hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Developed through the Hearts youth system. We picked him up after they released him.

You've had to go back a very long way to find examples that justify the cost of running a development side, which proves my point. Think of the players we could have afforded to sign each season between Hanlon and Porteous if we hadn't had the fruitless expense of a development side reducing the budget for the men's first team.
    Cummings was also developed through the Hibs youth system. Just because he didn't come through it from under 8s or whatever age it starts at it doesn't mean he didn't. He would never have been able to come from Hutchison Vale under 17s to Hibs first team. He developed at Hibs into a first team player by playing in the Hibs development team.

IMO there shouldn't be a penny put towards the women team from the money generated by the mens team, whether that's shirt sales, sponsors, season tickets, league placings etc. By all means give them a hand with somewhere to train, strips, help them to get their own sponsor etc but they should be a stand alone team.

I also can't see womens football really taking off here in the way it might in some other countries. We've already got a huge percentage of the population - bigger than anywhere else in Europe - that go to mens football in Scotland. I doubt there's enough folk who will have the interest and/or time in following the womens teams on top of following the mens teams and I doubt there's many who only want to exclusively follow the women either.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 14-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i feel for the girls jamie-lee, aby harrison etc etc have left behind, they're not going to win any league winners medal with hibs, as soon as the old firm made their intentions to fund their teams i knew last season was most likely the last chance the hibs girls had to get their hands on some silverware, they couldn't win the league the last decade with just glasgow for competition, next season will be celtic/r angers competing for the top prizes, i think even glasgow will suffer now as well, unfortunately Dr Budge appears to have cottoned on as re womens football.
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 14-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Nobody was talking about funding the womans team when it was started, all they wanted was some strips and somewhere to train now and then.
    They only recently started getting strips. And that’s only one team. All the other teams still pay for their kit.

Nobody was talking about funding the womans team when it was started, all they wanted was some strips and somewhere to train now and then.
    Was anybody talking about player wages, season tickets, shirt sponsorships, all seater stadia, or player of the year dinners in 1875?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It's not a relatively small amount though. £100,000 is a lot of money to Hibs and could make a difference to our first team squad.
    Is it?

It's probably one player's wage, and that player's place in the squad would be filled by a good youngster. After all, we're diverting money from the first team to the development squad, so we need to see some benefit to the men's first team from that investment.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Cummings was also developed through the Hibs youth system. Just because he didn't come through it from under 8s or whatever age it starts at it doesn't mean he didn't. He would never have been able to come from Hutchison Vale under 17s to Hibs first team. He developed at Hibs into a first team player by playing in the Hibs development team.

IMO there shouldn't be a penny put towards the women team from the money generated by the mens team, whether that's shirt sales, sponsors, season tickets, league placings etc. By all means give them a hand with somewhere to train, strips, help them to get their own sponsor etc but they should be a stand alone team.

I also can't see womens football really taking off here in the way it might in some other countries. We've already got a huge percentage of the population - bigger than anywhere else in Europe - that go to mens football in Scotland. I doubt there's enough folk who will have the interest and/or time in following the womens teams on top of following the mens teams and I doubt there's many who only want to exclusively follow the women either.
    Cummings signed for Hibs when he was about 18. I don't think we can claim he is a product of our youth system.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Was anybody talking about player wages, season tickets, shirt sponsorships, all seater stadia, or player of the year dinners in 1875?
    I dont know, were they?

Is it?

It's probably one player's wage, and that player's place in the squad would be filled by a good youngster. After all, we're diverting money from the first team to the development squad, so we need to see some benefit to the men's first team from that investment.
    The market we operate in then yes I'd say it's alot of money. If we target a key signing and we can either offer them an extra £100,000 throughout their contract which would hopefully incentives them to sign or allocate that to the ladies team I know what I would prefer.

First Team Breakthrough
    I dont know, were they?
    So just trolling now then..

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    So just trolling now then..

get something back that nobody could possibly know the answer to, and i'm trolling.

Here's a question, you have a daughter, she loves football and loves Hibs. Her dream is to play for them. So you turn round and tell her you don't want her to be given the same opportunities as a man and be paid?

