hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto v manual

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s a 2015 so it’s the wet one, I also have a 2017 Octavia which has the dry.
    Absolutely love the dry DSG, like you I've had both. I've got a remapped Cupra and the box handles it superbly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Oooft, yer no wantin' yer VAG dry!
    😂😂🇳🇬🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Not sure about all this ‘takes the enjoyment out of driving stuff’! How often do you ever drive to ‘enjoy it’? Normally it’s trips to the shops, or taking the ifs somewhere etc etc...rarely are you out on the back roads having a blast for fun! And anyway a good auto is plenty of fun to drive anyway and you you can always use the semi auto mode if you really must still change gears yourself Lewis Hamilton stylee.

Autos are the biz and honestly I can’t for the life of me understand anyone who would prefer a manual unless it was on a fast car that they took for a spin at weekends. For day to day driving autos win hands down.

As for using park at the lights....hmm not to sure about that. I tend to pop it into neutral and put the handbrake on. When the time nears to move off it’s foot on the brake, move into drive and then the handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator.

I suppose I’ve always thought of park for use when parked, not just stopped...
    Auto is great for fast cars too. My 435 is like shet of a shovel and seamless from 10mph to, well, as fast as you want.

I've also got a Mazda MX-5. It's nowhere near as fast as the BMW, but it needs to be manual so you can take it to the red line before changing gear for maximum fun.

If I lived in Edinburgh and had to drive in all that stop start traffic I'd definitely recommend auto.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Auto is great for fast cars too. My 435 is like shet of a shovel and seamless from 10mph to, well, as fast as you want.
    Oh absolutely, that’s why I’m not fully bought into the you need a manual to enjoy driving chat.

But as you say if you have a high revving sporty wee number for the weekends then you’d want that to be a manual but apart from that it’s auto all the way for me.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I used to drive a manual taxi and would finish shifts with my left knee killing me.

Now I drive an auto Merc taxi and it's such a pleasure to drive.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Driving an automatic takes the enjoyment out of driving for me. I know others will disagree, but you can’t beat a manual gear box.
    Almost all automatic cars have the ability to switch to manual gear selection.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Almost all automatic cars have the ability to switch to manual gear selection.....

It’s not the same though. A gear stick is like an extension of your arm when driving, taking that away spoils it for me. I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but that’s just my preference when driving. I still enjoy driving even in town and taking away the gear stick and clutch pedal diminishes my enjoyment.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It’s not the same though. A gear stick is like an extension of your arm when driving, taking that away spoils it for me. I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but that’s just my preference when driving. I still enjoy driving even in town and taking away the gear stick and clutch pedal diminishes my enjoyment.
    I get it, but not really in town where you are nearly always stop start in traffic. Take my regular route on A702 to M74 I like to have a manual on that run without a doubt.

Back in the 80’s when I fitted snooker tables one of our long wheelbase Ford transits was an automatic, a bloody nightmare with a full size table on board including slates 😁

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar

I agree with you. Driving a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    I agree with you. Driving a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.
    I'm not accepting a lift from you, ever!

And if I was a woman, I doubt I'd be hooking up with you for any horizontal jogging.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

I still miss double declutching!

Got a DSG gearbox on my VW. Anyone know of any garages that can programme the cars computer to default to have the stop-start function disabled? Good feature on a manual but pain in the arse on an auto.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Got a DSG gearbox on my VW. Anyone know of any garages that can programme the cars computer to default to have the stop-start function disabled? Good feature on a manual but pain in the arse on an auto.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    What's the difference?

I've got it on both and it works perfectly.

@hibs.net private member
    What's the difference?

Agree, seems a better function for me on my DSG rather than our manual with the same EA888 engine.

That aside, it can be done via the Carista app/port.

What's the difference?

Maybe got the name wrong but meaning when it switches the engine off when you break, not the auto hold feature.

On a manual it only turns the engine off when it's handbrake and neutral. On the automatic approach a busy roundabout or junction and brake and the engine switches off. That split second off waiting for the engine to power back on can make a big difference, especially at rush hour etc

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe got the name wrong but meaning when it switches the engine off when you break, not the auto hold feature.

On a manual it only turns the engine off when it's handbrake and neutral. On the automatic approach a busy roundabout or junction and brake and the engine switches off. That split second off waiting for the engine to power back on can make a big difference, especially at rush hour etc
    I'd get that checked out mate. Depending on spec, there is an external sensor to pick up the vehicle in front moving off that should start the engine. More importantly, you should be stationary for a couple of seconds before it kicks in. With the auto break on you should be able to gently touch the accelerator to make sure the engine is on without moving the car.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Yeah I found the same as with a manual you can stop it happening by keeping the clutch down.

On the autos it just does it every time you stop and can be quite annoying. Most cars have the ability to turn it off though through settings or a switch on the dash.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Surely there is a button/switch to turn it off? There is on my works auto car.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    There is aye - but getting in and out the car several times a day i'd rather just pay to get it deactivated. Especially seeing as i'm planning on having the car for 5 more years yet.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I'd get that checked out mate. Depending on spec, there is an external sensor to pick up the vehicle in front moving off that should start the engine. More importantly, you should be stationary for a couple of seconds before it kicks in. With the auto break on you should be able to gently touch the accelerator to make sure the engine is on without moving the car.
    I'll check it out. I have a Passat and missus a Golf GT. I find it the same on hers. Perhaps its me coming from manual transmission to automatic. I'll give it another go.

It does have the radar thing on the front. Had some fanny jump on the road infront of me and the car broke itself. Great feature.

When I stop at the lights or roundabout, if I'm just expecting to be there for more than a few seconds, I'll sit with my foot on the brake.

The engine will stop, but as soon as I release the brake, it starts again and I move off. In fact, if I release the brake and the engine starts, but I decide not to move off, I can put my foot on the brake and the engine stays on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    Indeed Swiss Toni 😂😂😂

There is aye - but getting in and out the car several times a day i'd rather just pay to get it deactivated. Especially seeing as i'm planning on having the car for 5 more years yet.
    Could try this ...

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/2...hout-recoding/

I'll check it out. I have a Passat and missus a Golf GT. I find it the same on hers. Perhaps its me coming from manual transmission to automatic. I'll give it another go.

It does have the radar thing on the front. Had some fanny jump on the road infront of me and the car broke itself. Great feature.
    The best thing about this is the adaptive cruise control. Gives my dodgy right knee a rest on long journeys. It's great on average speed camera roads as well, like the A9. Just set it at 65 and cruise.

The "joy of motoring" contingent will not agree.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    The best thing about this is the adaptive cruise control. Gives my dodgy right knee a rest on long journeys. It's great on average speed camera roads as well, like the A9. Just set it at 65 and cruise.

Every game is an away game for me as we live in ayrshire, the ACC is amazing. Helps return good mpg in a guzzler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

I've only got cruise with brake function, but I used adaptive in Australia last year and I was impressed so I'll try to get it on my next car.

I can always cancel it if I'm ever in a "JoM" mood and have a desperate need to use the brake.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    On mine too

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Always preferred manuals but id be happy to give that up to get a Tesla