hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We played in normal kits in 1991

Looks like 1992 was when away kits started to be worn

My mind may be playing tricks on me but I'm sure in that 1991 game we wore white shorts in the 1st half but changed to green at HT. If the ref had ordered that it maybe explain why away kits became normal practice the following year.

I don't think anyone could argue that this year's Celtic kit with the white sleeves and green socks isn't an obvious colour clash with a Hibs home top.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My mind may be playing tricks on me but I'm sure in that 1991 game we wore white shorts in the 1st half but changed to green at HT. If the ref had ordered that it maybe explain why away kits became normal practice the following year.

I don't think anyone could argue that this year's Celtic kit with the white sleeves and green socks isn't an obvious colour clash with a Hibs home top.
    Spot on

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/19...ion+-+Pictures

@hibs.net private member
    No from me too. I like purple as no other Scottish clubs have it and as we were first to wear the green our second top should also be a first too. Apart from that it looks great and white and black strips are ten a penny

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    We always get pumped in purple.

Any famous victories in that colour?

Ditch it!

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Jack Ross wears a dark navy jacket/gilet combo on the touchline, albeit not Hibs branded gear, but I reckon a dark navy away kit would be pretty smart.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

Ditch it!
    Plenty, see my earlier posts

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Pray for the purple

I like it as a second kit but I was a proud owner and wearer of the original Bukta one all those years ago.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    **** no.

We should ditch yellow. Horrible colour.
    100%

Never liked our yellow strips. Our 2015/16 purple one was a cracker, one of my all time favorite away strips.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Slurple the purple😋

Delete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple should stay. It’s in Hibernian tartan, that’s an official club colour to me, much more than ‘sunshine on leith ‘ yellow.
    White away kits always look smart but not as striking as purple

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    It was installed IIRC because it was Tom Harts wife’s favourite colour and was first worn Sporting Lisbon away in a 1-2 defeat ( Sporting Lisbon wear green and white hoops) which many consider to be one of Turnbulls Tornadoes finest ever performances and one of our overall best ever European performances abroad as a club setting us up perfectly for a handsome home victory of 6-1 in the return leg at Easter Road

My late father in law was employed by the club to paint the Directors Box in the old main stand purple a task unofficially supervised by a rather foul mouthed Eddie Turnbull as he used to laughingly recall

I would keep it but purple top white sleeves

We have a winner. We should always just have home green with white sleeves, away purple with white sleeves. Simple.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sorry but white away with green sleeves.... Classic Hibs for me. Every time. Purple is rubbish. Had its day.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Bin purple.

Hibs are green and white only. 💚

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Definitely. Horrible colour too close to Hearts too. Not for me. Tacky looking.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
    Tell that to the Romans for whom it was a colour of status. Purple was the most expensive dye. It was associated with regality and was thought to protect those who wore it.
    Mind you according to the Vatican.........
    Purple: Worn during the Advent and Lent seasons, purple reflects sorrow and suffering. Sorrow as the faithful await the arrival of the Savior (Jack Ross?) and suffering to mark Jesus Christ's 40 days in the desert (Lent) (Or Doidge's initial goal drought?)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Tell that to the Romans for whom it was a colour of status. Purple was the most expensive dye. It was associated with regality and was thought to protect those who wore it.
    Mind you according to the Vatican.........
    Purple: Worn during the Advent and Lent seasons, purple reflects sorrow and suffering. Sorrow as the faithful await the arrival of the Savior (Jack Ross?) and suffering to mark Jesus Christ's 40 days in the desert (Lent) (Or Doidge's initial goal drought?)
    https://youtu.be/E3OpgwpgqXA

Is it officially club colours? For me we’re green and white and nothing more, always have been, always will be. For the record I like the purple though for away tops as long as it’s kept to a limit. It’s special because of its uniqueness, realising a new one every couple of seasons would damage that imo. I’ve always been keen on yellow as well which never seems to get the same love as the purple does. None of the luminous rubbish though, just the old fashioned Norwich City style- 99/00, 03/04 up there with some of our best ever efforts. For a club with such heritage we’ve always been limited in terms of colour and style that we can work with but that’s never held the club back from working with manufacturers to produce some absolutely outstanding aways over the years and I don’t see that changing yet, maybe there’s just something a bit more special about a Hibs top? If we ever did pursue a path we’ve not yet explored I’d like to see Navy given a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    How's that then?

In Lugton's books he mentions that whenever (19 Century) Hibs got to a final we'd wear blue shorts. Also remember us wearing blue shorts in the Anglo-Scottish Cup, against Bristol City.
    Must have been in the away leg then coz we didn't in the home tie, I was there and I doubt it's something I would have forgotten

Far from ditching purple I would like it if Hibs would include it in the badge ... perhaps change the colour of the castle to white with a purple background ... That way Hibbies who don't live in Edinburgh could wear scarves with a bit of purple in them and not get confused with Celtic fans, which happened to me a load of times back in the day living where I do .... That's why even now I prefer to wear my Hibs tartan scarf than simply a plain green & white one.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Peerple is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Peerple is fine
    We are the peerple

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Must have been in the away leg then coz we didn't in the home tie, I was there and I doubt it's something I would have forgotten

Far from ditching purple I would like it if Hibs would include it in the badge ... perhaps change the colour of the castle to white with a purple background ... That way Hibbies who don't live in Edinburgh could wear scarves with a bit of purple in them and not get confused with Celtic fans, which happened to me a load of times back in the day living where I do .... That's why even now I prefer to wear my Hibs tartan scarf than simply a plain green & white one.
    https://www.britannical.com/products...-college-scarf
    This may well interest you, £45 but.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

Ditch it!
    This one was pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    https://www.britannical.com/products...-college-scarf
    This may well interest you, £45 but.

I would prefer it if we had a nod to the colour somewhere like the badge to make it more identifiable as a Hibs colour. I know that doesn't sit well with a lot of folk, but when I wear a Hibs scarf, which I don't these days unless I'm going to ER, I want folk to know I'm a Hibs fan and not presume I support Celtic, which like it or not is everybody's default position when they see a green and white scarf, unless its being worn in Edinburgh.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 29-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Purple, a quite dark purple, with a green broad diagonal stripe, maybe with a thin white border, make us look like we are a South American team.

Obviously the players would need to step up and adopt swarthier facial complexions. Definitely deep tanning and maybe even facial tattoos. Stereotypes don’t create themselves.

Serious about the first paragraph though, that would be the smartest second strip ever, and I say that as a proud owner of a purple Bukta!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!
    Have we ever won a memorable game wearing purple? I remember McManus scoring a peach at Parkhead with the purple top and Fletch from the corner of the box top corner but can’t remember any big wins wearing it? I prefer white and green or even yellow tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Have we ever won a memorable game wearing purple? I remember McManus scoring a peach at Parkhead with the purple top and Fletch from the corner of the box top corner but can’t remember any big wins wearing it? I prefer white and green or even yellow tbh.
    You can't really make that argument though. We have only worn a purple away kit infrequently and when we have until recent times it was usually only against teams, like Celtic, who we wouldn't be expected to beat no matter what colour we were wearing

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    You can't really make that argument though. We have only worn a purple away kit infrequently and when we have until recent times it was usually only against teams, like Celtic, who we wouldn't be expected to beat no matter what colour we were wearing
    I wasn’t making an argument mate I’m racking my brain thinking of a big win in purple is all. We might have won by a large margin in Dundee one season I think. We beat Celtic at Parkhead wearing Yellow (three one) and black (danny Galbraith)

Absolutely not.

Yes, and yellow