hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Money is stupid at the top level but I don't really see those type of figures being thrown around for two players that could realistically be playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Championship in 8 months for a club that will be in real trouble financially with possible fire sales if they go down again. It's probably more realistic that Grealish, despite having zero England caps, is probably valued nearer the £40m and John McGinn a little over half that tops.

We know John McGinn is a class act. But how many clubs have been promoted to the Premiership, had a fantastic player tipped to go for big money, only for them to really just be an average bottom half player?

Charlie Adam's season with Blackpool in the Premiership hits a lot of the same notes as this situation, in fact Adam had an even better season and didn't get an injury the made him miss nearly half the season. He was linked with all the same clubs that McGinn was before his injury and ended up moving to a mid table Liverpool side for a fraction of the price it was quoted to be in the press before being found out.

I do think McGinn is a better natural player and has a better attitude than Adam of course, should he ever get that type of move (say at an Arsenal or Man Utd compared to Adam's Liverpool) then he will do more than Adam ever did at Anfield imo but I just don't see where the dots line up for him being a £40/50 million player at this point.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think maybe if he didn't get that injury it would be more likely. The best thing he/we can probably hope for now is that Villa stay up this season, possibly through McGinn coming back as a breath of fresh air in the run-in before having an absolute blistering season as their main man next season.
    All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McGinn is the type of player that most teams need in their midfield, his workrate, enthusiasm and professionalism is very hard to find, add in talent and he's worth plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.
    Oli McBurnie at £20M surely takes the biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Genuinely laughed out loud when that piece of business was announced. Mind boggling that the management at Sheffield United thought that was money well spent.....

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Scored tonight.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

£30million says the Daily Record/Star

John McGinn transfer chase on as Newcastle eye £30m swoop for Scotland star

Newcastle are lining up a sensational £30m swoop for John McGinn.

Former Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce wants to take McGinn to England's north east having previously signed him for Villa.

McGinn made the £2.5m to England from Hibs in 2018 and was a star in the Championship as they got promoted to the top flight.

With the Scotland international in the engine room, Villa strung together 10 back-to-back wins to emerge from the chasing pack and clinch promotion through the play-offs.

McGinn’s value skyrocketed on the back of that plus a seamless transition to the Premier League this season.

The 25-year-old has been out since December after breaking his ankle but is now close to being ready for Villa’s desperate scramble to get out of the bottom three, if and when the season resumes, report the Daily Star.

If Dean Smith’s men confirm their Premier League status then they shouldn’t have too much trouble fending off enquiries for McGinn.

But if they don’t they face the very real prospect of losing him, along with prize asset Jack Grealish who has a host of top clubs waiting.

Grealish will be one of the hottest properties around once transfer activity resumes with Manchester United, Tottenham and Everton all ready to fork out £50m-plus to land him.

The consequences of relegation would be bleak for Villa who have sailed close to the wind in terms of Financial Fair Play regulations.

They spent £120m on players after winning promotion last summer and in February announced a £68.9m loss for the previous financial year.

They have wealthy backers in Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens but relegation would invariably see star names such as Grealish, McGinn and defender Tyrone Mings heading for the exit door.

Record signing Wesley is making great progress after his horror knee injury which required surgery.

The £22m striker’s camapaign came crashing to a halt when was carried off on a stretcher just over three months ago against Burnley.

The big striker snapped his anterior cruciate ligament but is jogging again and is doing rehab in the pool and on his bike back at home in Brazil.

Slow news day? Probably. Still nice to imagine a sizeable cheque coming Easter Road way...

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Villa will want more than £30m for him
    And can you imagine the payment terms Ashley would come up with

Let the bidding begin at £30m please. I wonder what the sell on clause is, even 10% is a good chunk.

I think the more crazy valuations and bids of recent times aren’t likely to return very quickly. Apart from anything else, clubs that have been using taxpayer money to pay staff throwing around tens of millions on transfer fees won’t go well.

I could see him moving, sure, but I think the amount we’re likely to get will be a lot smaller than we may have considered to be likely a few months ago.

We may not get as much for McGinn's sell on as we'd hoped before this started, but it will still be a massive boost to our finances at a time when our competitors will still be struggling.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Would have hoped he would go to a team likely to be in the top half of the league on a regular basis rather than a struggling Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Let the bidding begin at £30m please. I wonder what the sell on clause is, even 10% is a good chunk.
    15% I believe

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    15% I believe
    Will be of any future profit and not the transfer value

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Would have hoped he would go to a team likely to be in the top half of the league on a regular basis rather than a struggling Newcastle.
    If Villa stay up, I don't see him going to Newcastle. There is always the potential for Newcastle to become a top half of the table side if they can get their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Villa will want more than £30m for him
    And can you imagine the payment terms Ashley would come up with
    Newcastle pay for transfers up front in full and have done for years. It would be a great move for mcginn.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    If Villa stay up, I don't see him going to Newcastle. There is always the potential for Newcastle to become a top half of the table side if they can get their act together.
    That's probably been their motto for most their existence. Imo McGinn would be better off going elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Even if that’s the case, it’s only £375k less than we would get if it was the full fee.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I think the more crazy valuations and bids of recent times aren’t likely to return very quickly. Apart from anything else, clubs that have been using taxpayer money to pay staff throwing around tens of millions on transfer fees won’t go well.

