hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are you reading? - The 2020 Edition

There used to be a good 'what are you reading thread' somewhere on the forums but it's dropped off the front pages. I thought it might be a good idea to resurrect the idea and start a new thread for reviews, inspiration etc

I've just started The Body by Bill Bryson. Similar to his A Short History of Nearly Everything. I say just started I powered through half the book yesterday morning and have had a good crack at the remainder already today. Very readable, it's an overview but, much like the aforementioned Short History, an excellent one.

Next on my list is Bishops and Covenanters by Ann Shukman, Whisky Island by Andrew Jefford and Forgotten: The Untold Story of D Days Black Heroes by Linda Hervieux.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    3 on the go just now, a re-read of the Harp Awakes by Alan Lugton. Always find the series interesting and informative.

Escape from Sobibor which I think is a great exposure of inhumanity and a wee bit of triumph of the human spirit as well.

Enjoying Barry Hines A Kestrel for a Knave. It's the book one of my favourite films, Kes is based on and the book is a great read, I'd say a proper classic.

I've read a lot of Bill Bryson, not convinced by some of the more recent ones but found Notes from a Small Island to be hilarious.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Just started Tyson Fury's autobiography as I fancied something different.

Just started ‘Coal Black Mornings’ by Brett Anderson from Suede.

Just finished Carlo Ancelotti “Quiet Leadership”. Decent, easy read. Not really a biography but did give an interesting insight into how he is today as a person and manager.

Just about to start The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.

And I’m about a quarter of the way through History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt. I’ve been at it for months but it is a beast. Brilliant if you like modern history. The Berlin Wall has just gone up and Britain has started talks to join the EEC 😁

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Just started ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Despite being an avid reader, I have managed to reach middle age without ever having read any of his work. I purloined the book from my father-in-law at New Year. I’m only thirty or forty pages in but it is stunning and I can see why he is hailed as one of the great writers of his time.

I like a number of Russian writers and it always amazes me how well they translate. Marquez is like that. His sentiments and metaphors convey themselves easily.

One of my Christmas presents was the full set of Alastair Campbell diaries. I am relishing getting stuck into those.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!
    Just finished "5 chimneys" by Olga Lengyel.
    Now starting "An appetite for wonder" by Richard Dawkins. Eagerly awaiting John Bercow's autobiography which must surely come out soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just started ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Despite being an avid reader, I have managed to reach middle age without ever having read any of his work. I purloined the book from my father-in-law at New Year. I’m only thirty or forty pages in but it is stunning and I can see why he is hailed as one of the great writers of his time.

I like a number of Russian writers and it always amazes me how well they translate. Marquez is like that. His sentiments and metaphors convey themselves easily.

One of my Christmas presents was the full set of Alastair Campbell diaries. I am relishing getting stuck into those.
    One hundred years is incredible. Possibly the best book ever written. Simply iconic.

He's the only Colombian to win a noble prize for literature.

I got given a copy by a Colombian friend and read it and ever since I've been a massive fan of GGM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    One hundred years is incredible. Possibly the best book ever written. Simply iconic.

He's the only Colombian to win a noble prize for literature.

I got given a copy by a Colombian friend and read it and ever since I've been a massive fan of GGM.

As i say, just forty pages in but you can tell already it is masterful.

It reads a little like “Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe, or “And Quiet Flows the Don” by Sholokhov.

They are all beautiful tales of family but also so delicate and exquisite in their exposition.

I am looking forward to finishing it and moving onto his other works. As per my previous post I really am not sure how I got to this stage in life without having read his work! Having said that I am sure there are many other authors who should be treasured but whom I’ve not come across yet. Such is life........
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 05-01-2020 at 09:54 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Just started "Night boat to Tangier" by Kevin Barry and have to say it's bloody good so far.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Trudging my way through the Broons and Oor Wullie annuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

As i say, just forty pages in but you can tell already it is masterful.

It reads a little like “Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe, or “And Quiet Flows the Don” by Sholokhov.

They are all beautiful tales of family but also so delicate and exquisite in their exposition.

