hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right. When we took it out of the tray the meat part was in quite a solid mass. It wasn't just liquid as with most pies. Even so and at this late stage I was against bunging it on a baking sheet and into the oven. I was outvoted.
    All I'm saying is the instructions should have said "Remove all packaging but leave in silver tray". I'm secretly hoping Mr Bell will take pity and send us a voucher.
    The pie was good - well filled with steak.
    Aha quality story that!!

Well at least on the positive side maybe your vote might count for more next time around

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Right. When we took it out of the tray the meat part was in quite a solid mass. It wasn't just liquid as with most pies. Even so and at this late stage I was against bunging it on a baking sheet and into the oven. I was outvoted.
    All I'm saying is the instructions should have said "Remove all packaging but leave in silver tray". I'm secretly hoping Mr Bell will take pity and send us a voucher.
    The pie was good - well filled with steak.
    I want to know who the idiots that disagreed with you were 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Two years on, see my OP’s - summarises this year excellently.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Two years on, see my OP’s - summarises this year excellently.
    You really need to learn to cook
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    You really need to learn to cook
    I genuinely could produce a good meal in a heartbeat. Not sure I could tell someone that I am taking over in their home sadly.

@hibs.net private member
    You’ve got to get them to yours next time and shoe them how it’s done? That sound horrendous- I can’t believe anyone would use bacon lardons as a sub for kilted sausage. Straight red card and sine die ban for that alone.

What does the wife say about it? Is it one of the situations where she thinks it’s normal cos that how she was brought up?

@hibs.net private member
    Me & the Mrs have had tears streaming down our faces reading these.

Her reply after p1$$1ng herself laughing "what other $h1t3 is on this Hibs site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Couple of years back my mate drove from lincolshire to Kent to his mother in law's for xmas dinner. Wasn't looking forward to it.

On the journey down he said to his wife that he wasn't looking forward to seeing ******* burnt sausages on the plate as usual.

When the dinner arrived his 5 year old who'd been in the back of the car picked a sausage off his plate and said Dad,dad it's ******* burnt sausages again. There was only about a dozen folk at the table

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    You’ve got to get them to yours next time and shoe them how it’s done? That sound horrendous- I can’t believe anyone would use bacon lardons as a sub for kilted sausage. Straight red card and sine die ban for that alone.

What does the wife say about it? Is it one of the situations where she thinks it’s normal cos that how she was brought up?
    They are in Ireland and obviously we are in Scotland. See to be honest, I’m not going over next Christmas. Apart from seeing the joy on the the kid’s faces it’s quite frankly all about the Christmas dinner for me.

They can’t even talk properly, they all just grunt and gesture and literally shout when communicating.

I had very little to do with dinner this year, but I was out voted and we had Turkey. The boys brined it for 36 hours, cooked it upside down, flipped it, rested it and it was still dry.

It’s turkey. It’s crap. It can get in the sea. Even then it wouldn’t be moist.

As can sprouts . Unless you lather them in bacon fat they’re just ****.
    Last edited by Jones28; 27-12-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I had very little to do with dinner this year, but I was out voted and we had Turkey. The boys brined it for 36 hours, cooked it upside down, flipped it, rested it and it was still dry.

I think there is a reason we only really make turkey a centrepiece dish once a year. If it wasn't for it being tradition I'm sceptical many people would choose to eat it.

I had to throw something together last minute this year and just opted for a big chicken, paid a bit more for a corn fed, free range, gets a massage and a can of lager every hight one from the butchers and it was infinitely better than any turkey I've ever had.

The biggest issue with turkeys is they are selectively bred to have a ludicrous amount of white meat on them now. Much like supermarket chickens that inevitably leads to a reduction in tenderness and flavour.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Grew up the son of a butcher and we never once had a Turkey for Christmas dinner, as an adult I have never cooked one at Christmas either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Grew up the son of a butcher and we never once had a Turkey for Christmas dinner, as an adult I have never cooked one at Christmas either.
    Dusty Springfield great song

Sprouts are brilliant, the best part of the meal along with stuffing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Aw you’re not one of those are you?

I thought you were sound.

🤣
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I genuinely think turkey is my favourite meat. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that concurs admittedly 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Not sure the pre-fab versions are up to much 🤔

Blog Entries
    Sprouts, almost cooked, mashed into crispy lardons or crispy bacon and chestnuts...... refried and finished with cream ...... the dog’s bollocks.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    There’s not a chance in hell I’m doing it next year. Lamb and maybe a goose.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Cook down some cranberries and let them cool then mix into some melted butter. Ease up the turkey skin and smear the mixture all over the top of the breast. Lovely succulent tender turkey.
    Anyone who doesn't have half a rasher of streaky bacon on each chipolata is a heathen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Another year and another plate of absolute ***** served up at the in-laws. Absolute *****!

How do you break it to the wife that you simply can't stomach it every year?
    Good luck for this year 🤣

Brother in law has started the Turkey brining process for the year.

I look forward to it still being dry despite days of faff.

I wanted to get goose and ham but I was out-voted.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Just read back through this thread as it’s an old favourite of mine.

The “eating the sticky toffee puddings as they are to save cooking them” has to be an all-time Hibs.net highlight.

I'm on pudding and veg duties this year. We are having 2 dinners, buffet style affair at my sister's today as she is working tomorrow then a full dinner tomorrow at my parents.

Raspberry pavlova and a Bailey's cheesecake made this morning. Thankfully my sister is going down the chicken route rather than turkey. Turkey, as per my previous posts on this thread, is ***** and if it wasn't for tradition no one would eat it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Lamb, Ham & Chicken this year all cooked by myself again!!!
    Really wanted to do **** all cooking this year at home but no chance of that.

I’m making a trifle this year.

How many different ways can you get booze in?

Sherry in the bottom with the ladyfingers, baileys in the custard, amaretto in the cream?

I’ve done the jelly already and would probably draw a line at putting vodka in it.

Sir Alex Ferguson