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Here's a question, you have a daughter, she loves football and loves Hibs. Her dream is to play for them. So you turn round and tell her you don't want her to be given the same opportunities as a man and be paid?
    I assume this is for me, i'd love it if my daughter was good enough to play professional women's football, why wouldn't any parent want what their children wanted?

First Team Breakthrough
    get something back that nobody could possibly know the answer to, and i'm trolling.
    Yes. Clearly.
    It is generally what you do to on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Yes. Clearly.
    It is generally what you do to on this topic.
    Ignore me then.

I assume this is for me, i'd love it if my daughter was good enough to play professional women's football, why wouldn't any parent want what their children wanted?
    Well you and some others, yes. But you would say 'not for Hibs, I support the men's team, I have no interest in watching you play. Even if you won the European Cup.'

First Team Breakthrough
    Ignore me then.
    No,I think your point if view is interesting and every bit as valid as mine. Just fundamentally disagree with you.I'd like you to respond to the actual points that people including me have made in response to you rather tha deliberately evade or - what seems to me - troll.

Bit of background which people may not be aware of.

The women's game in this country used to be massive, I'm talking around the 1920s, and thousands attended the games. Then the men's game felt threatened and the clubs and FAs essentially banned it.

Well you and some others, yes. But you would say 'not for Hibs, I support the men's team, I have no interest in watching you play. Even if you won the European Cup.'
    I want them to be self sufficient, its not for me but i understand why others might want to watch it.

I want them to be self sufficient, its not for me but i understand why others might want to watch it.
    Then give them a leg up. It's growing and will get bigger. To not take the opportunity we have to lead the way is counter productive and short term thinking. It's also the right thing to do.

Cummings signed for Hibs when he was about 18. I don't think we can claim he is a product of our youth system.
    Yip. From HV U19s.

I dont know, were they?
    Such things were unheard of in 1875, but the Hibs founders would have insisted that you had to be a Catholic to play for us. That got dropped very quickly and for most of our history we've been open to players of all faiths and none. Which proves that times and expectations change.

The market we operate in then yes I'd say it's alot of money. If we target a key signing and we can either offer them an extra £100,000 throughout their contract which would hopefully incentives them to sign or allocate that to the ladies team I know what I would prefer.
    It's probably been spent on Josh Vela, James Collins, Rowan Vine ….

I'd could go on but I don't want to ruin anyone's Saturday night more than I already have with those names.

We developed him into a first team player. We didn’t develop him from a bairn but when he signed for Hibs from a HV youth team he wouldn’t have been first team standard. That in my eyes suggests we had some part in his development into a professional first team footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    We developed him into a first team player. We didn’t develop him from a bairn but when he signed for Hibs from a HV youth team he wouldn’t have been first team standard. That in my eyes suggests we had some part in his development into a professional first team footballer.
    We didn’t. He had a natural ability to score goals. Claiming development is daft.

Then give them a leg up. It's growing and will get bigger. To not take the opportunity we have to lead the way is counter productive and short term thinking. It's also the right thing to do.
    It has been said before but those who want to fund the ladies team should do show, there could be an option to add £50 to your season ticket to fund them with an opt in or out.

IMHO no money should be diverted from the first team. We as Hibs fans have always been promised jam tomorrow well now is the time to invest in the Hibs men's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    It has been said before but those who want to fund the ladies team should do show, there could be an option to add £50 to your season ticket to fund them with an opt in or out.

IMHO no money should be diverted from the first team. We as Hibs fans have always been promised jam tomorrow well now is the time to invest in the Hibs men's team.
    So let's close down the development team. It's diverting money from the men's team and very rarely provides a regular first team player. Before Porteous you have to go back to Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    We didn’t. He had a natural ability to score goals. Claiming development is daft.
    It’s really not. So nobody developed him, whether that’s Hearts, HV or Hibs going by that logic as his ability to score goals was natural? Was he first team ready when he arrived from a Hutchison Vale youth team? If he wasn’t then he developed at Hibs into a first team player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post

I would be more than happy to top up my season ticket. Only made it to 3 games last season but Hibs Ladies provided a welcome relief from Heckingbottom's Hibs. It's not often you watch Rangers get spanked 8 nil

As others have said though, investing in the Ladies team will benefit the men's team in the long-term. It will create more support, certainly among children for Hibs and can broaden our fanbase, along with giving the team a higher profile through Champions League appearances, international caps and player sales to teams like Chelsea.

