hibs.net Messageboard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Money is stupid at the top level but I don't really see those type of figures being thrown around for two players that could realistically be playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Championship in 8 months for a club that will be in real trouble financially with possible fire sales if they go down again. It's probably more realistic that Grealish, despite having zero England caps, is probably valued nearer the £40m and John McGinn a little over half that tops.

We know John McGinn is a class act. But how many clubs have been promoted to the Premiership, had a fantastic player tipped to go for big money, only for them to really just be an average bottom half player?

Charlie Adam's season with Blackpool in the Premiership hits a lot of the same notes as this situation, in fact Adam had an even better season and didn't get an injury the made him miss nearly half the season. He was linked with all the same clubs that McGinn was before his injury and ended up moving to a mid table Liverpool side for a fraction of the price it was quoted to be in the press before being found out.

I do think McGinn is a better natural player and has a better attitude than Adam of course, should he ever get that type of move (say at an Arsenal or Man Utd compared to Adam's Liverpool) then he will do more than Adam ever did at Anfield imo but I just don't see where the dots line up for him being a £40/50 million player at this point.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think maybe if he didn't get that injury it would be more likely. The best thing he/we can probably hope for now is that Villa stay up this season, possibly through McGinn coming back as a breath of fresh air in the run-in before having an absolute blistering season as their main man next season.
    All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McGinn is the type of player that most teams need in their midfield, his workrate, enthusiasm and professionalism is very hard to find, add in talent and he's worth plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.
    Oli McBurnie at £20M surely takes the biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Genuinely laughed out loud when that piece of business was announced. Mind boggling that the management at Sheffield United thought that was money well spent.....

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Scored tonight.