hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Headphones

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    15,481

    Headphones

    There was a thread on here about headphones a while ago that I took a real interest in as it’s something that interests me. I love listening to music and believe it can only be listened to loud. I have neighbours on both sides so I can’t play music loud so headphones are my best option. I scrolled down this forum and couldn’t find the thread I was looking for but did find an alarming amount of pish threads that I’ve started.
    Anyway the point of this is that someone recommended Sennheiser headphones and I remembered that. I’m listening to music on them now and I thank whoever recommended them, they weren’t cheap, but the sound is remarkable.

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    The wife wanted to visit the David bowie exhibition a few years ago at the v&a in loondon. I remember it being more expensive than I thought to get in but it was sponsored by sennheiser and the tour narrative and sound was through their headphones. I remember how impressed I was at the time but when I looked into buying a pair they were hugely expensive. Incredibly good sound though.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,916
    I used to use Bose when drumming and they were incredible, almost too good.

    I really appreciate stuff that does a fairly simple job really really well, expensive headphones are one such item.

  5. #4
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,387
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to use Bose when drumming and they were incredible, almost too good.

    I really appreciate stuff that does a fairly simple job really really well, expensive headphones are one such item.
    I concur with the cost.

    Initially the thought of spending I think around £300 on earphones made me want to spew but after speaking to a few folk the cost easily offsets the enjoyment. They are used every working day for commuting and when flying they are a god send! I'm an anxious flyer so being able to shut out all the noise around me has improved my flying experience immensely, also means I get peace and quiet from the mrs for the duration

    Just to touch on the flying thing it does my nut that different airlines have different rules e.g. Jet2 make you remove them unti the seatbelt signs are off and Ryanair you can wear them throughout - does my thrupennies in
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24,215
    Urban ears are getting brilliant reviews in product tests, so we bought the boy the Plattan 2 Bluetooth for his Christmas, £70ish. I think they'll start getting expensive when more folk suss out how good they are.

    Especially when they do get lost and stolen from school and elsewhere, (my daughter has just lost her airpods £170, nice)finding a decent make that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts is a good idea. I've had an entry level pair of Sennhausers in the past and they were very good.

  7. #6
    Sennheisers aren't stupid ridiculous expensive if you don't need the bells and whistles of noise cancelling etc. I've got these ones, currently going fot £70 (think I paid £80). Not flash but very solid headphones.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,022
    The Bose QC35IIs have now been usurped by a new version which has had mixed reviews to date - the good news is that the QC35IIs have gone down in price as a consequence and can generally be picked up for about £200 - see www.hotukdeals.com . I've found them to be excellent and the noise cancellation absolutely brilliant - I can sit on flights in pretty much silence. It's so good that even if I don't want to listen to music and just get some sleep I'll often keep the headphones on with noise cancellation switched on!

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Airth
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I concur with the cost.

    Initially the thought of spending I think around £300 on earphones made me want to spew but after speaking to a few folk the cost easily offsets the enjoyment. They are used every working day for commuting and when flying they are a god send! I'm an anxious flyer so being able to shut out all the noise around me has improved my flying experience immensely, also means I get peace and quiet from the mrs for the duration

    Just to touch on the flying thing it does my nut that different airlines have different rules e.g. Jet2 make you remove them unti the seatbelt signs are off and Ryanair you can wear them throughout - does my thrupennies in
    My wife got me some Sony Bluetooth headphones for work/gym and they’re perfect. Less than £100 too, I can’t see what spending another £200 on “better ones” would bring to the experience.

  10. #9
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,387
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife got me some Sony Bluetooth headphones for work/gym and they’re perfect. Less than £100 too, I can’t see what spending another £200 on “better ones” would bring to the experience.
    For me it was the noise cancelling experience and higher quality audio that adds to the whole package. Different ear phones for different situations, I have a pair of Bose ear buds for the gym that are fantastic and only around the £70 mark, had them for years now with no issues.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife got me some Sony Bluetooth headphones for work/gym and they’re perfect. Less than £100 too, I can’t see what spending another £200 on “better ones” would bring to the experience.
    I used to think similarly, but I was very wrong.

