hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where were they today? Boyle is a horrendous striker. Winger or bench.
    Aye he was horrendous on Thursday as well 🙄

2. Log in to remove the advert

Funny he didn't look it on Thursday, there's some amount of p1sh spouted every team we get a poor result and it's always the same posters who start going into full meltdown and want all the players dumped, get a ****ing grip of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Funny he didn't look it on Thursday, there's some amount of p1sh spouted every team we get a poor result and it's always the same posters who start going into full meltdown and want all the players dumped, get a ****ing grip of reality.
    I'm definitely not one of those posters pal, try again.

He was good on Thursday up front, took his goals well. Back to the standard striking performance today. He isn't a striker. He is a winger.

No,1 good game in 5 is no good hopeless today

Agree that Boyle isn’t a striker.

Think Ross only played Boyle there against Hearts as he knew they’d play a high line and Boyle’s pace would cause them problems. Scores two so Ross probably thinks he has to stick with him as a striker again today.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now
    Can’t argue with that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Slivka has had enough chances to cement his place in the team.

Time to use his wages and give someone else a chance.

Said it after the Derby that the guy has been far too inconsistent, and actually just generally poor in large spells, to even consider giving him a new deal right now.

He's a Hibs player until the summer and he has till then to prove someone he has something. But let's be absolutely realistic in that if he left Hibs this week not a single person would care.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now

Horgan is a baller, if we actually played wingers he’d be far more effective. One of the few players i feel can actually make something happen.

Shaw and slivka can leave tomorrow for me.

He was good on Thursday up front, took his goals well. Back to the standard striking performance today. He isn't a striker. He is a winger.

Started as a striker at Montrose and has 36 goals in 87 games for them, was converted to the wing at Dundee due to his pace.

The modern striker isn't like the old fashioned ones, they have to play right across the front line, it's all about using his pace and threatening the defences, whether that's left, right or centre.

Started as a striker at Montrose and has 36 goals in 87 games for them, was converted to the wing at Dundee due to his pace.

The modern striker isn't like the old fashioned ones, they have to play right across the front line, it's all about using his pace and threatening the defences, whether that's left, right or centre.
    Yeah, maybe he's a striker at that level, not this one. He's a right winger. Not a modern forward, not a striker. A right winger. He is very rarely any good anywhere else except a Very good 6 months at wingback.

Yeah, maybe he's a striker at that level, not this one. He's a right winger. Not a modern forward, not a striker. A right winger. He is very rarely any good anywhere else except a Very good 6 months at wingback.
    Five goals since he came back from injury and the quality of the finishes, for each of them, has been superb. Who should we have played up front instead today?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Five goals since he came back from injury and the quality of the finishes, for each of them, has been superb. Who should we have played up front instead today?
    He should play on the right of a front 3, he's a modern day attacking forward, Kamberi off the left and Doidge/A.N Other in the middle.

He should play on the right of a front 3, he's a modern day attacking forward, Kamberi off the left and Doidge/A.N Other in the middle.
    That’s no the only way to play. Especially on a crap, small pitch like that.

Thought the biggest mistake today was Horgan on the left of a diamond. He was poor the other day and should have been replaced by Newell IMO.

Boyle was fine playing in a two a few days ago.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    After today I've changed to a no. I forgot Slivka was on the park as the game passed him by. Mind you, he wasn't the only one.

2 of those goals were as a winger Vs Aberdeen.

He should've played wide, if Ross wanted 2 forwards, start Shaw.

That’s no the only way to play. Especially on a crap, small pitch like that.

Thought the biggest mistake today was Horgan on the left of a diamond. He was poor the other day and should have been replaced by Newell IMO.

Boyle was fine playing in a two a few days ago.
    The pitch is no smaller than others, their wingers did fine.

2 of those goals were as a winger Vs Aberdeen.

He should've played wide, if Ross wanted 2 forwards, start Shaw.
    The point I was making is that the finishes were quality. As for Aberdeen, he played on the right of a diamond. Not as a winger.

