hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mallan

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

Mallan

Difference in quality is obvious, whole team wide. However, I can’t help but think Mallan can’t play in midfield as his concentration is terrible and lacks hugely in mobility. We need to stop playing Mallan in same team as Allan. Doesn’t work. He needs to add more to his game. You can tell when Mallan switches off while defending, immediately apparent in body language.

We need to strengthen the midfield in January, more than 1 signing necessary. I would sell or loan some of the current players, I don’t think some are good enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I actually thought he was ok today

I think he’s too easy to criticise personally. After a defeat we always seem to find someone, I’d be looking at others before him if that’s the approach but don’t see what good it would do. Didn’t think he was that bad, any worse that Allan say?

Magnificent ball that almost lead to a goal.

No point picking out individual players.

We got beat by a better team, time to move on

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Difference in quality is obvious, whole team wide. However, I can’t help but think Mallan can’t play in midfield as his concentration is terrible and lacks hugely in mobility. We need to stop playing Mallan in same team as Allan. Doesn’t work. He needs to add more to his game. You can tell when Mallan switches off while defending, immediately apparent in body language.

We need to strengthen the midfield in January, more than 1 signing necessary. I would sell or loan some of the current players, I don’t think some are good enough.
    Funny that, did we not hump Aberdeen 3v0 last week?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Looked good together in midfield in our 3-0 win vs Aberdeen. Hecky tried it constantly and it was awful, although I’ve a feeling that was more to do with his setup than either of the players.

Absolutely need a proper defensive midfielder in the team which will allow Hallberg to be a bit more box to box. Not sure Mallan gets in the side once we’ve signed one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    I actually thought he was ok today
    Same here.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Magnificent ball that almost lead to a goal.

Mistakes were from Porteous and Allan today. That's what cost us.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Mallan was brilliant last week.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I thought he played pretty well today. Not to criticise Scott Allan but Mallan had a better game than him in my opinion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Totally. There’s no shame in it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Correct

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Funny that, how many times have Mallan and Allan played in same team this season and where are we in the league compared to Aberdeen?

In fairness to Mallan, I barely noticed him or Allan in today’s game. I thought both were poor. If neither are going to contribute to defending and tackling then they need to make sure we keep possession when we have the ball. Both were culpable in playing poor passes and taking the wrong options. Balance of squad will always be a mess when we are playing Boyle and some strange diamond. Also in fairness to them, Kamberi was probably our worst player. Rest of the team apart from those 3 did ok.

Hanlon and Porteous had good games.

Blog Entries
    Funny that, how many times have Mallan and Allan played in same team this season and where are we in the league compared to Aberdeen?

In fairness to Mallan, I barely noticed him or Allan in today’s game. I thought both were poor. If neither are going to contribute to defending and tackling then they need to make sure we keep possession when we have the ball. Both were culpable in playing poor passes and taking the wrong options. Balance of squad will always be a mess when we are playing Boyle and some strange diamond. Also in fairness to them, Kamberi was probably our worst player. Rest of the team apart from those 3 did ok.

Hanlon and Porteous had good games.
    So if you thought both Allan & Mallan were poor & Flo was our worst player, why did you start yet another thread about Mallan?

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

Mallan

Mallan was better than Scott Allan today but unfortunately both were still miles behind 34 year old Scott Brown who absolutely schooled them both in the middle of the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    So if you thought both Allan & Mallan were poor & Flo was our worst player, why did you start yet another thread about Mallan?
    Few things:

1 - I think the Allan and Mallan combo is a big problem, in games when it works, then it usually works well. If it doesn't then our defence is put under huge pressure. Mallan falling asleep and losing his man has frustrated me for months. I would always select Allan over Mallan.
    2 - I think this might be my 1st or possibly 2nd thread regarding Mallan.
    3 - This is a forum. It is for opinion sharing surely? My opinion is Mallan is not good enough, and without wanting to start another thread...Kamberi should be sold if there is any interest.

Coaching Staff

yep. that is the way I see it too.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post

Mistakes were from Porteous and Allan today. That's what cost us.
    I agree re Porteous, but did think it was Stevie Mallan who poked at the ball and lost possession.

Blog Entries
    Few things:

1 - I think the Allan and Mallan combo is a big problem, in games when it works, then it usually works well. If it doesn't then our defence is put under huge pressure. Mallan falling asleep and losing his man has frustrated me for months. I would always select Allan over Mallan.
    2 - I think this might be my 1st or possibly 2nd thread regarding Mallan.
    3 - This is a forum. It is for opinion sharing surely? My opinion is Mallan is not good enough, and without wanting to start another thread...Kamberi should be sold if there is any interest.
    I didn't mean you had started several threads about Mallan. It seems however as if someone does nearly every time we have a bad result. As for Flo, I posted last week that when he turns up we invariably play well. I agree however that he doesn't turn up enough & if we got a 7 figure offer for him I would certainly sell him.

Always find it incredibly funny when people who insist it’s always Allan over Mallan usually have a dig at Mallan’s defensive work to illustrate the point. Talk about blind spots.

The criticism of Mallan has always been OTT and at times verging on embarrassing. Times must be ok if this is our standard of scapegoat.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Always find it incredibly funny when people who insist it’s always Allan over Mallan usually have a dig at Mallan’s defensive work to illustrate the point. Talk about blind spots.

The criticism of Mallan has always been OTT and at times verging on embarrassing. Times must be ok if this is our standard of scapegoat.
    Agree with this.

Worked last week funnily enough. There will be games like today where you have to be a bit more realistic and say we cant play 2 attack minded midfielders together, we need to add a bit more steel in there, until we get at least another defensive minded tackling midfield, then we have to use who we have.

Slacking defensively is probably more accepted when you actually contribute offensively. Mallan rarely does now.

I really like Stevie Mallan. Dont get the constant critiscm of the guy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wasn’t our poorest in there today. Hallberg was invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Slacking defensively is probably more accepted when you actually contribute offensively. Mallan rarely does now.
    😴

��
    A quick stat check will prove me right. You probably knew that though, thats why you replied with a daft emoji instead of a counter argument.

@hibs.net private member

He’s a nice passer and he can hit a ball.

But, as you say he his not very mobile and can’t go past a man.

I agree that him and Allan in the same team is of dubious value and I was very surprised when it worked last week.

I should add that I did not see him today and therefore can’t pass comment on his performance.
    Last edited by judas; 15-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I like mallan and his cross field pass today was sublime, but he does switch off for a split second at throw ins to the opposition and tracking players. That split second is all it takes though for opposition players to get in front of him.

There was a couple of times today where he switched off or didn’t track but overall I think he brings more positives than negatives.