    The sound quality, the highs and lows, plus the noise cancelling is extraordinary in my Sony WH-1000XM3.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bose QC35IIs have now been usurped by a new version which has had mixed reviews to date - the good news is that the QC35IIs have gone down in price as a consequence and can generally be picked up for about £200 - see www.hotukdeals.com . I've found them to be excellent and the noise cancellation absolutely brilliant - I can sit on flights in pretty much silence. It's so good that even if I don't want to listen to music and just get some sleep I'll often keep the headphones on with noise cancellation switched on!
    I have these also really are superb.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife got me some Sony Bluetooth headphones for work/gym and they’re perfect. Less than £100 too, I can’t see what spending another £200 on “better ones” would bring to the experience.
    Once you get noise cancellation, you have to spend a lot to get ones that can keep up with any kind of dynamically varying noise. If there's no need for noise cancellation in your environment then I agree.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,563
    I know this thread is about headphones, but you all seem so knowledgeable I thought I'd try to expand the scope a little. I travel a lot and I don't want to carry headphones, but the wired in ear buds that came with my iPhone are just not loud enough. I can't hear the music properly, and they're obviously not noise cancelling so no use on planes and trains.

    Does anyone have any favourite in ear buds, preferably Bluetooth but not essential? Willing to look at in ear buds, clip on buds and buds attached to a round-the-neck collar thing.

    All suggestions gratefully considered.

  15. #14
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    38,793
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this thread is about headphones, but you all seem so knowledgeable I thought I'd try to expand the scope a little. I travel a lot and I don't want to carry headphones, but the wired in ear buds that came with my iPhone are just not loud enough. I can't hear the music properly, and they're obviously not noise cancelling so no use on planes and trains.

    Does anyone have any favourite in ear buds, preferably Bluetooth but not essential? Willing to look at in ear buds, clip on buds and buds attached to a round-the-neck collar thing.

    All suggestions gratefully considered.
    I got these for Christmas which are pretty good.

    https://m.miniinthebox.com/p/litbest...BoCbHAQAvD_BwE
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,036
    Sennheiser are very good value, I have a very old collapsed pair I use all the time on long journeys. When I commute I use Sennheiser in ears. All with wires. Looking at wifi but will stick with sennheiser. Recommended (still use my overhears, so comfortable) need to replace the cushion bits.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got these for Christmas which are pretty good.

    https://m.miniinthebox.com/p/litbest...BoCbHAQAvD_BwE
    Do they last 5 hours between charges? I’ve got wireless earphones just now but they only last about 2 and half hours, not the best if you’re out all day.

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,179
    The OP deserves credit for getting headphones partly out of consideration for neighbours.
    Would that more people felt like that!

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The OP deserves credit for getting headphones partly out of consideration for neighbours.
    Would that more people felt like that!
    Word!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  20. #19
    Invested in a set of the original Bose QuietComfort 35's a few years back as I was doing a load of long-haul flights with work around then, have to say they've been a great investment. Well worth the money. Sometimes just have them switched on during flights just to cancel out the engine noise.

    For running, the Bose SoundSports are also really good and most importantly they last. Every other pair of Bluetooth sports headphones i'd had previously have packed in after 3-6 months of wear and tear. They seemingly also have noise cancelling but it's not as noticeable as the QC35's.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Invested in a set of the original Bose QuietComfort 35's a few years back as I was doing a load of long-haul flights with work around then, have to say they've been a great investment. Well worth the money. Sometimes just have them switched on during flights just to cancel out the engine noise.

    For running, the Bose SoundSports are also really good and most importantly they last. Every other pair of Bluetooth sports headphones i'd had previously have packed in after 3-6 months of wear and tear. They seemingly also have noise cancelling but it's not as noticeable as the QC35's.
    I always hope my wife has a book or something to occupy her on flights so I can use my headphones, as you say, just to cancel the aircraft noise. You don't realise how noisy aeroplanes are until you take your headphones off.

    Re the Bise Soundsports. Are they the cordless ones which come in a charging pod? I sent 2 pairs of them back because they discharge so quickly when not in use. I eventually swapped them for the overeat Sonys.

