hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar

You couldn't write it!

I've been trying to get time to write this up since the weekend but not had a chance. It's a bit of a long read but it was a very special Hibs experience that I thought I would share...

Last week I took my boy to his first home match when Kilmarnock came to town, I did a wee write up of it in ’The First Time’ thread. Well, there's an update, my wee man's introduction to Hibs just got even better...

It a started with a rolled-up pair of socks. My son decided we were going to play football with a pair of socks as the ball, the door to his room was his goal and the bathroom was my goal. He announced he was Boyle, I had no idea he had remembered his name from the game. He asked me who I was, I said Mallan (I panicked).

So the game kicked off and I soon learned to win you needed to get to 10 goals. At 6-0 down, Mallan came back into the game and in quick succession scored 4 amazing free kicks (that I may have over celebrated). Though quickly Boyle got 2 more...at 8-4 down the game looked to be going to be called off, the ref told us it was time up (Dinner!!!), though we were granted a period of extra time. Just enough time for Boyle to win 10-6.

At dinner, all he wanted to talk about was Hibs and specifically Boyle. So I showed him a few of his goals, interviews and some of the wee funny clips he has been involved in. One of which was a recent one from HTC where Boyle quotes wrestler Chris Jerrico in saying ”a little bit of the bubbly” to a camera, he found this hilarious. I was delighted at his excitement.

It was all going so well then he drops the bombshell, ”Daddy can you call him, I want to tell him he is my favourite player”. How do I explain to him I don't have his number? Though he was persistent, so I racked my brains.

I suggested twitter (”what's twitter?”). He's been used to sending wee video messages to friends, so he seemed happy to give it a go. He did a sweet we bit about how Boyle was his favourite player, then comes out with ”Oooo a bit of the bubbly!” gave me a giggle. We uploaded and really I didn't expect anything, maybe a wee like or an acknowledgement from Boyle, at best.

What we got was so unexpected and a bit surreal really. After I got him to sleep, Boyle responded saying thanks for being a fan and offered him 2 tickets to the Aberdeen game with players lounge access. I was gobsmacked and in the morning my boy was bouncing, although I’m not sure he fully understood.

When Saturday came, he was so excited it was difficult to contain him. Reading this you will know what happened in the game, though before I was not confident about the result and had no idea if Boyle would play let alone start. So I was doing lots of damage limitation and expectation reduction.

So when we saw him start, play so well, score twice and win 3-0, I couldn't believe it. I got multiple messages from people who knew we were there saying ”you couldn't write it!” they are correct, though I'm going my best.

After the game, we bounced our way to the player's lounge and one by one, saw most of the players. They were great with him signing his program and posing for photos. Though there was no Boyle and as people began to leave I had to try and explain, we may not see him...not easy.

Just then, a man taps me on my shoulder and introduced himself as Martins Dad, he explained due to his man of the match performance, he was currently doing press, that he would also have to do an interview for corporate. Though his Dad said Martin wanted to meet my son...wow!

Not long after my son shouts Boyle, there he was, but he was ushered into corporate. Martins Dad told us to follow and sneak in at the back, so we both got to listen to his interview.

Then after a wee wait, Martin came out and spent some time with my son, told him he was his lucky mascot and must now come every week.

Finally, he walked my boy out the ground, shook his hand, said he would look out for his name on the team sheet in the future and told him to ”stay away from the bubbly!!!”.

As we headed to the car with my him on my shoulders, I think we both floated.

Memories made...thank you Martin Boyle...thank you Hibernian GGTTH!!!
    Last edited by St.Kristopher; 11-12-2019 at 10:52 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Absolutely magical mate!! I've got a 6 year old son nearly had a tear in my eye. Total hibs class and beautiful wee read before I hit the hay.

He's a star man playing on the right

First Team Regular
    excellent!!!!

Testimonial Due
    Class. Martin seems like a great lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's absolutely brilliant
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    This story is absolutely joyous.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This story is absolutely joyous.
    It's amazing, eh?

