hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    3-2 utd

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm keeping my prediction secret until the official competition thread arrives. 😎
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Dundee United were held to a draw by Hearts at the start of the season. I suspect they've improved since then so this is a tricky tie. Their 17 point lead at the top of the "championship" means that they can afford to have a good cup run without it damaging their promotion prospects.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All depends on whether we can match their application and work rate, something we failed to do at Livingston.
    Both teams were absolutely honking at Livi! on a rotten pitch and blowing a gale,so I wouldn't read to much into that game

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    2-2
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    2-2
    Now know as a money-spinner.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Apart from the Hearts game, our away form hasn’t been great
    I’ll take a draw, and beat them comfortably at ER

@hibs.net private member
    Had a quick look but can’t find any odds on the game, anyone know how the bookies have priced this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Now know as a money-spinner.
    Maybe it’s our year.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Arab supporting mate seems to think they will be concentrating on the leauge so won't be putting a strong team out. 3 1 hibs.
    Really? They will be well up for this game and will concentrate on winning.

I see Nicky Clark is out. Similar to Shankland prolific in the lower divisions

Pessimism? More nervous realism I think. Playing away after a break against a team riding high with a winning mentality and with a striker on a hot streak, I'd def take a draw, esp given some of our recent 5H1te performances, and I include in that the second half at Tiny.
    Jambo pal said of the season we won the championship that we were the third best team in Scotland at the time. It would be stretching it to say that of Utd despite their huge lead, but for sure they'd be holding their own in the Prem. If we were away to the likes of Saints, Livvie, Killie who were boosted by being on a run of 11/12 we'd def be very wary of forecasting the sort of comfortable win some are suggesting.
    Any sort of draw will be a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Pessimism? More nervous realism I think. Playing away after a break against a team riding high with a winning mentality and with a striker on a hot streak, I'd def take a draw, esp given some of our recent 5H1te performances, and I include in that the second half at Tiny.
    Jambo pal said of the season we won the championship that we were the third best team in Scotland at the time. It would be stretching it to say that of Utd despite their huge lead, but for sure they'd be holding their own in the Prem. If we were away to the likes of Saints, Livvie, Killie who were boosted by being on a run of 11/12 we'd def be very wary of forecasting the sort of comfortable win some are suggesting.
    A draw would be a far better result for them than us. I hope Jack Ross is drilling it in to the players that we are the bigger club and better side from a better league. A draw or defeat should be unacceptable tbh. The 3000 that are turning up don't expect us to go out to a lower division side.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    We played in Europe, put Hearts out the Scottish Cup after a replay, then lost to a very decent Aberdeen side in the semi. McGeough scored iirc, must have had a nosebleed

On the flip side we lost to someone like QoS in the league cup.....

We also had the league won comfortably.

While this is probably the "lower league side" nobody really wanted and everyone will be talking them up, relating it to that season, Hibs were (IMO) a significantly better side 16/17 than Utd are today, simply based on being fairly regularly tested against higher division teams over that period.

p.s. A win at Tynie is always a great win - we dug and dug and dug in while Hearts threw everything they had at us. It wasnt *****.

@hibs.net private member
    When the draw was made, I was confident we'd get through quite comfortably. We had started picking up results and I thought they'd be throwing everything at the league and not the cup.

Now, they've got the league wrapped up and we've went back to struggling a little bit. Don't think Livi and Ross County are good teams and they beat us so it won't be straightforward. Looks like a draw to me now.

2-2 draw. Then 3-1 Hibs in the replay.

The United fans at work are extremely confident. I think they might get a wee reality check though. It'll either be a week on the sick or extreme gloating next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    When the draw was made, I was confident we'd get through quite comfortably. We had started picking up results and I thought they'd be throwing everything at the league and not the cup.

Now, they've got the league wrapped up and we've went back to struggling a little bit. Don't think Livi and Ross County are good teams and they beat us so it won't be straightforward. Looks like a draw to me now.

2-2 draw. Then 3-1 Hibs in the replay.
    Exactly. We've been beat off worse teams than United quite recently, and going to Tannadice won't be easy. The league they are playing in is irrelevant on the day.

I'd quite happily take your prediction above... (as we all should given it means progressing). Hopefully we get the job done on Sunday though.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonsboots View Post
    Both teams were absolutely honking at Livi! on a rotten pitch and blowing a gale,so I wouldn't read to much into that game
    Conditions quite likely to be similar at the weekend?

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Hibs can be so indifferent....its a toughie. I'll go for 1-1 and hibs thru on a replay. (having said that probably Utd 3-0 !)
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Similar performance to Tynecastle required. They’ll be looking to take the game to us early on, which would leave us with a bit space. Hit them early, kill the game, win the tie.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Unless we bolster our midfield, I’d say that a Utd victory is on the cards. They get a lot of crosses into the box and out diamond midfield will give them time and space to ping them into Shankland.

If we don’t play a diamond then we have every chance of getting a result. I think we’ll go 4-5-1 and could win 0-1 or 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The United fans
    As in more than one!! Wow that's rare!

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    We played in Europe, put Hearts out the Scottish Cup after a replay, then lost to a very decent Aberdeen side in the semi. McGeough scored iirc, must have had a nosebleed

On the flip side we lost to someone like QoS in the league cup.....

We also had the league won comfortably.

While this is probably the "lower league side" nobody really wanted and everyone will be talking them up, relating it to that season, Hibs were (IMO) a significantly better side 16/17 than Utd are today, simply based on being fairly regularly tested against higher division teams over that period.

p.s. A win at Tynie is always a great win - we dug and dug and dug in while Hearts threw everything they had at us. It wasnt *****.
    I wasn't saying it wasn't a great win/result at Tiny. It was. What was 5h1te was our 2nd half performance, unless you want to give lavish praise to a backs-to-the-wall performance against a team as bad as them. Play in such an unproductive manner against Utd like we did in that 2nd half against them, or as we did against Livvie (ie our last 135 minutes of properly competitive football), and given that Shankland is in such form, I won't be betting on a Hibs win, never mind proclaiming that we are going to win easy. I'll be c0ck-a-hoop if we do and delighted to have my pessimism rammed down my throat should it prove to be wildly wrong.

Think the Spain trip will have had a good effect so take Hibs to win narrowly in a very fast and close game. One goal in it

2 - 0 dufc

Cup tie at home for United, Premier league team visiting, big noisy crowd, they are doing well, confidence is high, they are scoring a decent amount of goals against poor defences, and we have a poor defence, so we'll probably go out and win ... I'll be very surprised if we do though

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Cup tie at home for United, Premier league team visiting, big noisy crowd, they are doing well, confidence is high, they are scoring a decent amount of goals against poor defences, and we have a poor defence, so we'll probably go out and win ... I'll be very surprised if we do though
    I've heard they're struggling to sell their tickets

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Dundee United 2 v 0 Hibernian

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I've heard they're struggling to sell their tickets
    I thought we would be bringing the crowd to be honest ... it's on the television apparently, so you may have a point

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    We'll just edge a cracker 3-2 Hibs.