hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So let's close down the development team. It's diverting money from the men's team and very rarely provides a regular first team player. Before Porteous you have to go back to Hanlon.
    There is certainly a strong argument for doing that. St Johnstone did well for a number of years spending hee haw on youth development.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I don’t know, but the revenue created from the sponsorship on the front of the strip certainly is.
    So it's not poor marketing then. It's a commercial decision. Not poor marketing, as was the initial made up point.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    So it's not poor marketing then. It's a commercial decision. Not poor marketing, as was the initial made up point.
    Scenario 1 - Hibs made a conscious decision not to seek a shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

Scenario 2 - Hibs marketing department failed to find a suitable shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

I find scenario 2 more plausible, so it's hardly made up.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Scenario 1 - Hibs made a conscious decision not to seek a shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

Scenario 2 - Hibs marketing department failed to find a suitable shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

I find scenario 2 more plausible, so it's hardly made up.
    I'm not really sure what you're saying? Of course scenario 1 isn't remotely true. Why would the club not seek a shirt sponsor?

The point I initially replied to was about Hibs having poor narketing. My point was that it was a commercial decision, not a marketing failure.

Genuinely confused

So let's close down the development team. It's diverting money from the men's team and very rarely provides a regular first team player. Before Porteous you have to go back to Hanlon.
    Call it the Falkirk model.

By my counting, there were five academy graduates in the 18 last week.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There is an argument for not having a youth development system, but if we are to carry on having one and there has been no talk of not, at least they do come through and play for us.

Purple and green says 5 were in the squad last week, not a bad average i'd say.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    There is an argument for not having a youth development system, but if we are to carry on having one and there has been no talk of not, at least they do come through and play for us.

Purple and green says 5 were in the squad last week, not a bad average i'd say.
    Stevenson, Hanlon, Porteous, Murray & Shaw?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I dont know, i have not checked, just quoting another poster.

How long have Stevenson and Hanlon been around for?

Murray and Shaw are simply the latest fringe players. Scrap the development team and we could pick up the equivalent from another team without wasting money.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Yes indeed.

Stevenson and Hanlon are interesting - very unusual in this day and age to have 2 players with 10 plus years from the academy.

There's a paradox though - every time those two are selected, there's two less places for academy players.

Murray and Shaw are simply the latest fringe players. Scrap the development team and we could pick up the equivalent from another team without wasting money.
    You can play 11 players at a time, so there will always be fringe players. Falkirk believed the could scrap the development team and pick up equivalent players, and it's been a disaster for them. I think one of the issues that they have is they brought in a lot of players with no affinity or understanding of the club, guys just looking for a full time job when they were released from their previous club.

We're bringing in money from development fees all the time, and my understanding is that a large part of of our academy is funded through project brave - funding we would lose if we scrapped it.

I think the answer, is to improve the development, and have better players coming through - and my belief is that is what the club is doing - measuring performance and trying to improve all the time. Unfortunately that doesn't happen overnight, but there is a possibility that we might be having this same discussion in one or two years time.

If everybody scrapped their development teams, where would players come through? Few players make it out of the academy at their own club, but go on to have careers elsewhere. We’ve had benefit of the Celtic academy and St Mirren academies in recent years for example.

Much better spending my season ticket money on something that I might see on a Saturday as opposed to the women, who I’ll never see.

I see that the manager has resigned

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    shame, but unless you're a coach of sellick/sevco starting next season you're always going to lose your better players...for nowt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50802273

Grant Scott has resigned as head coach of Hibernian Ladies after becoming increasingly frustrated at the failure to affiliate the team more directly with the Easter Road club.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    I see that the manager has resigned
    I can see why he'll feel frustrated. Hibs are failing the women right now and wasting the opportunity they have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50802273

You would think by reading this that the Hibs ladies team are incredibly popular. Yet what is their average crowd? Is it not normally less than 1000? I dont know for sure as I dont know any Hibs fans that go to watch them.

It seems to upset some on here, but I too would rather NO funds from Hibs finds itself to the ladies team. Its nice to hear they do well, but really thats where my interest ends. Which looks to be the case for 99% as well, or they would be self sufficient and this discussion wouldn't be a thing.

And Im amazed some seem to think investing in a separate Woman's entity is the same in having development / boys teams which are there to benefit the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    You would think by reading this that the Hibs ladies team are incredibly popular. Yet what is their average crowd? Is it not normally less than 1000? I dont know for sure as I dont know any Hibs fans that go to watch them.

It seems to upset some on here, but I too would rather NO funds from Hibs finds itself to the ladies team. Its nice to hear they do well, but really thats where my interest ends. Which looks to be the case for 99% as well, or they would be self sufficient and this discussion wouldn't be a thing.

And Im amazed some seem to think investing in a separate Woman's entity is the same in having development / boys teams which are there to benefit the first team.
    How many players have we taken from the boys side and made any money on. If they are totally unwilling to invest then just come out and says thats a policy and let the club go and do its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    How many players have we taken from the boys side and made any money on. If they are totally unwilling to invest then just come out and says thats a policy and let the club go and do its own thing.
    Doesn't matter how many. That's a whole other discussion on if we have the right staff / techniques etc. But the whole point is that the system is there to find Hibs players. Its there to benefit the team. Putting money into the ladies team does not do that.

End of the day, Hibs ladies are one of the most successful teams in the country. Winning cups every year. And no one goes to watch them. Looking at this thread you would think there would be queues round the block to watch the team. But the interest is just not there.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post

Nice thought that they could be full time, funded by the men’s team etc but it’s just not feasible really. In an ideal world we could pump loads of money in and make them full time, best in Scotland, competitive in Europe etc but the club simply doesn’t have the money to be throwing at something which will provide a return nowhere near what they’d need to put in.