hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs original first team strip wasn't the hoops. It was an all green top with a gold harp badge and white shorts or knickerbockers or whatever they called them. That photo of Hibs wearing hoops is from 1880's.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Not the case. That photo with the hoops shows the original kit.

"The first rules of Hibernian Football Club in 1875 stated that the players should provide at their own expense; Caps, white Guernsey's displaying a Harp on the left breast, and white trousers with green stripes.
    However there is no evidence to support that any game took place with the players wearing this apparel.
    After only half a dozen games or so, by the start of the 1876/77 season, photographs show the team wearing green and white hooped jerseys with the letters 'HFC' displayed in large black letters on the chest, accompanied with white trousers. It is unlikely, particularly in the early days, that a club from a deprived area of the city would have had two sets of jerseys. Therefore, most historians now think that the hooped jersey was the first to be worn by Hibernian"

From the Hibernian Historical Trust website. The photo is from 1876.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hibs original first team strip wasn't the hoops. It was an all green top with a gold harp badge and white shorts or knickerbockers or whatever they called them. That photo of Hibs wearing hoops is from 1880's.

According to the link it was all white

Trail blazers again even before Real Madrid.

Please see my link Hibs were formed 1875 though went out of business briefly in 1891
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-03-2020 at 06:08 PM.

(Heated debate time)

I don't trust the Hibs Historical Trust. They follow a line that has our name as "Hibernians", which goes against everything I've ever known or been taught about the club either by reading or by what old geezers told me.

We've always been "Hibernian" and our first strip was all green with a gold badge.

I did once upon a time have a chance to look the SFA's register of clubs' players. Old school ledgers with a page for each club. Hibs were registered as "Hibernian" from 1875 onwards.

Just saying - I don't necessarily trust the errm trust or think that they have the last word on things.

From memory Lugton also differs with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    According to the link it was all white

Trail blazers again even before Real Madrid.

Please see my link Hibs were formed 1875 though went out of business briefly in 1891

Hibs didn't go out of business because we weren't a business, all clubs were amateur at the time.

We struggled to fulfil fixtures because we lost the lease to the original ER which was just beside where the Hibs club is now. Trinity Hospital who owned that land sold it to a housing company who set about building Buchanan Street and the old ER was gone.
    We played some games as Leith Hibernian and some fixtures away but missed many and lost our SFA membership because of that. The club was "resusitated" by the Farmer family along with Micheal Whelahan and Owen Brannigan when a lease for Drum Park was bought, Drum Park being where ER is now.

Hibs didn't go out of business because we weren't a business, all clubs were amateur at the time.

We struggled to fulfil fixtures because we lost the lease to the original ER which was just beside where the Hibs club is now. Trinity Hospital who owned that land sold it to a housing company who set about building Buchanan Street and the old ER was gone.
    We played some games as Leith Hibernian and some fixtures away but missed many and lost our SFA membership because of that. The club was "resusitated" by the Farmer family along with Micheal Whelahan and Owen Brannigan when a lease for Drum Park was bought, Drum Park being where ER is now.
    Due to mismanagement HIBS became homeless and temporarily ceased operating in 1891

The 1888/89 season started badly not helped by an early Scottish cup exit

The club started to struggle financially and support starts to disappear following a run of bad results and less and less matches being played in Edinburgh

Secretary Richard Payne decides against attending a meeting in Glasgow to discuss the future of the game. As a result the greens are not included in the newly formed Scottish League whilst Hearts and St Bernard’s are

Hibs played their first match at Easter Road on 4th February 1893

Despite this interruption the club today views the period since 1875 as one continued history and counts the honours won between 1875 and 1891 including the 1887 Scottish Cup

The club were admitted to the Scottish League in 1893 although they had to win the second division twice before being elected into the First Division in 1895

Anyway back to the original question: What colour was the very first HIBS strip?

100 Years of HIBS Page 37 there is an image taken in 1876 of the green hoops and the black HFC across the chest

” Father Hannan officially launched Hibernian Football Club....Father Hannan in turn handed over a set of strips white with green trimming and a harp on the breast”

The making of Hibernian The harp awakes Alan Lugton
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-03-2020 at 07:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Due to mismanagement HIBS became homeless and temporarily ceased operating in 1891

The 1888/89 season started badly not helped by an early Scottish cup exit

The club started to struggle financially and support starts to disappear following a run of bad results and less and less matches being played in Edinburgh

Secretary Richard Payne decides against attending a meeting in Glasgow to discuss the future of the game. As a result the greens are not included in the newly formed Scottish League whilst Hearts and St Bernard’s are

Hibs played their first match at Easter Road on 4th February 1893

Despite this interruption the club today views the period since 1875 as one continued history and counts the honours won between 1875 and 1891 including the 1887 Scottish Cup

The club were admitted to the Scottish League in 1893 although they had to win the second division twice before being elected into the First Division in 1895

Anyway back to the original question: What colour was the very first HIBS strip?

