Thread: Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just saw his interview on BBC site, you can see he’s hurting
    Shame.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Apparently on 6 grand a week as well. Brilliant if they have to pay up 18 months of that.

Oh and he’s brutal now so no thanks
    They must be strapped for cash. Wouldn't surprise me if Naismith is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Gordon Smith got a free transfer as a goodwill gesture by the club who, as you say, thought his top flight career was at an end. That free transfer arrived several years after he was given a lucrative testimonial. He was amongst the highest paid players in Britain at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Stanley Matthews fell out with the FA because they wouldn't pay for a bun he bought on a railway journey.

He said, only the FA would treat footballers that way. The FA said, "only a footballer would think to claim for it.'

I've always thought Willie Bauld was a bit petty about that situation. I went to school with his nephew, and when he told me that story, I remember thinking "he mustn't have made much money at the gate if he was worried about the price of the ball."

Hearts could have been a bit more fly and included the ball in "expenses", but maybe Willie was a tight wad, and wanted the breakdown.

The other thing is, why was he the only person to fall out with the club over it?
    Sorry to be a bore about nothing to do with Berra.It was readily accepted by Hibs fans at the time that Hibs did not give Smith a free as a goodwill gesture but because they did not want to pay him when he was going to need an operation to continue his career.He was renowned for having a high level of general fitness so there was little doubt that when his ankle was repaired he would continue to play.

Re Willie Bauld .Clearly He was the only person to fall out with the club over costs as he wanted to raise as much money from the gate as possible.There was no other money raised.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Brutal way to treat someone who's done a lot for their club. He's struggled since injury but you'd think they could go about moving him on in a better way. Training with the kids and punted a couple days after his wedding, clearly stendel is trying to make a power move. Berra is a popular lad in the dressing room though so it won't be good for morale.

Hopefully it ends up being straight from the Terry Butcher playbook.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Sorry to be a bore about nothing to do with Berra.It was readily accepted by Hibs fans at the time that Hibs did not give Smith a free as a goodwill gesture but because they did not want to pay him when he was going to need an operation to continue his career.He was renowned for having a high level of general fitness so there was little doubt that when his ankle was repaired he would continue to play.

Re Willie Bauld .Clearly He was the only person to fall out with the club over costs as he wanted to raise as much money from the gate as possible.There was no other money raised.
    Re: Gordon Smith. It’s well documented that Hibs declined to fund the surgery he needed to carry on playing. A poor end to the legends time at Hibs, and poor judgement as he went on to win 2 Leagues and a League Cup winners medal.

I heard Berra on the radio. I felt a bit sorry for him. He showed a bit of dignity, but it’s clear that he’s hurting. Hopefully he finds a club, plays well and gives them a big GIRFUY as the Hearts get relegated. Win-win situation.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 07-01-2020 at 05:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Felt sorry for Big Berra just got married tae

Hearts class!

Obviously freeing up wages to bring in Stendels boys

Rumour has it on Berra’s wedding cake it had a wee budge & Daniel

First Team Breakthrough
    HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I feel for the guy, looks like it could have been handled much better and more respect shown to the club captain. Piss poor from the manager.
    Looks like stendel is binning all the players with a big influence and showing whose boss. Not great for team spirit at all. Naismith may be next but he has shown he can dig his heels in before. He better have a few decent signings lined up or the dressing room will be lost. Eerily similar to hecky. Same mentality and I suspect it will end the same way. Hertz fans have no option but to back stendel. Results, as with any manager,will decide his fate. He could be further behind the two above with the next four or five fixtures meaning hauling back an 8 or 9 point gap with only13 games to go. Squeaky bum time me thinks. Marvelous.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post

It’s not documented that way anywhere I’ve read it, but I wasn’t part of it all at the time if I’m honest so I’ll take your word over the written one.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeelin View Post
    HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm

qaStaH nuq jay'

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Up until a season and a half ago he was as good as there is in the scottish leagues at defending his own penalty area. He was however always shocking with the ball at his feet and could be isolated one on one outside the box. The injuries, age, lack of confidence and a defensive system that totally exposed his frailties did for him this season.

For what it's worth he has been treated appallingly by Hearts..club and supporters..in the last couple of weeks imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm
    Is that our new Chinese striker?

No one (not even the WUM OP) will take Berra on the radge wages he's on. 18 months left on his contract as well 🤭
    Naismith has 3½ years left on his I believe?

It's all very well deciding players are no longer required - to "free up the budget" - but it's not just as easy as that is it.

Surely even a business genius like Mr Mrs Doctor Professor Budge or whatever they call her can work that out?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Dr Doolittle?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    No one (not even the WUM OP) will take Berra on the radge wages he's on. 18 months left on his contract as well 🤭
    Naismith has 3½ years left on his I believe?

It's all very well deciding players are no longer required - to "free up the budget" - but it's not just as easy as that is it.

Surely even a business genius like Mr Mrs Doctor Professor Budge or whatever they call her can work that out?
    I actually don’t think Budge will have had anything to do with this. I think Spendall will have said he needs new players and was told he had to move players on before he could bring any in. He’s probably said fine but we’re going to have to force the big earners out and this is the only way to do it. I think she will be cringing with the way they’ve treated him and fearful at the repercussions it could have on the dressing room. He could be a hero or massive short term disaster for them. I would be gutted if Hibs treated a current captain and great servant like that. It will be harder to get Naismith off their books but he must be next in the firing line.

Disgusting how hearts have treated him, absolute no class whatsoever, could achieve the same outcome by conducting themselves a lot more professional.

