hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Another thread ruined by the repetitive "look at me, look at me!" Antics of some.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another thread ruined by the repetitive "look at me, look at me!" Antics of some.
    Who is that? Don't think the thread has been ruined at all. If you dislike the discussion, don't participate. If you wish to discuss the initial subject, quote that post and reply. Threads always go down different routes. That's far more likely that 10 pages on the initial subject.

Slivka is strong but needs to sharpen up his shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    He needs to do a lot more than sharpen up his shooting.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Who is that? Don't think the thread has been ruined at all. If you dislike the discussion, don't participate. If you wish to discuss the initial subject, quote that post and reply. Threads always go down different routes. That's far more likely that 10 pages on the initial subject.
    I also think the thread has been ruined, mostly by you banging on about Boyle on a thread that’s nothing to do with Boyle. Why don’t you start another thread.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I also think the thread has been ruined, mostly by you banging on about Boyle on a thread that’s nothing to do with Boyle. Why don’t you start another thread.
    Yeah, it was just me replying to myself pal. Bore off. It's a forum. Unless an admin says otherwise the thread and posts in it are just fine.

Makes perfect sense to compare a players performance to others when criticising them. Everyone jumped in here on Slivkas back when he was no worse than the fan favourites who nobody says anything about.

Hopefully I can ruin a few more threads for you :)

Yes

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Big yes from me. Classy athletic baller who is only going to get better.

The fact that this debate is happening after him being here for almost 3 years tells its own story.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    The fact that this debate is happening after him being here for almost 3 years tells its own story.
    Does it? Lewis has been here 14 years, won more major trophies than any Hibs player since the famous five and still folk think he's hopeless.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    And passing, and decision making.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure exactly what role he undertakes in midfield. Not a def/mid, not a play maker, doesn't score, not a winger....does the basics ok but that's it really. If we're serious about challenging for top 4 he is not the answer.

I must be watching different games from many people on here.

One or two games apart, he brings very little to the team. A 2010’s version of Neil Orr.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    I must be watching different games from many people on here.

One or two games apart, he brings very little to the team. A 2010’s version of Neil Orr.
    Or Brian Hamilton!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Really he has had 2.5 years and has not improved why will he now?

Does it? Lewis has been here 14 years, won more major trophies than any Hibs player since the famous five and still folk think he's hopeless.
    Lewis secured a starting place Slivka has yet to do that on a consistent basis

Orr was like Stevenson - a reliable, non-flashy full back who played in most games.

Hamilton had a regular place in the team for most of his time here, although most of us couldn't understand why.

Slivka has been in and out of the team, sometimes because there were better players ahead of him but more often because he doesn't play consistently well enough even within a game, let alone over a run of matches.

I'd still keep him as depth or an option off the bench, but I'd also be looking to see if we could do better in the summer before offering him a new deal.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post

But....but... when?

Lewis is consistent, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's always one of the better performers regardless of result. I don't see what Slivka brings. He's doesn't score or assist enough, doesn't really tackle, isn't fast and honestly against Hearts I thought he was poor. There's better out there, I'd give one of our academy boys a chance.
    Last edited by JDT; 31-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Lewis is consistent, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's always one of the better performers regardless of result. I don't see what Slivka brings. He's doesn't score or assist enough, doesn't really tackle, isn't fast and honestly against Hearts I thought he was poor. There's better out there, I'd give one of our academy boys a chance.
    In the immediate aftermath of the derby no-one was in the mood to criticise any of the players but I also thought Slivka was poor. In the first half, he consistently allowed Hickey to run inside him without putting a tackle in, and also missed 2 decent chances (although in his defence at least he got himself in good positions on both occasions).

In the 2nd half he was just part of a midfield who lost control of the game.

Having said all that, I think he's a classy player and therefore will continue to risk getting splinters in my arse by sitting on the fence. I just don't know if he's really going to make it at Hibs.

Hibs have been a shambles since the end of the 2017/18 season when our whole midfield left.

Lennon couldn't put it together again after poor player recruitment that summer. A few months after McGinn left Lennon had a melt down and started selecting random line ups in desperation and this disrupted the players.

Then Hecky came in and steadied the ship until the last 5 games of the season when we found out that we were unable to beat the other top 6 teams.
    Our two defensive mids where moved on in the summer and not replaced.
    That and tactics unsuited to our team continued the poor team form this season and the players pretty much all struggled.

