hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I really liked Boyle as a striker when he first joined, but he was a very different player then.

He was probably quicker and folk knew less about him so he had an element of surprise about him. He’s a far more complete player now though.

I think he’s equally comfortable on the wing or up front - as long as he’s getting some sort of service, which he didn’t get today.

With the right back 3 I wouldn’t be against him going to WB again, where he was outstanding.
    Last edited by Smartie; 29-12-2019 at 10:07 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I thought he did more than either Hallberg or Horgan today although that’s not saying much. I wouldn’t renew his contract but there are a whole lot of others I’d punt before him.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

First Team Breakthrough
    He has had plenty chances and like most of us still on the fence... time to move on now. If he is not improving us... and he's not,why should we keep persevering. There are better players out there for Hibs than Slivka.
    It's a No now from me.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really liked Boyle as a striker when he first joined, but he was a very different player then.

He was probably quicker and folk knew less about him so he had an element of surprise about him. He’s a far more complete player now though.

I think he’s equally comfortable on the wing or up front - as long as he’s getting some sort of service, which he didn’t get today.

With the right back 3 I wouldn’t be against him going to WB again, where he was outstanding.

Off topic but to all that.

As for Slivka, overall he’s not delivered on his undoubted potential but our new manager clearly sees something in him. I’ll trust him to make the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Off topic but to all that.

As for Slivka, overall he’s not delivered on his undoubted potential but our new manager clearly sees something in him. I’ll trust him to make the right call.
    Does he see much in him? Or is it a case if there being little else to choose from? My guess is that it’s somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    No
    Agreed, brings next to nothing 90% of the time, the other 10% he really looks a player and then back in his shell for half a dozen games !

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Does he see much in him? Or is it a case if there being little else to choose from? My guess is that it’s somewhere in the middle.
    Yep, Slivka gives us the best balance from the limited quality available. However Slivka is as much part of the midfield problems of a lack of quality and balance as any of the other midfields IMO.

He drifted wide and made a run. He didn’t play as a winger in that game though. He just didn’t. Not even a debate that one. We were playing the diamond, the same as we have every other week.

I’m not even arguing that he’s better striker than he is a winger. But he's definitely a better striker than Oli Shaw and had plenty good games as a striker as well.
    He hasn't had plenty good games as a striker, I bet you can't name 5.

We played closer to a 4-4-2 or 433 Vs Aberdeen and counter attacked. Boyle was the focus of this counter, using his pace wide on the right. You are correct in saying there is no debate, a quick look at his goals shows he was playing wide.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

We played closer to a 4-4-2 or 433 Vs Aberdeen and counter attacked. Boyle was the focus of this counter, using his pace wide on the right. You are correct in saying there is no debate, a quick look at his goals shows he was playing wide.
    Goals against Hearts, 1st overhead volley on the penalty spot (central), 2nd through ball from Allan in the middle of the pitch again central. His 2nd against Aberdeen was a pass straight through the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Goals against Hearts, 1st overhead volley on the penalty spot (central), 2nd through ball from Allan in the middle of the pitch again central. His 2nd against Aberdeen was a pass straight through the middle.
    Yes, Hearts is one of his good games up front. You'll struggle to find others.

Boyle scored twice playing up front at Tynecastle. Played up front home and away against Asteras in our best European result for a generation. Had a decent run playing up front in the championship winning season. Played up front at Celtic Park in our first season back up when they were still ‘invincible’ in what was one of our best performances of the season.

If he’s that bad, why can the best young striker in Europe not get a game in front of him? Tell you why, because even Boyle playing in a position that isn’t his best, offers far more.

As for the whole ‘playing wide’ thing, I can’t believe you won’t acknowledge we played the diamond in that game. As we have in all the others.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 30-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Yes, Hearts is one of his good games up front. You'll struggle to find others.
    And just how many times has played as an out and out striker, the majority of his appearances have been wide but he's proved he can perform up top, I still think he's best right of a front 3. Rahim Sterling was a winger at Liverpool, went to Man City and is one of the best strikers going, Mo Salah, another winger turned goalscorer.

You don't have wingers etc now, it's attacking forwards, able to play across the line. A few games ago Kamberi started left but during the game he was on right putting in a cross, the front 3 interchange, Rangers and Celtic are examples of attacking players with great movement, it's the modern way.

Boyle scored twice playing up front at Tynecastle. Played up front home and away against Asteras in our best European result for a generation. Had a decent run playing up front in the championship winning season. Played up front at Celtic Park in our first season back up when they were still ‘invincible’ in what was one of our best performances of the season.

If he’s that bad, why can the best young striker in Europe not get a game in front of him? Tell you why, because even Boyle playing in a position that isn’t his best, offers far more.
    You've named like 3 games he didn't score or contribute much in. He was pish against Asteras at home, they all were until we changed the formation.

He didn't really have a decent run up front in the championship season, he scored a couple away at Ayr and one at home vs QOTS then was dreadful away vs Dundee United and never played up front again that season.

Boyle is a winger, its so clear for all to see really. I think he is a brilliant player out wide, generally he is totally missing up front, like yesterday. That is undeniably the standard from him up front, the facts back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    And just how many times has played as an out and out striker, the majority of his appearances have been wide but he's proved he can perform up top, I still think he's best right of a front 3. Rahim Sterling was a winger at Liverpool, went to Man City and is one of the best strikers going, Mo Salah, another winger turned goalscorer.

You don't have wingers etc now, it's attacking forwards, able to play across the line. A few games ago Kamberi started left but during the game he was on right putting in a cross, the front 3 interchange, Rangers and Celtic are examples of attacking players with great movement, it's the modern way.
    Yes, Boyle does fine when he is wide in a front 3 or wide in a 4-4-2 etc

You definitely do have wingers now, I can name plenty. You also have plenty of central strikers still, guys like Lewandowski, who can really play that position well. Even in Scotland, Morelos and Edouard are clearly central strikers.

He has played quite a few games as a striker now, he hasn't proved he can perform up top consistently. Yesterday is the norm.

You've named like 3 games he didn't score or contribute much in. He was pish against Asteras at home, they all were until we changed the formation.

He didn't really have a decent run up front in the championship season, he scored a couple away at Ayr and one at home vs QOTS then was dreadful away vs Dundee United and never played up front again that season.

Boyle is a winger, its so clear for all to see really. I think he is a brilliant player out wide, generally he is totally missing up front, like yesterday. That is undeniably the standard from him up front, the facts back that up.
    Never said he wasn’t a winger. He is clearly a better winger.

You’ve got a strange perception of facts in that, generally, if they don’t suit your argument you just ignore them.

Whatever you think of his performance is opinion. What you can’t deny is that he is played up front in a number of high profile games where we achieved good results.

Still, I’m sure Oli will come good and push him out the team eh..

You’ve got a strange perception of facts in that, generally, if they don’t suit your argument you just ignore them.

Whatever you think of his performance is opinion. What you can’t deny is that he is played up front in a number of high profile games where we achieved good results.

Which facts have you presented?

What high profile games are these? I had a look at that Celtic game, basically everything says he played wide right that day with Stokes up front alone?

No need to insult Shaw to suit your argument.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Slivka is a decent squad player, he has got a wee bit of dig about him, scores the odd goal, can get the ball down and pass it about but doesnt do it consistently enough to be a starter. We cant get shot of everyone and he would be one I would keep

Which facts have you presented?

What high profile games are these? I had a look at that Celtic game, basically everything says he played wide right that day with Stokes up front alone?

No need to insult Shaw to suit your argument.
    Christ, I named a number of games and you ignore them and just pretend he was poor, played a different position or didn’t contribute anything. Celtic Park. European tie. Tynecastle. How much more high profile do you want than that?

That day at Parkhead he played up front with Stokes. McGeough actually played the furthest forward of our midfield to nullify them. I know that from being at the game rather than looking at Wikipedia a couple of years later.

Insulting Shaw...don’t think I did that.

