hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love it. I almost want to have sex with the current one
    🤣

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t understand what the relevance to the club is. And yes, I also agree with another poster that Yellow is not only irrelevant, but very unattractive also.

Arguably, looking back over old Hibs badges, Gold or Red appear to be more in line with traditional club colours.

And yet somewhere deep in my brain I seem to recollect seeing a deep purple in a Hibs badge. Or perhaps as another poster also suggested, purple has been blended into our club somehow is now part of the psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The reverse white/green doesn't work when we actually need it. Against Celtic.

I'd ditch yellow in a shot. I've never liked any of the yellow kits we have had and I'm not mad keen on black either but we have had a few half decent ones. I've always thought of purple as our alternative colour and most of the purple kits we have had have been decent.

The biggest disappointment for me is always our 3rd kits. They should be a chance to do something a bit different and they are invariably a bit crap. That luminous thing last year and the most boring football top ever this year. I'd like to see us do a recreation of a classic home or away kit as a 3rd kit every other year.
    The reverse white green was our away kit in the late 80s. A time when both clubs still wore their homes kits when we played each other though. As for your last point, a reworked old away kit would do for the third kit but not sure how a reworked old home kit would work. What would the point be?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    That's the one that springs to mind for me too - but perhaps that only goes to show how rarely we win while wearing purple!

Personally I always feel more confident when we take to the field in our traditional kit - one of the world's finest football kits and the reason more than ne person I've met started supporting Hibs.
    I think that game was more memorable for it being the first time we’d won there in donkeys years. Pandemonium behind the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Had i replied before you,Billy, i would have said much the same on the origin/reasons for our purple number.
    I would add that Mrs Hart may have liked purple to replace the Green as our main colour.
    A rumour that was rife at the time.
    She also wrote the lyrics( i think) to the B side of the recording of "Turnbull's Tornadoes".

I dont mind the purple.
    I suppose we have got used to it over the years
    I always had one of them in my holiday luggage, along with the Green and a Scotland top.

As for Eddie supervising the painting of the directors box.

Back in the day, i was a shop steward in the building game.
    Had Eddie been a site agent/foreman, i think i would have had the men "on the cobbles"

Now and again ,Tom Hart would give the players a surprise bonus (tax free)
    The Lisbon game would have been on of them.
    Purple notes maybe !
    Bit pedantic but I’m sure you’ll find Turnbull’s Tornadoes was the B side. Hibernian - Give us a goal was the A side.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Guess what she’s getting for Christmas then
    That's the best bit mate - she buys the strip for me then wears it herself

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    It was installed IIRC because it was Tom Harts wife’s favourite colour and was first worn Sporting Lisbon away in a 1-2 defeat ( Sporting Lisbon wear green and white hoops) which many consider to be one of Turnbulls Tornadoes finest ever performances and one of our overall best ever European performances abroad as a club setting us up perfectly for a handsome home victory of 6-1 in the return leg at Easter Road

My late father in law was employed by the club to paint the Directors Box in the old main stand purple a task unofficially supervised by a rather foul mouthed Eddie Turnbull as he used to laughingly recall

I would keep it but purple top white sleeves

I remember it well Billy and even dyed my shoes purple as a consequence. I worked as a 16YO at DS Crawford's in Frederick Street at the time and dried them in an empty oven, platform shoes and wide bottomed trousers, the fashion at that time was dire, but Hibs were magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The reverse white green was our away kit in the late 80s. A time when both clubs still wore their homes kits when we played each other though. As for your last point, a reworked old away kit would do for the third kit but not sure how a reworked old home kit would work. What would the point be?
    The same as the point of the 3rd kit this season. A money maker. I'd wager we'd sell more of a 3rd kit that was a reworking of the classic 50s or 70s kit than that grey t shirt we currently have.

Man City wore a sky blue retro kit in the Community Shield this year which was very smart. NFL teams also release throwback kits from time to time which are reworking of their classic kits, old logos etc and generally look better than the current kits.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    That's the best bit mate - she buys the strip for me then wears it herself
    I get socks mate. Probably for a similar reason 😫

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The same as the point of the 3rd kit this season. A money maker. I'd wager we'd sell more of a 3rd kit that was a reworking of the classic 50s or 70s kit than that grey t shirt we currently have.