I could see him moving, sure, but I think the amount we’re likely to get will be a lot smaller than we may have considered to be likely a few months ago.
    100% right! Most of the end of season money £100 million, will already be vastly reduced to pay deferred wages to over paid stars!
    Most likely to be the lowest pre-season transfer market since SKY bulked up the money.
    Normal service will resume, by maybe the season after, but I think salaries and transfer fees will drastically be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    That's probably been their motto for most their existence. Imo McGinn would be better off going elsewhere
    They're certainly the perennial underachievers. I think he'll have at least one more season at Villa if they stay up; a move to Newcastle would be a sideways move in those circumstances. If they go down, there might be a pressure to sell and if Newcastle was the only (or best) club to make an offer he could end up going there.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    100% right! Most of the end of season money £100 million, will already be vastly reduced to pay deferred wages to over paid stars!
    Most likely to be the lowest pre-season transfer market since SKY bulked up the money.
    Normal service will resume, by maybe the season after, but I think salaries and transfer fees will drastically be reduced.
    That's my thinking as well - surely the current situation will knock some sense into football clubs and they will totally re-think their business strategies?

The big clubs will always prosper, but clubs like Aston Villa, West Ham, Bournemouth, Burnley etc. need to get real - they are not big clubs - they may get lucky and get a few seasons in the PL - but that doesn't mean they should start buying players for £30m, be paying half their squad £50k / week. Anyone can get lucky, but sooner or later that luck will run out and they will get relegated - that is the budget they should be working to - they shouldn't be trying to compete with Liverpool in the transfer market.

A year ago, I remember reading that Huddersfield Town had something like the 20th biggest budget in European football - I bet they don't now, but are probably still paying PL wages to half their squad.

As such, I hope that transfer values and wages for all players drop like a stone - McGinn might still be playing for Hibs if that had been the case a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    That's my thinking as well - surely the current situation will knock some sense into football clubs and they will totally re-think their business strategies?

The big clubs will always prosper, but clubs like Aston Villa, West Ham, Bournemouth, Burnley etc. need to get real - they are not big clubs - they may get lucky and get a few seasons in the PL - but that doesn't mean they should start buying players for £30m, be paying half their squad £50k / week. Anyone can get lucky, but sooner or later that luck will run out and they will get relegated - that is the budget they should be working to - they shouldn't be trying to compete with Liverpool in the transfer market.

A year ago, I remember reading that Huddersfield Town had something like the 20th biggest budget in European football - I bet they don't now, but are probably still paying PL wages to half their squad.

As such, I hope that transfer values and wages for all players drop like a stone - McGinn might still be playing for Hibs if that had been the case a year ago.
    Don’t really agree with much of this. Villa are a big club by most measures and clearly they’ve gambled this year in the hope of staying up. If they go down they’ve got a number of players that they can sell for good money. They’ll be fine.

The other clubs you list are all established EPL teams and none of them are trying to compete with Liverpool or other top clubs for fees/wages. These clubs are simply living within their means. Buying players for £30m is part of that.

The money in football is distasteful but the same could be said of Baseball or Golf or any other elite sport. A global pandemic is not a trigger to re-evaluate any of that. It’s just the world we live in

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Don’t really agree with much of this. Villa are a big club by most measures and clearly they’ve gambled this year in the hope of staying up. If they go down they’ve got a number of players that they can sell for good money. They’ll be fine.

The other clubs you list are all established EPL teams and none of them are trying to compete with Liverpool or other top clubs for fees/wages. These clubs are simply living within their means. Buying players for £30m is part of that.

The money in football is distasteful but the same could be said of Baseball or Golf or any other elite sport. A global pandemic is not a trigger to re-evaluate any of that. It’s just the world we live in
    Aston Villa were days away from administration 6 months ago. I'd say, in addition to the above teams, Watford, Crystal Palace, Newcastle etc. are all yo-yo teams. The chances are they will soon become the next Sunderland / Bolton / Swansea / Leeds / Charlton / Hull. They all spend big, fail, spend years in lower leagues, go into administration and start again.

They all assume they will get into and remain in the PL, so they budget that the bumper Sky payments will keep rolling in - every season is a massive gamble and these teams all eventually lose.

It's great that there's a lot of money in football - but it needs to be managed properly. Some teams have earned it and are set up to deal with it - others have it suddenly thrown at them and aren't set up for it.

But I suppose that's the beauty of football / sport - it's why we love it - it lets us dream big. All these teams gave their fans a couple of great years - I'm sure most of them would say that it was worth it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Bournemouth have got to where they are with oligarch money.

Take that backing away and they would tumble back down the leagues again soon enough.

How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Even if that’s the case, it’s only £375k less than we would get if it was the full fee.
    Only? £375k is a good chunk of cash for a club our size.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How do you know this?
    Overheard it in Greggs.

Only? £375k is a good chunk of cash for a club our size.

Overheard it in Greggs.
    Considering the figure (if £30m) would be £4.5m, it may well be a good chunk of cash, but if changing it to profit rather than overall transfer was the only way to get the deal done with Villa then it’s still a hugely successful bit of business, and still have the potential to grow even further down the line if he keeps progressing.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Can’t see him wanting to go to Newcastle

There will be more illustrious clubs in for him than Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Considering the figure (if £30m) would be £4.5m, it may well be a good chunk of cash, but if changing it to profit rather than overall transfer was the only way to get the deal done with Villa then it’s still a hugely successful bit of business, and still have the potential to grow even further down the line if he keeps progressing.
    Ah, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this was a bad bit of business at all. Will most likely be the best bit of business by Hibs ever.

It's just my understanding that it was a percentage of future profit

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can’t see him wanting to go to Newcastle
    Why not?