Christ, I named a number of games and you ignore them and just pretend he was poor, played a different position or didn’t contribute anything. Celtic Park. European tie. Tynecastle. How much more high profile do you want than that?

That day at Parkhead he played up front with Stokes. McGeough actually played the furthest forward of our midfield to nullify them. I know that from being at the game rather than looking at Wikipedia a couple of years later.

Insulting Shaw...don’t think I did that.
    Those aren't facts. It is your opinion he played well or didn't, not a fact. He certainly didn't contribute much against Asteras other than the shot that Kamberi rebounded in.

I personally look for players to have more than 3 good matches up front before I say they should be playing there. He is a brilliant winger, he should play there.

Also, who uses Wikipedia for match facts

Those aren't facts. It is your opinion he played well or didn't, not a fact. He certainly didn't contribute much against Asteras other than the shot that Kamberi rebounded in.

I personally look for players to have more than 3 good matches up front before I say they should be playing there. He is a brilliant winger, he should play there.

Also, who uses Wikipedia for match facts
    The fact is that he contributed to some great results playing as a striker. That’s not an opinion.

Also, you’re completely ignoring the fact that I agree he is a better winger than a striker. In the last couple of games he’s been the best option to partner Doidge though. A far better option than Shaw.

The fact is that he contributed to some great results playing as a striker. That’s not an opinion.

Also, you’re completely ignoring the fact that I agree he is a better winger than a striker. In the last couple of games he’s been the best option to partner Doidge though. A far better option than Shaw.
    Right, that is true. He played in matches we won. In my opinion playing and contributing well are different things.

I don't think Boyle as a striker is a better opinion than Shaw. Impossible to say really since Shaw has had about 10 minutes gametime this season. Don't really think that is a sign of anything though as he has contributed well many times when he has played. Many more times as a striker than Boyle.

I know you agree he is a better winger but you think he contributes well as a striker. I think he is generally pish as a striker.

Right, that is true. He played in matches we won. In my opinion playing and contributing well are different things.

I don't think Boyle as a striker is a better opinion than Shaw. Impossible to say really since Shaw has had about 10 minutes gametime this season. Don't really think that is a sign of anything though as he has contributed well many times when he has played. Many more times as a striker than Boyle.

I know you agree he is a better winger but you think he contributes well as a striker. I think he is generally pish as a striker.
    You be careful not to insult Boyle to suit your argument eh.

Shaw contributed occasionally about 12-24 months ago. Nothing in the present day, while Boyle has as recently as last Thursday.

You be careful not to insult Boyle to suit your argument eh.

Shaw contributed occasionally about 12-24 months ago. Nothing in the present day, while Boyle has as recently as last Thursday.

Hard to contribute when not playing, don't really think he has done much to merit such little time. Still banging them in against the english championship reverve sides we've been playing.

My argument has been the same for over a year now. Boyle is, generally, missing when playing striker.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

You've hit the nail on the head there unfortuneately there's little point in debating with someone where logic goes out the window.

He decided after a few games that Tom James will be a great Hibs right back without any real evidence to say that' arguing till blue in the face with anyone who thought about waiting a while before coming to that assumption.

He thinks David Gray is vastly overrated and has blamed him for goals that werent even close to being his fault to back up his argument.

He thought James Collins was a good player for Hibs.

He describes Boyle as being horrendous and pish as a striker despite having a good goal scoring rate in the few games hes actually played there.

Everythng Slivka and Oli Shaw do are wonderful, yet everything Mallan does is terrible when the truth lies somewhere in between that.

Logic wont help with any argument im afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head there unfortuneately there's little point in debating with someone where logic goes out the window.

He decided after a few games that Tom James will be a great Hibs right back without any real evidence to say that' arguing till blue in the face with anyone who thought about waiting a while before coming to that assumption.

He thinks David Gray is vastly overrated and has blamed him for goals that werent even close to being his fault to back up his argument.

He thought James Collins was a good player for Hibs.

He describes Boyle as being horrendous and pish as a striker despite having a good goal scoring rate in the few games hes actually played there.