What Jambos seem to be missing though, he still has 18 months on a fairly lucrative contract, he won’t just walk away from that so unless Hearts pay that off, he sits tight and collects his wages for the next 18 months.

He’s got a coaching school set up and been sensible with his cash over the years so probably doesn’t need the cash but no way he’s walking a away from the 18 Month contract he currently has.

You can see on the reply of Boyle's 2nd from behind the goals that Berra gives up after a couple of paces and resorts to screaming in an attempt to put Boyle off just as he pulls the trigger. I think the last time I saw that tactic was down the park in Sunday league. It's barely amateur level behaviour and I knew right then he was finished

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Disgusting how hearts have treated him, absolute no class whatsoever, could achieve the same outcome by conducting themselves a lot more professional.

What Jambos seem to be missing though, he still has 18 months on a fairly lucrative contract, he won’t just walk away from that so unless Hearts pay that off, he sits tight and collects his wages for the next 18 months.

He’s got a coaching school set up and been sensible with his cash over the years so probably doesn’t need the cash but no way he’s walking a away from the 18 Month contract he currently has.
    He won’t sit it out, will be on the move one way or another very soon.
    Maybe would have held his wedding at Tynie instead of the Balmoral if he had known this was coming 😉

Whilst I won't lose any sleep over it, it seems quite a shan way to treat a good servant to their club.

Maybe would have held his wedding at Tynie instead of the Balmoral if he had known this was coming 😉
    He may end up facing Hibs with Dundee Utd in January !!

He may sit tight on those 18 months as won’t sign for another Prem
    Team who are in competition with Hearts to get relegated.

Dundee Utd or Inverness (Robbo) would be my guess. Inverness v Hearts in playoff semi he would probably score an OG for ICT.

His coaching school and future relations with Hearts is interesting - wouldn’t put it against him to be future manager of the club either. So don’t think it’s the last we will see of him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    Up until a season and a half ago he was as good as there is in the scottish leagues at defending his own penalty area. He was however always shocking with the ball at his feet and could be isolated one on one outside the box. The injuries, age, lack of confidence and a defensive system that totally exposed his frailties did for him this season.

For what it's worth he has been treated appallingly by Hearts..club and supporters..in the last couple of weeks imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    That's a really good summary. Of course, playing on Tiny Tynie also helped him be less exposed & he was always a danger in the oppo's box. I think Strudel has correctly identified him as a liability but the lack of class in dealing with this situation is very poor indeed.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    I'd take him.
    To the cleaners?

Was playing well until his bad injury sustained in a match against Celtic 18 months ago. Apparently very poor since returning, looks like injury combined with age have done him in.
    He will be 35 before the end of the month but remarkably still has 18 months contract left at circa £6k a week. Given the extent of his demise there will be no takers. Best Hearts can hope for is someone picking up a quarter of his wage on loan.

Think they might have been lucky with Whelan (another 35 year old) because he wants to play at the Euro's if his team make it through the play off's and to do that he needs to be playing. So he may have walked with a small sweetener knowing he needs game time and can get a contract elsewhere.

Stendal obviously has no such spell over Berra as he tries desperately to get rid of the big ticket items to provide cash for new player expenses but Levein has painted them into a very painful and expensive corner.

The arsenic Levein Legacy in the form of the 4 year contracts of Damour & Naismith will be felt for a long time down at Gorgie.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 07-01-2020 at 08:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I actually don’t think Budge will have had anything to do with this. I think Spendall will have said he needs new players and was told he had to move players on before he could bring any in. He’s probably said fine but we’re going to have to force the big earners out and this is the only way to do it. I think she will be cringing with the way they’ve treated him and fearful at the repercussions it could have on the dressing room. He could be a hero or massive short term disaster for them. I would be gutted if Hibs treated a current captain and great servant like that. It will be harder to get Naismith off their books but he must be next in the firing line.

Budge hired Stendal specifically for his style of football - a style likely to expose an ageing centre back whose legs have gone.

Were Budge and Stendal at the wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    They must be strapped for cash. Wouldn't surprise me if Naismith is next.
    Jambo at work is saying McLean will be the next one away

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Brutal way to treat someone who's done a lot for their club. He's struggled since injury but you'd think they could go about moving him on in a better way. Training with the kids and punted a couple days after his wedding, clearly stendel is trying to make a power move. Berra is a popular lad in the dressing room though so it won't be good for morale.

Hopefully it ends up being straight from the Terry Butcher playbook.
    I agree to an extent but it's an even more brutal way the board are treating the Hearts fan donators by *****ing six grand of their money every week on this past-it player.

HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm
    Can’t go saying stuff like that..... 😂

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Was playing well until his bad injury sustained in a match against Celtic 18 months ago. Apparently very poor since returning, looks like injury combined with age have done him in.
    He will be 35 before the end of the month but remarkably still has 18 months contract left at circa £6k a week. Given the extent of his demise there will be no takers. Best Hearts can hope for is someone picking up a quarter of his wage on loan.

Think they might have been lucky with Whelan (another 35 year old) because he wants to play at the Euro's if his team make it through the play off's and to do that he needs to be playing. So he may have walked with a small sweetener knowing he needs game time and can get a contract elsewhere.

Stendal obviously has no such spell over Berra as he tries desperately to get rid of the big ticket items to provide cash for new player expenses but Levein has painted them into a very painful and expensive corner.

The arsenic Levein Legacy in the form of the 4 year contracts of Damour & Naismith will be felt for a long time still in Gorgie.
    Apparently wHelan has had an agreement that he only trained twice a week. Stendal not happy at that arrangement so empties him