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always hope my wife has a book or something to occupy her on flights so I can use my headphones, as you say, just to cancel the aircraft noise. You don't realise how noisy aeroplanes are until you take your headphones off.

    Re the Bise Soundsports. Are they the cordless ones which come in a charging pod? I sent 2 pairs of them back because they discharge so quickly when not in use. I eventually swapped them for the overeat Sonys.
    No mate, I know the ones you mean but I have the older "first generation" ones, Bluetooth but a cord between the left and right buds. They charge off any micro USB cable. I'd say you get roughly 6-8 hours off a full charge. Still going strong for approaching 3 years but when they do wear out I may opt for a set of wireless ones as the cable flapping on your neck when you're running can be pretty annoying!

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No mate, I know the ones you mean but I have the older "first generation" ones, Bluetooth but a cord between the left and right buds. They charge off any micro USB cable. I'd say you get roughly 6-8 hours off a full charge. Still going strong for approaching 3 years but when they do wear out I may opt for a set of wireless ones as the cable flapping on your neck when you're running can be pretty annoying!
    Check them out first then.

    You're probably aware already, but modern batteries can only cycle from fully discharged so many times so if they're emptying in a couple of days non-use, I'd reject them.

    John Lewis are great for returning faulty kit if it's within warranty and they do a price match, although you have to buy from them first.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bose QC35IIs have now been usurped by a new version which has had mixed reviews to date - the good news is that the QC35IIs have gone down in price as a consequence and can generally be picked up for about £200 - see www.hotukdeals.com . I've found them to be excellent and the noise cancellation absolutely brilliant - I can sit on flights in pretty much silence. It's so good that even if I don't want to listen to music and just get some sleep I'll often keep the headphones on with noise cancellation switched on!
    Right on cue: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bos...ection-3385416

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The WH1000xm3s shaded it for me, but I nearly bought the Bose 35s so I agree they're a great bit of kit.

    Both are available around the £200 mark now. I paid s lot more.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  26. #25
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24,215
    The boy has 'lost' his UrbanEars his first day back at school . This is what you're dealing with.

    It's <£30 for him from now on.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The boy has 'lost' his UrbanEars his first day back at school . This is what you're dealing with.

    It's <£30 for him from now on.
    lolz - my younger son (now at uni) goes through headphones and charging cables like they're disposable. The challenge is keeping mine hidden!

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks! But I'm not sure about the accuracy of this description - "reasonable priced headphones"!

    Maybe I'm just living in the past.

    Last edited by grunt; 10-01-2020 at 11:36 AM.

  29. #28
    I already listen to my music "too loudly" when have headphones in. Is there actually a genuine significant risk of damaging your hearing through having max volume with iphones etc? Or is it just if your ear-drum goes pop

    As mentioned above, apple products and normal ([email protected]) headphones you get with them are of little use on planes, I assume it's only the noise cancellation which helps this and not yet more volume!

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    15,643
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this thread is about headphones, but you all seem so knowledgeable I thought I'd try to expand the scope a little. I travel a lot and I don't want to carry headphones, but the wired in ear buds that came with my iPhone are just not loud enough. I can't hear the music properly, and they're obviously not noise cancelling so no use on planes and trains.

    Does anyone have any favourite in ear buds, preferably Bluetooth but not essential? Willing to look at in ear buds, clip on buds and buds attached to a round-the-neck collar thing.

    All suggestions gratefully considered.
    Again Sennheiser., I have used their sport ones, with the rubber over ear hooks and inline volume control. Totally block out external noise on the bus and nobody can hear any sound escaping from my lugs.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TO MUCH TO ASK.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    63
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again Sennheiser., I have used their sport ones, with the rubber over ear hooks and inline volume control. Totally block out external noise on the bus and nobody can hear any sound escaping from my lugs.
    Slight thread hi-jack does anyone know where I can get a pair of headphones repaired/rewired? I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200 folding headphones and have lost the sound out of the left hand speaker. Not an expensive pair but I like them. The cable shroud/surround?? has several splits in it so I guess I've got a broken wire somewhere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)