I am looking forward to finishing it and moving onto his other works. As per my previous post I really am not sure how I got to this stage in life without having read his work! Having said that I am sure there are many other authors who should be treasured but whom I’ve not come across yet. Such is life........
    I look out the others you mention because I've never read them. As you say, there are too many books and never enough time. I could lose days in a proper bookshop.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    'Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History' by S.C Gwynne is a lot more fascinating than the long title sounds.

'Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth' by Andrew Smith. Not read this one yet but sounds like it will be interesting.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    'Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth' by Andrew Smith. Not read this one yet but sounds like it will be interesting.
    I read this a few years ago - enjoyable and fascinating.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Doctor Who, The Drosten's Curse by A L Kennedy. Set around a golf course at Arbroath.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Who Killed my Father - Edouard Louis
    Untethered Soul - Michael A SInger

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    James Obrien’s book is next up for me, after I’ve finished “Command and Control” by Eric Schlosser - about the history of nuclear weapons in the US.

The run of his life: The People v OJ Simpson

Worked my way through a lot of RR Haywoods The Undead series since Xmas, really good stuff, aswell as finishing off ‘Sapiens’ by Yuval Noah Harare in three days, addictive!

Next up is a book I’ve been meaning to read for years but just never got round to it, ‘The better angels of our nature’ by Steven Pinker. Sounds fascinating.

@hibs.net private member
    Some reads from The last few months : these are the ones I’d recommend ..all very good

Astroball. Ben Reiter. About how data and science took the Houston Astros from the worst in the baseball leagues to world champs ...changed sport as we know it

Age of surveillance capitalism - how our private data has become one of the worlds most valuable commodities ..powerful - although quite a technical read ...

Hack Attack by Nick Davies - the journo who pursued and broke the phone hacking scandal

To the lions - new fiction

Awaken the Buddha within - Buddhist philosophy for the modern world ..reread from a few years ago

Say Nothing - true story of an IRA killing a citizen accused of working with the brits..

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Got a few books for Christmas.

Bob Dylan - Chronicles volume 1,
    Laurent Garnier - Electrochoc
    and the Dishoom cookbook.

Enjoying working my way through them all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Some reads from The last few months : these are the ones I’d recommend ..all very good

Astroball. Ben Reiter. About how data and science took the Houston Astros from the worst in the baseball leagues to world champs ...changed sport as we know it

Age of surveillance capitalism - how our private data has become one of the worlds most valuable commodities ..powerful - although quite a technical read ...

Hack Attack by Nick Davies - the journo who pursued and broke the phone hacking scandal

To the lions - new fiction

Awaken the Buddha within - Buddhist philosophy for the modern world ..reread from a few years ago

Say Nothing - true story of an IRA killing a citizen accused of working with the brits..
    Is Astroball good? Different from Moneyball?

Never knew we had such a broad range of interests in books. Thought we just chucked glass bottles and abused everyone 😀.

Time for a library at ER with a bar and coffee shop.

I am rereading "How late it was how late" by James Kelman for the fifth or sixth time. An outstanding work, hilarious sad and everything in between
    I have lots to catch up on, Phillip Kerr last two Bernie Gunther novels and the latest Robicheaux novel by James Lee Burke.

Jo Nesbo's Macbeth, very good indeed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Is Astroball good? Different from Moneyball?

Never knew we had such a broad range of interests in books. Thought we just chucked glass bottles and abused everyone .

Time for a library at ER with a bar and coffee shop.
    I like that coffee and library idea !

I’ve not read moneyball so can’t comment. But I did enjoy astroball a lot ....similar story I suspect.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Bob Dylan - Chronicles volume 1
    Hope you enjoy this one!

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Whatya mean theres no seats? Anne budge
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    Whatya mean theres no seats? Anne budge
    Seriously though just started gulag archipeligo. Tried to get i to it a few years ago but kept getting interrupted.in my snug now...doorlocked.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Left by mutual consent!
    No Nonsense- Joey Barton. Breezed through it. Loved it and would recommend it to anyone.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I am rereading "How late it was how late" by James Kelman for the fifth or sixth time. An outstanding work, hilarious sad and everything in between
    Fifth or sixth time...wow! I read it last year for the first time, got really immersed in it but I'd never read it again.

Just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. Didn't seem like the sort of book someone like me would enjoy but it's the best thing I've read in a long time, also hilarious and sad.