hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who is the better signing: Doidge or Shankland?

Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.

One on one on the keeper i would back Shankland judging by what i have seen.Overall leading the line probably our man.

Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

You never miss the chance to have a pop, eh?

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Dundee Utd were the only club to take a chance on him.

So, in hindsight it was probably an error - but embarrassing? I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Scoring goals for fun. Cheap compared to Doidge considering no transfer fee. Doidge has scored a few but I genuinely think his finishing looks terrible.

Different players though. They Could probably do well as a 2.

It is embarrassing then if we never even contacted him. The man was banging in goals for fun at a level a lot of our best players in recent years were also playing in and we should have went for him asap.

In regards to the OP's question there is zero doubt in my mind that Shankland is a better striker than Doidge. Doidge has hit a few goals recently but I'm still far from sold on him to justify why we spent a hefty fee on him.

@hibs.net private member
    Not seen enough of Shankland to know how much better he is than Doidge but for me Doidge has been a mistake. Still time for him to turn it round but watching a striker being outpaced by Berra is something I don't want to see from a Hibs player. He scored a few so not a disaster but I think the model of buying young players who perhaps had been out of favour of had some issues was a good move. Fyvie, Allen and Mallan have all been good signings and all had the potential of making us some money. Can't see us turning a profit on Doidge.

Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.
    By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

Yeh lets do that then. Sign unproven players, pay them an absolute fortune and then sell them for a massive profit.......why has no one thought of this. Get in touch with Hibs recruitment and let them know......

Neither do I - it was Dodds who said it.

For me, he was touted round and everyone said "how much? For a guy that has never scored in the top division? Beat it".

Whereas Dundee United rolled the dice (as it was their last chance) and good on them for taking the chance.

They will make back some of the enormous losses they have incurred in the seaside leagues.

In hindsight?
    He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
    It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

In hindsight?
    He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
    It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)

Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)
    How much is Doidge costing per week when you factor in the £350k fee?

In hindsight?

At the end of last season, would you have made Shankland Hibs top paid player?

At the end of last season, would you have made Shankland Hibs top paid player?
    I haven’t seen any evidence that Shankland would have been our best paid player just speculation on here. If Dundee Utd can afford him then we could have. At the end of last season I did say on here that we should sign him and I wasn’t the only one.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Now Rod’s away he needs another wee obsession.

[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6041446]Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Yes,but there were alleged "issues" surrounding him, it is rumoured
    Last edited by hhibs; 11-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Shankland is on £5k a week. Would you have had us pay that?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Only one of them has scored goals in the Scottish premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.
    Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
    Mark my words 💚💚💚

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Mark my words
    He is due a goal again that’s for sure Might just stick some money on Hibs win Doidge to score But not a Hat-rick Shankkand also to score

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    If Doidge maintains his current strike rate then he’s on course for c20 goals in League and Cup competitions this season. Decent return if he manages it. Not many Hibs strikers have done this over the past 40 years, I would guess?

Has Shankland even scored in the SPL yet?

Prolific at a lower level, probably a standard not dissimilar to Doidge at Forest Green or whatever? Remains to be seen whether he can step up a level.

Whilst the 5k a week rumour is probably as speculative as the Doidge 350k transfer fee ( which I find highly unlikely, maybe with all manner of conceivable add ons etc). A wage like that would put him beyond Hibs’ reach anyway.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Mark my words 💚💚💚
    No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.
    You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense
    An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Be a tough game for our lads.

An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Aye, Neilsons record when ''he will have his team right up for it'' is excellent in the past

Will be a tough game but we are the better side.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Of course they will be up for it and so they should be, but we should never be happy drawing with a team from a lower league and I'm sure that the management team wouldnt be either

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Aye, cause Championship teams never put SPL teams out the cup right enough

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Aye, cause Championship teams never put SPL teams out the cup right enough
    In fairness, I doubt there was much delight amongst any of those SPL teams that got a draw or put out.