Slivka is only 24 and was barely the age Shaw is now when he arrived. He joined a top class midfield and struggled for game time. After that the midfield disappeared in it's entirety in one window and he was forced to play in the mess described above. I am confident that Jack Ross will make the right decision on his future and if Slivka stays he will improve under the measured management of Ross.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 31-12-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Hibs have been a shambles since the end of the 2017/18 season when our whole midfield left.

Lennon couldn't put it together again after poor player recruitment that summer. A few months after McGinn left Lennon had a melt down and started selecting random line ups in desperation and this disrupted the players.

Then Hecky came in and steadied the ship until the last 5 games of the season when we found out that we were unable to beat the other top 6 teams.
    Our two defensive mids where moved on in the summer and not replaced.
    That and tactics unsuited to our team continued the poor team form this season and the players pretty much all struggled.

Slivka is only 24 and was barely the age Shaw is now when he arrived. He joined a top class midfield and struggled for game time. After that the midfield disappeared in it's entirety in one window and he was forced to play in the mess described above. I am confident that Jack Ross will make the right decision on his future and if Slivka stays he will improve under the measured management of Ross.
    Scott Allan is a good player, he's a first pick. Stevie Mallan is a decent player, he'd be a first pick if we didn't have Scott Allan. Hallberg is the best of the rest so he should probably be considered to be a first pick at this point.

Since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan left, the midfield has had a real stop-gap feel to it. The whole thing reeks of squad players filling in until we get some decent players in, which we never really seem to be nearer addressing.

I quite like all of our players but I just feel like they all need some much better quality beside them to bring the best out in them, and we probably can't afford to carry so much filler.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. A better midfield protects our decent defenders and creates moe for our decent strikers, although we could probably do with a bit more competition up front and proper backup in case of injury.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Scott Allan is a good player, he's a first pick. Stevie Mallan is a decent player, he'd be a first pick if we didn't have Scott Allan. Hallberg is the best of the rest so he should probably be considered to be a first pick at this point.

Since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan left, the midfield has had a real stop-gap feel to it. The whole thing reeks of squad players filling in until we get some decent players in, which we never really seem to be nearer addressing.

I quite like all of our players but I just feel like they all need some much better quality beside them to bring the best out in them, and we probably can't afford to carry so much filler.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. A better midfield protects our decent defenders and creates moe for our decent strikers, although we could probably do with a bit more competition up front and proper backup in case of injury.
    I agree if the midfield had any steel then the defence would have better protection. However on more than a fae occasions the positioning and defending when called upon has been very poor from old and new players and has cost us lots of goals.

On Slivka there maybe a player in there but it is not a consistent one with us we cannot have to many players who turn it on in patches especially if long gaps between them. We have Mallan who is inconsistent and if we are going to persevere I would stick with Mallan.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 31-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

We need to get our hands on the best defensive mid we can afford in January be that loan or otherwise. Someone who can make a real and immediate improvement to our team. Must be someone without injury issues.
    I would prefer that rather than the cash being spread across 3 more average players.
    As you say this would help the whole team to do what they do.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Wonder if Slivka being on the bench today and Whittaker playing instead, as well as Omeonga coming in is a clearer indication he won’t be here next season.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Wonder if Slivka being on the bench today and Whittaker playing instead, as well as Omeonga coming in is a clearer indication he won’t be here next season.
    Ross on tv saying that they weren't sure Slivka was going to be available today so he must having been carrying a knock this week

First Team Breakthrough TheCabbage's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ram2212
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Jack Ross says Slivks not 100%

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Ross on tv saying that they weren't sure Slivka was going to be available today so he must having been carrying a knock this week
    Fair enough in that case, probably would have played instead of Whittaker. Do wonder if he’ll drop down the pecking order with Omeinga now here. Up to Slivka to find some consistency and earn a new deal between now and the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCabbage View Post
    Jack Ross says Slivks not 100%
    Maybe a wee bug rather than a knock.

Don’t want to seem like I have it in for Slivka bumping this thread for a second time in a few days...

Another chance blown tonight. Surely he’s approaching, if not already past the last chance saloon. A decent player on his day, but now think we could probably put his wage towards another squad player who would contribute more on a more consistent basis. Would be happy enough to move him on in this window if we got a replacement and now wouldn’t be renewing unless it was on reduced terms.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The ball was played back to him from the kick off and the first thing he did was boot the ball into touch

Things did not really get better for him but in fairness Hallberg was not that much better

I want Slivka to do well maybe as 90+2 says he was still under the weather but as the OP says patience with Slivka is starting to wear a bit thin

Jack Ross got the half time changes spot on

Credit where credit due