Well played Squirrel!!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

When people doubt there is such a thing as Hibs class, it's threads like this one that confirm it's existence

Quote Originally Posted by McVey View Post
    I've been trying to get time to write this up since the weekend but not had a chance. It's a bit of a long read but it was a very special Hibs experience that I thought I would share...

Last week I took my boy to his first home match when Kilmarnock came to town, I did a wee write up of it in ’The First Time’ thread. Well, there's an update, my wee man's introduction to Hibs just got even better...

It a started with a rolled-up pair of socks. My son decided we were going to play football with a pair of socks as the ball, the door to his room was his goal and the bathroom was my goal. He announced he was Boyle, I had no idea he had remembered his name from the game. He asked me who I was, I said Mallan (I panicked).

So the game kicked off and I soon learned to win you needed to get to 10 goals. At 6-0 down, Mallan came back into the game and in quick succession scored 4 amazing free kicks (that I may have over celebrated). Though quickly Boyle got 2 more...at 8-4 down the game looked to be going to be called off, the ref told us it was time up (Dinner!!!), though we were granted a period of extra time. Just enough time for Boyle to win 10-6.

At dinner, all he wanted to talk about was Hibs and specifically Boyle. So I showed him a few of his goals, interviews and some of the wee funny clips he has been involved in. One of which was a recent one from HTC where Boyle quotes wrestler Chris Jerrico in saying ”a little bit of the bubbly” to a camera, he found this hilarious. I was delighted at his excitement.

It was all going so well then he drops the bombshell, ”Daddy can you call him, I want to tell him he is my favourite player”. How do I explain to him I don't have his number? Though he was persistent, so I racked my brains.

I suggested twitter (”what's twitter?”). He's been used to sending wee video messages to friends, so he seemed happy to give it a go. He did a sweet we bit about how Boyle was his favourite player, then comes out with ”Oooo a bit of the bubbly!” gave me a giggle. We uploaded and really I didn't expect anything, maybe a wee like or an acknowledgement from Boyle, at best.

What we got was so unexpected and a bit surreal really. After I got him to sleep, Boyle responded saying thanks for being a fan and offered him 2 tickets to the Aberdeen game with players lounge access. I was gobsmacked and in the morning my boy was bouncing, although I’m not sure he fully understood.

When Saturday came, he was so excited it was difficult to contain him. Reading this you will know what happened in the game, though before I was not confident about the result and had no idea if Boyle would play let alone start. So I was doing lots of damage limitation and expectation reduction.

So when we saw him start, play so well, score twice and win 3-0, I couldn't believe it. I got multiple messages from people who knew we were there saying ”you couldn't write it!” they are correct, though I'm going my best.

After the game, we bounced our way to the player's lounge and one by one, saw most of the players. They were great with him signing his program and posing for photos. Though there was no Boyle and as people began to leave I had to try and explain, we may not see him...not easy.

Just then, a man taps me on my shoulder and introduced himself as Martins Dad, he explained due to his man of the match performance, he was currently doing press, that he would also have to do an interview for corporate. Though his Dad said Martin wanted to meet my son...wow!

Not long after my son shouts Boyle, there he was, but he was ushered into corporate. Martins Dad told us to follow and sneak in at the back, so we both got to listen to his interview.

Then after a wee wait, Martin came out and spent some time with my son, told him he was his lucky mascot and must now come every week.

Finally, he walked my boy out the ground, shook his hand, said he would look out for his name on the team sheet in the future and told him to ”stay away from the bubbly!!!”.

As we headed to the car with my him on my shoulders, I think we both floated.

Memories made...thank you Martin Boyle...thank you Hibernian GGTTH!!!
    Wonderful story, beautifully written....

Great stuff.
    In this cynical world of professional football there are great characters and thankfully the Hibs squad is full of them at the moment. It wasn't that long ago we were struggling for these men and it was a poor decline that resulted from that.
    The turning point for me was David Gray (Stubbs obviously but he wasn't a player) seen him at close quarters and just seemed right at the signing session in club store and then separately how he interacted with the club staff in ticket office. True leader and if he never plays another game his 4 yr deal will still be worth every penny imo.
    I believe McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson are the same but haven't seen them close up the same but that's the decency that operates as the standard and long may it continue.
    Tell young McVey that Boyler is our favourite too! Star Man!!