Everythng Slivka and Oli Shaw do are wonderful, yet everything Mallan does is terrible when the truth lies somewhere in between that.

Logic wont help with any argument im afraid.
    At least I manage to keep on topic. Really embarrassing you keep taking personal shots at me. Try reading the forum rules before posting. Was hoping the admin post about personal abuse on here after the sad scenes with Tracy stepping down would stop this but still plenty of posters taking shots at me for just posting my opinion. Sad people.

I never actually said half of those things either. Nice try but a large fail.

I thought James would be a good player, he did start well. Had a few poor games in a poor team and now nowhere to be seen. I do think that thinking someone will be good is better than desperatly hoping they fail because of the league they came from like many on here.

Gray certainly is overrated and I've never blamed him for a goal that wasn't his fault. Fantastic player and I love him. Not Cafu like this place pretends.

I never said Collins was good for Hibs. Undoubtedly a good player though, his record is fantastic in England.

Boyle is a poor striker, his record isn't good while playing there for Hibs. He has been missing much more than he has been good. A fantastic winger though who I'd have starting every week.

Slivka was rubbish yesterday. Not as rubbish as others, though. Mallan has been mostly rubbish for 12 months.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

At least I manage to keep on topic. Really embarrassing you keep taking personal shots at me. Try reading the forum rules before posting. Was hoping the admin post about personal abuse on here after the sad scenes with Tracy stepping down would stop this but still plenty of posters taking shots at me for just posting my opinion. Sad people.

I never actually said half of those things either. Nice try but a large fail.

I thought James would be a good player, he did start well. Had a few poor games in a poor team and now nowhere to be seen. I do think that thinking someone will be good is better than desperatly hoping they fail because of the league they came from like many on here.

Gray certainly is overrated and I've never blamed him for a goal that wasn't his fault. Fantastic player and I love him. Not Cafu like this place pretends.

I never said Collins was good for Hibs. Undoubtedly a good player though, his record is fantastic in England.

Boyle is a poor striker, his record isn't good while playing there for Hibs. He has been missing much more than he has been good. A fantastic winger though who I'd have starting every week.

Slivka was rubbish yesterday. Not as rubbish as others, though. Mallan has been mostly rubbish for 12 months.
    You just took a thread about Slivka off topic and turned it into one about Boyle being a supposedly horrendous striker.

l'll make no apologies for calling out posts that have such unfair and over the top assessments of Hibs players, posted as if the assessments are gospel, whether thats you or anyone else.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    We have the second worst goals conceded in the division. The midfield is a big part of that problem. Slivka isn’t consistently good enough and doesn’t provide the right balance in midfield. Wouldn’t keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    You just took a thread about Slivka off topic and turned it into one about Boyle being a supposedly horrendous striker.

l'll make no apologies for calling out posts that have such unfair and over the top assessments of Hibs players, posted as if the assessments are gospel, whether thats you or anyone else.
    In a thread discussing a Hibs playing I compared his performance to other Hibs players. I didn't take shots at other posters.

Call out my opinion all you want, don't call out me or I will report you. I don't post as if its gospel. I post it, simple as. My opinions are rarely posted without facts to back them up. Then people just reply saying ''hur hur logic doesn't apply with you hur hur'' Yeah, okay pal.

Should I add more of these

Mallan has been rubbish for 12 months IMO FWIW IMHO - Is that better? Would that be taken seriously?

I generally give credit to Hibs players when they are good and generally give them critisim if they are poor. Hardly an outrageous thing to do. What I don't do is rate players because they won daft awards last season or scored some goals in a 6 week period 18 months ago. I judge them week to week.

Would like to think we can do better. Can do a job as a sub/squad player but if we have ambitions to be challenging for Europe annually he’s not a starter for me.

Hibs have to decide if we are replacing the whole midfield ( highly unlikely) or who we are going to build a midfield unit around. If that’s Scotty for example we need to get the other pieces of the jigsaw in place to get the balance for this to work . Nobody in a midfield containing Mallen, Allan, Vicky,Hallberg etc compliment each other which is why we are squeezing square pegs or the diamond as we call it into round holes .