100 Years of HIBS Page 37 there is an image taken in 1876 of the green hoops and the black HFC across the chest

The historical kits site has Hibs very first kit in 1875 as all white. Green and white hoops gfollwed a season/year later.

As far as "Hibs purple" goes I much prefer it to "Hibs yellow"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    The historical kits site has Hibs very first kit in 1875 as all white. Green and white hoops gfollwed a season/year later.

As far as "Hibs purple" goes I much prefer it to "Hibs yellow"
    Please see my earlier posts

Purple pour moi

Cant see us disagreeing in that post Billy. Hibernian ceased operating, not went out of business as we were not a business. We were the same as all clubs, an amateur concern. Club members did arrange matches albeit under different names.

An example of a club going out of business look no further than the old sticky buns. You could also look at the old Heart of Midlothian going bankrupt in 1905 and starting up again as "The Heart of Midlothian " which is the current bunch. Bet they were purple with rage when they let their club die.

Cant see us disagreeing in that post Billy. Hibernian ceased operating, not went out of business as we were not a business. We were the same as all clubs, an amateur concern. Club members did arrange matches albeit under different names.

An example of a club going out of business look no further than the old sticky buns. You could also look at the old Heart of Midlothian going bankrupt in 1905 and starting up again as "The Heart of Midlothian " which is the current bunch. Bet they were purple with rage when they let their club die.

Did not know anything about the Hearts doing walking away and I used to be a yam but that is another story a lifetime ago

GGTTH

Did not know anything about the Hearts doing walking away and I used to be a yam but that is another story a lifetime ago

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Ha Ha

I take it going into administration ( Hearts 2013) is not the same as going out of business in that case? 😂
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-03-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Loved all of the purple shirts apart from the lilac one a few years back. Green, white and purple are unmistakably Hibs colours as far as I’m concerned. Very much fits in with the earlier point and being able to differentiate with Celtic.

I’d be more than happy if we alternated white and purple away strips, although I suppose the former would depend on how much white is in the Celtic strip that year.

I take it going into administration ( Hearts 2013) is not the same as going out of business in that case?
    No. 1905 was a bankruptcy, deid, gone, kaput, no-more, an ex-club, vanished. Started again as a "The". That club, 1905 one, survived administration.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Not bothered either way but always thought ( not that the SFA would pass it ) Hibs home top green with white sleeves and away white with green sleeves.

GGTTH
    This!!!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    T'm a fan of the purple away strip, through and through, alhough I think we could be more creative with it.

At the risk of contradicting myself however, I think there are some rules, not sure if Scottish or UEFA, about contrast. It is almost based on what black and white TV was like, and I wonder whether purple with white sleeves (which sounds sumptious) would still be seen as lacking contrast with green and white hoops?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

For the record:

Hibs away with white body and green sleeves is Ertha Kitt ... never liked it.

I hated the green and purple striped one ... and I actually bought one.

This years purple effort is rank.

Thank **** none of you know where I live

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    For the record:

Given that it's not hard to get your Nat King in Galashiels Nae Nookie you must be easily identified as the one permanently sad looking bloke walking about the toon.

For the record:

I agree about the white body and green sleeves. It's rank. Last years away top was awful and the 'classic' Adidas one from the early 90s was the same.

The green and purple stripes was outstanding though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I agree about the white body and green sleeves. It's rank. Last years away top was awful and the 'classic' Adidas one from the early 90s was the same.

The green and purple stripes was outstanding though.
    I've only read this post so am I having a whoosh moment or have you been on the sauce all day (and night) 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Given that it's not hard to get your Nat King in Galashiels Nae Nookie you must be easily identified as the one permanently sad looking bloke walking about the toon.
    I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I've only read this post so am I having a whoosh moment or have you been on the sauce all day (and night) 😁
    Like NAE NOOKIE the man has taste

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Further to my previous reply I read out what you had said to my partner who is Gala born and bred expecting her to be affronted by your suggestion that Gala girls are easy ..... her reply was, 'he's not wrong'

Further to my previous reply I read out what you had said to my partner who is Gala born and bred expecting her to be affronted by your suggestion that Gala girls are easy ..... her reply was, 'he's not wrong'
    What's that saying as you travel east along the Tweed?
    Peebles for Pleasure.
    Innerleithen for Bonnie Lassies.
    And Gallie furra 5hag.

For the record:

Gony cut the gress fella meant mention when I was walking the dug

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

GGTTH
    Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Do tell!
    See my first goal thread #41

I was born and bred in Gorgie kicked oot the hoose with a key round ma neck as soon as I could walk and kick a fitba used to skip in to see the Hearts or get a lift over mister?

Ma Dad was a Big Hibby Gordon Smith Lawrie Reilly and Joe Baker man kept telling me Hearts were gash

Was devastated when Santa brought me ma first Hearts strip

LTYF

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    Gony cut the gress fella meant mention when I was walking the dug