Start Shaw who hasn’t kicked a ball, instead of the guy that just scored two goals playing up top at Tynecastle. Lol.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 29-12-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Boyle for me is at his best when he either recieves the ball wide and comes inside or starts wide and makes runs between centre half and full back to recieve the ball. Hes becoming a more intelligent footballer and no longer just a "runner"

Left by mutual consent!
    If after 2.5 seasons this is a question then I think that says it all.

@hibs.net private member
    I really like Boyle at Right Wing Back. He is definitely more effective running from wide and deep but as we saw at the Derby he can be useful through the middle. He is far harder to find with the ball through the middle though and , like today, can be completely anonymous in the centre. Saying that Doidge wasn't any better.

The point I was making is that the finishes were quality. As for Aberdeen, he played on the right of a diamond. Not as a winger.

Start Shaw who hasn’t kicked a ball, instead of the guy that just scored two goals playing up top at Tynecastle. Lol.
    His 2 goals are a massive exception to the fact that has been proven many times. He has had many many more bad games than good ones as a striker. Shaw is a better striker so yes, I'd have started him over Boyle up front. I would have had Boyle out wide where he is useful.

Look at where Boyle starts his run from for first goal Vs Aberdeen. Dictionary definition of the wing. He played as a winger.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Boyle can be very effective as a striker OR a winger and 4 of his five goals this season have all come from runs through the centre of the pitch so its not correct to say he cant play as a striker.

You are right though that him and Scott Allan were terrible today. I dont think a pass from Allan ever found its intended target.

As for Slivka well he was just as bad, the difference for him is that he doesnt have regular match winning performances that Allan and Boyle do.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I really like Boyle at Right Wing Back. He is definitely more effective running from wide and deep but as we saw at the Derby he can be useful through the middle. He is far harder to find with the ball through the middle though and , like today, can be completely anonymous in the centre. Saying that Doidge wasn't any better.
    Boyle moved out wide today towards the end of the first half and proved less of a problem to Livvy when he did.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 29-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Boyle can be very effective as a striker OR a winger and 4 of his five goals this season have all come from runs through the centre of the pitch so its not correct to say he cant play as a striker.

You are right though that him and Scott Allan were terrible today. I dont think a pass from Allan ever found its intended target.

As for Slivka well he was just as bad, the difference for him is that he doesnt have regular match winning performances that Allan and Boyle do.
    Aside from Tynecastle, when has Boyle played well as a striker for Hibs?

Couple of goals away at Ayr maybe? Otherwise I'm struggling. As textbook a winger as possible. Has to play there or off the bench.

His 2 goals are a massive exception to the fact that has been proven many times. He has had many many more bad games than good ones as a striker. Shaw is a better striker so yes, I'd have started him over Boyle up front. I would have had Boyle out wide where he is useful.

Look at where Boyle starts his run from for first goal Vs Aberdeen. Dictionary definition of the wing. He played as a winger.
    He drifted wide and made a run. He didn’t play as a winger in that game though. He just didn’t. Not even a debate that one. We were playing the diamond, the same as we have every other week.

I’m not even arguing that he’s better striker than he is a winger. But he's definitely a better striker than Oli Shaw and had plenty good games as a striker as well.

Apologies for the daily record link but....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...favour-9181541

5 goals in 8 games from October 2016 to Dec 2016 was the only time Boyle's really had a shot as a striker apart from recently, and he was good back then.

Yes first division but prolific. I can see why he is preferred on the wing but he has the ability to do both as previous career, 2016 and the last month proves.

Horrendous as a striker though? Cmon more unbalanced over the top analysis that people might believe due to the authoritative nature its being posted in.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 29-12-2019 at 10:11 PM.

He drifted wide and made a run. He didn’t play as a winger in that game though. He just didn’t. Not even a debate that one. We were playing the diamond, the same as we have every other week.

I’m not even arguing that he’s better striker than he is a winger. But he's definitely a better striker than Oli Shaw and had plenty good games as a striker as well.

A definite No from me.
    The guy has had far, far, far too long now to demonstrate that he can impact games regularly and consistently.