Lovely story McVey, so glad your son has such a great formative experience of Hibs.

Fair play to Boyler, always comes across like a genuinely good guy and someone who totally loves the club.

Quote Originally Posted by McVey View Post

Glad you cleared that up for me from the original thread.
    Gettin' auld.

Great story

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    Great stuff.
    In this cynical world of professional football there are great characters and thankfully the Hibs squad is full of them at the moment. It wasn't that long ago we were struggling for these men and it was a poor decline that resulted from that.
    The turning point for me was David Gray (Stubbs obviously but he wasn't a player) seen him at close quarters and just seemed right at the signing session in club store and then separately how he interacted with the club staff in ticket office. True leader and if he never plays another game his 4 yr deal will still be worth every penny imo.
    I believe McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson are the same but haven't seen them close up the same but that's the decency that operates as the standard and long may it continue.
    Tell young McVey that Boyler is our favourite too! Star Man!!
    Darren McGregor is always top notch. The epitime of the guy you want representing your club.
    My wife and daughter met him a couple of times, had a short chat and were smitten (as were a lot of other women present). Neither even like football!!!
    Had their photo's taken with him which is unprecedented for my daughter who wouldnae have her photo taken with bloody Elmo in Orlando not many years before.

Daughter, now a law student and still not interested in football, but has a Darren McGregor fridge magnet and a Hibs strip and asks me how Darren's injury is progressing. Has done stuff with the Hibs community foundation and no longer thinks all footballers are necessarily cretins. Sadly her impressions of my efforts in life remain at the same low level as pre Darren. Hey ho.
    Shows what a difference top guys like him make to the image of Hibs by being patient, tolerant and ALWAYS making a real effort with people they meet.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 12-12-2019 at 01:43 AM.

im sitting here at 2.30am reading this wonderful wee story and envisaging your wee lads face as all this was happening.
    The football game with the socks rolled up was a typical childhood way of expressing him self and his love for his team.

Martin loves Hibs and he is the type of player along with the others you mention that we need to keep here to remind the young players that come and go, just what it means to wear and play in that jersey.

To know how that felt for the wee man must be so special for you as a dad. it made me think of my son at that cup final and his emotional outpouring when we won the cup. His dad wasnt with him but he acknowledged how proud he was that we had shared the moment together. I will never forget how it felt to hear him say this.

These are memories no one can take away from them and im so glad that both of you had a chance to share that together.

Well done Martin and Hibs for making this memory for you both.

Testimonial Due
    Hibs class, Martin class.

Coaching Staff
    Martin is a credit to Hibs ....and the Socceroos!

Goodonya Digger!

Fantastic story and well done Martin Boyle, top man (or should that be star man?).

First Team Breakthrough chasitup's Avatar
    That's such a brilliant wee story, and I can imagine how your boy felt. Incredible stuff.

I ken his dad.
    We had our teen years in Dunbar together.

Just fantastic. Boyler sounds like a great guy. Unforgettable memories.

Lovely story and well done to Boyle!💚

I'll be taking my boy around spring, to his 1st ever Hibs game and hope its half as special as the day your boy had.

@hibs.net private member
    Sitting at Prague Airport waiting fir a flight home and trying to pretend my eyes are itchy to cover up my reaction to this great story and I imagine the wee man will remember it all his life. We follow a fantastic club and Boyler is a credit to Hibernian FC

