brings 10 goals before the end of January. 10 more and we're laughing.

You actually think Shankland would have more goals at this point than guys like Stokes, Riordan, O'Connor, Killen and Fletcher got? I'll have what you're having
    Think you should read properly what I said. The key words being "in this Hibs team". I base what I said on the sitters Doidge has missed this season, a few of them from two yards out.

For the record, at no point did I say Shankland would have more goals than the players you introduced into a debate on Doidge v Shankland.

Perhaps you should stay off whatever your having.

Bit unfair to criticise Dodgie's strike. It may not have been 100% crisp'n'clean, and fortunate to sneak through legs, but it was well taken.
    However, I fully agree about his fresh air swipe. Shankland would have scored that.
    Also, would Shankland have scored Dodgie's goal if put in the same position by Boyle? I think almost certainly yes.
    Would Dodgie have scored Shankland's goal if put in the same position? I think almost certainly not. Would not have had the same balance and composure.
    That said, Dodgie has def improved and been worth his place in the team recently. Not something I would have said 2-3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Bit unfair to criticise Dodgie's strike. It may not have been 100% crisp'n'clean, and fortunate to sneak through legs, but it was well taken.
    However, I fully agree about his fresh air swipe. Shankland would have scored that.
    Also, would Shankland have scored Dodgie's goal if put in the same position by Boyle? I think almost certainly yes.
    Would Dodgie have scored Shankland's goal if put in the same position? I think almost certainly not. Would not have had the same balance and composure.
    That said, Dodgie has def improved and been worth his place in the team recently. Not something I would have said 2-3 months ago.
    Would shankland have won the headers Doidge won, and brought others into play like Doidge does? Absolutely not. Two completely different types of strikers. Doidge scoring 15-20 goals while doing the work he does in bringing others into play is perfect for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Decent post throughout 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Thought Doidge did pretty well yesterday and Shankland did well with the little service he had. The question for me is would Shankland have scored more than the single goal given Doidge's opportunities. I think he might. Doidge's miss/Keeper's save late on was a good example. Doidge was so slow taking his shot and allowed the Keeper to close the angle. I think Shankland scores that and possibly gets a touch on Kamberi's strike. We won't be buying Shankland as we have missed the boat and I hope Doidge keeps scoring and also performing as he did yesterday.

Think you should read properly what I said. The key words being "in this Hibs team". I base what I said on the sitters Doidge has missed this season, a few of them from two yards out.

For the record, at no point did I say Shankland would have more goals than the players you introduced into a debate on Doidge v Shankland.

Perhaps you should stay off whatever your having.
    Well those players never got 20 goals by January, that is what you said he'd have.

Every striker misses sitters. Same as every goalie makes mistakes. Very generic assessment of a player and ultimately quite useless. He's only missed one REAL sitter, vs St Mirren on the first day.