Developed through the Hearts youth system. We picked him up after they released him.

You've had to go back a very long way to find examples that justify the cost of running a development side, which proves my point. Think of the players we could have afforded to sign each season between Hanlon and Porteous if we hadn't had the fruitless expense of a development side reducing the budget for the men's first team.
    Agreed. And those players could've joined and trained on public parks because we wouldn't have a training centre without selling off players we developed. Don't worry though, we'd still have the old east as well.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I would be more than happy to top up my season ticket. Only made it to 3 games last season but Hibs Ladies provided a welcome relief from Heckingbottom's Hibs. It's not often you watch Rangers get spanked 8 nil

As others have said though, investing in the Ladies team will benefit the men's team in the long-term. It will create more support, certainly among children for Hibs and can broaden our fanbase, along with giving the team a higher profile through Champions League appearances, international caps and player sales to teams like Chelsea.
    Genuine question, has there been any studies done or evidence that a successful women’s team has tangible benefits to the men’s team? There was an article earlier in the year that showed women’s football across Europe (with England the exception, so given our proximity the Scottish ladies game may also buck the trend) that average attendances were actually dropping. We may be at the start of a boom in England & Scotland, but in Europe has the ladies game possibly peaked?

I don’t think it ‘s wrong to prefer Hibs’ mens and womens teams to operate separately and have free reign to grow their own revenue streams and live within their own means. Others can disagree and feel both are part of the same whole. Neither opinion is right or wrong. To answer your question about what if my daughter wanted to play for Hibs ladies. It would be no different to her wanting to take up cricket, darts, gymnastics or any other sport that has no appeal to me. I would support and encourage her and go to watch her because she’s my daughter. I’d also probably give her the same advice that I would if I had a son and he wanted to play for the men’s team. If that’s what you want to do, go for it but don’t put all your eggs in that basket as it’s very difficult to make a sustainable living from football.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.d...ope/a-48006356

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Genuine question, has there been any studies done or evidence that a successful women’s team has tangible benefits to the men’s team? There was an article earlier in the year that showed women’s football across Europe (with England the exception, so given our proximity the Scottish ladies game may also buck the trend) that average attendances were actually dropping. We may be at the start of a boom in England & Scotland, but in Europe has the ladies game possibly peaked?

I don’t think it ‘s wrong to prefer Hibs’ mens and womens teams to operate separately and have free reign to grow their own revenue streams and live within their own means. Others can disagree and feel both are part of the same whole. Neither opinion is right or wrong. To answer your question about what if my daughter wanted to play for Hibs ladies. It would be no different to her wanting to take up cricket, darts, gymnastics or any other sport that has no appeal to me. I would support and encourage her and go to watch her because she’s my daughter. I’d also probably give her the same advice that I would if I had a son and he wanted to play for the men’s team. If that’s what you want to do, go for it but don’t put all your eggs in that basket as it’s very difficult to make a sustainable living from football.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.d...ope/a-48006356
    There may well be, I'll do some digging to see. My experience is it definitely results in an increased interest from girls. That's an interesting article but it is worth noting it was written pre-World Cup, with the Euros in 2021 being in England there is also a great opportunity to continue the progress made by participation in the World Cup by Scotland. They are group favourites although do have yet to play Finland and Portugal and they could be tough games.

I agree about not putting your eggs in one basket and I think it's really important girls are given the same opportunities as boys. Obviously becoming a footballer at a top club is very difficult to achieve, so why make it harder for them to continue to play once they do so?

Hibs are in a great position to attract the best talent in Scotland. The academy is based in Edinburgh and the city itself can attract people. Much like Edinburgh City, who I'm sure I heard have the smallest average attendance in the SPFL, but they do well in the league as Edinburgh is attractive to players.

On the subject of attendances. I'd say they are going up, obviously when there is more at stake more will go e.g. the last final, Champions League and Hearts had a big crowd when they got promoted. But once someone goes, sees the team play well, and they play a great brand of attacking football and play with real flair, I'd say they are likely to go up. I'd say there are other countries doing well, Italy wasn't mentioned in the article but it's long ago that Juventus v Fiorentina had in excess of 30,000 at the game.
    Last edited by hibby rae; 14-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.