hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

TV and Broadband deals

Does anyone know of any good TV and BB deals? My current contract with BT is coming to an end on 2nd March so I've started looking at Sky and Virgin (available in my area).

Anyone work for any companies wit special offers? Any help appreciated!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know of any good TV and BB deals? My current contract with BT is coming to an end on 2nd March so I've started looking at Sky and Virgin (available in my area).

Anyone work for any companies wit special offers? Any help appreciated!
    Last 2 years I've quit Virgin and then they've made me a much better offer and I've stayed. I'm on 200Mbps and full house tv (incl bt sport). It should be about £85 a month but I've had it for £29 and £55 respectively the last 2 years. I'm just about to quit again. If I don't get a decent offer this year I'm off to Vodafone gigafast. Their 500Mbps service is £38 a month but no tv. Danderhall might not be cabled up for this yet though?

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Now Broadband (run by Sky) have been doing some decent deals lately if you are just wanting standard "fibre" - looks like they are currently doing £25 a month for unlimited fibre broadband with anytime calls, which is the deal I got last year. Found the speed to be way better than plusnet (who I was with before), but the router was a bit **** (only 2 x ethernet ports).

As for telly, no idea. Haven't paid for TV for a long time.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Last 2 years I've quit Virgin and then they've made me a much better offer and I've stayed. I'm on 200Mbps and full house tv (incl bt sport). It should be about £85 a month but I've had it for £29 and £55 respectively the last 2 years. I'm just about to quit again. If I don't get a decent offer this year I'm off to Vodafone gigafast. Their 500Mbps service is £38 a month but no tv. Danderhall might not be cabled up for this yet though?
    To get the better offer from Virgin did you actually have to go as far as to quit, or just threaten to quit?

@hibs.net private member
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert....d-and-tv-deals

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tv/

On finding a deal, sign up via a cash back site, eg quidco
    Last edited by KdyHby; 08-01-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    To get the better offer from Virgin did you actually have to go as far as to quit, or just threaten to quit?
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Actually quit. Both times they made an offer when I phoned to quit, I went ahead and quit, and then they called back about a week later with a much better offer.

Obviously you have to be happy to go somewhere else if they don't call back!

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers - I'll have a look.

PS I'm not in Danderhall anymore - haven't been since 2005 (just never bothered to change my username).

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Re Virgin, I call up each year at the end of a 12 month contract, if the initial offer isn't acceptable I asked to be put through to cancellations (retentions). From there I appraise their offer, if I feel it can be bettered, I ask to cancel.
    More often than not, they'll call before the end of the notice period with a better offer.
    If you don't get a better offer, you can call up and cancel your cancellation, neither party is under any obligation to cancel, but, I treat it like a game of poker, don't show your hand and don't blink first!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Re Virgin, I call up each year at the end of a 12 month contract, if the initial offer isn't acceptable I asked to be put through to cancellations (retentions). From there I appraise their offer, if I feel it can be bettered, I ask to cancel.
    More often than not, they'll call before the end of the notice period with a better offer.
    If you don't get a better offer, you can call up and cancel your cancellation, neither party is under any obligation to cancel, but, I treat it like a game of poker, don't show your hand and don't blink first!
    I cancelled Sky years ago and was inundated with emails/calls asking if I'd change my mind. I'll try that with BT but was wondering what's out there to compare the inevitable "great deal" BT offer me against.

Bag a great deal by ridding yourself of that generic repetitive mind-numbing pish known as TV and go broadband only

Seriously give it a try for a month or two. Broadband and freeview generally has you covered, well it does for me at least. You may find you don't need the full package for tele. And if you miss it then just sign up again to a provider - nothing ventured etc

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Bag a great deal by ridding yourself of that generic repetitive mind-numbing pish known as TV and go broadband only

Seriously give it a try for a month or two. Broadband and freeview generally has you covered, well it does for me at least. You may find you don't need the full package for tele. And if you miss it then just sign up again to a provider - nothing ventured etc
    I’m about to go broadband only what you think is the best deal? I tend to go for virgin media as it’s the only provider I’ve had no issues with in the past (just finishing with sky and thought it was awful) however I’ve noticed that Virgin Media is still pushing the house phone in cheaper deals, £15 of a difference between a broadband + phone to a broadband only

Update: phoned to cancel Virgin last week as my bill was supposed to go to it’s full price of £85 pm. They offered me 6 months at £60, I declined, put through to retentions who offered 12 months at £64, declined. They called me back today offering 12 months at £54 so I took that.

@hibs.net private member
    I ended up going to Sky. Super fast broadband, Sky entertainment with ultimate on demand and Netflix. Sky q 1tb box included for £40 a month.

No sport at all but considering getting one of those dodgy firesticks to cover that.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    I’m about to go broadband only what you think is the best deal? I tend to go for virgin media as it’s the only provider I’ve had no issues with in the past (just finishing with sky and thought it was awful) however I’ve noticed that Virgin Media is still pushing the house phone in cheaper deals, £15 of a difference between a broadband + phone to a broadband only
    Just about to go broadband only as well. With Netflix and Freeview what else do you really need? A dodgy box helps but that aside, TV is just a bloody rip off.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."