I imagine most of us remember large parts of our first ever game at Easter Road, I certainly remember the excitement it gave the seven year old me in 1966. I may not by all of this right but my memory is that we were home to Kilmarnock and my older cousin was taking my brother and me to our first game. People were still carrying those wooden rattles that made such a great sound. We had been kitted our in hat and scarves and arrived early to avoid the queues. There were stalls where we each got a Hibs rosette to wear, green and white stiff paper with a little silver plastics player in the centre. Then of course a programme each with the teams shown in the centre pages. I do wish I had held on to these things now.
    We were taken right down to the wall at the Centre Line (hence my forum name) and the players looked like giants as they took to the field in their beautifully pressed and ironed cotton shirts and shirts. Full change at half tome too.
    Marshall, Duncan, Davis(captain), Stanton, Madson, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stephenson. No subs, that would come following season when Allan Cousins played that role.
    Like your boy I immediately had a favourite as Peter Cormack strutted his stuff with his shirt just pulled out from one side of his shorts. Mind you, Eric Stevenson was a close second, juggling and balancing the ball in his warm up, keepie uppie then balancing the ball on his head and neck.
    As the game unfolded we could buy things like Wrigley's spearmint gum, kitkats and cartons of orange juice from the boys parading round the trackside with their trays of tooth decay.
    Plenty of goals in a 3-3 draw and we went home captivated. I think my brother and I finished the day with a game of crab football in the bedroom corridor with my parents bedroom door and the end of the passage as goals. My brother will always tell you he won but .........we’ll that’s not how I remember it.

I wish you and your son many happy years of watching our great team and many many happy memories past and to come.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Lovely, touching story.

Hard to believe Mallan scored 6 in one game, though!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

That's brilliant and a wonderful memory you'll both have for life.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Sitting at Prague Airport waiting fir a flight home and trying to pretend my eyes are itchy to cover up my reaction to this great story and I imagine the wee man will remember it all his life. We follow a fantastic club and Boyler is a credit to Hibernian FC

I imagine most of us remember large parts of our first ever game at Easter Road, I certainly remember the excitement it gave the seven year old me in 1966. I may not by all of this right but my memory is that we were home to Kilmarnock and my older cousin was taking my brother and me to our first game. People were still carrying those wooden rattles that made such a great sound. We had been kitted our in hat and scarves and arrived early to avoid the queues. There were stalls where we each got a Hibs rosette to wear, green and white stiff paper with a little silver plastics player in the centre. Then of course a programme each with the teams shown in the centre pages. I do wish I had held on to these things now.
    We were taken right down to the wall at the Centre Line (hence my forum name) and the players looked like giants as they took to the field in their beautifully pressed and ironed cotton shirts and shirts. Full change at half tome too.
    Marshall, Duncan, Davis(captain), Stanton, Madson, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stephenson. No subs, that would come following season when Allan Cousins played that role.
    Like your boy I immediately had a favourite as Peter Cormack strutted his stuff with his shirt just pulled out from one side of his shorts. Mind you, Eric Stevenson was a close second, juggling and balancing the ball in his warm up, keepie uppie then balancing the ball on his head and neck.
    As the game unfolded we could buy things like Wrigley's spearmint gum, kitkats and cartons of orange juice from the boys parading round the trackside with their trays of tooth decay.
    Plenty of goals in a 3-3 draw and we went home captivated. I think my brother and I finished the day with a game of crab football in the bedroom corridor with my parents bedroom door and the end of the passage as goals. My brother will always tell you he won but .........we’ll that’s not how I remember it.

I wish you and your son many happy years of watching our great team and many many happy memories past and to come.

Brilliant!

Brought back memories of the smell o baccy short back and sides and the sheer vastness of the old stadium

To the OP

Hibs Class!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post

Erra macaroon bars.

Erra cheesettes.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Erra macaroon bars.

Erra cheesettes.
    👍🏻🤣
    In fifty/sixty years time I imagine the young McVey regaling his own children with his story and proud dad/grandad beaming in the background, no longer able to get those Mallan legs to kick a bundle of socks but very happy.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 12-12-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Nice story McVey - just when I thought I couldn't get that election thing out of my mind, you succeeded with your story (for a few minutes anyway) ...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Great story, Tell your lad that all the best supporters have Kilmarnock at ER as their first game. Mine was in 1979, a 1-1 draw that my Granda took me too. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley from the edge of the box to equalise. Now there was a player, I always think of him as the Hibs Le Tissier