hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree re wardrobes.

The master in the one we looked at has a 4 door built in wardrobe

Seen some at not far over 3m and no wardrobes

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Makes a massive difference mate - my master bedroom has similar - double folding doors with a walk in wardrobe - so much space. Got good cupboard space as well - big cupboard upstairs and 2 in the utility room.

Loads of houses (when I was looking) had hardly any and if they did they were mental - in the living room behind the couch or half size doors that youd basically have to kneel down to go into.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Bought a Barratt new build flat in 2007. I'm still living in it, so it can't have been that bad, although a few points worth noting:

(i) If doing it again I'd be inclined to instruct a quantity surveyor or similar to inspect the interiors to see where corners have been cut and where snagging issues arise. I thought I'd done a good job on this myself, but years later found annoying issues arising such as, for example, the TV aerial and telephone sockets in the master bedroom being connected to absolutely nothing - clearly corners were cut by the builders. That said, this place was put up in 2007 at a time when the housing rush was at its worst and flats were just being literally thrown up, so things may have improved since then.

(ii) negotiate, and negotiate hard. I was fortunate to be living at home at the time so could afford to walk out of their show room as often as I wished, and my flat was also the last one to be sold on the development so they were keen to get rid of it. For the sake of not being able to choose my kitchen and bathroom colours I happily saved up to 20k on the purchase price paid by some of my neighbours for exactly the same property.

(iii) you won't know who your neighbours are: probably less of an issue with houses than flats, but I only discovered after buying my flat that Barratt had sold about 30/40 properties to one individual who runs them as party flats and now tries to purchase any other properties that come on the market. That means the two flats on the landing below me are both effectively AirBnBs, but to be fair these are more commonly let to families / workers than stag dos etc.

Bought a Barratt new build almost three years ago and really happy with it. There was a few snagging issues which is to be expected; most were sorted relatively quickly, the only one which wasn't was drainage in the garden which took over a year to resolve (to the extent it has been anyway). The only extras we paid for were in relation to the kitchen - we organised everything else ourselves including carpets/flooring etc.

They've just finished building on our site and, even though another builder is building in the area, a couple of properties on our site have sold for about 15% over what they were bought for 3/4 years ago.

The only real downside I can think of is the issue of settlement with regards to decoration. It's pretty much pointless painting or papering a wall for the first 18-24 months as the house is still "moving" and definitely don't tile an upstairs floor.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Make sure there's enough storage.
    Even better if you can get a house that has a cellar. Mine is divided into 3 rooms and has exactly the same amount of floor space as the other 3 levels. I completely renovated it before moving in and installed lighting, heating, subterranean windows and extended the electrical circuit to 4 double sockets per room. The largest room I converted into a recreation room with bar, sports equipment and home cinema, the smallest room is a utility room and storage and the middle sized room has been converted into a bedroom which not only allowed us to turn a bedroom on the first floor into a walk in wardrobe but also provides us with a cool sleeping alternative in the summer when temperatures rise to the mid 30's. I absolutely detest cluttered up living areas and the cellar means we can keep the other 3 living levels absolutely clutter free but still have easy access to all that stuff you need occasionally but don't want cluttering up your house.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Even better if you can get a house that has a cellar. Mine is divided into 3 rooms and has exactly the same amount of floor space as the other 3 levels. I completely renovated it before moving in and installed lighting, heating, subterranean windows and extended the electrical circuit to 4 double sockets per room. The largest room I converted into a recreation room with bar, sports equipment and home cinema, the smallest room is a utility room and storage and the middle sized room has been converted into a bedroom which not only allowed us to turn a bedroom on the first floor into a walk in wardrobe but also provides us with a cool sleeping alternative in the summer when temperatures rise to the mid 30's. I absolutely detest cluttered up living areas and the cellar means we can keep the other 3 living levels absolutely clutter free but still have easy access to all that stuff you need occasionally but don't want cluttering up your house.
    That sounds ****ing amazing man. Come and do my house.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That sounds ****ing amazing man. Come and do my house.
    I used the term "I" loosely.

I got professionals to do the heating and windows due to me being afflicted with a condition called duo lefthanditis. Everything else was easy.

How are you getting on with this mate?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Offer made on Friday on a house we really like. Waiting to hear back from the developer on what they think.

Its basically a "match what the new build site up the road was offering us - so very interesting to see if they accept or laugh us out the park

Certainly the sales advisor suggested we could get alot of what we required but head office have to approve

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I bought a new home in LA in 2015 and an old home (1990's is an old home in Florida) a couple of months ago. Obviously we have more repairs to do on the older home but we were surprised by how much work we ended up doing on a brand new house over the last 5 years. Workmanship is possibly not as good here considering how many casually trained workers end up hanging doors and fitting windows. I had to adjust a lot of non-closing doors after a few months.