hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Leigh Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a no brainer for him, staying at Celtic and earning 10x the wage is the no brainer and why this won't happen.
    But I'm thinking it's only a loan so he won't lose any money by coming to us. Getting to play regularly, for the club he loves and not dropping his pay - why do you believe he wouldnt jump at that chance? Genuine question.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    But I'm thinking it's only a loan so he won't lose any money by coming to us. Getting to play regularly, for the club he loves and not dropping his pay - why do you believe he wouldnt jump at that chance? Genuine question.
    Some players will waive some of their wages to go on loan and get playing (Naismith did this at Hearts last season IIRC).

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Rather he signed before sunday. Considering the cup is all we have to play for it would be a bit pointless if he was cup tied.
    So long as he doesn't get into the Celtic squad for their game it wouldn't matter (I think).
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Some players will waive some of their wages to go on loan and get playing (Naismith did this at Hearts last season IIRC).
    But even if he decided to do that it would only be until the end of the season? And the chance to get back match fit, playing for Scotland too would be much more financially beneficial for him in the long run than continuing to hang around the fringes way down the pecking order at Celtic?

But even if he decided to do that it would only be until the end of the season? And the chance to get back match fit, playing for Scotland too would be much more financially beneficial for him in the long run than continuing to hang around the fringes way down the pecking order at Celtic?
    I think some players will be willing to take a wee hit in the pocket if it means getting a game and the moral/confidence boost that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    So long as he doesn't get into the Celtic squad for their game it wouldn't matter (I think).
    Yeah if he's not in their squad for their game at the weekend then he'll be fine to play for us in future rounds, provided we win on Sunday of course.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Just like Anthony Stokes. Player gets same wage, Celtc get contribution towards that wage and we get Leigh (who will definitely do a Stokesy v the Huns and keep them waiting even longer for their first major trophy).

Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    As already pointed out he wouldn't take a pay cut if he was on loan. And if he cares? Who knows really. I guess that's down to LG to push for a loan or force his way into Celtic first team again. If not, you might have your answer.
    That isn't strictly true. Celtic might want too much wages and he'd need to waive some because Hibs couldn't afford it.

Appreciate the excitement and I would love it if he rejoined but is there one piece of media that suggests he is coming back or just wishful thinking?

That isn't strictly true. Celtic might want too much wages and he'd need to waive some because Hibs couldn't afford it.

Not sure you understand how the loan system works.

This is what happened with Allan, Celtic wanted more money than we were willing to pay and the loan fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This is what happened with Allan, Celtic wanted more money than we were willing to pay and the loan fell through.
    Yeah, indeed. Allan rightfully wasn't willing to give up money he was due, Leigh would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Not sure you understand how the loan system works.
    I understand perfectly well. His full wages have to be payed or he needs to waive them. Why would Celtic loan him to a division rival for 10% of his wages?

Yeah, indeed. Allan rightfully wasn't willing to give up money he was due, Leigh would be the same.

I understand perfectly well. His full wages have to be payed or he needs to waive them. Why would Celtic loan him to a division rival for 10% of his wages?
    Hopefully, to f*** The The's!

@hibs.net private member
    Let's bring him home now steph's back this could end up being a very memorable window.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Let's bring him home now steph's back this could end up being a very memorable window.
    Too many of us with questionable lifestyles on here for them to announce Griffiths and Steph in one evening.....our hearts couldn't take it😥😂

@hibs.net private member
    What's Saul said about leigh?

Celtc have loaned players to us at a fraction of their wages before.

Name a player who has waived some of their pay to go on loan to another team.

Dear Leigh, please sign. Bang double figures goals in. Take Scotland to the Euros.
    Many thanks.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Dear Leigh, please sign. Bang double figures goals in. Take Scotland to the Euros.
    Many thanks.
    Sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Celtc have loaned players to us at a fraction of their wages before.

Name a player who has waived some of their pay to go on loan to another team.
    Naismith at Hearts?

Naismith at Hearts?
    did he not sit in his house and miss pre season training at hertz to pick up his bonus months payment at Norwich. I'm not sure he made any financial sacrifices

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    did he not sit in his house and miss pre season training at hertz to pick up his bonus months payment at Norwich. I'm not sure he made any financial sacrifices
    I think you are right from memory.

And why not, its a job after all?

These guys need to make as much as they can from football as all the fan adulation in the world doesnt feed the family once they have stopped playing.

He may be on a rumoured £19k a week at Celtic, but just how much of that LG sees after tax and paying for his several kids is up for debate. Anyone thinking he might "waive" his contracted salary is nuts.

Actually this got me thinking, with the regular stories of players earning and losing fortunes - does the SPFA do work with players on how to hold on to the cash, dealing with tax and so on? You would hope so, as many of these young guys dont strike me as particularly savvy about what happens after they stop playing.

Naismith at Hearts?

Nope I don’t think so. He continued to enjoy his full contract from Norwich with Hearts contributing an unspecified %.

No footballer takes a wage hit to go on loan, clubs agre a % of the wage to be paid. We got Allan for free when Ceĺtic wanted Bain but they demanded full wage paid that summer in 2018, Allan knew Celtic were being dicks and was happy to sign the pre contract.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Actually this got me thinking, with the regular stories of players earning and losing fortunes - does the SPFA do work with players on how to hold on to the cash, dealing with tax and so on? You would hope so, as many of these young guys dont strike me as particularly savvy about what happens after they stop playing.
    Not sure but ESPN done a documentary called “Broke” about top level American sports stars. Apparently around 80 odd percent of them file for bankruptcy after retirement because they’ve nothing left. A mixture of frivolous spending, leaches and bad investments.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not sure but ESPN done a documentary called “Broke” about top level American sports stars. Apparently around 80 odd percent of them file for bankruptcy after retirement because they’ve nothing left. A mixture of frivolous spending, leaches and bad investments.
    Financial management and Wellbeing should be a fundamental and mandatory course for footballers who can find themselves going from nothing to tens of thousands of pounds per week. It can be easy for people to feel nothing for those that end up bankrupt or going off the rails giving the life changing impact of such contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    I think Whittaker did the same when he left Norwich to come back.

And the story at the time was that Naismith was on £50k per week at Norwich, and took a pay cut of £10k per week to help the loan deal go through.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    From BBC gossip

Leigh Griffiths may get the chance to relaunch his Celtic career against Partick Thistle this evening as manager Neil Lennon revealed he is in no rush to see the striker leave the club. (Glasgow Times)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

"He's co-ming home,
    He's co-ming home,,
    He's co-ming
    Sparky's coming home!"