Man City wore a sky blue retro kit in the Community Shield this year which was very smart. NFL teams also release throwback kits from time to time which are reworking of their classic kits, old logos etc and generally look better than the current kits.
    I like that thinking, I'm 50 and haven't had a Hibs strip for probably 25 years but I would definitely think about buying one that was a replica of the 70s purple with white sleeves one.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think the third kit could be a reworked home top in dark green with green sleeves. Dark green shorts and socks. I thought the away kit in 2006 2007 was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I get socks mate. Probably for a similar reason 😫
    😂😂

The only thing with the third kit is that I believe it’s a UEFA requirement if we qualify for any of their competitions. I’m not sure they’d sanction that kit if it bore too much resemblance to the home kit. As a novelty/money maker if we’re not in Europe I guess it’s fair enough. You could be drying up the well a bit for future home designs though. Still think the three kits should be different colours.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    Doubt it, change strips only came in for Euro ties. We have always been green and white of various shades.
    Nothing to do with modern practises re strips and change strips. Purple as a colour is part of our clubs history going back way further than the day some wee tadpole hit the bullseye a few decades back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    The OP is obviously quite bonkers - never get rid of the purple.....

Indeed,it would really **** up our tartan too !

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Purple or reverse kits for me, my favourite two away options. This seasons kit reversed with a darker green would be absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I don’t understand what the relevance to the club is. And yes, I also agree with another poster that Yellow is not only irrelevant, but very unattractive also.

Arguably, looking back over old Hibs badges, Gold or Red appear to be more in line with traditional club colours.

And yet somewhere deep in my brain I seem to recollect seeing a deep purple in a Hibs badge. Or perhaps as another poster also suggested, purple has been blended into our club somehow is now part of the psyche.

During the 70s members of the Glasgow HSC used to wear green and purple scarfs.
    Not saying they were the only ones ,but just something that jogs ma memory.
    If they had a branch badge/banner ,possibly colour purple was there too.

Other Deep Purple back then would be Ian Gillan singing Black Night

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Sorry struggling to remember any purple strips or purple badges before 1972

I remember the yams brought back a rhubarb and custard number from the 1870s

😁

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Nothing to do with modern practises re strips and change strips. Purple as a colour is part of our clubs history going back way further than the day some wee tadpole hit the bullseye a few decades back.
    Naw it wasnae
    45 AND RISING

Purple is a glorious colour.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    You cannae please all of the people all of the time. I really like the all yellow kits, and I'm not mad on purple, though I really like the current one.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Purple is brilliant for an alternative colour. The first Hibs strip I ever owned was the original purple with white sleeves and it was a cracking strip, I wish we would produce another one. And as another poster said it works superbly in the Hibs tartan.

As for being close to maroon as another poster said ... well that's just bollox

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=Pretty Boy;6017631]The reverse white/green doesn't work when we actually need it. Against Celtic.

I've been to many Hibs v Celtic clashes over the years, and never had a problem differentiating between a team in green strips and a team in green and white hoops.

Playing wise, Hibs don't really need an 'away' strip, if it wasn't for fashion/commercial purposes.

Love Purple and green.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I'm guessing the style we wore for the Sporting Lisbon game was the same as the classic Tornadoes strip except with a purple body instead of green?.
    Exactly that. My first football top - when I was 5 or 6, my mum took me to the sports shop in Bathgate. For my birthday money and what stock he had, I narrowed the choice down to the wales kit (two yellow stripes down each side into the shorts - which I thought was ace and a nice purple top). For some reason I chose the purple one. Only when I came home and put it on did my older brothers congratulate me on my first Hibs top!! I always thought Hibs wore green, so I was even prouder of my decision.

When did Hibs last play Celtic with both teams playing in green and white?

I'd bin purple and yellow in an instant. Green at home, reverse kit when any hint of a clash.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    When did Hibs last play Celtic with both teams playing in green and white?
    We played in normal kits in 1991

Looks like 1992 was when away kits started to be worn

No. And I think you may be colour blind.

Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely. Horrible colour too close to Hearts too. Not for me. Tacky looking.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk