hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady

I dont want McGeady because we are already carrying enough elderly players to fill a pensioners outting bus trip. McGeady is the past not the future.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont want McGeady because we are already carrying enough elderly players to fill a pensioners outting bus trip. McGeady is the past not the future.
    Elderly? The guys is 33 ffs. A year younger than Sauzee was when he signed for us by the way...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Great servant who was a splendid left back in his later years more like.
    I know, but from memory he was more of a wing back and still managed to get down the byeline and put some crosses in, although as others have said, by the time I was watching him he wasn't quite the same player as he was earlier in his career.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    So - he was not allowed to play for Scotland because of archaic Scottish rules but it's not Scotland's fault?!?
    He wasn’t allowed to play for Scotland like every other player at that time. You didn’t see the rest of the players buggering off to play for Grandads homeland.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Elderly? The guys is 33 ffs. A year younger than Sauzee was when he signed for us by the way...
    Sauzee was a previous champions league winning player and was also a prominent player for France. McGeady is a washed up league one player. Only worth taking the risk on older players in some situations, this wouldn’t be one I’d want us to go for.

There’s a difference signing a 33 year old journeyman or a 33 year old Aiden Mcgeady.

The guy has bags of ability.

https://youtu.be/9gIb_jLwAKk Not bad is it

I got told by someone who knows Jack Ross that McGeady was on nearly £40k a week (along with Oviedo, whos now left), might be less now as he signed an extension last year, hence why hes never moved on from Sunderland as he wont get that anywhere else.

Going to put that rumour under, not happening.

For what its worth, even at 33, hes still a cracking player & wont get into any team outwith the old firm up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sauzee was a previous champions league winning player and was also a prominent player for France. McGeady is a washed up league one player. Only worth taking the risk on older players in some situations, this wouldn’t be one I’d want us to go for.
    Not comparing them as players am I. Just pointing out that 33 is not exactly elderly. And Im quite aware of Sauzee's career.

Also not convinced McGeady is washed up to be honest. Although I hope we dont go for him as its clear he would be the target of those delightful boo-boys in our support.

We do see now a number of sportsmen/woman representing Countries they were not born in.
    Rich Middle East/Gulf Countries have "adopted" top African athletes, for example.

This thread had me thinking on footballers who have played for more than one Country.

Two very famous and certainly world class players from the famous Real Madrid teams of the late 50s/early60s spring to mind.

Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Columbia and Spain.
    Ferenc Puskas represented both Hungary and Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    We do see now a number of sportsmen/woman representing Countries they were not born in.
    Rich Middle East/Gulf Countries have "adopted" top African athletes, for example.

This thread had me thinking on footballers who have played for more than one Country.

Two very famous and certainly world class players from the famous Real Madrid teams of the late 50s/early60s spring to mind.

Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Columbia and Spain.
    Ferenc Puskas represented both Hungary and Spain.
    Diego Costa - Spain/Brazil
    Declan Rice - ROI/England

I think people are getting their players mixed up, McCarthy stated from an early age his desire to play for Ireland, IIRC was it not due to his granddad. McGeady came through the system and was overlooked by us so Ireland came calling.

Not comparing them as players am I. Just pointing out that 33 is not exactly elderly. And Im quite aware of Sauzee's career.

Also not convinced McGeady is washed up to be honest. Although I hope we dont go for him as its clear he would be the target of those delightful boo-boys in our support.
    Kris Commons didn't do too bad in the games he played for us.
    34 or 35 he was then.
    5 games ,2 goals.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think people are getting their players mixed up, McCarthy stated from an early age his desire to play for Ireland, IIRC was it not due to his granddad. McGeady came through the system and was overlooked by us so Ireland came calling.
    He wasn’t over looked by us at all. He signed Schoolboy forms with Celtic so couldn’t (like many, many others) couldn’t play for Scotland at that level. He’s even said so himself. That, and supporting Ireland because he’s a Celtic supporter who thinks he’s Irish.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-james-mccarthy-ireland-scotland-1772284-Nov2014/%3famp=1

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Kris Commons didn't do too bad in the games he played for us.
    34 or 35 he was then
    5 games 2 goals
    Indeed. There are loads of older Hibs players that have done well. Im sure Craig Brewster was something like 35 when he signed for us. Even over the last few months plenty have said we shouldn't have got rid of 34 year old Mark Milligan.

Some folks just have a negative outlook though.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    He wasn’t over looked by us at all. He signed Schoolboy forms with Celtic so couldn’t (like many, many others) couldn’t play for Scotland at that level. He’s even said so himself. That, and supporting Ireland because he’s a Celtic supporter who thinks he’s Irish.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-james-mccarthy-ireland-scotland-1772284-Nov2014/%3famp=1
    He couldn't play for Scotland as a youth because he was at Celtic? Did that actually happen? If so that's as bad as Rangers not signing Catholics

@hibs.net private member
    He wasn’t allowed to play for Scotland like every other player at that time. You didn’t see the rest of the players buggering off to play for Grandads homeland.
    Maybe the rest of the players' grandads were all Scottish anyway.

Maybe he felt a particular affinity to Ireland through his family connections - and what business is it of yours if he did?!?

Or maybe he just relished the opportunity of playing international football for a country he has a genuine connection to - and once again - what business is that of yours when it's completely within the rules?

