hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto v manual

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries

Auto v manual

About to change my car to automatic, basically panicking as I’ve had a manual car forever. Any horror stories or is it easy to make the change?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About to change my car to automatic, basically panicking as I’ve had a manual car forever. Any horror stories or is it easy to make the change?
    Switched six months ago to an auto, having always driven manual (apart from the odd holiday rental).

It is fine, takes a bit of getting used to, especially the left foot and the left hand being essentially inactive.

I would watch out if it offers the option to go into manual from ‘Drive’, have done that a couple of times when my brain wasn’t fully engaged and wondered why I was revving at seven but going at twenty

If I had any concerns it would be about going back to manual - my partner has a manual and I’ve not driven it since I got my new car. I fear for her clutch when I get in and have to go back to clutch control.

Only other thing is set-offs. Once you are in ‘Drive’ you start moving forward regardless, so you need to work out your relationship with ‘Neutral’, the handbrake and the brake pedal

Easy drives though.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    You will be fine, agree it will feel a bit odd to begin with but you’ll get used to it very quickly. My sister in law recently drove an automatic for the first time and made the mistake of trying to use her left foot and hit the brake thinking it’s the clutch. I told her to tuck her left foot and leg back out the way and only use her right foot. She’s been fine ever since and loves driving an auto now.

@hibs.net private member
    Other than wondering what to do with your left foot for the first few drives, you’ll find it a breeze...

Have gone auto for last 4 cars..can’t see me ever going back to manual. More relaxing ...

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I used to drive an automatic ambulance at work and I hated it. I'm guessing technology has moved on since then but it used to take a moment between gears and always seemed to be a second or too behind what I actually wanted it to do.

What I hated most though was getting into my manual car after a shift and stalling it because I'd become used to the automatic.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Drove them on holiday and their excellent. Got a manual at home and have no intention of buying a new car but if I did I’d be looking into an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Switched six months ago to an auto, having always driven manual (apart from the odd holiday rental).

It is fine, takes a bit of getting used to, especially the left foot and the left hand being essentially inactive.

I would watch out if it offers the option to go into manual from ‘Drive’, have done that a couple of times when my brain wasn’t fully engaged and wondered why I was revving at seven but going at twenty

If I had any concerns it would be about going back to manual - my partner has a manual and I’ve not driven it since I got my new car. I fear for her clutch when I get in and have to go back to clutch control.

Only other thing is set-offs. Once you are in ‘Drive’ you start moving forward regardless, so you need to work out your relationship with ‘Neutral’, the handbrake and the brake pedal

Easy drives though.

my wife is only able to drive automatics due to a disability, so since becoming a couple any car we’ve bought bar one has been an automatic, purely for ease of organisation between using them.

I've driven several manual cars in that time (about 11 years), and honestly it’s like riding a bike, you remember what to do instinctively (the odd stall coming to a halt at lights may occur )

driving an automatic is actually much more relaxing than a manual in many ways. No way to stall, no need to get a sore left leg in heavy traffic, safer moving off in snow/icy conditions as the cars have a crawl function which the car automatically adjusts to the conditions. Many automatics are actually semi-automatic, and have a manual sequential gearbox, so if you fancy changing gears yourself you can.

@hibs.net private member
    The Seat/Audi/VW/Skoda DSG boxes are exceptional.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If you tuck your left foot under for the first few drives you’ll get used to it no problem, my boss has an automatic X5 and they’re so nice to drive.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your helpful replies - seems it won’t be as daunting as I imagine.

Left by mutual consent!
    Automatic every time for me. Hiring or buying. I would say most people who had reservations about automatics quickly changed their minds and many say they'd never go back to manual.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Automatic every time for me. Hiring or buying. I would say most people who had reservations about automatics quickly changed their minds and many say they'd never go back to manual.
    Other than possibly being a more pure driving experience, manuals don’t really seem to make a lot of sense any more.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Other than possibly being a more pure driving experience, manuals don’t really seem to make a lot of sense any more.
    If electric cars have the impact the industry expects in the next few years, we won't have gearboxes, let alone manual ones.

@hibs.net private member
    I hired an auto on holiday this year: a cracking BMW 3, or so I thought.

A bargain rate so I went for it. Big mistake. I like to feel my driving and the response of the car I am driving, a typical Italian.

It drove beautifully from the airport on the motorway but when I reached the toll booth I forgot there was no clutch and used my left foot as a clutch.

I could't understand what was going on as I pressed the accelerator at the same time as releasing the ' clutch '.

Back and forth crossing and blocking other lanes until I leaped forward side on to a lorry: luckily the auto brake stopped the car.

It was an electronic auto gear stick with Spanish wording to be fair, so ignore that.

