hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only Umtiti (Cameroon) and Mandanda (Congo) were born outwith France. Both moved to France when they were 2 years old.

Lemar was born in Guadeloupe, which is officially part of France.

The rest were born in France, albeit often to immigrant parents.
    Vieira, Desailly, Thuram, Karembeu... I didnt mention year. France just sprung to mind as they have done pretty well out of players born outwith France.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McGeady was brilliant for Sunderland last season and is their top scorer this season despite falling out with new manager. If Ross wants him it's an absolute no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    There’s a difference signing a 33 year old journeyman or a 33 year old Aiden Mcgeady.

The guy has bags of ability.

https://youtu.be/9gIb_jLwAKk Not bad is it
    Him on the left and Boyle on the right. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Utter nonsense. How do you know what he thinks about his ethnicity and identity. You're havering.

"McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris.[68] After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times. Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools’ selects.[69]

The Republic of Ireland had no such rule preventing a player from being selected and instructed Donegal-born former Celtic player Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team.[2] McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents, who hail from the Gaeltacht area of Gweedore, County Donegal.[7][70][71] McGeady accepted the offer and joined the Irish youth setup.

McGeady was later named in a Scotland under-16 squad but declined the invitation, citing his experience of the Irish set-up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts.[7][68] This decision led to jeering from fans of other Scottish clubs, particularly Rangers supporters who referred to him as "that wee traitor from Castlemilk" in the controversial Famine song.|"
    Thanks for posting this. Loadsa concise facts.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    👍

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Would your daughter want to represent Greece ahead of Scotland presumably lived her whole life in this country because she feels more affinity with Greece than she does here? I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say no. Come back if and when it happens and I’ll give you an honest opinion,

I’m not going to say anything about your daughter based on hypothetical circumstances regardless. At least I know your basis of taking this extremely personal now though ��
    You may well have been disappointed that McGeady chose to play for Ireland over Scotland - so was I - but throwing around words like "traitor" is well out of court. If his grandad is Irish he has a very real and direct affinity with that nation - not only that he is at least a quarter genetically Irish FFS! That is at least as valid a reason for feeling pride in playing for a country as it being the nation you were born in.

Correction - going by the facts dredged from SuperfurryHibby's post McGeady is actualy HALF Irish by blood ("McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents"- so wind yer neck in 90 + 2 - you are making a complete arse of yourself
    Last edited by basehibby; 12-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.

McGeady on around 30k per week at Sunderland so unless he fancies a massive pay cut in the last few years of a short career we can forget it

Who started this thread.
    I have just checked and found that McGeady has a contract at Sunderland for the next 18 months.
    He won't be leaving Sunderland in January unless they pay his contract up no matter how much the manager wants him to go away.

He will be 35 when his Sunderland contract and will no doubt retire.
    The End.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 12-12-2019 at 01:48 PM.

I am sure it will have been said on this thread, but just as important as the player is the contract. A 3 year contract like Whittaker's would be get a thumbs down from me, but 1 year contract with an option for a second year for the club, which if declined then pay the player a reasonable compensation (not huge). 33 is not old, but by next season start he will be 34. (Can't fault my basic arithmetic).

Of course, McGeady might not be interested in a short term deal and get a two year offer from another club. Maybe even our neighbours? ;)

Anyone know if he has been injury prone?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    You may well have been disappointed that McGeady chose to play for Ireland over Scotland - so was I - but throwing around words like "traitor" is well out of court. If his grandad is Irish he has a very real and direct affinity with that nation - not only that he is at least a quarter genetically Irish FFS! That is at least as valid a reason for feeling pride in playing for a country as it being the nation you were born in.
    I would usually agree with this mate, I really would but I’ve no doubt that there’s the Celtic/Ireland thing same as huns/NI/England thing going on and that’s why mcgeady, who would have grown up in they surroundings didn’t play for Scotland. Sorry if I’ve offended you in any way and I realise it may be closer to the bone personally than just being pissed off with a footballer because my opinion is he’s pretend Irish. My Grandad was born bred Scouse, I wouldn’t consider myself Liverpudlian or want to play for England over Scotland if I was good enough either.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Better sticking to facts eh, rather than crap about finishing his career in Ireland etc.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Better sticking to facts eh, rather than crap about finishing his career in Ireland etc.
    No, he should still finish his career in Ireland in front of 10 men and a dug.
    He needs to feel the love of his adopted country.
    Put something back in.

Joined .net in the hope of getting away from the amount of roasters on the facebook Hibs pages but this place is full of them too. Jeezo, 5 pages of utter tripe.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie79 View Post
    Joined .net in the hope of getting away from the amount of roasters on the facebook Hibs pages but this place is full of them too. Jeezo, 5 pages of utter tripe.
    Just the five?

Wait till the puns in the transfer window thread start.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Just the five?

Wait till the puns in the transfer window thread start.
    Buzzing for that

Who started this thread.
    I have just checked and found that McGeady has a contract at Sunderland for the next 18 months.
    He won't be leaving Sunderland in January unless they pay his contract up no matter how much the manager wants him to go away.