And if you would object to such a notion so vociferously then why do you support a team who's name means "Irish" anyway? Does that not also contravene your notions of uber-scottishness that you are so happy to demand of players?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He couldn't play for Scotland as a youth because he was at Celtic? Did that actually happen? If so that's as bad as Rangers not signing Catholics
    Schoolboys who had signed s-forms with professional teams couldn’t play for Scotland schools at the time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe the rest of the players' grandads were all Scottish anyway.

Maybe he felt a particular affinity to Ireland through his family connections - and what business is it of yours if he did?!?

Or maybe he just relished the opportunity of playing international football for a country he has a genuine connection to - and once again - what business is that of yours when it's completely within the rules?

And if you would object to such a notion so vociferously then why do you support a team who's name means "Irish" anyway? Does that not also contravene your notions of uber-scottishness that you are so happy to demand of players?
    So he’s a traitor then, and considers himself Irish like a vast proportion of the Celtic support.

If a Scottish footballer, considered the best of his generation chooses to play for another country I’ll comment regardless of what personal business it is of mines, cheers.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.the...v2014/%3famp=1
    Utter nonsense. How do you know what he thinks about his ethnicity and identity. You're havering.

"McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris.[68] After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times. Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools’ selects.[69]

The Republic of Ireland had no such rule preventing a player from being selected and instructed Donegal-born former Celtic player Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team.[2] McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents, who hail from the Gaeltacht area of Gweedore, County Donegal.[7][70][71] McGeady accepted the offer and joined the Irish youth setup.

McGeady was later named in a Scotland under-16 squad but declined the invitation, citing his experience of the Irish set-up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts.[7][68] This decision led to jeering from fans of other Scottish clubs, particularly Rangers supporters who referred to him as "that wee traitor from Castlemilk" in the controversial Famine song.|"

Schoolboys who had signed s-forms with professional teams couldn’t play for Scotland schools at the time.
    Cheers. Didn't know that. Every day a school day!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Utter nonsense. How do you know what he thinks about his ethnicity and identity. You're havering.

"McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris.[68] After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times. Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools’ selects.[69]

The Republic of Ireland had no such rule preventing a player from being selected and instructed Donegal-born former Celtic player Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team.[2] McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents, who hail from the Gaeltacht area of Gweedore, County Donegal.[7][70][71] McGeady accepted the offer and joined the Irish youth setup.

McGeady was later named in a Scotland under-16 squad but declined the invitation, citing his experience of the Irish set-up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts.[7][68] This decision led to jeering from fans of other Scottish clubs, particularly Rangers supporters who referred to him as "that wee traitor from Castlemilk" in the controversial Famine song.|"

You’re trying to say a vast proportion of the Celtic support don’t favour Ireland over Scotland?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    You’re trying to say a vast proportion of the Celtic support don’t favour Ireland over Scotland?
    Who knows and who cares? I don't really get too worked up about which national side fans of other teams might favour. Why does it matter so much to you?

PS: you're straying a bit, first of all it was because a wonderful talent choose to desert the national side, now it's a massive assumption about fans and countries they align with.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 12-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.

I wonder if all the non-French born world cup winners get called traiters etc as well. Players pick nations other than their place of birth all over the word. Its just part of football now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Who knows and who cares? I don't really get too worked up about which national side fans of other teams might favour. Why does it matter so much to you?
    It mattered at the time, not much now. It matters more when it becomes a fact that Scotland treated the player badly or where somehow at fault for overlooking him. He’s also a diving, cheating moaning faced so and so too. Past his best by years.

Left by mutual consent!
    I wonder if all the non-French born world cup winners get called traiters etc as well. Players pick nations other than their place of birth all over the word. Its just part of football now.
    Most non-French born players still grew up, Schooled and worked in France, I can actually see why they would have affinity with that country.

It mattered at the time, not much now. It matters more when it becomes a fact that Scotland treated the player badly or where somehow at fault for overlooking him. He’s also a diving, cheating moaning faced so and so too. Past his best by years.
    Im getting the impression your a bit of a fan of his?

@hibs.net private member
    So he’s a traitor then, and considers himself Irish like a vast proportion of the Celtic support.

If a Scottish footballer, considered the best of his generation chooses to play for another country I’ll comment regardless of what personal business it is of mines, cheers.

My wife was born in England - both her parents are Greek. My Daughter was born in Australia and grew up in Scotland - her dad (me) is Scottish.

So - by your reckoning, if my daughter decided to play for Greece at some sport or another she would be a "traitor" to Scotland - is that right?

Most non-French born players still grew up, Schooled and worked in France, I can actually see why they would have affinity with that country.
    Some did, some didnt. It happens. Just like Hargreaves, Deco, Podolski, Diego Costa, Eusebio, Di Stefano..... Even our own Kamberi has decided to do the same. Dont really see the point in getting so upset about it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Only Umtiti (Cameroon) and Mandanda (Congo) were born outwith France. Both moved to France when they were 2 years old.

Lemar was born in Guadeloupe, which is officially part of France.

The rest were born in France, albeit often to immigrant parents.

Left by mutual consent!
    My wife was born in England - both her parents are Greek. My Daughter was born in Australia and grew up in Scotland - her dad (me) is Scottish.

So - by your reckoning, if my daughter decided to play for Greece at some sport or another she would be a "traitor" to Scotland - is that right?
    Would your daughter want to represent Greece ahead of Scotland presumably lived her whole life in this country because she feels more affinity with Greece than she does here? I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say no. Come back if and when it happens and I’ll give you an honest opinion,

I’m not going to say anything about your daughter based on hypothetical circumstances regardless. At least I know your basis of taking this extremely personal now though 👍