Anyway, an automatic is for me joyless. But good luck if you are happy to leave the driving to your car.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I dont mind automatics but if you also have cruise control and lane sensors, it hardly feels like driving at all .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I got my 1st automatic 2 years ago and love it. Will never go back to a manual against
    Automatics are great when in traffic

Left by mutual consent!
    A word to the wise for new automatic drivers and those who don't give a toss about others. If you're at traffic lights at night take your foot of the brake and stick it in park to save blinding the person behind 🙏🏻😄

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    A word to the wise for new automatic drivers and those who don't give a toss about others. If you're at traffic lights at night take your foot of the brake and stick it in park to save blinding the person behind 🙏🏻😄
    If you have an electronic handbrake can’t do anything about the brake lights. But do agree with you, does become annoying if you’re stuck behind a car with brake lights on for a while.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    If you have an electronic handbrake can’t do anything about the brake lights. But do agree with you, does become annoying if you’re stuck behind a car with brake lights on for a while.
    Yes I wouldnt use the handbrake though. Just out of drive and into park is enough. Or maybe now modernised beyond my experience?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Yes I wouldnt use the handbrake though. Just out of drive and into park is enough. Or maybe now modernised beyond my experience?
    You're correct. I've got an auto BMW 435d and I use park at the lights.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the handbrake at all!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Driving an automatic takes the enjoyment out of driving for me. I know others will disagree, but you can’t beat a manual gear box.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Not sure about all this ‘takes the enjoyment out of driving stuff’! How often do you ever drive to ‘enjoy it’? Normally it’s trips to the shops, or taking the ifs somewhere etc etc...rarely are you out on the back roads having a blast for fun! And anyway a good auto is plenty of fun to drive anyway and you you can always use the semi auto mode if you really must still change gears yourself Lewis Hamilton stylee.

Autos are the biz and honestly I can’t for the life of me understand anyone who would prefer a manual unless it was on a fast car that they took for a spin at weekends. For day to day driving autos win hands down.

As for using park at the lights....hmm not to sure about that. I tend to pop it into neutral and put the handbrake on. When the time nears to move off it’s foot on the brake, move into drive and then the handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator.

I suppose I’ve always thought of park for use when parked, not just stopped...

Auto all the way for me, I’ve got a Golf GTi dsg it also has the flappy paddles but think I’ve used them for a couple of minutes each time.

It’s also got the auto handbrake but I leave it in drive can’t say it’s bothered me other cars have the brakes on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Auto all the way for me, I’ve got a Golf GTi dsg it also has the flappy paddles but think I’ve used them for a couple of minutes each time.

It’s also got the auto handbrake but I leave it in drive can’t say it’s bothered me other cars have the brakes on.
    What year is your Golf? Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I hired an auto on holiday this year: a cracking BMW 3, or so I thought.

A bargain rate so I went for it. Big mistake. I like to feel my driving and the response of the car I am driving, a typical Italian.

It drove beautifully from the airport on the motorway but when I reached the toll booth I forgot there was no clutch and used my left foot as a clutch.

I could't understand what was going on as I pressed the accelerator at the same time as releasing the ' clutch '.

Back and forth crossing and blocking other lanes until I leaped forward side on to a lorry: luckily the auto brake stopped the car.

It was an electronic auto gear stick with Spanish wording to be fair, so ignore that.

Anyway, an automatic is for me joyless. But good luck if you are happy to leave the driving to your car.
    You being a spanner is hardly the fault of automatic cars though is it? 😂

I agree on the joyless aspect though, I want to drive a car, not a go-kart.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not fussed either way but have driven two identical cars at work both the same year and roughly the same mileage, one being manual, the other auto. Using them both going the same places over a few weeks it was very noticeable that the auto consumed more fuel. Maybe not always the case but certainly with these two cars.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Not sure about all this ‘takes the enjoyment out of driving stuff’! How often do you ever drive to ‘enjoy it’? Normally it’s trips to the shops, or taking the ifs somewhere etc etc...rarely are you out on the back roads having a blast for fun! And anyway a good auto is plenty of fun to drive anyway and you you can always use the semi auto mode if you really must still change gears yourself Lewis Hamilton stylee.

Autos are the biz and honestly I can’t for the life of me understand anyone who would prefer a manual unless it was on a fast car that they took for a spin at weekends. For day to day driving autos win hands down.

As for using park at the lights....hmm not to sure about that. I tend to pop it into neutral and put the handbrake on. When the time nears to move off it’s foot on the brake, move into drive and then the handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator.

I suppose I’ve always thought of park for use when parked, not just stopped...
    I was going to ask about this as I do the same at lights etc, pop it in neutral and unless it is on a gradient I don’t even need the handbrake. Is there a particular approach that is better for the car, the brakes etc?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    What year is your Golf? Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?
    It’s a 2015 so it’s the wet one, I also have a 2017 Octavia which has the dry.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    You being a spanner is hardly the fault of automatic cars though is it? 😂

I agree on the joyless aspect though, I want to drive a car, not a go-kart.

I am mentally scarred by that toll point affair! I wake up in a cold sweat.

The attendant even called for back up, my wife telling me to calm down!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?
    Oooft, yer no wantin' yer VAG dry!