The End.
    I started it.

A thread on the Sunderland forum entitled “hearing McGeady’s left / walked away from the club” has reached 59 pages in 2 days with no official confirmation yet that he has left the club.

Yes, he’s under contract but a fall-out is being widely rumoured.

If you think this 5 pager is pish, you should try wading through some of that.

Hibs are mentioned once or twice. McGeady has been hot and cold throughout his career but he had a flourish last season under Jack Ross. He played on, and played well, with a broken foot for a spell.

I’m not itk but thought it might be of interest.

Sunderland manager confirmed on twitter he will be leaving in January.

Wonder what those calling McGeady a traitor opinion is about Scott Allan? The man who said he was happy at hibs on hibs tv then a couple of weeks later handed in a transfer request right before the start of the season to try and force a move to the team who at the time were our main challengers for promotion? Is he not welcome at hibs now despite the fact it happened 5 years ago and hes probably our best player? Or do footballers and people in general not get a chance of redemption if theyve made a mistake?

Who started this thread.

The End.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I started it.

A thread on the Sunderland forum entitled “hearing McGeady’s left / walked away from the club” has reached 59 pages in 2 days with no official confirmation yet that he has left the club.

Yes, he’s under contract but a fall-out is being widely rumoured.

If you think this 5 pager is pish, you should try wading through some of that.

Hibs are mentioned once or twice. McGeady has been hot and cold throughout his career but he had a flourish last season under Jack Ross. He played on, and played well, with a broken foot for a spell.

I’m not itk but thought it might be of interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    McGeady has 18 months of his contract left.
    He is holding all the aces and will only move if it suits him which it probably won't.
    Phil Parkinson can make pointless statements all he wants and sqweem and sqweem and sqweem but McGeady is going nowhere without a pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Rumours that he’s had his contract torn up at Sunderland.

Played very well there under Jack Ross and has lost his way again under Parkinson.

There was a rumour a few weeks ago of Jack Ross wanting to sign a fairly high profile player.

Thoughts?
    Apologies, as usual posters ran here there and everywhere with a very valid and sensible OP

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Zero chance we could afford his wages.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Zero chance we could afford his wages.
    Zero chance his next wage will be anywhere near his current wage.

Imo he’s had his last really big contract and it’s just a case now of seeing how long he can prolong his career.

I dont want him at Hibs, imagne one bad game, it would just bring out all the boo boys who think hes a traitor, and I´m one of them who thinks hes a traitor, but, wouldnt boo him.

@hibs.net private member
    I would usually agree with this mate, I really would but I’ve no doubt that there’s the Celtic/Ireland thing same as huns/NI/England thing going on and that’s why mcgeady, who would have grown up in they surroundings didn’t play for Scotland. Sorry if I’ve offended you in any way and I realise it may be closer to the bone personally than just being pissed off with a footballer because my opinion is he’s pretend Irish. My Grandad was born bred Scouse, I wouldn’t consider myself Liverpudlian or want to play for England over Scotland if I was good enough either.

RUBBISH - he is HALF Irish by blood as both his dad's parents are Irish.

You have a bone to pick with plastic paddies obviously - well how about restricting it to that rather than people with a genuine heritage. You sound like a bigoted hun with your slaverings FFS!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    He was not allowed to play for Scotland because he was at Celtic. Pat Bonnar then got him to trait over to Ireland schoolboys. There was no poor treatment by the SFA.
    Exactly this. It was Celtic’s piss poor anti-Scotland, pro-Ireland stance that caused it!

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    All this faux outrage, if McGeady came to Hibs and played well he’d be a hero and we’d be up in arms about him getting booed at other grounds.

Fickle fitba fans, myself included. We’d forgive and forget about anything that’s went before if he’s doin the business.

I couldn't care less of he's a Boris-voting Tory from Timbuktu. He'd be good for Hibs, I reckon.

Calling him a traitor sounds like National Front sort of talk. Is this what it's gonna be like in an Indy Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    RUBBISH - he is HALF Irish by blood as both his dad's parents are Irish.

You have a bone to pick with plastic paddies obviously - well how about restricting it to that rather than people with a genuine heritage. You sound like a bigoted hun with your slaverings FFS!

Erm, you can only be half Irish if either of your parents are full Irish, in the case of having 2 Irish granddads, 2 quarters don't make a half. I have 2 Irish granddads but I'm only a quarter Irish.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Zero chance his next wage will be anywhere near his current wage.

Imo he’s had his last really big contract and it’s just a case now of seeing how long he can prolong his career.
    It will still be considerably higher than anything we can offer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    It will still be considerably higher than anything we can offer IMO.
    If he's not looked after the decent sums of money he'll have earned playing for Everton and Moscow then he might be best sitting in the stand watching Sunderland struggle for the next 18 months.

I don't think money will be his primary motivation, he might just want to finish his career enjoying his football playing under a manager he respects?