hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who is the better signing: Doidge or Shankland?

Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

One on one on the keeper i would back Shankland judging by what i have seen.Overall leading the line probably our man.

Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

You never miss the chance to have a pop, eh?

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Dundee Utd were the only club to take a chance on him.

So, in hindsight it was probably an error - but embarrassing? I dont think so.

[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6041446]Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Yes,but there were alleged "issues" surrounding him, it is rumoured
    Last edited by hhibs; 11-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Scoring goals for fun. Cheap compared to Doidge considering no transfer fee. Doidge has scored a few but I genuinely think his finishing looks terrible.

Different players though. They Could probably do well as a 2.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Only one of them has scored goals in the Scottish premier League

It is embarrassing then if we never even contacted him. The man was banging in goals for fun at a level a lot of our best players in recent years were also playing in and we should have went for him asap.

In regards to the OP's question there is zero doubt in my mind that Shankland is a better striker than Doidge. Doidge has hit a few goals recently but I'm still far from sold on him to justify why we spent a hefty fee on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.
    Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
    Mark my words 💚💚💚

Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.

In hindsight?
    He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
    It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.
    By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Neither do I - it was Dodds who said it.

For me, he was touted round and everyone said "how much? For a guy that has never scored in the top division? Beat it".

Whereas Dundee United rolled the dice (as it was their last chance) and good on them for taking the chance.

They will make back some of the enormous losses they have incurred in the seaside leagues.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Now Rod’s away he needs another wee obsession.

By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

Yeh lets do that then. Sign unproven players, pay them an absolute fortune and then sell them for a massive profit.......why has no one thought of this. Get in touch with Hibs recruitment and let them know......

It’s clear that Shankland is an excellent striker and IMO a fair bit better than Doidge but it’s not just Hibs who didn’t bother making a move for him.

In hindsight?
    He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
    It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)

Left by mutual consent!
    Doidge will prove to be the better signing given time. I’ve no doubt about this lad. He is a player that will do well for us.

Should we be interested in Stephen Dobbie again? Scored loads of goals in the championship too

Shankland by a million miles.

Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)
    How much is Doidge costing per week when you factor in the £350k fee?

What a weird ****ing thread. Let’s have a pop at our own striker when we’ve not even played a game this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    What a weird ****ing thread. Let’s have a pop at our own striker when we’ve not even played a game this week.
    It’s not so much Doidge as the recruitment process at Hibs. I actually think Doidge has done ok. I also think we should have signed Shankland and was amazed that Dundee Utd got him.

How much is Doidge costing per week when you factor in the £350k fee?

Doidge had agreed a million pound transfer to Bolton 6 moths before we signed him......if we are playing hypothetical games.......

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Should we be interested in Stephen Dobbie again? Scored loads of goals in the championship too
    Silly comparison. Shankland has sell on potential. Big factor for us, look at the McGinn deal

Billy Mackay was only a few behind Shankland last season too - we should have given him £5k a week too - embarrassing that we didnt sign him as well

Billy Mackay was only a few behind Shankland last season too - we should have given him £5k a week too - embarrassing that we didnt sign him as well
    I can’t remember any threads on Billy Mackay on here during the summer? Nobody thought he was worth going for but plenty thought Shankland was. Maybe you could list loads of other championship player that nobody was interested in to not make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Silly comparison. Shankland has sell on potential. Big factor for us, look at the McGinn deal
    So all your interested in is how much we could sell him for? The guy Nisbet at Fund is only a few goals behind Shankland but I don't see everyone pissing their pants cos we never signed him. And Dobbie is not a silly comparison, we are talking about championship strikers who have scored goals in that league

Watched shankland a few times when hibs played who ever he was playing with in the championship never once impressed me, never done it at a higher level bit like Cummings

So all your interested in is how much we could sell him for? The guy Nisbet at Fund is only a few goals behind Shankland but I don't see everyone pissing their pants cos we never signed him. And Dobbie is not a silly comparison, we are talking about championship strikers who have scored goals in that league
    I said on another thread earlier that we should be looking at Nisbet on his form this season. Shankland was available for free in the summer.

Hibs will always be interested in a players sell on potential, it should be a big part of any player we sign imo.